What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it okay to be bi-codal?

Are you bi-codal?

• NRL Only

Votes: 92 36.7%
  • NRL + A-League

Votes: 53 21.1%
  • NRL + AFL

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • NRL + Rugby Union

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • NRL + AFL + A-League + Union (complete sport whore)

Votes: 41 16.3%

• Total voters

mongoose

Coach
NRL, EPL and NBA are the ones i follow closely.

I don't really follow the A-League but i occasionally attened games. It is just such poor quality and slow compared to european football.

I just can't get into AFL and I have really tried to as i've had girlfriends and mates who love it. It is seriously like netball except on a huge field and you can kick it.

I just can't get into AFL and I have really tried to as i've had girlfriends and mates who love it. It is seriously like netball except on a huge field and you can kick it.
Netball is a good sport. Fast & skilful.
& Netball is far more physical,plus they dont need 150+ interchanges per side,& they can actually CATCH the ball.

brad_19

Juniors
ooooh, so you go to see the Storm and you're a massive RL fan eh?

Errr... not that I need to justify myself to you, but yes, i AM a massive RL fan. I watch almost every game for the round (except the Nein matches which are played at stupid hours) and support the code by attending internationals and Origin games when they're played in "Victoriania".

Who said your "state of birth was part of the agenda"?

Well why the hostility then? Because I grew following a sport that you don't? Hmmm.

There is something inately wrong with someone who follows both codes. Seek help.

Right, will do. :sarcasm:

You guys?

Who are "you guys"?

And why do you think people on a Rugby League messageboard are trying to grow and promote the game?

Do you think we're on a Rugby League website to grow and promote the game?

To whom are we preaching, the converted?

I personally don't want AFL fans to convert. Our supporter base can't take the hit to its average IQ.

"You guys" are the anti-Victorian people on here unwilling to accept that people out of NRL heartland might actually show an interest in the game. You should be encouraging people from non-heartland states to follow and support the code so we can grow the game. But oh no, you don't care about the code growing outside of your own backyard. Most supporters would want what's best for the sport no? What's best for the sport is being a national competition and the major football code in every state. Right now, we're a long way off.

I'm not anti-Victorian, there are some good people from Victoria. I'm anti-Victorianian. For the record though, Melbourne is a toilet. It's the worst place I've ever visited.

Fantastic. Hope we don't see you back. :lol:

Who said you have to hate it?

What you could have done is said "I follow Rugby League and AFL". Others have said it, did you see anyone attack them?

I responded to an ill-informed comment that people can't follow both codes. Who says so, you? Oh well, in that case...

But you didn't did you? You got sucked into an argument you're ill-equipped to handle.

Just lol. Absolute keyboard warrior at its finest, or should I say "merkin". Are Victorians even allowed to use that term on here? :lol:

Last edited:

danny_luczak

Juniors
I think the attitude shown towards those following AFL and NRL seem somewhat unjustified. We have to remember that Perth are a frontrunner for NRL expansion, and although there is a rugby league following over there, to be successful they will need to capture the minds of some AFL types.

I do wonder if there will be such hostility shown towards the people of Perth, given that they do not have a massive rivalry with the state of NSW that Victoria does, even though AFL is arguably as popular there as it is in Vic.

We're really shooting ourselves in the foot if we attack those who can and have embraced more than one code. As long as they provide support through TV viewing, attendance, and just general support, who in their right mind could say that is a bad thing?

My favourite sporting days this year have been when both Carlton and Storm have been scheduled pretty much back to back, I'm financially supporting both codes? That makes me inferior?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Must admit I go for all the Perth teams except the Force. After what RU tried to do to RL over the century it is the only sport I can honestly say I hate. Other than the Rah rahs I hope all our clubs do well and whilst not willing to sit through a whole game of other sports I do look for the results of our cities teams.

Errr... not that I need to justify myself to you, but yes, i AM a massive RL fan. I watch almost every game for the round (except the Nein matches which are played at stupid hours) and support the code by attending internationals and Origin games when they're played in "Victoriania".

Where do you get the time to follow your inbred passion, AFL?

And no one asked you to justify yourself, feel free to stop doing it. We get enough life stories here.

Well why the hostility then? Because I grew following a sport that you don't? Hmmm.

What hostility?

You were trying to justify following AFL. There is no need to justify it, ask yourself why you try.

Or are you just going to miss every point?

Right, will do. :sarcasm:

I wasn't kidding.

"You guys" are the anti-Victorian people on here unwilling to accept that people out of NRL heartland might actually show an interest in the game.

I'm not anti-Victorian.

I'm anti Victorian.

How many times do you need that repeated before it sinks in?

There are plenty of great non-heartland Rugby League fans, you just don't happen to be one of them.

You should be encouraging people from non-heartland states to follow and support the code so we can grow the game.

We?

Why would I worry about "encouraging people from non-heartland states" to follow the sport, there are people whose job it is to do that.

The moment the Storm stop being an AFL-ised Rugby League team is the moment they get some respect from me. Until then, I'll hate the pricks with slightly less passion than I hate AFL.

But oh no, you don't care about the code growing outside of your own backyard. Most supporters would want what's best for the sport no? What's best for the sport is being a national competition and the major football code in every state. Right now, we're a long way off.

Why do you think you know what's best for the sport?

And the "we" thing again.

Who are "we"?

Fantastic. Hope we don't see you back. :lol:

I'll happily never set foot in the place again. There's a reason it's at the bottom of the map. If Australia needs an enema, they'll stick the hose in Melbourne.

I responded to an ill-informed comment that people can't follow both codes. Who says so, you? Oh well, in that case...

There was nothing ill-informed in the comment. AFL to an actual fan of any of the codes I mentioned looks like seagulls fighting over a chip. It's a dog's breakfast that has no structure and is all about giving gifts to the untalented.

Just lol. Absolute keyboard warrior at its finest, or should I say "merkin". Are Victorians even allowed to use that term on here? :lol:

You love the emoticons don't you?

You just work out how to use them? Congratulations.

Keyboard warrior? lol

For calling you an AFL fan?

You are an AFL fan.

You're the warrior champ, a warrior for AFL.

Let's be honest, you're a Victorian hick trying to convince a Rugby League fan that you're a Rugby League fan. You could have just said "I'm an AFL and Rugby League fan" but you didn't. Ask yourself why?

Seeing as how you're a borderline-geniused Victorian who has touble seeing the wood for the trees, I'll answer it for you.

You felt it necessary to defend AFL and the fact that you've been bred to follow it. It's not my fault that the sight of 18 grown men wearing singlets and tight shorts running though a big banner made of toilet paper starts a bulge in your pants. It's not my fault that you salivate over the sight of a scoreboard that says your team was slightly better at not missing the point of the game than the other team. It's not my fault that you start heavy breathing and improper personal fondling when you hear the immortal word "bawwwwwlllllll". It's not my fault that for 4 hours every year you sit glued to the TV to watch something called "The browneye". It's not my fault that you cheer every time some nonce with a couple of white flags starts to wave them like he's trying to land a jet on an aircraft carrier....

You know who to blame, blame them. f**king Victorian pansy.

Up yours Cazaly. Now that's hostility...

I think the attitude shown towards those following AFL and NRL seem somewhat unjustified. We have to remember that Perth are a frontrunner for NRL expansion, and although there is a rugby league following over there, to be successful they will need to capture the minds of some AFL types.

I do wonder if there will be such hostility shown towards the people of Perth, given that they do not have a massive rivalry with the state of NSW that Victoria does, even though AFL is arguably as popular there as it is in Vic.

We're really shooting ourselves in the foot if we attack those who can and have embraced more than one code. As long as they provide support through TV viewing, attendance, and just general support, who in their right mind could say that is a bad thing?

My favourite sporting days this year have been when both Carlton and Storm have been scheduled pretty much back to back, I'm financially supporting both codes? That makes me inferior?

Yep.

Shorty

Staff member
NRL fans don't start off hating AFL (the governing body etc) it's the arrogant and brainwashing approach that people don't like.
I love League but if I have a mate that supports an AFL team I'm not about to go 'Oooh how can you watch that sh*t, there's no skill, it's so unstructured...they're ghey etc' I WANT to say that but I don't.
Enter AFL fans 'We don't watch League down here, AFL has so much skill, have you been to the MCG? The atmosphere is so good, the NRL gets no crowds' and the list goes on.

I don't like AFL - For the reasons I said, it's messy, unstructured and clumsy...to me it is the antisport....because despite all the wanking, there really is no skill.
I'll concede that the FF in the game require a great deal of skill to kick to that angle, but that's about the only thing.
They don't know how to 'land' when they jump, apart from the FF, the kicking appears to have a great deal of 'kick and hope for the best' about it.
The tacking is....embarrassing, most of the time it's grabbing or shoving.
The supposed 'marks'....anyone that has played a sport using hands ( and even Soccer has the goalie) can or are taught to catch similar.

AFL is sport's 'Apple' market the f**k out of it like it's God and the masses will believe it.
Don't mind if people follow it, don't tell me it's the best game or a better game than League - If AFL was so wonderful it would be sh*tting on everyone internationally.
Instead you get fed the 'We don't need to spread our game internationally, it's Australia's game etc'.

I'm betting they've tried to sell it internationally and, like their players, fallen on their heads.

Parra

Referee
Must admit I go for all the Perth teams except the Force. After what RU tried to do to RL over the century it is the only sport I can honestly say I hate. Other than the Rah rahs I hope all our clubs do well and whilst not willing to sit through a whole game of other sports I do look for the results of our cities teams.

You been drinking the cool-aid?

brad_19

Juniors
Where do you get the time to follow your inbred passion, AFL?

And no one asked you to justify yourself, feel free to stop doing it. We get enough life stories here.

What hostility?

You were trying to justify following AFL. There is no need to justify it, ask yourself why you try.

Or are you just going to miss every point?

I wasn't kidding.

I'm not anti-Victorian.

I'm anti Victorian.

How many times do you need that repeated before it sinks in?

There are plenty of great non-heartland Rugby League fans, you just don't happen to be one of them.

We?

Why would I worry about "encouraging people from non-heartland states" to follow the sport, there are people whose job it is to do that.

The moment the Storm stop being an AFL-ised Rugby League team is the moment they get some respect from me. Until then, I'll hate the pricks with slightly less passion than I hate AFL.

Why do you think you know what's best for the sport?

And the "we" thing again.

Who are "we"?

I'll happily never set foot in the place again. There's a reason it's at the bottom of the map. If Australia needs an enema, they'll stick the hose in Melbourne.

There was nothing ill-informed in the comment. AFL to an actual fan of any of the codes I mentioned looks like seagulls fighting over a chip. It's a dog's breakfast that has no structure and is all about giving gifts to the untalented.

You love the emoticons don't you?

You just work out how to use them? Congratulations.

Keyboard warrior? lol

For calling you an AFL fan?

You are an AFL fan.

You're the warrior champ, a warrior for AFL.

Let's be honest, you're a Victorian hick trying to convince a Rugby League fan that you're a Rugby League fan. You could have just said "I'm an AFL and Rugby League fan" but you didn't. Ask yourself why?

Seeing as how you're a borderline-geniused Victorian who has touble seeing the wood for the trees, I'll answer it for you.

You felt it necessary to defend AFL and the fact that you've been bred to follow it. It's not my fault that the sight of 18 grown men wearing singlets and tight shorts running though a big banner made of toilet paper starts a bulge in your pants. It's not my fault that you salivate over the sight of a scoreboard that says your team was slightly better at not missing the point of the game than the other team. It's not my fault that you start heavy breathing and improper personal fondling when you hear the immortal word "bawwwwwlllllll". It's not my fault that for 4 hours every year you sit glued to the TV to watch something called "The browneye". It's not my fault that you cheer every time some nonce with a couple of white flags starts to wave them like he's trying to land a jet on an aircraft carrier....

You know who to blame, blame them. f**king Victorian pansy.

Up yours Cazaly. Now that's hostility...

Do people actually take this imbecile seriously? :lol:

LordLeague

Juniors
By the way, NRL is not a sport. RUGBY LEAGUE is a sport.

Give me NRL, SOO, Super League, Tests - Love it all.

If I stumble across Rugby Onion or Cross-Country Basketball on the telly, my body flies into a kind of involuntary convulsion until the cannel is changed. I guess they just don't agree with me.

Lord League

sting

Bench
Thanks to the wonders of the internet it's possible to follow any sport in any country on the planet.

There's probably a site somewhere illegally streaming the 2011 Russian Vodka drinking world cup...

lol I know, just curious as to how one would decide on a certain team and go with it, as I often find it's hard to get fully into something without a team to blindly support.

Yeah looks very random i know but the internet helps so do magazines and
tv shows.Super league is the hardest to keep up with though

Sharks-NRL-They started showing nswrl games on sky and all my friends and cousins had a team the only vacant team was cronulla
Wildcats-ESL-same as with cronulla

Blue Bombers-CFL-made friends with some Canadians and they introduced me to it,very hard to follow it in australia luckily i have friends in Alberta who send me tapes and the CFL website help aswell

Rockets-NBA and Chargers-NFL-Started following both in 94 good years for both keeping up is easy with espn and fox and streaming online
Chicago-MLB-Started watching on sky and took a liking to the North siders
possibly because i liked early edition,being able to watch on ESPN and FOX helps and streming games
Stone Crabs-Minor Leagues-started when i was a kid due to Crabs being my favourite animal.I can listen to games online
San jose-NHL-Canadian friends introduced me to hockey and loved it ever since pressure from friends in Calgary and Columbus to adopt their teams
they send me sweaters and other merchandise and tapes of games hopefully coverage on fox should get better as versus will be screening more games next year

San Lorenzo-I made friends with a couple from Buenos Aires and we ended up adopting each others teams they send tapes and newspaper clippings and i send them league magazines and tapes of games
{i feel terrible for having inflicted cronulla upon them}

Ah k cool! I do feel sorry for your friends from Argentina haha

brad_19

Juniors
You waved the white flag quicker than a goal umpire after an AFL player missed again.

Thanks for coming.

Hey, I'm still here. Hit me with more of the same usual shit... Victorian, AFL sucks, Victoria is the hell-hole of Australia. Got anything else new? God it's gonna sting when all you Sydneysiders watch us hold up another trophy this year. You're all as geniused as each other.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hey, I'm still here. Hit me with more of the same usual shit... Victorian, AFL sucks, Victoria is the hell-hole of Australia. Got anything else new? God it's gonna sting when all you Sydneysiders watch us hold up another trophy this year. You're all as geniused as each other.

:lol: Like your trophies in 09 and 07 yeah?

maccattack

Juniors
Rugby League is the ultimate team sport in my opinion. I used to watch EPL and NFL always making a point of taking the day off for the super bowl. That was 15 years ago. Watched a bit of union for a while but got really bored with it. Could never get into victorian rules. With all the catting that goes on and the general overall lameness of it.

These days I only watch rugby league as I believe it offers everything a sports fan could want. No other sport can match it as far as Im concerned. Why would I waste my time on anything else.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Rugby League is the ultimate team sport in my opinion. I used to watch EPL and NFL always making a point of taking the day off for the super bowl. That was 15 years ago. Watched a bit of union for a while but got really bored with it. Could never get into victorian rules. With all the catting that goes on and the general overall lameness of it.

These days I only watch rugby league as I believe it offers everything a sports fan could want. No other sport can match it as far as Im concerned. Why would I waste my time on anything else.

I hear all that.
But what if your team was cheated out of the competition - then spent 11 years trying to get back in but constantly cheated out of a return.
How would you feel about rugby league then?

Latest posts