What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it racist to cheer against the Indigenous team?

Rebel

First Grade
Your logic would be sound if the best player ever (inglis) and the best half in the game (thurston) and last years dally m, and a disproportionately high percentage of the top 20 players in league, and a disproportionately high percentage of the best team ever (current maroons) weren't all indigenous.

Firstly, lol@inglis "best player ever". And secondly, just because lots of good players are indigenous, doesnt mean they are the best players. When you break it down and it comes to talent and ability,

Last years 1-17 for the All stars > Last years 1-17 indigenous.

The all stars team are generally better overall, than the indigenous side. And it isnt racist to simply point out that fact.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Is a person racist if they cheer for the Aboriginal team as the All Stars have players of kiwi and English heritage? Political correctness gone mad :crazy:

Rebel

First Grade
One could even argue that by simply having an indigenous team that itself, is a form of racism. Wheres the white team? wheres the pacific island team? etc.

Tone83

Juniors
:lol::lol:

Been around for over 100 years have you?
He's not even the best player of his time.
The top 10 best players of this time would also be the top 10 best players of all time. We're in a golden era, and also all sports just evolve. Have you seen footage of league from even the 70s? It's laughable, they all weigh about 70 kgs and are slower than dave taylor (not even an exageration), not one of them knows how to pass. Go further back in time it just gets worse. I have a 5 year old neice that can pass better than anyone could in the 70s, not even joking. She can spiral it hard into your chest left or right handed, watch fatty vautin play that silly passing game on the footy show and you'll note he can't do it left or right handed. If someone with his skill level tried to join an under 10s league team today they'd be told to go play video games.
Any kid playing league today could get in a time machine and be the best player of any time in history.

So yes, the best player right now is definitely the best player ever.

And I would argue that player is inglis, and I'd make a pretty good argument if you wanted to get into it. The only way I can see myself losing that argument would be if someone came from the "has to be a half" bullshit angle, in which case thurston would just replace inglis anyway. Admittedly not as convincingly as inglis, but like I said it's a bullshit angle anyway. The best player should display all skills, not just playmaking and kicking.
Inglis is the most monstrously talented rugby league player of all time. Most talented rugby-ball playing human ever, not even confined to league. The only better egg-shaped ball players in history have been in the nfl.

bender

Juniors
The top 10 best players of this time would also be the top 10 best players of all time. We're in a golden era, and also all sports just evolve. Have you seen footage of league from even the 70s? It's laughable, they all weigh about 70 kgs and are slower than dave taylor (not even an exageration), not one of them knows how to pass. Go further back in time it just gets worse. I have a 5 year old neice that can pass better than anyone could in the 70s, not even joking. She can spiral it hard into your chest left or right handed, watch fatty vautin play that silly passing game on the footy show and you'll note he can't do it left or right handed. If someone with his skill level tried to join an under 10s league team today they'd be told to go play video games.
Any kid playing league today could get in a time machine and be the best player of any time in history.

So yes, the best player right now is definitely the best player ever.

And I would argue that player is inglis, and I'd make a pretty good argument if you wanted to get into it. The only way I can see myself losing that argument would be if someone came from the "has to be a half" bullshit angle, in which case thurston would just replace inglis anyway. Admittedly not as convincingly as inglis, but like I said it's a bullshit angle anyway. The best player should display all skills, not just playmaking and kicking.
Inglis is the most monstrously talented rugby league player of all time. Most talented rugby-ball playing human ever, not even confined to league. The only better egg-shaped ball players in history have been in the nfl.

Different rules mean different attributes were important. For example:
Dropped balls and missed tackles used to mean a lot more under the 5 m rule, particularly. For a while there, state of origin was decided based on one single error. Modern players wouldnt be given the free 60 m gain they are under the current 10 m rule. In fact, if refs have a big 10 m, as opposed to a skinny 5 m, opposing teams are given about a 40 m free ride every set of 6. this makes a massive difference.

Long passes are more important in the modern game because of the quick play the ball and the distance teams are kept apart. Not often a chance to throw the long spiralling pass if your opponent is in your face and waiting for the intercept. This is why teams could often drop player out of the line to play as a second fulback, if they wanted to. Long passes around the defence were not usually possible.

Modern hookers do not know how to hook. If an old team were to play a modern team, they would not win a single scrum and therefore be completely starved of possession. No matter how good they are, they could not win without possession. Theoretically i suppose it shouldnt be too hard to learn these skills, but they would really struggle as they are now, especially with the next problem.

cheap shots in the scrum or elsewhere would leave the important players in a modern side really struggling, and to be honest, i get the feeling that despite being physically superior many modern players would really struggle to deal with the warzone that was football from the 70s.

Interchange. Without interchange, i really get the feeling that some modern forwards would struggle to carry their weight around and become serious liabilities towards the end of teh game.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
Of course players now are fitter, faster, stronger, kick longer, pass longer, tackle more, run further etc. it still doesn't automatically make them all the best ever to play the game.

Players are judged relative to the state of the game and other players of their era. Norm Provan may not have won 10 premierships in the current game, maybe not have even made 100 appearances. Doesn't mean he isnt close to being considered an immortal of the game.

Tone83

Juniors
To me the best ever means if you had a time machine and plucked all the top players out of their times in their primes and put them all on the same football field tomorrow, the best player would be the best. That player is inglis for me. Norm provan or clive churchill or whoever else would get fended into the stratosphere if they tried to tackle GI and they'd get suplexed over the sideline with the ball taken off them in the same motion if they tried to run at him. Therefore they're no where near as good.

I understand there is a separate conversation to be had where you factor in the quality of the era and how that player stood in relation to his era and what they achieved in their time and etc etc, I just wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the best in an absolute sense. That player is inglis, and the top 100 are all from the last 20 years, max. About 90 of them the last 5 years.

bottle

Coach

Forget the NFL, you have nfi.
Inglis isn't even the best fullback of his time, let alone player.
When you get that time machine do us all a favour and go back and stop yourself being created.

bottle

Coach
Is a huge talent
Although ... A liar and a cheat.
Both proven .

His talent has never been in question, and he'd be an asset to any team.
But the 'bestest ever' rot is just that.

As for the other stuff, irrelevant when he's playing.

Eels Dude

Coach
To me the best ever means if you had a time machine and plucked all the top players out of their times in their primes and put them all on the same football field tomorrow, the best player would be the best. That player is inglis for me. Norm provan or clive churchill or whoever else would get fended into the stratosphere if they tried to tackle GI and they'd get suplexed over the sideline with the ball taken off them in the same motion if they tried to run at him. Therefore they're no where near as good.

I understand there is a separate convetion to be had where you factor in the quality of the era and how that player stood in relation to his era and what they achieved in their time and etc etc, I just wasn't talking about that. I was talking about the best in an absolute sense. That player is inglis, and the top 100 are all from the last 20 years, max. About 90 of them the last 5 years.

It depends on the era. I wonder how Inglis would have gone playing the game under the rules 50 years ago, working full time and training once a week, without the use of advanced training programs, fitness supplements, personal doctors and trainers. I think Inglis would be a much lesser player under the 5 metre rule, and even lesser in the unlimited tackle era with just the 4 interchanges.

Fire

First Grade
Hey Tone, I cheer for the NRL All-Stars for the simple fact that I hate black people. Is that racist?

Flapper

First Grade
It depends on the era. I wonder how Inglis would have gone playing the game under the rules 50 years ago, working full time and training once a week, without the use of advanced training programs, fitness supplements, personal doctors and trainers. I think Inglis would be a much lesser player under the 5 metre rule, and even lesser in the unlimited tackle era with just the 4 interchanges.

Well there was no McDonalds in Australia 50 years ago so it would all balance out for him.

Fibroman

First Grade
I cheer against the indigeneous all stars because I fear that if I cheered for them, some do gooder out there would assume that I am being sarcastic and accuse me of being racist.

gronkathon

First Grade
I cheer for players from my team represented not to get injured.

Other then that i couldn't give a single f**k about the All Stars game