What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it racist to cheer against the Indigenous team?

betcats

Referee
Why do they need an "allegiance" to a team? Can't they have a bet and cheer their money? Can't they cheer for the best team in the hope for a good show? It is a muck around game and the All Stars have the better team. If they play well they win, who wouldn't want to see the best players in the world play their best?

Yeah ok Hitler.

Tone83

Juniors
He just said the all stars have the better team, are you saying the indigenous players are inferior?

Joker's Wild

Coach
I for one would definitely be of the opinion you were a racist if you were cheering against the indigenous team. I'd have little doubt in my mind. Frankly I'd think you were a racist for not-cheering for the indigenous team. That's what it's all about, it's a heartwarming celebration of indigenous australians in league.

Also just incidentally most of the best players are indigenous. Inglis, thurston, bowen, barba... if you love footy you'd cheer for these guys anyway, you'd have to have a shady motive to not cheer for them, racism being most likely.

Are there any threads about the 2013 game? Predicting sides etc?

Tone83 said:
Tell that to my black wife and half black kid. Or are you saying racist against white people? Lol, not possible, or at least not important and doesn't count. Boo hoo the world is perfectly sculpted to accomodate you comfortably... doesn't work. It's why we so easily shrug off racial attacks, we know we're winning. It means nothing to us. As a rule white people don't understand racism at all and can't be victims of it. Now this often sounds "racist" to white people, but that's just further proof of them not understanding the gravity of real racism. Comparing your mild annoyance over that statement to racial victimisation is laughable.

[youtube]5hfYJsQAhl0[/youtube]

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
Glad you bumped this thread Tones, it has the potential be a lot of fun.

Hey, who do you think old mate Skull goes for in the All-Stars game???

59322609_TheSkull.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Noone, he is too busy watching V8's or plotting how to finally get rid of that pesky French RL!

I appreciate the game as a celebration of part of our game that should get more focus but there are plenty of reasons someone would go for the allstars:
1. Players from your team in the all stars
2. Player/s you dislike in the indigenous team because they are merkins
3. You have more connection with the Allstars because they represent your race (Kiwi/Pi/Maori, white etc)
4. You prefer the jersey

ShaneO85

Juniors
I'm not too fussed either way... i think pigeon-holing someone as a racist for supporting either team is a bit over the top... i don't mind who wins but will generally cheer for the team with more broncos or queenslanders... while the indigenous aspect is part of the celebration i think it is a great weekend to celebrate the greatest game and bring people together no matter the creed, colour, persuaion, etc...

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
No, to me it's like supporting any other team or sport. You decide to cheer for who you want and it shouldn't be based on picking on culture.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I'd still find it weird if someone was cheering on the all stars, like what's your allegiance? Your dad was an all star? Cheering for cool tries from all stars or whatever, sure, but actually barracking for the team is odd and suspect. At best shows the person to be oblivious to common decency and class. Like if I saw a mentally handicapped person with an all stars jersey all "go all stars!" I'd just think "how adorable, he doesn't understand what he's doing". But if you're just a bogan and you're all "what? I like the all stars, is that a crime? Those aborigines like the indigenous team, what's the difference?" *sly grin* I just know for sure you're a racist prick, you're not fooling anyone.

You crap on about racism while the bolded comment of yours reeks of discrimination. Total hypocrite!!

Now I see why your location is "Dictating turds" since all you speak is shit.

eozsmiles

Bench
He just said the all stars have the better team, are you saying the indigenous players are inferior?

There are two teams playing football and one team is better than the other. The question of ancestry and history are irrelevant on the scoreboard. And I don't believe ancestry or heritage leads to someone being a more entertaining footy player. And since this is an exhibition game, entertainment is all that matters to me.

Your tone is straight out of the Alan Jones handbook for agenda setting and asking loaded questions. Are you trolling for some AM radio material next week? Is this homework? Are you an apprentice at 2UE or the other mob or something?

You sound like Ray Hadley but more of a bigot. Good luck with judging the geniused kids.

Didgi

to avoid any charge of racism, I'll be supporting the refs in this game. It's time to get behind them!

If Ceccin is reffing I'll have you on discrimination. Fancy wanting to get behind him, reeks of homophobia :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Rebel

First Grade

The 17 players for the All stars have historically (well... in the 3 years the game has been going on) been comprised of more talented players than the indigenous side. It makes sense too. The best player (arguably) from each team is playing against a team made up from a certain ethnic background, regardless of ability.

So yes. The All stars are better than the indigenous. So what? That's not being racist.

Tone83

Juniors
Your logic would be sound if the best player ever (inglis) and the best half in the game (thurston) and last years dally m, and a disproportionately high percentage of the top 20 players in league, and a disproportionately high percentage of the best team ever (current maroons) weren't all indigenous.