What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Latrell Mitchell overrated?

As thread title

• Yes

Votes: 70 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 17.6%

• Total voters

Chimp

Bench
I put this on the Sharks forum in the aftermath of the game;
Latrell almost looked like he was trying to get a charge that would result in a ban - either fancies a trip back to the farm, or so he can cop a ban and then complain that he’s being targeted/discriminated against, or maybe both….

He might have mental health issues, but that doesn’t excuse his behaviour. I think his issue is his ego - he thinks he’s bigger and better than everyone, and when things aren’t going exactly as he wants, he has a dummy spit. He’s a very selfish player - mental health issue or not, and that doesn’t cut it at the very top level. I’d argue that being an elite athlete requires supreme levels of mental strength and emotional resilience- there’s nothing wrong with someone having mental health issues, but it is a weakness, certainly when it comes to elite sport.
I feel this is an issue with the world nowadays, people are so focussed on supporting those with mental health issues (and rightly so), that we sometimes forget, being emotionally resilient and not being susceptible to mental health issues is a real positive and should be celebrated too - and elite athletes, to be their absolute best, wouldn’t have mental health issues.

flippikat

Bench

He might have mental health issues, but that doesn’t excuse his behaviour. I think his issue is his ego - he thinks he’s bigger and better than everyone, and when things aren’t going exactly as he wants, he has a dummy spit. He’s a very selfish player - mental health issue or not, and that doesn’t cut it at the very top level. I’d argue that being an elite athlete requires supreme levels of mental strength and emotional resilience- there’s nothing wrong with someone having mental health issues, but it is a weakness, certainly when it comes to elite sport.
I feel this is an issue with the world nowadays, people are so focussed on supporting those with mental health issues (and rightly so), that we sometimes forget, being emotionally resilient and not being susceptible to mental health issues is a real positive and should be celebrated too - and elite athletes, to be their absolute best, wouldn’t have mental health issues.
Yeah, he has to take a cold, rational look into himself & honestly ask "Am I actually cut-out to be a professional athlete?"

Skill is one thing, but mental resilience is another - and how often do we see players of genuine skill fall to pieces because they don't have the mental toolkit to deal with the demands of this career?

I dont fully agree with that; I dont think being a (successful) elite athlete precludes someone from having mental health challenges.

But I do agree re: mental resilience. I think the key differentiator is their awareness in recognising a mental challenge (whether its a geniune mental illness or otherwise), their willingness to get help, and then their ability to use the tools they're taught. All of that shows and continues to build resilience.

I have no idea if Latrell has genuine mental health challenges, but it's pretty evident he's lacking in the resilience part. The brain fades over the weekend show that quite clearly.

Chimp

Bench
I have no idea if Latrell has genuine mental health challenges, but it's pretty evident he's lacking in the resilience part. The brain fades over the weekend show that quite clearly.
I guess that is the crux of my point - whether it be an actual clinical mental illness, or just a lack of mental resilience, Latrell ain’t the player he could be because of it.
All that being said, I do actually think he’s just a cock, and like many cocks nowadays, people will excuse or explain their cock-ish behaviour as a symptom of a mental illness, when in fact, they’re just selfish cocks.
Latrell strikes me as a compete cock!

Maximus

Coach
So we are at the point of claiming real sports stars shouldn't get mental health problems to justify the hatred of him.

And if he has mental health problems, well he should just quit because anyone with mental health problems isn't cut out for professional sport.

So we are at the point of claiming real sports stars shouldn't get mental health problems to justify the hatred of him.

And if he has mental health problems, well he should just quit because anyone with mental health problems isn't cut out for professional sport.
We need to be careful conflating mental health with mental resilience.

Like I say, I have no idea if he has genuine mental health issues. But you dont have to like a person, or hate them, to recognise a lack of mental resilience, and he absolutely does.

It can be learned, but he (or someone around him) needs to recognise and accept the need first.

Chimp

Bench

Nobody has said sports stars can’t have genuine mental health issues, or that anyone should quit.
But a sports star with mental health issues is unlikely to reach their absolute potential, if their frame of mind is impacting their decision making and therefore performance. It’s a simple fact - just like any other illness, be it diabetes, Crohn’s disease etc, if not managed appropriately, onfield performance will be negatively impacted.

soc123_au

Staff member

Yeah, pretty much, or seek the help needed to cope and do the job he is being played mega bucks to do.

If he lost a leg in the off season would we make concessions so he could keep playing? Of course not, I dont see how mental health is any different tbh. There is a reason that only top point whatever of a percent make it, and that reason isn't always talent.

Whatever is going on with Latrell, mental health, just a merkin or whatever isn't that relevant, the people that know him and love him really need to sit him down for an honest conversation.

Chimp

Bench
Whatever is going on with Latrell, mental health, just a merkin or whatever isn't that relevant, the people that know him and love him really need to sit him down for an honest conversation.
BINGO!

Listening to various interviews with Souths players and coaches (including JD and Murray), it doesn’t appear anyone at Souths is willing to have that tough conversation with him - and that’s more than half their problem and Latrells, there’s no honesty between them, appears they’re all on eggshells around Latrell.

soc123_au

Staff member
BINGO!

Listening to various interviews with Souths players and coaches (including JD and Murray), it doesn’t appear anyone at Souths is willing to have that tough conversation with him - and that’s more than half their problem and Latrells, there’s no honesty between them, appears they’re all on eggshells around Latrell.
Souffs dont have the balls. To be fair many other clubs wouldn't either. Imo it needs to come from someone he genuinely loves and respects. Parent, close relo, Elder or whatever.

jack coburn

Juniors
For my bit i blame the people at Souths and around him.
I think he needs to go to a club where he isn't put up on a pedestal and lauded as the be all and end all.
I think at East's he wasn't the superstar . Was probably a better player there but even if they had some stars they were all treated the same. Could probably argue he got looked after by Robbo giving him extended breaks away at times.
Would better somewhere he wasn't expected to carry the team and if he didn't get carved up for it.
But the one thing i think most agree on is that he bring's most the shit on himself. You can't be a grub then expect people to defend you when you get shit for being a grub.

Diesel

Referee
I’m no expert but I believe the media has played a large part in Latrell’s rise and then any negative downfall. It’s like they’ve gaslighted him and watching the train wreck unfold to fill in a few episodes of 360.
Media aren’t the only cause, but they’re a contributing factor

yobbo84

First Grade
Honest take here.

I think people get way too emotionally involved with players like Latrell - on both sides of the argument. The media love it because it gives them clicks. But I digress.

Off the field I think he's a genuinely nice bloke, who respects his elders, gives a lot of time to the fans, freely involves himself in community work without fanfare (unless PVL involves himself) and isn't afraid to call out racist BS when he sees it. I've met him a few times through club functions, and he gives more time to fans than almost any other player at the club.

On the field, it's always been risk-reward with Latrell. Lots of players walk a fine line with aggression and discipline. He's crossed that line too many times now.

Wayne kept him on the right side of that line. He was fine those first couple of seasons at Souths. Even the Manu tackle was just a tackle gone wrong (and he rightly paid for it). Even though the outcome was worse, it was far less stupid than forearming Johnson in the head for no reason.

Now, the risk is far outweighing the reward, and I think the problem lies at the root of the majority of problems at Souths right now - fitness and conditioning.

He wants to play fast and aggressive, but he physically can't keep up, and when he's tired, he's making poor lazy decisions and lashing out. It is mental but I honestly think it's more physical. And it seems there's no-one at the club pushing him to be fitter.

The whole club is unfit - except for the uber-professionals like Murray, Cook, Wighton, Burgess, Ilias, etc (talking fitness here) who would be super fit even if they didn't play footy. I've called it out all year and will continue to do so. It's the reason we're doing OK halfway through matches before dying the arse. It's all lovey-lovey at Souths - happiness first, footy second.

He needs a stronger coach who will get him - and the team - fit and not accept excuses.

He has a month off now to decide what he wants to do.

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
I’m no expert but I believe the media has played a large part in Latrell’s rise and then any negative downfall. It’s like they’ve gaslighted him and watching the train wreck unfold to fill in a few episodes of 360.
Media aren’t the only cause, but they’re a contributing factor

He seems to enjoy drawing attention to himself though. Can’t blame the media for that. Calling for long suspensions for other players on social media and dropping a bunch of f bombs in an interview are recent examples of him doing stuff which he would know are going to create headlines.

King hit

Coach
He seems to enjoy drawing attention to himself though. Can’t blame the media for that. Calling for long suspensions for other players on social media and dropping a bunch of f bombs in an interview are recent examples of him doing stuff which he would know are going to create headlines.
Whenever I see anybody taking the moral high ground I start to instantly wonder what they get up to behind closed doors. Everyone who I've met who claimed morality turned out to be a complete POS. My sleazy loser uncle (not blood married in) used to carry on about Greg Bird going on about what a foul person he is and how immoral the Titans were for signing him and how he is a man of morality. He ended up cheating on my mums sister breaking the heart of her and his kids while making creepy comments and sexually harassing women and girls. Literally everyone bullies him now calling him out. If NSW win the State of Origin this year i'm going to go hard on him.

blue bags

First Grade
I dont fully agree with that; I dont think being a (successful) elite athlete precludes someone from having mental health challenges.

But I do agree re: mental resilience. I think the key differentiator is their awareness in recognising a mental challenge (whether its a geniune mental illness or otherwise), their willingness to get help, and then their ability to use the tools they're taught. All of that shows and continues to build resilience.

I've said this before
ADD . attention deficiencies disorder
Can't stay focused. Absess mindedness

mxlegend99

Referee

Wayne kept him on the right side of that line. He was fine those first couple of seasons at Souths. Even the Manu tackle was just a tackle gone wrong (and he rightly paid for it). Even though the outcome was worse, it was far less stupid than forearming Johnson in the head for no reason.
That was a tackle gone wrong. But he showed no remorse for the tackle or concern for the damage he caused. instean he acted like he was the victim for being binned and was being a complete dickhead when he returned.

Scoring the try and throwing the ball at a defender standing over him as if he had overcome adversity. That was the moment i stopped liking him. Just a complete f**kwit after what he had done.

Latest posts