What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is St George Illawarra Still A Joint Venture Club

possm

Coach
So a large number of Hungarian's moved to Dover Heights and sold their properties to people of Asian decent.

I suppose the St George Leagues Club should send their scouts to all the local high schools and actively try to recruit some big boys of Asian decent. Offer them a junior development program and try to progress them through the junior ranks.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if our junior ranks have players of Asian decent, the local population will turn out and support them.

avocado

Juniors
So a large number of Hungarian's moved to Dover Heights and sold their properties to people of Asian decent.

I suppose the St George Leagues Club should send their scouts to all the local high schools and actively try to recruit some big boys of Asian decent. Offer them a junior development program and try to progress them through the junior ranks.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if our junior ranks have players of Asian decent, the local population will turn out and support them.
Long term plan but has merit.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

A foolish approach fraught with danger when you start classifying people by race..

But putting aside this feeble-mindedness, your approach is still just showing that the St George side of things is holding back the Dragons club..

We should take an approach of accepting all people to be fans, regardless of ethnicity. The same goes for players. If you’re a good junior, you’re welcome at the club - regardless of what your family background is..

This is only something we can achieve by freeing ourselves and embracing the Illawarra.

possm

Coach
A foolish approach fraught with danger when you start classifying people by race..

But putting aside this feeble-mindedness, your approach is still just showing that the St George side of things is holding back the Dragons club..

We should take an approach of accepting all people to be fans, regardless of ethnicity. The same goes for players. If you’re a good junior, you’re welcome at the club - regardless of what your family background is..

This is only something we can achieve by freeing ourselves and embracing the Illawarra.

Not racist, just not politically correct. Unfortunately in Asia rugby league is no where near as popular as soccer, so if we want the local population to part of SGI as players, fans, supporters and sponsors, we need to tailor our recruitment to include Asian high school students and give them the best opportunity to participate.

It is assertive action and does not discriminate any of our local community.

I live in the St George area.

The “Asians” I have met describe themselves as bananas.

Yellow on the outside and white on the inside.

Our real problem as a club is zero effort has been made to garner local support.

I would be interested to see how much marketing is occurring in the Illawarra region.

Not racist, just not politically correct. Unfortunately in Asia rugby league is no where near as popular as soccer, so if we want the local population to part of SGI as players, fans, supporters and sponsors, we need to tailor our recruitment to include Asian high school students and give them the best opportunity to participate.

It is assertive action and does not discriminate any of our local community.

Possum, local population of Hurstville is made up of approx 30% of people of Asian decent.

I would be surprised if the Asian population is greater than 15% overall in the entire St.George area.

The so called decline in our area is due to the cost of real estate and the fact that the average age of local residents is approximately 55 years of age.

At a guess I anticipate that the Illawarra being a less expensive real estate region has a much younger population.

Yet home ground crowd numbers are similar.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Our real problem as a club is zero effort has been made to garner local support.

I would be interested to see how much marketing is occurring in the Illawarra region.
Plenty of marketing effort in the Illawarra region.. Haven't you heard of the TV campaign WIN are running?

The Wollongong side of the JV is certainly pulling their weight in the marketing stakes...

Plenty of marketing effort in the Illawarra region.. Haven't you heard of the TV campaign WIN are running?

The Wollongong side of the JV is certainly pulling their weight in the marketing stakes...

Gee as far as I am aware the Illawarra side of the JV no longer exists.

Good to see WIN is advertising on its own network.

Let’s hope they bring a higher level of professionalism to the admin of the JV, and manage to increase the crowd attendance of the club at both Wollongong and Kogarah.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Gee as far as I am aware the Illawarra side of the JV no longer exists.
The shares in the JV that were owned by the Steelers were sold to WIN who now own the Illawarra side of the JV. It was all over the news. How did you miss this?

Good to see WIN is advertising on its own network.

It is indeed.. It's awesome to see what a true corporate backer can do for the club.. We are lucky to have them..

Hopefully St George can find someone similar before it's too late..

Let’s hope they bring a higher level of professionalism to the admin of the JV, and manage to increase the crowd attendance of the club at both Wollongong and Kogarah.
Indeed. The previous management has been terrible from both sides... It's great to have professionalism on at least one side now..

The shares in the JV that were owned by the Steelers were sold to WIN who now own the Illawarra side of the JV. It was all over the news. How did you miss this?

The only part of your comment that is correct, is that Illawarra has sold its shares to WIN. As a consequence, Illawarra is no longer a JV partner.

It is indeed.. It's awesome to see what a true corporate backer can do for the club.. We are lucky to have them..

Hopefully St George can find someone similar before it's too late.

St.George doesn't need a private financier. It has the financial capability to acquire WIN's interest in the JV.

Indeed. The previous management has been terrible from both sides... It's great to have professionalism on at least one side now..

Given Gordon's son has been on the board for 10 years, you can hardly argue that he will increase the professionalism of the new board.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Given Gordon's son has been on the board for 10 years, you can hardly argue that he will increase the professionalism of the new board.
Of course he can. He wasn’t in charge before.. He’s now chairman..

He can right the wrongs of the St George-led past and take us into the future..

I’m excited for what an Illawarra led board can do for our future! Hopefully you are too..

Old Timer

Coach
Of course he can. He wasn’t in charge before.. He’s now chairman..

He can right the wrongs of the St George-led past and take us into the future..

I’m excited for what an Illawarra led board can do for our future! Hopefully you are too..
Were you this excited when you had an Illawarra board leading an Illawarra Club?
For all the hoopla about the Illawarra it has not benn successful in its own right
St George had something and stupidly let it go whilst the Illawarra had something, created nothing and is clinging onto the history it inherited from the stupid bastards at the Taj.
It is good to see some advertising etc but in all honesty it is as amateurish as its selection of BOD and coaches.
TBH f**k the ads go and get some TPA’s, sign some real stars, win some premierships, build a club that trades successfully and believe me the people will want to be part of it.
If the best we can do is mirror earlier attempts at the gong then we are dead.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Were you this excited when you had an Illawarra board leading an Illawarra Club?
For all the hoopla about the Illawarra it has not benn successful in its own right
St George had something and stupidly let it go whilst the Illawarra had something, created nothing and is clinging onto the history it inherited from the stupid bastards at the Taj.
It is good to see some advertising etc but in all honesty it is as amateurish as its selection of BOD and coaches.
TBH f**k the ads go and get some TPA’s, sign some real stars, win some premierships, build a club that trades successfully and believe me the people will want to be part of it.
If the best we can do is mirror earlier attempts at the gong then we are dead.
Bugger me.. with that’s a Canterbury attitude if ever I saw one..

Old Timer

Coach
Bugger me.. with that’s a Canterbury attitude if ever I saw one..
Why do you insist on sticking with that theory?
By all means enlighten us to the raging success St George inherited with the JV and what they’ve contributed in 17?years or more?
Ni doubt St George had issues but it ended up with an albatross around its neck.
If Illawarra were the real deal they should have been stand alone.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Why do you insist on sticking with that theory?
By all means enlighten us to the raging success St George inherited with the JV and what they’ve contributed in 17?years or more?
Ni doubt St George had issues but it ended up with an albatross around its neck.
If Illawarra were the real deal they should have been stand alone.
From 1921 - 1981, Illawarra was part of the dragons catchment area.

From 1982 - 1998 St George chose to go it alone, before being rightfully reunited with Illawarra in 1999..

Premierships:

- St George with Illawarra: 16
- St George without Illawarra: 0

From 1921 - 1981, Illawarra was part of the dragons catchment area.

From 1982 - 1998 St George chose to go it alone, before being rightfully reunited with Illawarra in 1999..

Premierships:

- St George with Illawarra: 16
- St George without Illawarra: 0

Muzby, good to see we both agree Illawarra was and remains a
Junior catchment area for the red V.

st penguin

Juniors
To paraphrase Seinfeld.. we all just cheer for laundry. If it has a red v it’s my team.

(Although this causes me confusion when swans wear their retro jersey.)

Latest posts