What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau signs $2 million deal

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Brycey said:
Really Pete, I was not aware that my club recruited QLDers. <end sarcasm>

What I am saying is, Roosters cop a lot of flack for our recruitment policies yet here we have a club with a huge catchment area who not only signs established players but also has a proven track record of having difficulty signing players within their own city.

Compare that with the Roosters who have to share not only a city amongst 9 over clubs, but also our inner city territory, I think we can see who the lesser of the 2 evils are.

I seriously doubt the Roosters would come off as the lesser of two evils in any comparison.

Razor

Coach
Nightward said:
Because the Brisbane area doesn't field a Queensland Cup team, genius.

You want to progress to NRL level in Queensland, you play Queensland Cup first. Even the closest Queensland Cup side to Brisbane is Wynnum/Manly.

Wynum-Manly is a suburb of Brisbane, unlike many other clubs in SE-QLD that play in the QLD Cup.

lotti

Bench
melbourne_belle said:
^^^ Wayne Bennett? :lol:
Craig has surpassed Bennett in many ways and Craig didn't even begin his coaching career at the Broncos, he started it at Canberra he coached there from 1993-1997 and then he went to the Broncos. Hopefully Cam will remember what the Broncos did to him when he was at Logan Brothers, they rejected him.

lotti

Bench
DeeGan said:
Agreed.

The Bellamy signing has been on the cards for a while now IMO.
only because of the rumours and in the past when those rumours are re-hatched Craig's responded by saying he's committed to the Storm, it happens every year the only difference this year is Bennett's actually leaving the Broncos.

hellteam

First Grade
craig bellamys family is in brisbane too, you gotta rememebr that melbourne is a long way away from brisbane for these guys

lotti

Bench
I know how far away Melbourne is from Brisbane I've traveled to and from the two cities a few times it's about a 2 hour plane trip and depending on the person a 3-5 day drive.

melbourne_belle

Juniors
lotti Bennett would still put Craig over his lap and spank his arse man
Im just whinding you up lotti which isn't hard :lol:
Look I agree would much prefer Craig stay, but if he doesn't we can't sit around and whinge about it, you have to get on with the job and keep the club moving there is no point crying about things you can't change, so just suck it up and move on.

That goes to all the Storm fans who are bitch'n and complaining about Issy, suck it up and move on, as Waldron always says the club is bigger than any player or coach so stop chucking tantroms and being two year olds and just support our club.

Issy is still here until the end of the season, so how about supporting him while he is still playing for us and hope he comes out and has a cracker of a season from now on and then gets injured when we win the grand final and he can go to Brisbane for his rehab hehe

Bellamy is a big boy, his wife and youngest son lives here in Melb, its his older adult children that are still in Brisbane. If he goes he goes, but the speculation kills me lol

miccle

Bench
I think we all need to also remember that Melbourne are a damn powerful club, IMO the best in the business even if you take Izzy out of the equation.

The set-up and structure that the club has established still sees the line-up dotted with stars, like Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Smith, Hoffman and Johnson, with some great up and comers like Sam Tagataese rising through the ranks. Anyone who thinks this will hurt them beyond belief or who go further and say the Storm shouldn't be in the comp - pull your head in!

Finally, on the issue of salary, I have a VERY, very close source to the management and they have indeed stated that $2 mil is way off the mark and even $1.6 mil is higher than this deal.

Yes, it seems that it's much closer to $1.4 mil over the four years, structured as $300k for 2009 and 2010, and likely $400k in the following two seasons (from 2011-2012). Everyone must also remember that next year or the year after is Locky's retirement, and Folau going onto that sort of coin next next year would pretty much be a direct swap from Tunza, who is earning around that $300k mark now.

1. Hunt
3. Folau
4. Hodges
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
9. Marsh

Mmmmmmmm.

Shorty

Staff member
If Bellamy does move to Brisbane - In a few years time Brisbane could be the host of the NSW halfback and coach LOL who woulda' thunk it!

Brycey

Juniors
They don't, you just think with a catchment like the Broncos have they would be able to field juniors rather than buy players.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Why would they? Like any club they send out talent scouts and field the best team they can under the cap.

What do you want Locky to do, play for no one until their is an NRL franchise in Roma? A lot of the best players come from regional areas, it is nothing new.

This is a pointless debate. It is 2008, not 1908. A catchment area means next to nothing in the modern game. So long as clubs develop young talent and not just buy established players all the time.

This the Broncos do and do well.

Brycey

Juniors
Hey I am not about to say its a bad thing, this isnt as much directed at the Broncos as it is to all the Sydney folks who go and criticise the Roosters, its merely an example of a team that has little scrutiny regarding their recruitment policies yet if compared to the Roosters proboably hold worse when it comes to going outside their domains.

Teela

Juniors
Brycey said:
Go the Brisbane Broncos :sarcasm:

Hunt's a junior of Souths Acacia Ridge, A suburb of Brisbane.

And what NRL team is Folau meant to play for? He's from north Logan which is closer to Brisbane than any other club. :roll:

Brycey

Juniors
North Logan??? You call Waterford north Logan? Its down the road from Gold Coast turf.

Hunt has lived more of his life in NZ than he has Aus

Nightward

Juniors
1. Hunt
3. Folau
4. Hodges
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
9. Marsh

Mmmmmmmm

I dunno, man. Mick Ennis is a gun player and during '06 was doing some incredible work. He got cruelled out with a knee injury late, and in '07 he had to play halfback. Then he got injured again. For me, the best part of last Friday night was seeing the poor sod get a try; after his run of luck, he deserves some rewards. Although I realise this is probably blasphemy, I don't want Smith up here. Ennis is a very smart player, and he really knows his stuff. If he can stay injury-free, he'll rival, if not exceed, the best in the business at Hooker.

I think they bought PJ Marsh to fill Berrigan's boots as a floating replacement and/or insurance against injuries to Ennis.

1. Hunt - NZ
3. Folau - Logan
4. Hodges - Cairns
6. Lockyer - Roma
7. Wallace - NSW
9. Marsh - Gladstone

Go the Brisbane Broncos

Hunt- Broncos Junior.
Hodges- Broncos Junior.
Lockyer- Broncos Junior.

Queensland Cup is structured differently to that of New South Wales, and the Broncos' relationship with the teams is different.

Hindmarsh is, I believe, from WeeWaa, which is hard to accept as part of Sydney. I don't think people would whinge too much if he was described as having come through Paramatta's development system, but feel free to bitch on.

They don't, you just think with a catchment like the Broncos have they would be able to field juniors rather than buy players.

As opposed to what, the Roosters?

Yes, flawless argument. It's not as though they buy rather than develop players.

Oh, wait.

Brycey

Juniors
melbourne_belle said:
Brycey Are you saying that Brisbane's recruitment is worse than your guys poaching?
See here we go again, poaching???

How is Mick Crocker working out for you. Or how was David Kidwell, 2 former Roosters...developed by Roosters.

The Roosters unfortunately do not have a huge catchment area, however we do our fair share in developing kids outside our own turf, yet we are well known for buying every other player yet here you have an example of a club that has such a huge catchment area it shouldnt have to poach players yet feels the need to.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Well I can honestly say that any critisism of the Roosters, or for that matter any club for going outside their 'catchment area' is ridiculous.

Take the Locky example again, if all clubs had an ethos that their catchment areas were the major priority, how would he ever get a game?

Many players come from regional areas and need to be picked up by city based clubs.

The major critisisms I have seen of the Roosters is that they buy players scouted and developed by other clubs when they become successful, eg, bob from the dragons finds a kid from woop woop, brings him down, trains him up, he starts to make it as a fger, then the roosters buy him. I dont think it is to do with where they are from, anything else as I said is ridiculous, because if it was adhered to, heaps of players would miss out altogether.

At any rate I think buying established players en masse is a poor policy anyway, and usually means you pay more for less.

An example for the Broncos is Corey Parker, who the broncos will keep cheap because they developed him and its is home, for the roosters Shillington is another classic example. Thery are getting a lot more out of him atm then O'meley, who they had to pay a fortune for, and does bugger all.