What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's all about the sh*t music!

Knightmare

Coach
sutho goldfish said:
I agree with what you saying, but i also noticed that you have a chillis avatar, what do you think about there newer stuff as i think they pretty much suck since blood sugar sex magic, but thats just my humble opinon.

Coz thats one thing that does p*ss me off, good bands who were selling records with good music, but then they feel the need to change there style to a more 'pop friendly' type of sounds in the hope of selling a few more records.

Yeah, that concerns me too. Blink 182 started to go that way with their 1999 album 'Enema of the state' which included the MTV-esque hit 'All the small things'. Their lowest point came in 2001 with 'Take off your pants and jacket'. While musically the album was quite decent, lyrically it seemed to be based on the assumption that everyone listening to their album was 16 and in an on/off relationship with their girlfriend. However, at least they bounced back with their 2003 album, and since they broke up they have gone on to more different stuff than songs about incest or going on a first date.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
hineyrulz said:
Pop was we're they started to slide, but it had a few good songs on it. Since then for a band that had produced so many great songs it's been horrible.

If Pop had been done in a more 'traditional' U2 style (although this doesn't actually exist - almost every album or two have been a massive change of direction musically) i think it would be lauded by everyone as one of their best albums, rather than just by die hard fans.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is in my opinion a brillaint album, its a little poppy but they haven't done a pop album before. For the most part its hard to fault the album (although Grace and Peace On Earth sh*t me no end - you should try my alternate tracklisting).

How To Dismantle an Atomic blah blah blah certainly isn't their best album. It had 4-5 songs of any real staying power (Vertigo (throwaway rock song that f**ken goes wild live), Sometimes You Can't Blah blah blah, City Of Blinding Lights, Love and Peace and Crumbs) but overall isn't bad enough for them to chuck it in.

The last two singles - The Saints Are Coming and Window In The Skies leave me fairly confident about which way they're going. I'm aware Saints is a cover, but i'm loving its sound - even sans Green Day live. Hopefully they don't tell Rick Rubin to piss off while they do the next album, it should be fairly alright. Couldn't hurt to team up with Eno again soon.

Of course, this whole post is wasted on people who don't have a clue about U2 and a simply sheep who think they've jumped the shark.

Eelementary

Post Whore
To be fair though, solo singers and hip-hop/rap lyricists are "artists" and not "musicians", because they deal solely with lyrics.

FunkyMonk said:
Music is not the same as it used to be. We have Rap beating Rock at the Grammys. Stupid f**king Crazy Frog hitting the top of the charts, and Paris Hilton making music (wtf!). This is a petition thread to identify and allienate the sh*ttest music that is produced by parasites who like to invade the charts with their talentless NOISE.

here's my list:

All these lovesick, GAY rappers are at the top of the list
Akon
Usher(bullet)
Nelly(bullet)
the game
justin timberlake (bullet)
Pharrell (ferral)
Jay-Z

along with these "hardcore" ganstas
50 cent
X-zibit
Snoop Dogg
Fat Joe
D12

+

Beyounce
Hillary Duff
Jo Jo
Simple Plan
Will Smith (stick to acting bud)
lindsay lohan
Hinder
Gay Sebastian & Shennan Noll
Pink
NICKLEBACK
Black Eyed Peas

Also, pretty much all the Emo bands (there are way too many too name, all sh*t and untalentless.)

And this goes for most of these "hardcore" heavy metal bands, such as Aytreu.

And what the hell is with sh*tty bands coming up with ridiculous names such as
Fundamentalistic Motherf**kers, and nickleback.

anyone got any comments or anything to add?

i have no problems with hinder,nickelback or Pink esp Hinder lol there first single get stoned is damn weird though but i suppose for some odd reason we never actualkly picked that song up :roll:

and wtf u on about u never hear much of X-Zibit on the charts infact u never hear of him peroid hes never been huge in aus

the rest of your list is pretty spot on but ill like too add some :p

panic at the disco (these guys actually think there music isnt emo but alt rock :lol:)
the killers (suck so bad)
the darkness (iron maiden rip off and really they dont come close too the great band of all time)
good charlotte (first too albums i could stand now they just plain suck)

opeth and Iron Maiden need too get into the top 20 :p

Knightmare said:
Yeah, that concerns me too. Blink 182 started to go that way with their 1999 album 'Enema of the state' which included the MTV-esque hit 'All the small things'. Their lowest point came in 2001 with 'Take off your pants and jacket'. While musically the album was quite decent, lyrically it seemed to be based on the assumption that everyone listening to their album was 16 and in an on/off relationship with their girlfriend. However, at least they bounced back with their 2003 album, and since they broke up they have gone on to more different stuff than songs about incest or going on a first date.

why did Scott leave the band for i thought they were never the same when he left

there style of music just changed so much

FunkyMonk

Juniors
sutho goldfish said:
I agree with what you saying, but i also noticed that you have a chillis avatar, what do you think about there newer stuff as i think they pretty much suck since blood sugar sex magic, but thats just my humble opinon.

Coz thats one thing that does p*ss me off, good bands who were selling records with good music, but then they feel the need to change there style to a more 'pop friendly' type of sounds in the hope of selling a few more records.

Yes, i can understand why their newer stuff has stunned a lot of people. But you got to remember that they progressed from being young alco/drug addicted punks to mature absolutley sober respectable people. I have read Anthony Kiedis's Scar Tissue, and I can assure you their latest stuff has DEFINATLEY NOT been changed just to make more money. To understand the change you have to look at the history of theband.

John Frusciante is the most responsible for the bands change in style, after he quit the band he got way too selectively perceptive, with a little help from coke and heroin. for about six years he hid in his mansion shooting speedballs, painting and talking to spirits everyday (if you think i'm over exagerrating have a look at this short vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFS8HNdRbv0.) What has really influenced their during and after Californication is Electronic Music. John who wrote 60% of Californication and most of By the way started listening to a lot of electronic music after he quit drugs. And he found ways to put the best of electronica type of music into their songs. If you do a bit of research on him you'll find him to be a bit of a stranger because he still claims to be connected with the 4th Dimension and spirits. Nevertheless he is still a top bloke.

Flea is the 2nd most ipmortant member of the band these days. Back in the early days he pretty much made the band. He was writing most of the music and their songs were based around his crazy basslines. Now Flea and John play and write incredible music together that, like Jimi Hendrix's stuff and John Frusicante's solo stuff, is not meant to be analyzed but only experienced. I highly recommend John Frusciante's solo music. As for Anthony Kiedis, well he is probably the best frontman in the music world today. And the drummer suits their type of music perfectley.

You can't expect a band to produce the same type of stuff for over 20 years. Look at bands like Nickleback. They've been producing the exact same stuff ever since they started and now they are the laughing stock of the music world. Peppers approach to music today has got the exact same great vibe that it did when they recorded blood sugar, just from a different perspective. I was a bit surprised with Stadium Arcadium myself, but if you sit down and have a good listen to it focusing on the music and nothing else, i recon you'll be surprised as well. There are a lot of hidden melodies in that album that can only be heard by people who know what music is all about.

FunkyMonk

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Will Smith is da shizz.

Seriously though - he's a talented lyricist.

I think you all hate modern rap because of the white boy gangsta wannabee driving around in his Commodore with the windows wound down and 50 Cent blasting on the stereo...

By the way, his new album arrives soon.

:p

we don't all hate modern rap, obviosly, judging by the useless grammys. But in my opinion rap music has killed music all together. Like an HIV virus. At first popular music had standards, but when rap was introduced and people realized that anyone could get into the charts as long as they could open their mouth and drop a beat (no matter how sh*t it was. some rap beats are horrible, snoop dogg's drop it like it's hot for example is like saying a big f**k YOU to the musical world). Then this idea spread and now we are suffering a major decline in talented musicians. As for will smith, well what can i say.

I think that to bring music production back to the right standards the music industry has to stop concentrating on making money through merchendise and radio and start investing more on live shows. A band is only as good as they can play live. Rap music live is just simply boring, as it normally is. That way less people would attend these shows, people would stop wasting their time on trying to make music simply for the money, and the true music would once again resurface.

lucablight

First Grade
madunit said:
any female solo singer should be automatically added to the list.

As well as anyone anywhere who "won" some competition to become a musician.

anyone who can't use a musical instrument (ie, all that techno, hip hop, rap bullsh*t)

Ricky Martin

Robbie Williams.

They are both dumb things to say. Very narrow minded. There are plenty of good solo female singers and even though I'm not a fan of the competition winners I think Kelly Clarkson is quite good.

Also can the people here bagging name some "good" music? I'm interested in your definition and I would like some examples.

FunkyMonk

Juniors
lucablight said:
They are both dumb things to say. Very narrow minded. There are plenty of good solo female singers and even though I'm not a fan of the competition winners I think Kelly Clarkson is quite good.

Also can the people here bagging name some "good" music? I'm interested in your definition and I would like some examples.

There is no exact definition of "good music", it's like not being able to give an exact definition for time and infinity. That's the great thing about good music, it's infinite, because time is infinite, and music is all about time or timing. I guess I could throw out a few bands which in my opinion would classify as good music....

Jimi Hendrix
John Frusicante
Led Zeppelin
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Metallica

There are many more but i don't have the time.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
FunkyMonk said:
There is no exact definition of "good music", it's like not being able to give an exact definition for time and infinity. That's the great thing about good music, it's infinite, because time is infinite, and music is all about time or timing. I guess I could throw out a few bands which in my opinion would classify as good music....

Jimi Hendrix
John Frusicante
Led Zeppelin
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Metallica

Very good list mate, But you forgot the mighty Doors :cool:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
FunkyMonk said:

Jimi Hendrix
John Frusicante
Led Zeppelin
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Metallica

Timing? so if Dark side of the moon was released today and flopped it wouldn't be good music? yes timing is very important for particluar types of music, but most people can distinguish between talented music and utter crap.

Good music is a combination of competent singing, guitar playing, drum work, songwriting abilities etc whilst also demonstrating originality, variety & being an influence to people for musical reasons alone.

RHCP i wouldn't classify as good music. When Blood Sex Sugar Magic came out they were unreal, but since they haven't really showed me they are a great band? Anthony is a very ordinary vocalist who too me just likes to rap in his singing rather then hold a note like Axl, and i don't believe his range is any better then a Gene Simmons.

Van Halen should be in that list, they displayed all the traits i believe make great music.

Knightmare

Coach
joel caine number 1 fan said:
why did Scott leave the band for i thought they were never the same when he left

there style of music just changed so much

Scott was dropped because he was hitting the bottle too much, one night he couldn't play a gig so travis (who was with another band) filled in for Scott and Mark & Tom agreed that he was who they were looking for. The song 'Man Overboard' is about Scott, apparently.

FunkyMonk

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
Timing? so if Dark side of the moon was released today and flopped it wouldn't be good music? yes timing is very important for particluar types of music, but most people can distinguish between talented music and utter crap.

Good music is a combination of competent singing, guitar playing, drum work, songwriting abilities etc whilst also demonstrating originality, variety & being an influence to people for musical reasons alone.

RHCP i wouldn't classify as good music. When Blood Sex Sugar Magic came out they were unreal, but since they haven't really showed me they are a great band? Anthony is a very ordinary vocalist who too me just likes to rap in his singing rather then hold a note like Axl, and i don't believe his range is any better then a Gene Simmons.

Van Halen should be in that list, they displayed all the traits i believe make great music.

Wow, what would you classify it as then? I can understand that you mighn't like Anthony's voice cos he hasn't got much range. But i must say if i had to ever evaluate rap, i'd put his rapping at the top of the list. And if you really listen to Stadium Arcadium you'll see that his voice has improved a lot. And Frusciante's backing vocals make it sound even better. As well as that the Chili Peppers put on the best live show EVER, so that completley defines them as a great band.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
lucablight said:

No they aren't dumb things to say.

Every single female singer nowadays does the same thing, pop techno bullsh*t, they are pissy silver spoon fed bitches that try and act like hardcore s**ts.

The whole sound and image bores me sh*tless.

the last 8 years, U2 has made more songs sound the same that any other band, including Nickleback, Creed and Live.

It's all way too commercial now. Don't get me wrong, I understand that these guys need to earn their money too and they are making these songs to try and maximise the money they can make from the buying public. It just seems that music is not as varied today as it once used to be. All the lines are being blurred.

LESStar58

Referee
FunkyMonk said:
Music is not the same as it used to be. We have Rap beating Rock at the Grammys. Stupid f**king Crazy Frog hitting the top of the charts, and Paris Hilton making music (wtf!). This is a petition thread to identify and allienate the sh*ttest music that is produced by parasites who like to invade the charts with their talentless NOISE.

here's my list:

All these lovesick, GAY rappers are at the top of the list
Akon
Usher(bullet)
Nelly(bullet)
the game
justin timberlake (bullet)
Pharrell (ferral)
Jay-Z

along with these "hardcore" ganstas
50 cent
X-zibit
Snoop Dogg
Fat Joe
D12

+

Beyounce
Hillary Duff
Jo Jo
Simple Plan
Will Smith (stick to acting bud)
lindsay lohan
Hinder
Gay Sebastian & Shennan Noll
Pink
NICKLEBACK
Black Eyed Peas

Also, pretty much all the Emo bands (there are way too many too name, all sh*t and untalentless.)

And this goes for most of these "hardcore" heavy metal bands, such as Aytreu.

And what the hell is with sh*tty bands coming up with ridiculous names such as
Fundamentalistic Motherf**kers, and nickleback.

anyone got any comments or anything to add?

I agree with you Funky but to be honest the whole argument against manufactured pop and the stuff you have outlined is indicative ofone thing: it's in the charts and winning awards because it's not just what people wanna hear, it what they are actally spending the money on, buying and listening to.

It's a sad fact of life, yes but the fact is that it won't change.

The best thing you can do is simply avoid all this mediocrity. DOn't listen to commercial radio. Stay away from Video Hits. Listen to the stuff that is in your CD collection, on your iPod etc.

I don't listen to the radio anymore, unless its the oldies station at work.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
FunkyMonk said:
Wow, what would you classify it as then? I can understand that you mighn't like Anthony's voice cos he hasn't got much range. But i must say if i had to ever evaluate rap, i'd put his rapping at the top of the list. And if you really listen to Stadium Arcadium you'll see that his voice has improved a lot. And Frusciante's backing vocals make it sound even better. As well as that the Chili Peppers put on the best live show EVER, so that completley defines them as a great band.
Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that RHCP are capable of putting on a better live show than say Queen, Metallica, Rolling Stones or even John Farnham