What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's all about the sh*t music!

FunkyMonk

Juniors
donkey|rope said:
The Grammy's are a joke. You can essentially count on one hand the times they have issued an award to an act that actually deserved it for their musical output in that particular year, rather than their celebrity or the plain blissful ignorance of the voters.

You do realize hip-hop music in the early days was a protest against the music industry and their idea or what is and isn't music. Listen to some public enemy, rakim & eric b, or boogie down productions, the sound scapes they rapped over was in essence anti-music to their narratives of disenfranchised youth in america. If you want to complain that hip-hop is less 'musical' than some other genre's of music, I can't really argue with that. It is. Though most of the time it doesn’t try to be, and others there are indeed exceptions to that idea. But there are certain historical reasons as to why that is the case. Hip-hop came into being as the american government begun to slash funds for inner city (see. black) schools, and the first thing to be taken out of the syllabus was music. At the same time there was a growing rate of unemployment, poverty and crime in these same areas. So when kids wanted to express themselves musically, they couldn't rely on musical theory, instruments and daddy’s money that their suburban counterparts did, they relied on the same do-it-your-self work ethic that is associated with the punk scene.

I'd also like to point out, "anyone could get into the charts as long as they could open their mouth and drop a beat", and because if that were the case I'm sure at least 10 people from this msg board would have a hit single by now. There is actually a lot of skill that goes into rapping, but if you've grown up thinking what Anthony Kiedis does is remotely close to good then I'd be hard pressed explaining it to you. At the same time though, I can't and won't try to defend the majority of modern day top 40 pop rappers. But I don't blame them, they, like so called 'punk' bands like sum 41, good charlotte etc. are only giving the market what they want, i.e. dangerously non-threatening music for posers.

The real problem is you are judging a whole genre based on observations of the most shallow chart orientated hip-hop acts in the industry. The only solace is, I’m sure somewhere on the other side of the spectrum there is a kid somewhere watching video hits thinking rock music is the-worst-thing-since-forever, because all they've seen and herd is nickleback, system of the down, wolfmother, hinder, green day, the darkness and washed up supergroups like u2, metallica and red hot chili peppers.

I actually think most hip-hop acts suck live. But some are pretty amazing, and you'd probably be well aware of it if you've ever seen The Roots, J5, Atmosphere, De La Soul, Blackalicious, Mos Def etc live. But I think you sort of miss the point about rappers having lots of other acts sharing the stage; hip-hop was birthed in massive street parties where basically anyone from the neighbourhood who made music got a chance to perform to the crowd. It's more of a cultural thing than trying to cover up the fact they aren't very good live.

Ok I don't know how much you know about music so i'm not ging to bust out with various insults. But those bands that you have named, especially metallica and chili peppers, ARE good bands. Chili Peppers washed up? You got another thing coming mate. Metallica are also making a new album as we speak so that'll be interesting to see.

Some rap concerts are pretty amazing eh? one in a trillion if its on a good day. If they are rebeling against the music then get those motherf**kers off the bloody charts and tell them to go and shove their crappy, lame, piece of sh*t music up their ass!

50 cent is horrible hes music is boring i really dont care if hes drum machine has a good beat

i like most rap much nas,x-zibit,snoop,d.o.c,nwa.ice cube but cmon 50 is the worse rap artist ever

FunkyMonk

Juniors
joel caine number 1 fan said:
50 cent is horrible hes music is boring i really dont care if hes drum machine has a good beat

i like most rap much nas,x-zibit,snoop,d.o.c,nwa.ice cube but cmon 50 is the worse rap artist ever

There is no such thing as a rap artist/musician. They are all just a bunch of wankstas mumbling sh*t into the microphone with a drum machine in the background.

Samwise

Bench
FunkyMonk said:
There is no such thing as a rap artist/musician. They are all just a bunch of wankstas mumbling sh*t into the microphone with a drum machine in the background.

Sounds like someone is uneducated on the subject. Also quite a strange comment coming from a chili peppers fan.

Godz Illa

Coach
I'm guessing FunkyMonk latched on to the Chili Peppers after Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and missed Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mothers Milk. Just about all Kiedis did on those records was rap.

HevyDevy

Coach
Steel Dragon said:
No - Will Smith was a rapper - turned actor.

At the same time - you cant blame a record company for wanting to make squillions!
As long as there's ignorant idiots out there - the "artists" on your list will continue to sell.

While i dont personally like most of those on your list, it is a bit narrow minded to imply that anything other than Rock music doesnt derserve to exist.

It's funny - I always hated that rappers only sang about money and sex etc.
Then late one night I caught a video clip for David Lee Roth - and it occured to me that the 80's glam/hair metal that I have a secret passion for, is all about money and sex.

Diamond Dave is God.

I'd be interested to hear his new bluegrass album "Strummin with the Devil". Brilliant!!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Samwise said:
wow, i didn't realise a penis was directly correlated to musical ability.

There are plenty of excellent female solo artists, see beth orton, bjork, camille, holly throsby, jill scott, laura imbruglia, macromantics, regina spektor, emilie simon, sarah blasko, lady sovereign, sophie koh, unathi, claire bowditch.

maybe you should look for music outside of the top 40, then you'll find something which isn't manufactured crap.
I didn't say all female performers did I sam?

I said female solo artists.

I actually quite like the works of Garbage.

Every single name you mentioned adds to my statement.

macavity

Referee
Godz Illa said:
I'm guessing FunkyMonk latched on to the Chili Peppers after Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and missed Uplift Mofo Party Plan and Mothers Milk. Just about all Kiedis did on those records was rap.

good call.

wonder what he thinks of early Faith No More too.......

Samwise

Bench
madunit said:
I didn't say all female performers did I sam?

I said female solo artists.

I actually quite like the works of Garbage.

Every single name you mentioned adds to my statement.

So a female musician is only good when they are surrounded by a bunch of men? ah ok that's much better.

Besides the fact that I don't believe you have heard of everyone on that list, how about you list some of your favourite artists so we can all make fun of your tastes?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why do people say there's no good bands around these days? There are - you just have to look for them. Of course, everyone has their own different tastes.

Steel Dragon

Bench
I think its very narrow minded to say that only one particular genre of music is worth listening to.

Musicians blend their music and distort the genre boundaries so much, pulling influences from all aspects of music - that it is hard to tell where one particular style stops and one begins.

Take your Rage Against the Machine, Faith No More, RHCP's for example - they combine rap and rock. Chilis even blend a whole lotta funk.
Led Zeppelin combined blues, soul, metal, reggae - pretty much everything.

And to dismiss all female soloists is just damn crazy. Joni Mitchell anyone?!?! There are plenty of your male vocalists fronting rock bands that cite her as a direct influence.

All this talk is just opinion - and like a$$holes - everyones got one.
The problem is that you cant always stand the smell of everyones.

I say - if you dont like a song - dont listen to it. No one is forcing you to watch Video Hits and listen to commercial radio. Grow some balls and do something about it. Better yet - start your own band and show us how its done!

Kiwi

First Grade
FunkyMonk said:
Music is not the same as it used to be. We have Rap beating Rock at the Grammys. Stupid f**king Crazy Frog hitting the top of the charts, and Paris Hilton making music (wtf!). This is a petition thread to identify and allienate the sh*ttest music that is produced by parasites who like to invade the charts with their talentless NOISE.

here's my list:

All these lovesick, GAY rappers are at the top of the list
Akon
Usher(bullet)
Nelly(bullet)
the game
justin timberlake (bullet)
Pharrell (ferral)
Jay-Z

along with these "hardcore" ganstas
50 cent
X-zibit
Snoop Dogg
Fat Joe
D12

+

Beyounce
Hillary Duff
Jo Jo
Simple Plan
Will Smith (stick to acting bud)
lindsay lohan
Hinder
Gay Sebastian & Shennan Noll
Pink
NICKLEBACK
Black Eyed Peas

Also, pretty much all the Emo bands (there are way too many too name, all sh*t and untalentless.)

And this goes for most of these "hardcore" heavy metal bands, such as Aytreu.

And what the hell is with sh*tty bands coming up with ridiculous names such as
Fundamentalistic Motherf**kers, and nickleback.

anyone got any comments or anything to add?

Just because you don't like it, there is plenty of music I can't stand, but that doesn't make it crap. That fact is these bands/rappers are popular, very popular. If you don't like it fine, go off and listen to what ever obscure no name band/singer you like. If you think these people are talentless, well again your wrong, they just don't do what you like, deal with it. Quite frankly the most annoying music lovers are the people like you who complain about mainstream music because it's not what you listen to.

macavity

Referee
HevyDevy said:
What???

You're off my Christmas Card list!!

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is one of the great albums.

Just cant handle death metal style stuff

I know they aren't exactly Slayer or Cradle of Filth, but its just not my cup of tea, or goblet of goats blood if you prefer....

im into everything from TOOL to King Tubby - but death metal I cant do.

Iron Maiden fans celebrate christmas????

HevyDevy

Coach
Kiwi said:
Just because you don't like it, there is plenty of music I can't stand, but that doesn't make it crap. That fact is these bands/rappers are popular, very popular. If you don't like it fine, go off and listen to what ever obscure no name band/singer you like. If you think these people are talentless, well again your wrong, they just don't do what you like, deal with it. Quite frankly the most annoying music lovers are the people like you who complain about mainstream music because it's not what you listen to.

Ahhh, I see. You're one of those that believes chart music is there because it's good.

Talent is not an opinion, no matter how many 12-year-old girls tell you Britney is good.

FunkyMonk

Juniors
Kiwi said:

Wow, you must know ALOT about music to classify Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Pepperes, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd as NONAME band/singer.

Latest posts