What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's all about the sh*t music!

FunkyMonk

Juniors
madunit said:
Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that RHCP are capable of putting on a better live show than say Queen, Metallica, Rolling Stones or even John Farnham

By the sounds of it, you obviously have never seen the Peppers live. Have a look on you tube at some of their older videos. where they put on the wildest, craziest and powerfull shows. I know the energy is very coke fueled but it's still awesome nonetheless.

FunkyMonk

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
I agree with you Funky but to be honest the whole argument against manufactured pop and the stuff you have outlined is indicative ofone thing: it's in the charts and winning awards because it's not just what people wanna hear, it what they are actally spending the money on, buying and listening to.

It's a sad fact of life, yes but the fact is that it won't change.

The best thing you can do is simply avoid all this mediocrity. DOn't listen to commercial radio. Stay away from Video Hits. Listen to the stuff that is in your CD collection, on your iPod etc.

I don't listen to the radio anymore, unless its the oldies station at work.

yes i don't really listen to it the charts much anymore. but it kind of hurts to see great bands like Chili Peppers or Wolfmother being at the bottom of the charts. And absolute crap like JoJo, Beyonce and f**king akon in the top 10. I think that is what rages most people, seeing their favourite bands being beaten by some junk. In my opinion they should just get rid of the charts all together. The whole music business needs to be reorganized in order for it to stay alive. I don't understand how they are making money of it. Most of the pop sh*t can be loaded of the net for free.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
FunkyMonk said:
By the sounds of it, you obviously have never seen the Peppers live. Have a look on you tube at some of their older videos. where they put on the wildest, craziest and powerfull shows. I know the energy is very coke fueled but it's still awesome nonetheless.
my statement still stands

Raider_69

Post Whore
probably be cained for this but the peppers are one of very few old bands stll capible of producing a good song. I love their old stuff but their new stuff is decent too

btw i dont mind 2 hinder songs, better than me is a top song, lips of an angel is bareable, the rest is sh*te though. Nickleback peaked with this is how you remind me and figured you out. Dont mind all american rejects either.

FunkyMonk

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
probably be cained for this but the peppers are one of very few old bands stll capible of producing a good song. I love their old stuff but their new stuff is decent too

btw i dont mind 2 hinder songs, better than me is a top song, lips of an angel is bareable, the rest is sh*te though. Nickleback peaked with this is how you remind me and figured you out. Dont mind all american rejects either.

completley agree with you. their new stuff is really great and can easily be appreciated by open minded people, not closedminded redneck bigots.

Samwise

Bench
madunit said:
any female solo singer should be automatically added to the list.

wow, i didn't realise a penis was directly correlated to musical ability.

There are plenty of excellent female solo artists, see beth orton, bjork, camille, holly throsby, jill scott, laura imbruglia, macromantics, regina spektor, emilie simon, sarah blasko, lady sovereign, sophie koh, unathi, claire bowditch.

maybe you should look for music outside of the top 40, then you'll find something which isn't manufactured crap.

Samwise

Bench
madunit said:
Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that RHCP are capable of putting on a better live show than say Queen, Metallica, Rolling Stones or even John Farnham

have you seen any of these acts live? Out of those i've seen RHCP and metallica and the peppers can definitely hold their own on stage in comparison.

Phillips

Referee
Samwise said:
wow, i didn't realise a penis was directly correlated to musical ability.

There are plenty of excellent female solo artists, see beth orton, bjork, camille, holly throsby, jill scott, laura imbruglia, macromantics, regina spektor, emilie simon, sarah blasko, lady sovereign, sophie koh, unathi, claire bowditch.

maybe you should look for music outside of the top 40, then you'll find something which isn't manufactured crap.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
FunkyMonk said:
we don't all hate modern rap, obviosly, judging by the useless grammys. But in my opinion rap music has killed music all together. Like an HIV virus. At first popular music had standards, but when rap was introduced and people realized that anyone could get into the charts as long as they could open their mouth and drop a beat (no matter how sh*t it was. some rap beats are horrible, snoop dogg's drop it like it's hot for example is like saying a big f**k YOU to the musical world). Then this idea spread and now we are suffering a major decline in talented musicians. As for will smith, well what can i say.

I think that to bring music production back to the right standards the music industry has to stop concentrating on making money through merchendise and radio and start investing more on live shows. A band is only as good as they can play live. Rap music live is just simply boring, as it normally is. That way less people would attend these shows, people would stop wasting their time on trying to make music simply for the money, and the true music would once again resurface.

I reckon 50 Cent, as a lyricist, is woeful.

But for some reason, his songs always have great beats. Probably a testament to his producer and music writer though.

As for Will Smith, what can you say?

And as for live rap music...As I said, not 50 Cent's biggest fan, but his concert went off. The crowd was up amd jumping...The beats got everyone pyshced...The atmosphere was off the wall.

Samwise

Bench
i'm sure we can all have a go at some of those artists cos we all have different tastes. That list was based on my personal opinion, however my point remains. Saying someone is a crap musician based on their gender is geniused.

FunkyMonk

Juniors
Eelementary said:

But for some reason, his songs always have great beats. Probably a testament to his producer and music writer though.

And as for live rap music...As I said, not 50 Cent's biggest fan, but his concert went off. The crowd was up amd jumping...The beats got everyone pyshced...The atmosphere was off the wall.

I already said everything I needed about Will Smith. so i'll put it out in big capitals -------sh*tE!

Now as for live rap music, yes maybe 50cents concert did go off, but only because he DOES have a good music writer writing music for him (well good in that genre). Now compare that to the energetic insanity of a Led Zeppeling or Metallica concert and you'll see the difference. I mean maybe 50 cent puts on a good live show, like Slipknot. Their music is utter sh*t but they put on a great act. But i've seen a few rap concert and i don't know if you have noticed by a rap artists hardly ever puts on a solo perfomance, he always has MANY other rappers from elsewhere backing him up. You know why? Because if a rap artist went solo, then the concert would be what?..... that's right BORING. That's why they need to bunch up on stage. Waste of money and space that's all r&b hip hop music is.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
FunkyMonk said:
Wow, what would you classify it as then? I can understand that you mighn't like Anthony's voice cos he hasn't got much range. But i must say if i had to ever evaluate rap, i'd put his rapping at the top of the list. And if you really listen to Stadium Arcadium you'll see that his voice has improved a lot. And Frusciante's backing vocals make it sound even better. As well as that the Chili Peppers put on the best live show EVER, so that completley defines them as a great band.

I will agree with you on that, Anthony's vocals have improved. But also other aspects like Bass, Guitar, drums are very simplistic and not a band that will make you wanna start playing guitar or playign drums. To me they're not classic rock.

I would classify RHCP as a good band, but not a band i'm going to look up and learn how to play there stuff, you get me?

Best live show ever? ever seen Floyd in concert? or what about KISS?, Van Halen, Motely Crue, Gunners, The Eagles, Bee Gees, ACDC?;-)

I have seen everyone of these groups execpt for Floyd and the Eagles.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Eelementary said:

:lol: say's it all really about Rap

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hillary Duff and Beyounce are good artists. The rest I agree with. Get the soundtrack to Dreamgirls and Beyounce sings well.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Samwise said:
i'm sure we can all have a go at some of those artists cos we all have different tastes. That list was based on my personal opinion, however my point remains. Saying someone is a crap musician based on their gender is geniused.

True. My bad.

And Bjork is...Interesting. Her music has always been interesting.

Eelementary

Post Whore
FunkyMonk said:
I already said everything I needed about Will Smith. so i'll put it out in big capitals -------sh*tE!

Now as for live rap music, yes maybe 50cents concert did go off, but only because he DOES have a good music writer writing music for him (well good in that genre). Now compare that to the energetic insanity of a Led Zeppeling or Metallica concert and you'll see the difference. I mean maybe 50 cent puts on a good live show, like Slipknot. Their music is utter sh*t but they put on a great act. But i've seen a few rap concert and i don't know if you have noticed by a rap artists hardly ever puts on a solo perfomance, he always has MANY other rappers from elsewhere backing him up. You know why? Because if a rap artist went solo, then the concert would be what?..... that's right BORING. That's why they need to bunch up on stage. Waste of money and space that's all r&b hip hop music is.

I went and saw AC/DC a few years back, and they had four opening bands playing that night...Does that make them boring and sh*t?

I agree on 50 Cent - his music writer is great.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
:lol: say's it all really about Rap

:lol: It does!

I'm not going to say 50 Cent is a great musician, because his lyrics for the most part are woeful, and he doesn't create his own music. But he is a great hits machine - his music writer and he himself are farily good at producing hits.

But yeah - 50's songs usually always have good beats to them. Which means his music writer is very talented.

donkey|rope

Juniors
FunkyMonk said:
we don't all hate modern rap, obviosly, judging by the useless grammys. But in my opinion rap music has killed music all together. Like an HIV virus. At first popular music had standards, but when rap was introduced and people realized that anyone could get into the charts as long as they could open their mouth and drop a beat (no matter how sh*t it was. some rap beats are horrible, snoop dogg's drop it like it's hot for example is like saying a big f**k YOU to the musical world). Then this idea spread and now we are suffering a major decline in talented musicians. As for will smith, well what can i say.
The Grammy's are a joke. You can essentially count on one hand the times they have issued an award to an act that actually deserved it for their musical output in that particular year, rather than their celebrity or the plain blissful ignorance of the voters.

You do realize hip-hop music in the early days was a protest against the music industry and their idea or what is and isn't music. Listen to some public enemy, rakim & eric b, or boogie down productions, the sound scapes they rapped over was in essence anti-music to their narratives of disenfranchised youth in america. If you want to complain that hip-hop is less 'musical' than some other genre's of music, I can't really argue with that. It is. Though most of the time it doesn’t try to be, and others there are indeed exceptions to that idea. But there are certain historical reasons as to why that is the case. Hip-hop came into being as the american government begun to slash funds for inner city (see. black) schools, and the first thing to be taken out of the syllabus was music. At the same time there was a growing rate of unemployment, poverty and crime in these same areas. So when kids wanted to express themselves musically, they couldn't rely on musical theory, instruments and daddy’s money that their suburban counterparts did, they relied on the same do-it-your-self work ethic that is associated with the punk scene.

I'd also like to point out, "anyone could get into the charts as long as they could open their mouth and drop a beat", and because if that were the case I'm sure at least 10 people from this msg board would have a hit single by now. There is actually a lot of skill that goes into rapping, but if you've grown up thinking what Anthony Kiedis does is remotely close to good then I'd be hard pressed explaining it to you. At the same time though, I can't and won't try to defend the majority of modern day top 40 pop rappers. But I don't blame them, they, like so called 'punk' bands like sum 41, good charlotte etc. are only giving the market what they want, i.e. dangerously non-threatening music for posers.

The real problem is you are judging a whole genre based on observations of the most shallow chart orientated hip-hop acts in the industry. The only solace is, I’m sure somewhere on the other side of the spectrum there is a kid somewhere watching video hits thinking rock music is the-worst-thing-since-forever, because all they've seen and herd is nickleback, system of the down, wolfmother, hinder, green day, the darkness and washed up supergroups like u2, metallica and red hot chili peppers.

FunkyMonk said:
I actually think most hip-hop acts suck live. But some are pretty amazing, and you'd probably be well aware of it if you've ever seen The Roots, J5, Atmosphere, De La Soul, Blackalicious, Mos Def etc live. But I think you sort of miss the point about rappers having lots of other acts sharing the stage; hip-hop was birthed in massive street parties where basically anyone from the neighbourhood who made music got a chance to perform to the crowd. It's more of a cultural thing than trying to cover up the fact they aren't very good live.

Latest posts