What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

Dea

Juniors
Step 1. Admitting we have a problem and life has become unmanageable. Always the toughest.

St Georgio

Juniors
I really cannot see any other alternatives ATM, we are now positioned in very comfortable situation where Really Ivan is primed to be our coach, second option if somehow Doust screws this up, I am sure one of the Smithy Brothers if offered the gig would take it, mainly Brian since Tony is pretty comfortable in England!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I do not think that Brian Smith will be back as he had little time for Warren Lockwood and Danny Robinson after he opposed the merger with the Roosters whom he called the Eastern Suburbs Featherdusters. He said that St.George should have been run more like Canterbury.

St Georgio

Juniors
I do not think that Brian Smith will be back as he had little time for Warren Lockwood and Danny Robinson after he opposed the merger with the Roosters whom he called the Eastern Suburbs Featherdusters. He said that St.George should have been run more like Canterbury.
. Yeah that's a while ago way before social media, I think the board must listen To what the fans want too you know!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Brian Smith I am sure would have preferred the St George Illawarra merger as he coached both those teams. Brian Johnston was CEO at the time and I did not notice any acrimony between them. Smith brought in players like David Barnhill, Phil Blake, Peter Coyne, Scott Gourlay and Martin Offiah and got to two grand finals. That said he could be a good option as times would be exciting and he would promote the younger players and look
outside the square. Apparently he used to do extensive video sessions which drove Phil Blake mad.
What about Phil Blake as backs coach.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I'm not sure I want Brian Smith as coach. He would definitely be relentless in a clean out. But don't see him as the right option.

Only capacity I would want to see him in is as a coaching director. He has enough knowledge/expertise to do a very good job, like a Phil Gould.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
You won't be watching exciting footy but you will definately win games with Brian that is for sure. Great coach and I feel for him as he has got to the GF 4 times only to lose to Wayne Bennett 3 times and a Newcastle Team led by an immortal in Andrew Johns. How different it would be if Smithy won the 3 against Bennett? He would be up there as one of the best but unfortunately is unwanted now. Would be equal with Bennett on premierships and be on a huge salary wanted by every club.

Sad that a coach like Hagan who won a GF with a team run by Johns and did nothing since and Smithy got to 4 GF's with 3 different teams and won none.

It was a sad day when he left the club. I liked what he did to the Saints as he made them a force again in the early 90's from his first season in charge only to have Superleague end a promising career at Saints. And that side Brian had only had 1 rep player at the time in Brad McKay who was on the bench most of the time. He had a team on juniors and unknown players which he developed into stars.

Sigurd

Juniors
I think Brian Smith would be a revelation. Maybe not win a premiership within 2 or 3 years but I feel after 3 years we would have a very different team and a team which no other club takes lightly as opposed to the laughing stock we are now.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
This needs to happen soon. The club needs to stop sitting on their hands and waiting for this "End of Season Review" bullshit in November... NOVEMBER. That is STILL two months away.
Look at the Warriors, they had a poor season so they sacked the coach straight away and moved quickly on Kearney, our Board should be doing the same with Cleary. Point out the problem and deal with it as soon as possible, especially when you're dealing with an open market. Sign him and let him settle in and get his affairs in order BEFORE the off-season starts in November.
Milward made a comment that we still have teams who are playing finals football, and that's true, however I feel like the Board aren't full of 15 year old boys who can't multi-task. It is very possible to look after many different football operations at once.
Please get this done Doust.

St Georgio

Juniors
This needs to happen soon. The club needs to stop sitting on their hands and waiting for this "End of Season Review" bullshit in November... NOVEMBER. That is STILL two months away.
Look at the Warriors, they had a poor season so they sacked the coach straight away and moved quickly on Kearney, our Board should be doing the same with Cleary. Point out the problem and deal with it as soon as possible, especially when you're dealing with an open market. Sign him and let him settle in and get his affairs in order BEFORE the off-season starts in November.
Milward made a comment that we still have teams who are playing finals football, and that's true, however I feel like the Board aren't full of 15 year old boys who can't multi-task. It is very possible to look after many different football operations at once.
Please get this done Doust.
I agree bring on Cleary or Smith announce it immediately f**k this waiting shit!

Gareth67

First Grade
I think Brian Smith would be a revelation. Maybe not win a premiership within 2 or 3 years but I feel after 3 years we would have a very different team and a team which no other club takes lightly as opposed to the laughing stock we are now.

My mate Sigurd , I am giving you this like on the condition that all of your future contributions to to the Dragons Forum may be as sensible and non- confronting as your current post is .

Gareth67

First Grade
Kearney getting the Warriors gig would have to give our hopes of landing Cleary a shot in the arm.

Yes , if he does intend to coach next year , it would appear more likely now .
Perhaps Paul Kent was correct in what he said earlier about Cleary going to the
Dragons ?

Still , I will feel better once we know for sure , then we can truly look towards the future with more optimism .

Last edited:

Latest posts