What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Players are on end of season trip and we still have teams in finals from other grades. I am assuming they are waiting for these to be completed.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Plus we don't want to disrupt Panthers finals campaign if we get Cleary and his son.....Wishful thinking...Nathan won't leave Panthers

Alec's-saints

Juniors
We don't have the $$ to pay out super coach McGregors contract. It's all speculation at this stage. Who has reliable source?

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
If the decline of the club under Price and McGregor is not arrested and turned around the club will have a lot more to worry about than paying out Clueless.
Another year of no attack, no points, poor defence will really test membership numbers and supporter interest.

Lethal25

Juniors
If the decline of the club under Price and McGregor is not arrested and turned around the club will have a lot more to worry about than paying out Clueless.
Another year of no attack, no points, poor defence will really test membership numbers and supporter interest.
Hmmmmm....no attack, no points, no defence, no supporters. Sounds like they may have nothing to worry about!

nrlnrl

First Grade
This needs to happen soon. The club needs to stop sitting on their hands and waiting for this "End of Season Review" bullshit in November... NOVEMBER. That is STILL two months away.
Look at the Warriors, they had a poor season so they sacked the coach straight away and moved quickly on Kearney, our Board should be doing the same with Cleary. Point out the problem and deal with it as soon as possible, especially when you're dealing with an open market. Sign him and let him settle in and get his affairs in order BEFORE the off-season starts in November.
Milward made a comment that we still have teams who are playing finals football, and that's true, however I feel like the Board aren't full of 15 year old boys who can't multi-task. It is very possible to look after many different football operations at once.
Please get this done Doust.
I understand the frustration but even the Warriors waited until all their teams had finished their 2016 playing commitments to announce their changes. (NSW Cup eliminated on Sunday). Please be patient.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Probably the most important message here is that we, the Mighty Dragons, need a new coach.
We are all in anticipation and expectation of who that will be, maybe Cleary, maybe a smoky or maybe just someone we already know.
There may be processes that we are not privy to, final agreements to be made and the new incumbents notified and they have agreed to their new roles. Those on the outer, will also need to be spoken to, explanations given and possible acceptance of their new roles (if any).
We still have teams deep into finals footy, one playing this Sunday with an excellent chance to progress to a maiden grand final appearance. The other a star studded junior team full of confidence and expectation after their amazing win last weekend.
I think it is appropriate at this time to wait until all our squads have finished for 2016. We cannot say definitively that a shake up with coaching, wouldn't impact their psyche and cause them to "drop the Ball" so to speak.
I agree also, that maybe the new coach has loose ends he needs to tie off before an official announcement is made, again be that an internal or external appointment.
The club has been silent now for a few weeks. No new signings, no videos of any of the NRL coaches (even wishing the lower grades success, which I would think appropriate) no news whatsoever to quash or affirm any number of rumours circulating at the moment.
As I said we are all in expectation and anticipation of good news, almost by the hour, but as other forum posters have mentioned, patience is what's required (we cannot compare ourselves with the Warriors quick announcements either). Remember the old adage "good things come to those who wait".
In the meantime let's get on board our lower grade teams, show them our support and that we are a club that does care about them and their futures and that we are united.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Interesting watching Cleary interviewed on tv tonight . He was asked if he was disappointed missing out on the Warriors job which he basically said yes and he felt he had unfinished business with them . But he wished Kearney all the best . Asked again about the Dragons he said... Nothing happening . He is now the favorite for the NZ test job which is full time and Cleary said himself it is a 2 year contract .

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Interesting watching Cleary interviewed on tv tonight . He was asked if he was disappointed missing out on the Warriors job which he basically said yes and he felt he had unfinished business with them . But he wished Kearney all the best . Asked again about the Dragons he said... Nothing happening . He is now the favorite for the NZ test job which is full time and Cleary said himself it is a 2 year contract .

Was this on NRL 360? I missed it unfortunately.
I feel like he's going to keep saying "nothing is happening" until something is announced. It's not as if he's going to say "yeah we're in deep talks there's a deal almost done, press conference soon".

Unless there is ACTUALLY nothing happening. In which case, i'm going to be sad. Very sad.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
watch the membership drop if Mary is still coach

TheFrog

Coach
Plus we don't want to disrupt Panthers finals campaign if we get Cleary and his son.....Wishful thinking...Nathan won't leave Panthers
Not only is Nathan contracted until the end of 2019, but he'd be playing Holden Cup if his dad were still the coach. He doesn't want to leave a playing group that is clearly on target to win premierships in the near future, or a club that has recognised his potential, and above all he doesn't especially want to play under Ivan.

st.phil

Bench
Not only is Nathan contracted until the end of 2019, but he'd be playing Holden Cup if his dad were still the coach. He doesn't want to leave a playing group that is clearly on target to win premierships in the near future, or a club that has recognised his potential, and above all he doesn't especially want to play under Ivan.
contest for premierships yes - winning em is a different matter all together

Latest posts