What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

FlameThrower

Bench
Settle down people, no point blowing a head gasket here.....we are jumping at shadows and starting to bring in other Clubs rumours then putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 7!

chemics

Juniors
trouble is Dragons put 2 & 2 together get 4 then multiply by 2 gets you a forward then plays them at half back!!!
so yes we end up with 7....

dragon thomo

Juniors
As funny as it sounds I think the dragons gig would be more attractive to cleary than the dogs due to the local juniors coming through. The dogs juniors are crap

watatank

Coach
As funny as it sounds I think the dragons gig would be more attractive to cleary than the dogs due to the local juniors coming through. The dogs juniors are crap

He would probably have more money and freedom to do what he wanted at the Bulldogs...it's also closer to home.

emu52

Juniors
I am wondering if Clearys son has let the cat out of the bag, In a interview says hopefully dad will pick up a coaching job in the next couple of weeks

nrlnrl

First Grade
NRLNRL it sounds like you are privy to some inside information...would this be true at least to give us some glimmer of hope that change is in the wings!!!

OK, update from impeccable source (insert joke there about being mate of the coach's milkman's brother etc...) Our current CEO won't be in that role in 2017, but Ivan Cleary hasn't agreed to a job with the Dragons. That could change, but he was still looking at other jobs this week (not head coaching positions). Sorry, if that's vague, but that's all I've been told.

BennyV

Referee
OK, update from impeccable source (insert joke there about being mate of the coach's milkman's brother etc...) Our current CEO won't be in that role in 2017, but Ivan Cleary hasn't agreed to a job with the Dragons. That could change, but he was still looking at other jobs this week (not head coaching positions). Sorry, if that's vague, but that's all I've been told.
Fills me with little-to-no confidence. Doust leaving is a step, but if he's replaced with another Board lackey then it could well be a step backwards. People may rejoice and think that anyone is better, but we said the same thing when Price left.

Does your source say anything on Mary's future?

grouch

First Grade
So have you stopped preaching "patience" now?

Emu01

Juniors
I am wondering if Clearys son has let the cat out of the bag, In a interview says hopefully dad will pick up a coaching job in the next couple of weeks

I thought the same thing Emu, It sounded like he has signed with us and the announcement will be made in a couple of weeks. Keep the champagne on ice for a couple of weeks guys!

Dragonslayer

First Grade

The more this goes on the more I believe that we are going to have McGregor next year....sigh!
Our board must be the most dysfunctional I have ever witnessed. Pride, ego and just a "don't care" attitude has ruined our once powerhouse club.
Of course they are just waiting for the auto renewals to kick in, once that takes place they will then announce that "after an extensive review we can confirm that Paul McGregor is the head coach for 2017. Paul was restricted in 2016 by continued outside influences, and several in the playing group that did not want to be apart of his plans. Those players have since been moved on. With our recruitment Paul can now get on with being our head coach and delivering good results on the field".

Cleary, well he has a job with the NRL currently, he has also been approached to coach the NZ national team (this is a National coach, not Head coach) and maybe there is some truths to the Bulldogs rumours. In any case there have been no positive indications he will be our head coach or coaching director next year.

Another year of Merkin McGregor, strap yourself in boys (and girls) and be prepared to support the Cutters or U20's, because that's about all the excitement were going to get in 2017.

BringTheNoise

Juniors

Except the Bulldogs spend approx. $10 million more per annum than the Dragons on their footballing dept.

There's a reason they're one of the most innovative clubs with regards to sports science etc. whilst our head coach applies a fresh coat of paint to the gym.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If we lose Cleary to another club or coaching position that will do me.
How is the Board prepared to accept such mediocrity? Look at the action the Warriors CEO has taken after this years performance, we should be doing the same. I just don't understand how they cannot see that the club will be so much better off with a coach like Ivan and a fresh staff from outside of the club.

I know there are kinks to iron out, financial situations to consider and paperwork to be sorted but for f**k sake, how hard is it to just finalise this WIN takeover, offer Cleary the job and punt Mary?
I refuse to accept the idea of a 'rebuilding year', under a good coach we actually have a pretty decent squad for next year.
We have the opportunity to pick up a class coach who is hungry to get back in the game, f**k all the old Dragons boys off and bring in Ivan and his staff.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The dogs don't have any juniors because they've bought everyone else's.
So true mate, so true, They wouldn't know what a local junior looks like e.g Thurston, Barba, Finucan, etc. Would hate our club to lose an IMORTAL to keep Sherwin......WOW. And we thought our recruitment was bad. Not as bad as theirs back then.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think this may prompt the Dragons to act quick on Cleary............That is if the want him? Unless they think that Dogs getting Cleary can open the door for them to get Hasler.....

Please no. Not another piece of rubbish from the Dogs to the Saints. Mary's style is not much different to Des, just a cheaper version. Do you think the Morris Boys will follow since they LOOOOVE playing under Des..Tossers.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Cleary goes to the Dogs he will gut the joint and probably get rid of the Morris boys ala Luke Lewis. Cleary is the typoe that would rather spend $$$ on juniors than 30+ year olds that are injury prone.