What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!

strider

Post Whore
Don't start on that whiteboard garbage again....there is nothing wrong with a whiteboard....every coach probably uses them.

But I agree, there is a big issue with motivation and there needs to be some change in the way it is approached.....whatever the approach is obviously can work, cos there have been games where we are mentally switched on and we have played well.....BUT those games are scattered amongst a series of very poor performances where players really lost the plot.

and we read in the media "I don't know why we did so well/bad tonight, we did nothing different to last week" - well something has gotta change - somethings gotta be done to get em up at least most weeks of the season.

PJ Marshal

Coach
Suitman said:
Rightio, I'm on my high horse tonight.

For the umpteenth Friday Night in a row, I have watched a quality performance from a quality team (or usually two teams).

If any club has any reason to be running 12th or lower, it is the Bulldogs, with what they have been through over the past several years. I know much of it is self inflicted, but nevertheless, it is crapo they have had to deal with......and deal with they have.
They are currently leading the competition.

ON THE OTHER HAND, WE HAVE THE EELS.
Well spare me. We have had some injury problems.
Boo f***ing hoo.
Tell me a team that hasn't.

From Bookies favourites in 2001, to has beens in 2002, and non events in 2003 and 2004 is just the lowest of all lows as far as I am concerned.

It is the way it has happened, and the general acceptance by many supporters that has concerned me most.

Week after week, I sit at home and watch quality Friday Night Football.
Parra were given the chance on Fiday nights in 2002, and once again, given more than their chance in 2003, but week after week we were embarressed to the point where it was questioned in the media that our reputation was far preceeding us. Indeed it was.
Since then, we have managed to snag games that were potentially drawcards but ultimately disappointments. From then, we are lucky to be considered.

So, from potential Premiers to Spoon contenders within three years. :roll:
And there are still defenders of these performances on this board.

We have the core of the management/coaching team still on board that were here in 2001. They brought us the goods in 2001, but have brought us diminishing joy thereafter. 3 YEARS.
There has been a Roundabout of players coming and going, all at Brian Smiths choice, and still no improvement seems forthcoming.

Week after week, I see former EELS starring for their newly chosen team.

I have asked myself long and hard why is it that Hodgson, who is playing quite well for the Wests Tigers, was such a dud for us last year. I have asked the same question about Schifcofske, Ryan, (who I was more than happy to see go) Tonga, PJ Marsh, Ian Hindmarsh, Donald, and others.
I ask the question now, WHY VELLA is so lame, after having represented Australia and NSW just two seasons ago.
I ask myself why it is that we play such inept attacking football. Why do people suggest that we do not play with spirit, or toughness, or energy or enthusiasm, as compared with these teams that I see week after week on Friday Nights?

We are just a shadow of our potential former abilities.

OUR COACH HAS RUN OUT OF IDEAS. IT IS SO F***ING OBVIOUS IT IS NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.
I AM SICK AND TIRED OF LOOKING FOR EXCUSES. AND I AM SICK AND TIRED OF READING PEOPLE'S EXCUSES.

I DON'T GIVE A RATS ARSE WHETHER HE HAS GONE OUT AND BOUGHT THE KANGAROOS, HE HAS TO GO.

UNTIL I SEE THE SORT OF RUGBY LEAGUE I EXPECT TO SEE FROM AN EELS TEAM, THE SAME EELS TEAM THAT I GREW UP KNOWING TO BE FIGHTERS, I WILL STRUGGLE TO PUT MY HEART INTO FOLLOWING THEM.
IT PAINS ME TO SAY IT.

BUT AS THE TITLE SAYS...........I'VE HAD ENOUGH.

I WANT TO SEE THE EELS WINNING FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL GAMES AGAIN.....................

Suity :x :x

amen to that brother

ive had a gut full myself, back in the day i could ware my eels jerseys around brisbane and cop shit but be able to say, look at the table dickheads, now all i can do is hang my head in shame!

the way this team has performed of late has been a disgrace considering the playing roster we have etc. I know some of you will go but hey we beat the Roosters and the Broncos!

Hey who gives a f**k are we in the 8 NO, will we make the 8 NO, was this season a waste YES!

everytime i watch parra i dont expect a win thats how bad it is, im even worried when we play souths!

I dunno what its going to take to change it around, clone 24 more Hindy's?, new coach, or injury repelent or a bucket of courage to go around but something needs to be done soon before we win our first wooden spoon in zonks

cureme

Juniors
there is no denying our retention and stuff is up the sh$t, and we are the most under achieving/performing team in the NRL, however it has got to help a team like the Bulldogs when they can field the same team week in week out. like in friday's paper in the footy liftout, under injuries the dogs had 'NIL'

Utey

Coach
It also helps when we have descent halves, one thing Smith has failed in. If we had gotten Orford, I think we woudlve been a premiership contender.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yawn.

:D

But seriously - the coach hasn't run out of ideas.

How do I know?

Well, it's obvious. Certain more obvious tactics have not been employed, such as:

* Playing a stable halves combination in their positions (that means Dykes at 5/8, or Thorman, and Witt at halfback) for more than game at a time

* Not continually playing duds like Pearson and Moi Moi

* Telling the playmakers to change their styles of play to suit the team, instead of the natural choice which is telling the team to adjust to the playmaker. The playmaker is the most important player in the team - they steer you around and create chances and handle the ball every set of 6. Thus isn't it logical for them to be playing theirgame, and for everyone else to adapt? Nope, not with Smithy.

* Continuously playing players who, although I have a soft spot for them, realistically they offer nothing.

For instance, Wagon. Great defence. He offers nothing as a captain. Nothing in attack. Or Pearson, Muspratt, Langi. They just haven't done anything to warrant selection. The only exception is Langi who has been solid all year. But he never looks dangerous in attack - if he gets the ball in open space, he will not look like breaking the line. He just offers nothing in attack.

To say you won't put your heart into following them as much is just nonsense. That is a statement made out of frustration.

It's impossible NOT to love the Eels. And the old adage is true - you have to appreciate the bad times to make the good times sweeter. Just ask Penrith, who were perennial Wooden Spooners and won the title last year.

I would, however, like to see the coach come out and say why we have underperfromed for 3 years now with the same core players and the same coaching staff.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Isn't it funny?

Burt is so crap. He's playing for a crappy team playing crap coming 12th.

And yet he is still on the top try scorers (with 10 for this season) and top point scorers lists.

Yes - he sucks big time.

Unreal V

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Another reason is because Our coach has a tendency to over coach, which just confuses our players to the point where they dont know what to do. Players need to play there natural game. But at Parra they just get confused more and doubt themselves. Hate to say it but Look at the Doggiescum they all play to there natural game and they look like they are enjoying there footy, At parra its more like a job.

Jake the snake is spot on, a coach should coach to his players strengths not try and mould each player to his idea of the perfect player be it half back, 5/8 or what ever.

Dykes runs sideways, that means someone has to run on the inside of him. Thorman likes to run up the middle so someone needs to run off him. Its that simple. How many times have you seen Taylor running onto the field telling Witt how to play. Our half backs this year have been more afraid of making mistakes for fear of being dropped that taking chances.

David Solomona, remember him he made mistakes but when he played his natural game he was unstoppable and did more good than halm.

Playing players out of position also up sets the apple cart and means no combinations are likely to form. We have not developed one combination this year. How many times have you seen McKinnon sniffing for the ball and nothing.

As for Jamie Lyon you could count on one hand the amount of time he got the ball in 2003.

Andrew Ryans game has not changed its just that he has been allowed to play it and has grown with more confidence; same with Tonga.

We could bring any number of players in and they could have all the natural talent in the world but if you get them thinking that there way is not the right way well then you may as well keep Graham Ashley.

The simple answer is the Coach has got to go.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Suity you make alot of sense, and i think you echo the thoughts of the majority of true Eel's fan.

Change is good!!!, change is the inevitable, why doesn't it apply to Parra.

Sitting down and watching Ryan, Hindmarsh, Hodgson, Hodgson, Tonga makes myblood boil........what's even worse is that they were replaced with??>.....wait for it......

- Hopkins
-Widders
-Peek
-Moi Moi
-Muspratt
-Muckett

They may be ok now & then??.......but they are nothing in the talent & consistency department compared to the majority of ex Eel's running around.

Escuse me but what the f** is that?

"TRUE Eels fans"? So what now - if you don't go around saying that half our team can't play, that the coach sucks and that we should play like the Scum, you are not a true Eels fan?

And to answer your question:

* Tonga was replaced by Tahu for next season

* Ryan, Hindmarsh Hodgson by Afamasaga, Mateo, Morrison, Cayless

* Hodgson by McKinnon

Muckert, Muspratt, Pearson, Langi, Moi Moi and a few others should not have been signed at all.

And to the person who discussed heart - you (rightfully) mentioned Hopkins and someone else in there. But not Stapo.

What has he done wrong all of a sudden? He probably has the lowest error rate of any of our forwards this year. He has aggression. He stood up for his teammates. He gave it 100% all year and even scored a try.

Oh that's right - because he's not a Webcke or Price, he sucks.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can I just ask - what is about injuries that some of you people refuse to give in to as a real excuse?

We have players like:

* Cannings - he was touted as being a possible NZ rep in a few years

* Cayless - the current Kiwi captain

* Dykes - erratic but very competent playmaker

* Grothe - sucky in defense but devastating in attack; we have dearly missed him (although IMO Petersen has done a great job on the left side)

* Vaealiki - wasn't at his best, but he was doing good before he got injured

* Lyon - I dislike him, but it's undenibale - he's the best in the world

* Morris - probably our most consistent performer

unavailable, and even Burt and Hindy when they were on fire copped a stint or two.

Now honestly - look at that list I just made and HONESTLY tell me who isn't a class act.

Sure, injuries aren't the greatest excuse, but some people need to realise - those players were quality players, and our depth is not as good qaulity. Thus if we have a bad case of injuries (which we seem to every year), then we will struggle for depth.

Suitman

Post Whore
Injuries??

Round 1. 2004

Parra = FULL STRENGTH.

Result - arse kicking.

Unreal V said it............... "The coach has got to go".

Suity

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree - I think the coach's time is up at Parra.

On Round 1, I doubt anyone would have gotten away with a win against them that night. They were playing for sponsors and to dispell any rumours about them.

And we DID have injuries - Graham was out. I believe so was Prince?

Utey

Coach
The 1st round wasnt our best team i think. It looked good but it was never going to win a premiership. Nobody wouldve beaten them that night let alone a substandard parramatta team.

Eelectrica

Referee
Let me start off by saying the Brian Smith is a good coach. A bad coach doesn't coach three grand finals and last as long as he has. However I don't think he is the best fit for Parra right now though.

This message is board provides a pretty good cross section of supporters. Some believe he can still do it, some don't. Contrary to popular belief either view point is equally acceptable. However if a large proportion of supporters have lost confidence in Smith, isn't fair to say a similar proportion of players feel the same way? If so therein lies the problem and the reason Parramatta needs a coach.

A new coach will provide almost everyone (Ain't no pleasing MR. Everyone ;-) ) with a new sense of hope and belief that things can turn around. Just like when Smith was first named as coach, I think the players and supporters need that feeling again.

CrazyEel

Bench
You've said it all Suity, and said it well, so I have nothing to add other than I agree with you 1000%

strider

Post Whore
Maybe we do need a new coach???....hard to say what the real answer is.

Souths got a new coach and they seem to be playing with more confidence - but do you really believe they are now a good team?....they have a shortage of talent...much like we do.

NZ got a new coach....again they have played a bit better since, but they are hardly the Warriors of the last few years purely because of a change in coach.

One thing that urks me....people seem to talk about their feelings as if they are facts....none of us know what the true story is with our player-coach relationship - you've gotta be in there to know the real story.....I am not saying everything is rosey - obviously it isn't....I just don't like when people state things as "truths" when they don't actually know.

Round 1 probably was as good a team as we could muster this season....and we got our arses handed to us on a plate....the opposition was on fire and we were woeful in the first half.....but all teams have copped a flogging at some stage this year.

And finally....I agree that injuries play a VERY BIG part of any team's success/failure....anyone who totally discounts them seriously has no clue....we look like having a fair team on paper next year...but if we lose 5 top players again for the best part of the season then I can't see us being more cometative no matter who is coaching.

Eelectrica

Referee
I don't know if replacing Smith as coach is going to improve the team either but according to the principle of Occum's razor, instead of finding new explanations for our lack of finals success the last couple of years we must go with the simplest and most consistent explanation.
Smith is the problem.
Don't bypass him.

HE is the one who makes the decisions regarding starting personel.
HE selected the supporting coaches.
HE chose to direct them as to play style.
HE oversees gameplanning.
HE determines which players get an opportunity.
HE establishes routines and policy from preseason throughout the season.
HE has final say on personel acquistion for the last few years.
HE has responsibility for team motivation/morale/tone/etc.
Trying to bypass him and place responsibility elsewhere requires more complex evidence that measures interrelated performances. The simplest explanation is that the person who has had the power to make the final decision is the one responsible.
Brian is the problem.
That's simple.
The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Suity, I have to say that you have been a tad MIA on this subject when the heat's been really on the last few months. I'm rapt that you hvae posted this finally! Needless to say, I agree with you 100%

Smith once was a good coach. Now is shit. Fact - proof is in the Eels table.

The morons that blame injuries ignore clubs like NEwcastle. They are struggling without Joey, and to a lesser extent, long term injuries to Tahu, Hughes, Robbie O, Kennedy etc. The talent on our injury list hasn't been anywhere near theres. Yet they are still in the fight for 8th. Even perennoially talent-lightweight Cronulla are in with a shot. In fact, in the Smith years at Parra, I think you'll find that Cronulla have averaged higher in the premiership than we have.

Parra players don't have the flair that Canterbury, Brisbane, Easts, Melbourne and even North Queensl;and have. They certainly have the talent. But have a friggin look at how they play.

Nathan Hindmarsh - once an untackleable menace on the right - now a tackling machine in defence, and little more than a shitty crab in attack.

Michael Vella - once the bastion on the quick burst to the advantage line and a quick play the ball - now a mid field marshmallow.

Luke Burt - once lightning quick, mature beyond his years, with a great boot. Now a turnstile waiting for the perfect bomb.

Adam Dykes - once Dally M 5/8 of the year - the catalyst for a ton of backline raids at Cronulla, and a kicking game that was second to none. Now, a frustrated crab lamenting shithouse 5/8 selections and centres who can't run into gaps.

Daniel Wagon - once a promising outside back who could read a game quite well. Now, a tackleholic who cannot pass the ball, but leavs inexplicable gaps in defence close to the line.

Willy Tonga - an average up and comer who all of a sudden has the feet of Gasnier in another jumper.

Joel Clinton - a large young lad with soft Greg Drake hitups (read Justin Tsoulos), who now has a premiership and a bag full of Test jumpers.

David Solomona - Once touted as the next Arthur Beetson - we turned a potential ball playing genius into an inept mess, and sent him of to the UK.

Andrew Ryan - a workhorse who got mongrel at the Dogs and now kills it at Origin level.

Parramatta have an old boy's network in place - an untouchable and unaccountable regime that would have been minced at Canterbury long ago. Parra are the one club that's run like a beaurocracy - not a necessarily bad thing, but impossible to change ifit oesn't work. And it doesn't.

6 weeks or so back there was a heap of media pressure on not only Brian SMith, but the board as well. A flukey win v Newy, and it was all gone. Since then, bloked like Colonel and MITS have had a go at me for continuing to seek Smith's sacking, believing that the recent gains have been enough. I reckon we have had better sides than our potential 2005 team - and done sweet FA. 2002 springs to mind, as does 1998-2000. And that's the thing. Too many supporters, some with influence, are happy just to dream hazily aboutthe future, while other clubs are more concerned with getting the present right.

Perfect example - halfback. In 2004, we have had 4 potential halves - all with talent: Dykes, Witt, Thorman and Smith. There have been 2 spots to fill. Daniel Wagon has filled one -and done NOTHING in that time. Dykes, Witt and Thorman have been pitted against each other - when a normal couach would mould them into a combination. Result? Dykjes wants out. Thorman GOT out. Smith isn't being given a run, and is fielding offers from club who know what he is capable of. And Mick Witt, a half with some potential, but probably won't ever become a rep standard half, has the job of guiding around our team of bought stars. As I have said, it's like a p plater being in charge of a formula 1 car. Has Smith not pissed all the halfback talent he has ever had up against the wall, we may not be in this predicament.

I am convinced that too many fans would prefer to see the same old names at the club tha the club become ruthless and seek those that will bring it sucess. And then, paradoxically, the acid that has been scorned on people like Jamie Lyon, who merely withdrew from the NRL for personal reasons, has been disgusting. There are some fans who are more Smith/Fitzgerald fans that Parra fans. A tru Parra fan would want to see the club winning comps, or at the least constantly competetive, as our resources suggest we should. I cannot cop this garbage about Smithy being kept because he is a nice bloke. Otherwise we would have employed Mother Theresa as coach!!!!

Suity, it's about time you got aggro about this! Maintain the rage. Fight for a beter Parramatta, not the pissweak one we have now!!!!!!!!!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Misty Bee said:
Suity, I have to say that you have been a tad MIA on this subject when the heat's been really on the last few months. I'm rapt that you hvae posted this finally! Needless to say, I agree with you 100%

Smith once was a good coach. Now is sh*t. Fact - proof is in the Eels table.

The morons that blame injuries ignore clubs like NEwcastle. They are struggling without Joey, and to a lesser extent, long term injuries to Tahu, Hughes, Robbie O, Kennedy etc. The talent on our injury list hasn't been anywhere near theres. Yet they are still in the fight for 8th. Even perennoially talent-lightweight Cronulla are in with a shot. In fact, in the Smith years at Parra, I think you'll find that Cronulla have averaged higher in the premiership than we have.

Parra players don't have the flair that Canterbury, Brisbane, Easts, Melbourne and even North Queensl;and have. They certainly have the talent. But have a friggin look at how they play.

Nathan Hindmarsh - once an untackleable menace on the right - now a tackling machine in defence, and little more than a shitty crab in attack.

Michael Vella - once the bastion on the quick burst to the advantage line and a quick play the ball - now a mid field marshmallow.

Luke Burt - once lightning quick, mature beyond his years, with a great boot. Now a turnstile waiting for the perfect bomb.

Adam Dykes - once Dally M 5/8 of the year - the catalyst for a ton of backline raids at Cronulla, and a kicking game that was second to none. Now, a frustrated crab lamenting shithouse 5/8 selections and centres who can't run into gaps.

Daniel Wagon - once a promising outside back who could read a game quite well. Now, a tackleholic who cannot pass the ball, but leavs inexplicable gaps in defence close to the line.

Willy Tonga - an average up and comer who all of a sudden has the feet of Gasnier in another jumper.

Joel Clinton - a large young lad with soft Greg Drake hitups (read Justin Tsoulos), who now has a premiership and a bag full of Test jumpers.

David Solomona - Once touted as the next Arthur Beetson - we turned a potential ball playing genius into an inept mess, and sent him of to the UK.

Andrew Ryan - a workhorse who got mongrel at the Dogs and now kills it at Origin level.

Parramatta have an old boy's network in place - an untouchable and unaccountable regime that would have been minced at Canterbury long ago. Parra are the one club that's run like a beaurocracy - not a necessarily bad thing, but impossible to change ifit oesn't work. And it doesn't.

6 weeks or so back there was a heap of media pressure on not only Brian SMith, but the board as well. A flukey win v Newy, and it was all gone. Since then, bloked like Colonel and MITS have had a go at me for continuing to seek Smith's sacking, believing that the recent gains have been enough. I reckon we have had better sides than our potential 2005 team - and done sweet FA. 2002 springs to mind, as does 1998-2000. And that's the thing. Too many supporters, some with influence, are happy just to dream hazily aboutthe future, while other clubs are more concerned with getting the present right.

Perfect example - halfback. In 2004, we have had 4 potential halves - all with talent: Dykes, Witt, Thorman and Smith. There have been 2 spots to fill. Daniel Wagon has filled one -and done NOTHING in that time. Dykes, Witt and Thorman have been pitted against each other - when a normal couach would mould them into a combination. Result? Dykjes wants out. Thorman GOT out. Smith isn't being given a run, and is fielding offers from club who know what he is capable of. And Mick Witt, a half with some potential, but probably won't ever become a rep standard half, has the job of guiding around our team of bought stars. As I have said, it's like a p plater being in charge of a formula 1 car. Has Smith not pissed all the halfback talent he has ever had up against the wall, we may not be in this predicament.

I am convinced that too many fans would prefer to see the same old names at the club tha the club become ruthless and seek those that will bring it sucess. And then, paradoxically, the acid that has been scorned on people like Jamie Lyon, who merely withdrew from the NRL for personal reasons, has been disgusting. There are some fans who are more Smith/Fitzgerald fans that Parra fans. A tru Parra fan would want to see the club winning comps, or at the least constantly competetive, as our resources suggest we should. I cannot cop this garbage about Smithy being kept because he is a nice bloke. Otherwise we would have employed Mother Theresa as coach!!!!

Suity, it's about time you got aggro about this! Maintain the rage. Fight for a beter Parramatta, not the pissweak one we have now!!!!!!!!!

YAWN.

What's this shit about people being morons for seeing facts for facts?

FACT: We don't have players in the echelon of Joey, Tahu, BK, etc.

FACT: We do have players which do the job for OUR TEAM (in case you were wondering, the Eels)

FACT: Burt doesn't need to be on Tahu's level to kill it; he needs to perform at HIS best which is more than good enough for our team (the Eels)

FACT: There are only very few players in the NRL who are absolute topline players; Hill didn't make Origin this year; does that mean you wouldn't want him? Varying players fill varying roles in varying teams. I didn't hear many people whinging about how crap Burt is in 2001, or how shit Hopkins was last year, or Stapo this year (except now people suddenly think he's crap).

Fair dinkum, our personnel may or may not make the 17 of another NRL team. That does not necessarily mean they are crap.

And somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE show me which of the players I listed (Dykes, Cannings, Cayless, Grothe, Vaealiki, Lyon, Morris, etc.) would not be in other team's 17. Thos players are quality players people.

And guess what? They just happen to be out.

And players like Graham, Burt and Hindmarsh, who all at one stage were in fine form for us, are now struggling.

WAKE UP. Our injuries ARE a part of the reason we struggle.

There are, of course, other factors - a big one being that IMO Brian just doesn't coach the blokes the way they need to be coached anymore.

But people saying that injuries, suspensions, poor refereeing decisions and other uncontrollable issues DON'T have a bearing on our team - THEY are the morons.

To finish off, why is it that if person A doesn't agree with person B about this topic, that person A is a moron or outsider?

For instance, I partially blame our injury and suspension tolls over the last few years as a contributing factor to our 'success', much like chopping and changing the team and letting talent go and singing average players.

And yet because I have a different creed to others, I am a moron, an outsider, not a true fan, I don't want what's best for the club, yadda yadda yadda.

I agree with a lot of what has been said, but not all of it.

I DO think we have talent. They are just badly out of form.

I DO think injuries and suspensions have played a part.

And I DO also think that Smith's time is up.

CrazyEel

Bench
Eelementary said:
And yet because I have a different creed to others, I am a moron, an outsider, not a true fan, I don't want what's best for the club, yadda yadda yadda.
Hmm, weren't those terms once reserved for use against anyone who dared question Smith #-o

It would appear it's just a simple case of whether the creed fits the majority or the minority. :mrgreen:

Latest posts