What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Gareth67

First Grade
Smart move by the Club..Get it out there that we are looking at possible replacement for Bird , and drop the Players name..
Gets everyone on edge and gets the Bird Camp a touch apprehensive .
Thinking Bird will want to be part of what appears to be some exciting seasons ahead , particularly now we have a very strong forward pack .
Would expect a decision in the coming week
This is one of the most annoying aspects of players - or their poorly paid agents , being allowed to negotiate a new contract at this stage of the season .

It places everyone on tenterhooks and if the player in question decides to leave and goes elsewhere what does the club get out of it ?

The Dragons gave him the opportunity despite his previous injuries and took a huge chance by signing him , but now the Bird wishes to fly off to greener pastures where there are bigger dollar signs .

Fly away little Birdy , its time that the Dragons had some good quality young blood in their forward pack .

mickeylane

Bench
Michael Chammas reporting on channel 9 the Dragons have made a revised offer to Jack Bird

2 year $1.1 million deal. Thoughts?

Hard Yards

Juniors
True but surely he can see the club’s heading in the right direction & want to be part of the future (hopefully) success.
Jack has stated in a recent interview he very much wants to extend his contract at the club and is excited about the current roster and its potential. I hope he dose stay. So to however has Tariq Simms said how much he wants to stay, but the club seems to have other ideas. As i said in another post sentiment dose not count in a professional league such as todays NRL.

mickeylane

Bench
Jack has stated in a recent interview he very much wants to extend his contract at the club and is excited about the current roster and its potential. I hope he dose stay. So to however has Tariq Simms said how much he wants to stay, but the club seems to have other ideas. As i said in another post sentiment dose not count in a professional league such as todays NRL.
Tariqs contract this year…….$800k!!! Slightly overs I think

dungay dragon

Juniors
its completely subjective, you may think it too much, however Billy Slater and Craig Bellamy have a different view, and are taking a hard look at him, Slater rates him very highly.
Seriously.....Simms form at Club Level past two seasons way below what is expected by someone on $800k.
We now have quality back up in the forwards , with everyone heading in the right direction
Simms has plenty of "support" esp within the 9 media which is pushing his barrow
Sure the Melbourne mob are desperately short of troops at the moment and see Tariq as an ideal solution
Lets not forget its the same Club who refused to let some of theirs go early esp last year unless it was a like for like replacement , playing hard ball...
Tariq wants to go Sure but the Storm can pay in full whatever is owing on his current contract .
As for any future contract at 32 ...now where near 800k esp with the talent coming through

Hard Yards

Juniors
Seriously.....Simms form at Club Level past two seasons way below what is expected by someone on $800k.
We now have quality back up in the forwards , with everyone heading in the right direction
Simms has plenty of "support" esp within the 9 media which is pushing his barrow
Sure the Melbourne mob are desperately short of troops at the moment and see Tariq as an ideal solution
Lets not forget its the same Club who refused to let some of theirs go early esp last year unless it was a like for like replacement , playing hard ball...
Tariq wants to go Sure but the Storm can pay in full whatever is owing on his current contract .
As for any future contract at 32 ...now where near 800k esp with the talent coming through
Granted re his form at club level, not always as high, but club football is a grind and injury has bothered him over the years. If he dose leave the club he should be wished all the best, Redv will need to put money on the table to keep a very talented young roster together, not easy with Mr Bennett and co. lurking.

denis preston

First Grade
its completely subjective, you may think it too much, however Billy Slater and Craig Bellamy have a different view, and are taking a hard look at him, Slater rates him very highly.
It still astounds me how people rate players but don't watch every game. Current SOO player tag is enough for most of the critics of Dragons letting him go. Sims was part of our forward capitulation the past 2 seasons and instead of showing out like a beacon in a beaten side , he just blended in. Same as Dugan years back and why Sharks offered him 750-800k a year made he laugh.

Hard Yards

Juniors
It still astounds me how people rate players but don't watch every game. Current SOO player tag is enough for most of the critics of Dragons letting him go. Sims was part of our forward capitulation the past 2 seasons and instead of showing out like a beacon in a beaten side , he just blended in. Same as Dugan years back and why Sharks offered him 750-800k a year made he laugh.
as said it is totally subjective, based on deliberate, chosen criteria, Slater and Bellamy are also being totally subjective, hope they do watch more than a couple of games before offering him a contract.

mickeylane

Bench
Seems safe to me from today’s comments below
"I just want to play good footy and try and get the best contract I can get and just do my part for the team.

"I love all the boys, I love the coaching staff, but hopefully in the next few weeks we can come to a decision."

BLM01

First Grade
Lets face it, Sims was only picked as the Steven Bradbury selection.
However he did step up and put in for the time he was on in Game 1 anyway.
Game 2 he did OK, was not that much a standout. Game 3 cant remember we lost
And last year the commentators would not let us forget Benji is a NZ international and how good that flick pass was in 2005. It was watching it live

Last edited: