What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

SEAT 1A

Bench
Love what both parties are doing.

By withdrawing Birds offer, can the club negotiate out in the market? If Bird thinks he can get more money with another club, good for him.

He did have a good game last night but Ford and Gosiewski given the cap space wasn't to far behind.

Also, the club didn't keep Tyson Frizell and I'd put Tyson before Bird.

mickeylane

Bench
Sua is a gun player !
If we've offered $650K for Bird then I am pissed off. He is not worth that sort of money and in my opinion is not an elite player in any position. He is only a serviceable first grader and has injury and health issues which mean the club may be left carrying an expensive player on the sideline.

I may be wrong but Kikau was something like $800K and Niukore was $650K, these would have been much better options for secondrow. I think we got Sua for $600K, why would you pay Bird $650K with his history to play secondrow, a position where he is pretty green in first grade and so far has not demonstrated the defence or the hard carries you expect from a second rower.

Dragon David

First Grade
Before I cast any judgement on Jack Bird, I would like to see how he goes in the Charity Shield on Saturday night. He didn't play in the previous trial against the Eels so this next match against Souths will be interesting.
Jack was the first to give away a penalty last night and I thought, there he goes - pulling the man down after he was tackled. Why? He then helped later by scoring a try and was in my opinion playing quite good. He is the sort of player that likes to niggle the opposition and get in their faces. He doesn't take a backward step and plays as hard as anyone else.

I think that we should re-sign him at a rate equivalent to Sua - $600K and no more. If he accepts, good. If not, then his manager will continue to seek other offers.

We basically were the only club prepared to give him a two year deal and give him a go as there was uncertainty about whether or not his knees would hold up which they did last year.

I can't see that any other club is prepared to take the gamble and sign him up for more than $600K so he might accept a further offer from the Dragons (say $550K), if the Dragons still want him and I would accept this.

possm

Coach
I believe Bird played well today. I also believe our club would like to re-sign Bird but at the right price. There is still some risk associated with him and this does need to be gactored into the price.

I'm sure that if there was a clause in a contract put to Bird at say 600-650, relating to non-payment for time off due to injury, Bird would not sign such a deal.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Jack was the first to give away a penalty last night and I thought, there he goes - pulling the man down after he was tackled. Why? He then helped later by scoring a try and was in my opinion playing quite good. He is the sort of player that likes to niggle the opposition and get in their faces. He doesn't take a backward step and plays as hard as anyone else.

I think that we should re-sign him at a rate equivalent to Sua - $600K and no more. If he accepts, good. If not, then his manager will continue to seek other offers.

We basically were the only club prepared to give him a two year deal and give him a go as there was uncertainty about whether or not his knees would hold up which they did last year.

I can't see that any other club is prepared to take the gamble and sign him up for more than $600K so he might accept a further offer from the Dragons (say $550K), if the Dragons still want him and I would accept this.
It’s a tricky one, personally I’d like to see him resigned he’s a local product after all. We have McGuire, Burns, Faamausili, Alvaro & Sims all off the books at the end of the year so there must be some money stashed somewhere for Bird if he stays in the backrow.

BLM01

First Grade
I believe Bird played well today. I also believe our club would like to re-sign Bird but at the right price. There is still some risk associated with him and this does need to be gactored into the price.

I'm sure that if there was a clause in a contract put to Bird at say 600-650, relating to non-payment for time off due to injury, Bird would not sign such a deal.
Part timers playing rugby league at the highest level was phased out recently
Not only would Bird not sign it, nor would any other player
In fact the RLPA and media and lawyers would have a field day with such a clause

Gareth67

First Grade
Love what both parties are doing.

By withdrawing Birds offer, can the club negotiate out in the market? If Bird thinks he can get more money with another club, good for him.

He did have a good game last night but Ford and Gosiewski given the cap space wasn't to far behind.

Also, the club didn't keep Tyson Frizell and I'd put Tyson before Bird.

Agree 100% , more so with Griffin as coach .I can only imagine how much better Tyson would had played under him .

possm

Coach
In fact the RLPA and media and lawyers would have a field day with such a clause
The point I was making is that a deal could only be struck when both sides accepted the risks associated with Bird's contract extension. Bird insisting on top dollar is a reflection on the Bronco's contract, not his current worth.

denis preston

First Grade
Isn't Burgess on a base rate with extras for every NRL game played ? It goes back to the win/ loss payments in the 60's & 70's !

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Today’s Phil Rothfield Telegragh story said the Dragons offered Bird $500k. On last year‘s form in a beaten side I think other clubs would sign him for a least that. Without knowing the salary cap space I would offer him $600K.

dungay dragon

Juniors
If Bird wants to test the market for more money so be it.
He should remember that the longer he leaves it, we may sign other players which could soak up cap space.
$500000 is top dollar for me.
Smart move by the Club..Get it out there that we are looking at possible replacement for Bird , and drop the Players name..
Gets everyone on edge and gets the Bird Camp a touch apprehensive .
Thinking Bird will want to be part of what appears to be some exciting seasons ahead , particularly now we have a very strong forward pack .
Would expect a decision in the coming week

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
It's the two acl recons that make it such a challenge for us or any club to go beyond 500k pa for no more than two years

The likelihood of doing a 3rd ACL is statistically very high and believe it or not predominantly at training match sim is when most athletes do their second or third

From memory bird did his second acl rupture just at training

The opportunity cost above 500k vs other talent is too high me thinks

Wouldn't another club have jumped if they thought the risk was worth the price?

As Hook pointed out in a recent interview, Jack has been on the market since 1/11.

That is approximately 4 months.

Had another club been interested they have had time to snap him up.

The money offered is fair, given his known health issues and injuries.

Would love to keep Bird and get Nikora.

Hook is proving to be an astute manager of the salary cap.

Twenty10

Juniors
I think Sims is The one who will be gone, or accept his true value. He leaves we sign another younger star. Makes more sense. I do know for s fact that Our #1 priority is a hooker. So perhaps no like for like replacement for SIms.

Dragons154

Juniors
Loving what the club is doing!

500k should be the ceiling for bird atm. Sure he was solid for us last season. But that was also his first full season since when? 17-18?

playing overs for an injury prone player just because he is a junior would be a stupid mistake.

Latest posts