What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamal Idris

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He is going to be a sensation, but at the moment he's had a few moments this year where he looked either really immature or easily frustratable.

Care to provide some examples? I've found him to have nothing but a calm head tbh.

TimmyB

Juniors
At risk of sending this off topic - apologies - it's been a very good year for rookies this season after a bit of a worrying drought last year.

Idris, Mortimer, Locke, Dugan, Croker (big fan) and Foran all look like very good players.

aqua_duck

Coach
Not true.. Quote from last weeks big league page 42. "To qualify as a rookie, a player must have participated in no more than three NRL matches as a starting player or substitute in the previous season". They also list all the nominees for rookie of the year and Idris is the number 1 nominee, and subsquently is on the cover of this issue.
Is the big league award the same as the Dally M's?
I remember in 2000 Timana Tahu tore up the NRL and was scoring close to a try a game but Tasesa lavea won the award because timana had started a game in 1999

Kiki

First Grade
i don't think he gets frustrated easily at all. remember the no try against the Dragons, he handled that so well. gracious and mature.

i am really enamoured with him for some reason, i just adore him! heart Jamal.

Big Pete

Referee
They changed rookie eligibility back in 2008, originally you could qualify as long as you didn't start but this changed around 07/08 when they made it you couldn't appear in more than 3 NRL games, starting or off the bench.

I'm unsure if these rules apply for Big League magazine exclusively or the Dally M's as well though.

typicalfan

Coach
i don't think he gets frustrated easily at all. remember the no try against the Dragons, he handled that so well. gracious and mature.

i am really enamoured with him for some reason, i just adore him! heart Jamal.
Yep and I remember that night he completely dominated against Matt Cooper which is possibly the hardest thing a young guy like him could do. Huge talent I can't wait to see him don that sky blue in a season or two.

Southernsaint

Staff member
He seems to be more power-based than skills/finesse based - that's good when you're young but defenders will figure him out sooner rather than later...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yep and I remember that night he completely dominated against Matt Cooper which is possibly the hardest thing a young guy like him could do. Huge talent I can't wait to see him don that sky blue in a season or two.
Although Matt Cooper decided it was a tops idea to take him out when he was 4ft off the ground. I've seen less sent off this year :x

RedVfaithful

Juniors
0,5001,6591297,00.jpg

if he lost weight and put on some muscle he would be better

sass

Juniors
He seems to be more power-based than skills/finesse based - that's good when you're young but defenders will figure him out sooner rather than later...

he'll learn tho! he's already a javelin and athletics champion so he's definitely adaptable. just takes a bit of time.

sass

Juniors
na they don't pick black fella's in good form:x

well he's only half koori. maybe he'll get one origin game.

the idea of nsw selectors being pro-pacific islanders but discriminating against aboriginals is so bizarre.

caylo

Bench
I cant agree with Idris being better then Josh Morris. At least not yet. Perhaps Idris could knock Jennings out of the Origin side mainly due to his size. Id be happy for both players as the centers for Origin in the future. But I question whether Idris will be ready next year. I dont even think Josh Morris was ready this year.

It will be Idris and Jennings, but I wish they would play Cooper on Inglus because ATM GI tears NSW a new one every time he touches it. I would have the Morris boys on the wing and Hayne at fullback. Kidley would not get a spot in my team, Wing is better off the bench, Hayne is a better fullback and Barrett/Kimmorley are a better set fo halves.

caylo

Bench
black fella meaning murri/koori
jennings is tongan

I'm assuming you mean aboriginals...I think that is a load of cr*p mad up by Mundine because of the players ahead of him. He expected to get picked over guys like Dailey, Fittler and Barrett remembering they also had guys like Johns, Kimmorley and Gower who could play halfback/hooker.

Mundine played off the bench which had nothing to do with his background and Merritt, while a good player, has much bigger and faster men ahead of him which I have no problem with TBH. The only shamble was that blacklock never played but realistically with guys like Mad dog and Tahu on the wing who would he has displaced?

GB!

Juniors
lol
i don't buy into it too much myself.

tahu is a black fella, as is bird. and they have played for NSW. daley too
same as nagas, but he a Qlder anyways!

blacklock was rorted though, as was presto. but they always argued he was too small.
merritt also should have an origin under his belt IMO
if any of the guys i mentioned were Qlders, they'd all have played at least one origin by now.
Qld is half full with black fella's, look how it works for them!

maybe NSW should pick soward if his form continues next year?