What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
the loss of DUGAN is actually exactly what we need.as far as .Packer is a little bit harder to replace ,but the fact is The Tigers paid way too much and Millard was wise in not going down that road.i say well done if we get the big pommie from the bullgrubs

I imagine it's no surprise when I say that disagree that Dugan's absence won't be felt. He is only one out of a few who actually looks as though he takes pride in his performance.

Packer's departure will only be placated if the club attracts a like-for-like replacement, and despite a few gossip sites stating Saints is close to signing James Graham, it still has not done so.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Saint JimmyG.

Do you think that Milward should have matched Wests offer of 800K a season for 4 seasons for Packer? I certainly don't. I much prefer the idea of Graham at 500K a season then Packer for 800K. I would take Graham straight out over Packer.

As for Dugan. I am very happy that he did not take the 750K a year for 4 years that we offered him. Dugan is injury prone. We have some very good young backs coming through, who I believe will be better than Dugan in 2 years time. 750K a season for an injury prone centre is way too much in my opinion. Do you think that Milward should have given Dugan the million dollar a season contract that he was asking for? lol

I believe your 2 examples that Milward is doing a lousy job are actually examples of Milward doing a good job.

I think Milward is doing a fine job. I have been very critical of our recruitment in the past, but I am not critical of Milward at all.

Refer to my post elsewhere which addresses (in part) the issues you have mentioned.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dugan and Packer are not worth the price they are now being paid by other clubs. Millward is also the one who smartly identified the fullback position as one we don't need to panic and hit the market for.

I applaud Millward for not allowing us to be held ransom by players actually. Showed that maybe we can have some backbone as a club in the market.

"Held ransom by some players", don't you think you're being a little dramatic there? It's not as though any individual held a gun to Millward's head!

Given at here is no ready made replacement for Packer, and there is still a LONG road for Dufty, I don't see how anyone can maintain that Millward has performed adequately in his role.

And, as for players being paid whatever by clubs, that is purely predicated by circumstances and needs. For example, Saints have needed a genuine halfback since Matt Head, and (allegedly) coughed up "overs" to secure his services.

The point here is all relative.

Crush

Coach
I imagine it's no surprise when I say that disagree that Dugan's absence won't be felt. He is only one out of a few who actually looks as though he takes pride in his performance.

Packer's departure will only be placated if the club attracts a like-for-like replacement, and despite a few gossip sites stating Saints is close to signing James Graham, it still has not done so.
Dugan is injury prone. His absence is felt every 3rd week when he is unavailable because of injuries.
His form of late has been poor too. He is rocks and diamonds. He does something amazing one play then the very next butchers a try.
I for one am glad that he is moving on. Its too emotional following the Duges, love him one minute hate him the next.
I predict he will last about 1 and a half seasons before the sharks move him on to ESL.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dugan is injury prone. His absence is felt every 3rd week when he is unavailable because of injuries.
His form of late has been poor too. He is rocks and diamonds. He does something amazing one play then the very next butchers a try.
I for one am glad that he is moving on. Its too emotional following the Duges, love him one minute hate him the next.
I predict he will last about 1 and a half seasons before the sharks move him on to ESL.

Jeremy Smith was also considered too injury prone in his two-years at SGI, and many wanted him gone; when he departed at the end of 2010, his loss couldn't have been greater.

Dugan's form lately has been poor? Granted he was shithouse against Brisbane, however, that was a single game, and generally his form has been sound. In fact, there have been Agee matches this season where if Dugan had not played, some losses would've been far greater.

I only hope Dufty turns out to be a long term prospect because there are Adam Quinlan type traits that will earn the ire of frustrated supporters, especially if the club continues to spiral downwards.

Crush

Coach
Jeremy Smith was also considered too injury prone in his two-years at SGI, and many wanted him gone; when he departed at the end of 2010, his loss couldn't have been greater.

Dugan's form lately has been poor? Granted he was shithouse against Brisbane, however, that was a single game, and generally his form has been sound. In fact, there have been Agee matches this season where if Dugan had not played, some losses would've been far greater.

I only hope Dufty turns out to be a long term prospect because there are Adam Quinlan type traits that will earn the ire of frustrated supporters, especially if the club continues to spiral downwards.
Its the little things dugan doesn't do. Like draw the man and pass when there is an overlap which kills me. He tries to do it all himself sometimes without looking to his winger or support.
As I said, he will beat 4 blokes and score a ripper then the very next scoring opportunity drop the ball over the line or try to go himself with an unmarked man outside him, I reckon he has blown about 5 tries in the past couple of months.
On Dufty, I have always drawn the comparison between Quinlan myself and was against bringing him in this season but must admit I was wrong. So far he has looked very good without looking amazing. His speed is a real asset and something that the dragons desperately need.

I don't think its as bad as you make out there Sir. This year hasn't been a waste of a season. I think we have shown that our forward pack is one of the best in the NRL.
We have seen a massive improvement on last year in every aspect. Most players have really lifted since last year. JDB, Widdop, Lafai have all improved out of site on last years form.
2017 has been a frustrating season. There are no excuses for losing to knights, rabbits, titans etc.
But overall 2017 has been a big step in the right direction. Our recruitment has been solid and if we add Graham that will be amazing.
2018 with Hunt at halfback there are no excuses for the coach. If he cannot get the team playing great footy then his time is up.
Not the best roster next year but in the top 6 best rosters IMO.
Roosters look very good on paper next year......
I agree with all that you say except when you look at the correlation between the massive improvements on last year and our actual results.
3rd best attack, 6th best defense statistically and yet we are outside the eight and struggling.
The only conclusion I can come to is that we are not being coached properly.
Can you provide another reason why we are not firmly entrenched in the 8?
Specifically we are being out coached on game day in particular.
That's why we get done so often in games that we dominate statistically.
At 5/15 over the last 3 months, the obvious statistical improvements are pretty shallow and give me no confidence for the future.
I can't see how the last 3 months are a "step in the right direction".
We have been going backwards and fast.
My view is that the roster we have + new recruits + Hunt should be coached by a quality coach.
Who that may be is a subjective discussion but McGregor doesn't deserve any more leeway.
2 and a half years of very ordinary coaching, is enough and the fans like you and me deserve better.
He has shown nothing and giving him a sparkling and improved roster in 2018 is just a waste on an opportunity.
Let's get serious about challenging for a premiership.
McGregor is not the answer.

Crush

Coach
I agree with all that you say except when you look at the correlation between the massive improvements on last year and our actual results.
3rd best attack, 6th best defense statistically and yet we are outside the eight and struggling.
At 5/15 over the last 3 months, the obvious statistical improvements are pretty shallow and give me no confidence for the future.
My view is that the roster we have + new recruits + Hunt should be coached by a quality coach.
Who that may be is a subjective discussion but McGregor doesn't deserve any more leeway.
2 and a half years of very ordinary coaching, is enough and the fans like you and me deserve better.
He has shown nothing and giving him a sparkling and improved roster in 2018 is just a waste on an opportunity.
Yep I can see your position. Its a frustrating position to be in too because he isn't going anywhere for a little while at least.

to_ddeath

Coach

Agreed 110% but it's actually over 3 years now since he took over the job.
3 years and 3 months roughly from memory.
Hate to get technical, but we need all the bare facts of this never-ending farce....

T.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Its the little things dugan doesn't do. Like draw the man and pass when there is an overlap which kills me. He tries to do it all himself sometimes without looking to his winger or support.
As I said, he will beat 4 blokes and score a ripper then the very next scoring opportunity drop the ball over the line or try to go himself with an unmarked man outside him, I reckon he has blown about 5 tries in the past couple of months.
On Dufty, I have always drawn the comparison between Quinlan myself and was against bringing him in this season but must admit I was wrong. So far he has looked very good without looking amazing. His speed is a real asset and something that the dragons desperately need.

Dugan seemed to do ok in drawing the man, and pass, when Nightingale scored one of his tries against the Gold Coast.

Crush

Coach
Dugan seemed to do ok in drawing the man, and pass, when Nightingale scored one of his tries against the Gold Coast.
There are plenty of good things that dugan does but there are quite a few bad things to counter that. That is my point. The really good players are consistant.
He was good for us in the darker days. Now its time for him to move on. Who knows, maybe Flanno will get him playing more consistent footy.
I for one am happy to see him leave and don't think he is as good as he himself believes he is.

There are plenty of good things that dugan does but there are quite a few bad things to counter that. That is my point. The really good players are consistant.
He was good for us in the darker days. Now its time for him to move on. Who knows, maybe Flanno will get him playing more consistent footy.
I for one am happy to see him leave and don't think he is as good as he himself believes he is.

He certainly wasn't worth the money he was after, neither was Packer.

Carlton

Juniors

Dugan hasn't been playing well the last couple of games, looks like he is frustrated and trying too hard. Over the years though he has easily been our best player in many many games he has carried the team even though players around him have seemed disinterested.

Instead of pounding Dugan and his perceived shortcomings (he wont be with us next year) why not talk about the two real problems the team has had for years now. The first is the coach and the second is the on field leader.

Dennis Papaioannou points out how the statistics show we should be in the top four and raises the issue of coaching. My firm belief is, the reason we have great statistics and do not turn them into wins is we do not have a game manager as the on field leader. This is why we can win big when the game is going our way but as soon as it gets tight we don't know what to do.

Dugan hasn't been playing well the last couple of games, looks like he is frustrated and trying too hard. Over the years though he has easily been our best player in many many games he has carried the team even though players around him have seemed disinterested.

Instead of pounding Dugan and his perceived shortcomings (he wont be with us next year) why not talk about the two real problems the team has had for years now. The first is the coach and the second is the on field leader.

Dennis Papaioannou points out how the statistics show we should be in the top four and raises the issue of coaching. My firm belief is, the reason we have great statistics and do not turn them into wins is we do not have a game manager as the on field leader. This is why we can win big when the game is going our way but as soon as it gets tight we don't know what to do.
Well said
Widdop is not a leader and finds it difficult to close games out.
Not someone you would walk over broken glass for...

grouch

First Grade
It's all in the interest of appointing blame anywhere but on McGregor. Crush is even trying to convince us that this season has been successful! Lost cause

hazzbeen

Bench
It's all in the interest of appointing blame anywhere but on McGregor. Crush is even trying to convince us that this season has been successful! Lost cause
The season has been not much better than previous coached sides of Mary's , the difference being this year he has a better roster . If we loose on the weekend the season has been really a disaster especially after leading the comp . So for me the coach has been a let down , a better coach with our roster IMO should have been well cemented in the 8 ....

The team needs a couple of larger than life battle hardened personalities to lead the team.

Born winners.

Guys like that have winning records and have played in great teams under top coaches.

Hunt plays for Brisbane and has played under Bennett. He is at the top of his game.

Graham would have been ideal if he was physically at his best. If we do sign him am hoping his performances this year are due to the toxic Bulldogs atmosphere and not his physical health.

The club needs to conduct a thorough examination of his medical records before making a decision to offer a contract. He is a smart footballer, and if he came cheap and was not a crock, it would represent a great signing.

Widdop came from the Melbourne system, where 3 tremendous players carry the team each week under a very good coach.

Widdop will benefit from Hunt's arrival and the emergence of Dufty over the next 10-15 FG games.

We have the makings of a top pack of forwards. Debelin/Frizz/Thommo are developing in to leaders.

The team needs 1 top class hard as nails super competitive Pommy front rower.

Suggest Millward look carefully through the ESL for Packer's replacement before signing Graham.

Better to sign a Graham clone at the peak of his powers than Graham at the end of an illustrious career.

grouch

First Grade
I don't think its as bad as you make out there Sir. This year hasn't been a waste of a season. I think we have shown that our forward pack is one of the best in the NRL.
We have seen a massive improvement on last year in every aspect. Most players have really lifted since last year. JDB, Widdop, Lafai have all improved out of site on last years form.
2017 has been a frustrating season. There are no excuses for losing to knights, rabbits, titans etc.
But overall 2017 has been a big step in the right direction. Our recruitment has been solid and if we add Graham that will be amazing.
2018 with Hunt at halfback there are no excuses for the coach. If he cannot get the team playing great footy then his time is up.
Not the best roster next year but in the top 6 best rosters IMO.
Roosters look very good on paper next year......
Plus don't forget all those players we had crippled by the flu! Truly a tremendous season, one of the finest in our history. Tremendous

Latest posts