What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Roberts

Roberts is the X factor we need

Worth having a serious dig.

See us as outsiders behind Broncos, but if we could get Roberts coupled with recent increase in forward strength and depth we would suddenly move from bottom of the 8 to possible top 4.

mickeylane

Bench
With Hiku signed to Panthers I would offer Roberts the FB position anf $500k a season.. He's that good! He guarantees us 15 tries a season plus u add the Dugan, Marshall, Widdop, Nightingale factor and we have a very potent backline.

Saints have to be aggressive -- I don't like these 2 year deals being offered to players - where have the 3 year deals gone .. We missed out on Hiku because Penrith offered an extra year.. Seriously who is negotiating for our club.. Players are seeking security not 2 year contracts!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints would not offer BMoz 650k why would they offer Roberts 650k? Can't see that happening but that is what it will take to get him that is for sure. Bruce Gordon come on down........

With the 3 years it will be a gamble because of his past but worth the gamble just like they took with Dugan. He will fit in well at the Saints. The type of culture he needs and he wants to play fullback which frees up Dugan.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I will be very interested to see if we can sign either Roberts or Lafai. If we miss out on all these players I would have to say our recruitment department has gone back to the bad old days of Craig Young etc etc. and this will highlight the significance of Mullholand leaving.

V

Vasilevsky

I will be very interested to see if we can sign either Roberts or Lafai. If we miss out on all these players I would have to say our recruitment department has gone back to the bad old days of Craig Young etc etc. and this will highlight the significance of Mullholand leaving.

Hiku would have been good and Roberts would be a sensation signing but no paying overs for him. The club is on the right track now. Juniors are again being brought into the system and other young players are being recruited. Who is to say the guy from the Roosters (Milne?) or another young player coming through won't be better than Roberts? Roberts is 23 and hasn't even cracked the Origin team yet. If Tedesco is fullback next year Dugan and Ferguson will likely be the centres.

I guess Roberts may get a go on the wing ahead of Hopoate and a turncoat rat but it remains to be seen.

BennyV

Referee
Saints would not offer BMoz 650k why would they offer Roberts 650k? Can't see that happening but that is what it will take to get him that is for sure. Bruce Gordon come on down........

With the 3 years it will be a gamble because of his past but worth the gamble just like they took with Dugan. He will fit in well at the Saints. The type of culture he needs and he wants to play fullback which frees up Dugan.

We'd be offering him fullback money to play fullback. In addition, the salary cap is going up in coming years, we have a number of highly paid players coming up to end of contract (specifically Rein, Thompson and Marshall in 2016 and Dugan and Widdop in 2017) and our cap is a lot more sound than it was last year.

More to the point, perhaps we have realised and learnt from our mistakes with BMoz. If that's what Roberts is worth, he is worth it to us.

BennyV

Referee
Hiku would have been good and Roberts would be a sensation signing but no paying overs for him. The club is on the right track now. Juniors are again being brought into the system and other young players are being recruited. Who is to say the guy from the Roosters (Milne?) or another young player coming through won't be better than Roberts? Roberts is 23 and hasn't even cracked the Origin team yet. If Tedesco is fullback next year Dugan and Ferguson will likely be the centres.

I guess Roberts may get a go on the wing ahead of Hopoate and a turncoat rat but it remains to be seen.

I dont think we would look at paying overs, because the guy is worth that. If your criteria for players is that they must play origin by age 23, you're going to struggle. Roberts has been in and out of first grade for years based on disciplinary reasons, something that is rarely as issue within our club. He also ust played his first full season in the NRL and rocketed to being the best centre in the comp in one of the worst teams. And he'd be gunning for fullback - what's to say he wont jump Tedesco, Moylan and so on in the fullback pecking order? He definitely has the potential to do so.

As for Milne - there's nothing to say he wont end up better, but gambling on that is the same as gambling on Kyle Stanley, Cameron King and so on. Roberts is better now, and would bring our team from fringe Top 8 to Top 4.

possm

Coach
I'd say there is a good chance Roberts will sign with the Dragons. I say this for the following reasons:

• His partner is very keen on a return to Sydney
  • Roberts wants to play fullback
  • Souths - his other option, let go Walker to fit in Burgess so cap space a problem
  • The Titans were a bottom dweller and the Dragons are on the rise so this would be an improvement on where he was.

Cruisin_Dugan

Juniors
I'd say there is a good chance Roberts will sign with the Dragons. I say this for the following reasons:

• His partner is very keen on a return to Sydney
  • Roberts wants to play fullback
  • Souths - his other option, let go Walker to fit in Burgess so cap space a problem
  • The Titans were a bottom dweller and the Dragons are on the rise so this would be an improvement on where he was.

Agree .. Hopefully someone's in his ear with these comments! With the cap ever increasing and judging on his ability and potential locking him up for 3 years at $500-600k would be a bargain come year 2/3 of the contract.

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree .. Hopefully someone's in his ear with these comments! With the cap ever increasing and judging on his ability and potential locking him up for 3 years at $500-600k would be a bargain come year 2/3 of the contract.

I think Mundine will be an influence on him and I hope Anthony still has the Dragons close to his heart....

possm

Coach
I think Mundine will be an influence on him and I hope Anthony still has the Dragons close to his heart....

Wouldn't it be great to know where Mundine stands? He took Ferguson to the Roosters and has spent a great deal of time with the Rabbits in recent years.

I think the Dragons are a natural fit for Roberts at fullback and maybe this will be the thing that sways him our way.

V

Vasilevsky

Wouldn't it be great to know where Mundine stands? He took Ferguson to the Roosters and has spent a great deal of time with the Rabbits in recent years.

I think the Dragons are a natural fit for Roberts at fullback and maybe this will be the thing that sways him our way.

What makes you think he is a better ball player than Dugan?

BennyV

Referee
What makes you think he is a better ball player than Dugan?

Im assuming he has watched him play...

Roberts is more in the Tedesco mould - pure speed with great awareness, ability to ball play and all round footy instincts. As opposed to Dugan (power runner, among other attributes as a FB) and Mann (more Moylan style, half squeezed into a fullback).

Last edited:

the_saints

Juniors
And where do the broncos fit in all of this ..? Me personally I don't believe they have the cap space for that kind of a player dragons on the other hand do with Farrell retiring due to back injury .. For those saying paying overs for a player like Roberts is ridiculous to say the least if you want the best you best be prepared to pay the price .. Let's be honest who's going to be whinging about player salaries when we are playing finals footy ?

Old Timer

Coach
Because anybody is.
Duges is a devastating runner but couldn't pass the salt at the dinner table.

100% correct and he actually butchered a few tries last year by hogging the ball

Duges is the enforcer of the backline and most times would rather try to get the better of you 1 on 1 and looses sight of better options like passing.

He is most dynamic as a hole runner near the line and they tend not to pass it too much.

the_saints

Juniors
Who do you have in mind josh mcrone? Lol listen before you comment think about what your going to say first ... Who in your right mind has been a bigger signing since Wayne Bennett ?

Can't wait for this one.

Latest posts