What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Roberts

saints4ever

First Grade
Nearly everything.

Straight Shooter

Which is as ridiculous an answer as I had expected.

You are quite quick to dismiss mostly everything the club tries to do yet offer no alternative as to how you would make the club or individual choices better.

Straight Shooter

Juniors
Sorry mate, but therein lies the problem. Mediocrity is the benchmark (I too hate sounding like a broken record). But it's ok because we fell into the 8 and because we are having discussions with Roberts and Bird and Hiku. Or Cronk a couple of years back. You may be satisfied with such improvement but I personally don't find it ok.

Straight Shooter

Because we fell into the 8 and our depth signings of Lafai Packer Mann plus our harold matt signings of Masoe Havlivi Milne etc we are doomed for 2016. Why couldnt we sign all the guns and kept our juniors and blah blah if we fail i can say i told you so.

Because we fell into the 8 and our depth signings of Lafai Packer Mann plus our harold matt signings of Masoe Havlivi Milne etc we are doomed for 2016. Why couldnt we sign all the guns and kept our juniors and blah blah if we fail i can say i told you so.

Why couldn't we sign all the guns? How about we couldn't sign one!

But Broncs, Roosters, Rabbits, Dogs and even Warriors can.

2016 is not doomed but it's not promising either (premiership wise). Sure the above signings may be considered an improvement but they don't amount to a genuine premiership threat.

But you continue to celebrate mediocrity if it makes you feel good.

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

dragondad

First Grade
I think that's his point Tru. He was responding to a post that was along the lines of 'If he doesn't want to be here stuff him.' He was saying same applied to Duges, and as somone else said Benji, and so on as you say.

Thank you. 100% correct. That is what I was saying. He was after a Brisbane contract but ended up with us and is very happy with the outcome.

Juniors
Why couldn't we sign all the guns? How about we couldn't sign one!

But Broncs, Roosters, Rabbits, Dogs and even Warriors can.

2016 is not doomed but it's not promising either (premiership wise). Sure the above signings may be considered an improvement but they don't amount to a genuine premiership threat.

But you continue to celebrate mediocrity if it makes you feel good.

Straight Shooter

Who have the broncs signed? souths signed surgess but off loaded stewart, luke, walker, mqueen, lowe. roosters signed nikorima. warriors have signed well but have done in the past and still not won a comp. Yes they maybe a premiership threat apart from souths.
We made the 8 on solid defence. Gave the semi a shake. It appeared the forward pack were fatigued from defending boppers.
we now have signed more talent and in your words depth with size to boot. This would surely make 2016 promising?

V

Vasilevsky

Who have the broncs signed? souths signed surgess but off loaded stewart, luke, walker, mqueen, lowe. roosters signed nikorima. warriors have signed well but have done in the past and still not won a comp. Yes they maybe a premiership threat apart from souths.
We made the 8 on solid defence. Gave the semi a shake. It appeared the forward pack were fatigued from defending boppers.
we now have signed more talent and in your words depth with size to boot. This would surely make 2016 promising?

Broncos lost Nikorima.... I guess that has freed up salary cap space for Roberts and Teo along with upgrades for players like McGuire, Hunt and others. Not to forget they already poached marquee players from Canberra and Newcastle.

the_saints

Juniors
Broncos lost Nikorima.... I guess that has freed up salary cap space for Roberts and Teo along with upgrades for players like McGuire, Hunt and others. Not to forget they already poached marquee players from Canberra and Newcastle.

I hope your joking ?

V

Vasilevsky

I hope your joking ?

Why would I be joking? Since when doesn't a young player who may or may not ever make it in first grade not be worth as much as several established stars? At least if we are talking about the Bullgrubs or Broncos.

BennyV

Referee

Also lost Hodges. You may have heard of him. In saying that, the loss of Hodges would have only covered contract upgrades.

More to the point...when were these announced?

Lethal25

Juniors
Why would I be joking? Since when doesn't a young player who may or may not ever make it in first grade not be worth as much as several established stars? At least if we are talking about the Bullgrubs or Broncos.

I agree with your point Vas.

It's not every signing that goes down like this but there are numerous examples where clubs like Dogs or Roosters lose fringe first graders and sign top level players.

Saints lost Morris and signed Nabuli???? Reverse of the richer clubs

Again it doesn't always work that way but it would be nice to be on the other side.

the_saints

Juniors

I can't see how a fringe first grader can cover cap space for the likes of Ben teo who was demanding 500k a season at the rabbits and wants even more at the Broncos let alone 5 other key players at that club it's pretty clear they don't have cap space to sign Roberts but they are doing what they can to make it happen without having to shed palyers but I can tell you Roberts won't go of they don't .. He propby ok with being a +1 at the Broncos but won't play 3rd wheel .

V

Vasilevsky

Also lost Hodges. You may have heard of him. In saying that, the loss of Hodges would have only covered contract upgrades.

More to the point...when were these announced?

In was both a sarcastic and hypothetical comment.

Old Timer

Coach
I agree with your point Vas.

It's not every signing that goes down like this but there are numerous examples where clubs like Dogs or Roosters lose fringe first graders and sign top level players.

Saints lost Morris and signed Nabuli???? Reverse of the richer clubs

Again it doesn't always work that way but it would be nice to be on the other side.

We got Nabuli because we listened to idiots like Fittler and Johns

WHOOSHKAA!!

Juniors
And Marshall wanted to be at Sharks

We always seem to be getting scraps but this is different - I honestly think that Roberts wants to win an origin Jersey plus win a comp over the next 2 years..

The Broncos are realisticLly in his eyes his best chance
Rabbitohs are imploding and Dragons are slowly getting up there but most likely in his eyes doesn't think we can win a comp in the 2 years..

So it will come down to a combination of
- Roberts to accept no more than $50k less than best offer to go to Broncos as it's worth the sacrifice to win Comp and be in a top 4 team coached by Bennett

- but he will find it impossible to knock bAck an offer that's $100k a season better than Broncos deal.. Hence why I think Dragons should have offered him $2m over 3 years..
Year 1 - $550k
Year 2 - $650k
Year 3 - $800k (New salAry cap)

Hence why Dragons have extended the term of the deal to increase the cash component

According to the Mole its all over dragons
Officially out of the race to sign Roberts if in FACT we were even in the race at all.....
Mickeylane what happened to your 2 leading player agent scoop..

More wishful thinking i presume

nrlnrl

First Grade
And Marshall wanted to be at Sharks

We always seem to be getting scraps but this is different - I honestly think that Roberts wants to win an origin Jersey plus win a comp over the next 2 years..

The Broncos are realisticLly in his eyes his best chance
Rabbitohs are imploding and Dragons are slowly getting up there but most likely in his eyes doesn't think we can win a comp in the 2 years..

So it will come down to a combination of
- Roberts to accept no more than $50k less than best offer to go to Broncos as it's worth the sacrifice to win Comp and be in a top 4 team coached by Bennett

- but he will find it impossible to knock bAck an offer that's $100k a season better than Broncos deal.. Hence why I think Dragons should have offered him $2m over 3 years..
Year 1 - $550k
Year 2 - $650k
Year 3 - $800k (New salAry cap)

Hence why Dragons have extended the term of the deal to increase the cash component

Most seem to think Broncos are a certainty, with the Rabbitohs & Dragons only slim chances. Is there a surprise 4th team ?

northernsaint

Juniors
Obviously Roberts is a GUN that is shorley wanted to complete our backs. Speed to burn, game breaker & would draw the defense of Widup, Marshall etc, just what is needed. All most getting back to the Gas/Cooper center putting uncertainty.
Question; Why wasn`t there a time constraint on our seemingly considerable offer. Why let Bennett, his manager play with their own constraints with our offer sitting in reserve if broncos can`t sort out their shit. If our offer was to be withdrawn at (say) mid-day Saturday & if not possitiff to Dragons, they may panic at a nill bronco result & commit. Who is doing this negotiation? Sound very amateurish to me! Tie this bloke down, Please.