What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarrod Mullen picked as NSW halfback

Raider_69

Post Whore
perverse said:
lol appropriate because my opinion differs from your almighty word. get off your high horse.

No appropriate because you're on the gear!

perverse said:
mullen has played well for the knights in an extremely high pressure position. this, in my opinion, justifies his selection. you can think otherwise all you like, but making stupid "ice bomb" comments gets you nowhere - because the selectors went in my direction, not yours. mullens game against the warriors (i.e our game before the blues selection) was an exceptional game.

His form is over-rated by the media, he has been very up and down, he hasnt really taken control of the knights yet and thats his primary job as a half... since when have the selectors ever got it right, they have been picking what the media tells them for years and it will be that way for many more years, particually in NSW. I watched the warriors game and in particular Mullen, after being hyped for Origin, i didnt see him do anything that screamed "pick me", he played ok, probably abit better then solid, but it was hardly a comanding display, infact im yet to see a single commanding display from him, who knows maybe ill see my first in game 1. But imo his form did not warrent his selectioned, coupled with the fact he has 8 games to his name and not a huge game amongst them, it reaks of desperation.

perverse said:
how about dealing with the issue rather than attacking the person?

Why? When i can do both at once

perverse

Referee
Raider_69 said:
No appropriate because you're on the gear!

His form is over-rated by the media, he has been very up and down, he hasnt really taken control of the knights yet and thats his primary job as a half... since when have the selectors ever got it right, they have been picking what the media tells them for years and it will be that way for many more years, particually in NSW. I watched the warriors game and in particular Mullen, after being hyped for Origin, i didnt see him do anything that screamed "pick me", he played ok, probably abit better then solid, but it was hardly a comanding display, infact im yet to see a single commanding display from him, who knows maybe ill see my first in game 1. But imo his form did not warrent his selectioned, coupled with the fact he has 8 games to his name and not a huge game amongst them, it reaks of desperation.

Why? When i can do both at once
wow. i wonder if anyone takes you seriously around here. that first comment is just childish "NO YOU ARE!!! NO YOU ARE!!!!!" grow up kid.

your second paragraph is totally fair enough. compare the games of mullen to the other choices over the weekend and i think mullens commands a jersey far moreso than the other hopefuls. funny that you say here that his form didn't warrent selection yet in other threads you say that you'd have picked mullen and carney for the 1/2 and 5/8 roles? so which is it? pick him or not? make up your mind...

why? because you'll get a lot further putting together a solid arguement on the issue than blabbing unsubstantiated crap about other members of the forum. stop wasting my time.

Raider_69

Post Whore
perverse said:
wow. i wonder if anyone takes you seriously around here. that first comment is just childish "NO YOU ARE!!! NO YOU ARE!!!!!" grow up kid.

Of course no one takes me seriously, its a bloody internet forum, i doubt anyone here takes anyone seriously :lol: now pass the pipe, ol raidey feels like a hit!

perverse said:
your second paragraph is totally fair enough. compare the games of mullen to the other choices over the weekend and i think mullens commands a jersey far moreso than the other hopefuls. funny that you say here that his form didn't warrent selection yet in other threads you say that you'd have picked mullen and carney for the 1/2 and 5/8 roles? so which is it? pick him or not? make up your mind...

Id pick Mullen and Carney because they are the future, if people where saying "well they picked mullen so he can develop for the future" id be ok with that, instead they dribble on about his form and how good he has been, news flash, he hasn t been THAT good. My arguement is not the selection but the reasoning people are using for his selection... and for the record before the team was named i was saying Anasta and Kimmorley should be selected, and if they failed bring in Carney and Mullen, if you're going to take a punt on the future, why stop at Mullen? why not give him a bloke who compliments his game and age and future in the game

perverse said:
why? because you'll get a lot further putting together a solid arguement on the issue than blabbing unsubstantiated crap about other members of the forum. stop wasting my time.

I seem to be able to be getting a solid arguement/debate with the insults, im a firm believer in if its working, stick with it, its adds abit of razz to a debate i recon... now about that pipe?

perverse

Referee
Raider_69 said:
Of course no one takes me seriously, its a bloody internet forum, i doubt anyone here takes anyone seriously :lol: now pass the pipe, ol raidey feels like a hit!

Id pick Mullen and Carney because they are the future, if people where saying "well they picked mullen so he can develop for the future" id be ok with that, instead they dribble on about his form and how good he has been, news flash, he hasn t been THAT good. My arguement is not the selection but the reasoning people are using for his selection... and for the record before the team was named i was saying Anasta and Kimmorley should be selected, and if they failed bring in Carney and Mullen, if you're going to take a punt on the future, why stop at Mullen? why not give him a bloke who compliments his game and age and future in the game

I seem to be able to be getting a solid arguement/debate with the insults, im a firm believer in if its working, stick with it, its adds abit of razz to a debate i recon... now about that pipe?
lol you're a joke, but i agree with you that if they were going to blood mullen then they may as well go all in and throw carney next to him.

nice to see you fall back on the "its just an internet forum" copout. in my opinion mullen has done enough to be equal with the current halfbacks eligible for selection. add to that his potential over them and you have total justification of his selection. whether the media have been beating him up or not is totally irrelevant. i'm talking about what's happening on the field, not in the papers.

the only reason you've got any debate at all is because i've been foolish enough to continue this "discussion".

Raider_69

Post Whore
perverse said:
lol you're a joke, but i agree with you that if they were going to blood mullen then they may as well go all in and throw carney next to him.

A joke? me? No im just a pain in the arse. But good to see the gear has not effected your ability to see logic, now quit hoggin the peace pipe, brother!

perverse said:
nice to see you fall back on the "its just an internet forum" copout. in my opinion mullen has done enough to be equal with the current halfbacks eligible for selection. add to that his potential over them and you have total justification of his selection. whether the media have been beating him up or not is totally irrelevant. i'm talking about what's happening on the field, not in the papers.

On the feild he has not shown enough to be considered a SOO player imo, he has shown enough to suggest that if his development goes well he should be a SOO staple for a large part of his career but i dont think he has shown he has it in him to be the player NSW need at SOO level just yet. The Papers would have you believe he has, and hence forth, he got picked.

perverse said:
the only reason you've got any debate at all is because i've been foolish enough to continue this "discussion".
If its so foolish, then why cant you stop yourself?

Pika

Bench
Raider_69, whats with the knoughts?

I dont get it.....

Yes, in advance, I am a little slow......

strewth_mate

Bench
How would we feel if he'd been selected at 5/8, with someone like Kimmorley or Monaghan at HB?

I mean, I might not think it's entirely appropriate that he was selected, but I do hope he goes well. Though I feel that none of the options at halfback would have been well received by the majority, so we'll see how he goes on the day. After all, knee-jerk selection reactions might even see the Blues go through three different halfbacks this year, but that still probably wouldn't please many. Wonder how this all would have panned out if Johns was still going around?

Never thought I'd see the day when people were wishing Kimmorley would be chosen over a new young kid with plenty of talent. Dunno if he's got the most talent, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Raider_69

Post Whore
strewth_mate said:
How would we feel if he'd been selected at 5/8, with someone like Kimmorley or Monaghan at HB?

tbh, not much better, for mine it was a choice of either experience or the future, they've had a bet each way and i cant see it paying off, but id have definitely prefered it if they had an organisational half paired with him, would take alot of pressure off him

strewth_mate said:
I mean, I might not think it's entirely appropriate that he was selected, but I do hope he goes well. Though I feel that none of the options at halfback would have been well received by the majority, so we'll see how he goes on the day. After all, knee-jerk selection reactions might even see the Blues go through three different halfbacks this year, but that still probably wouldn't please many. Wonder how this all would have panned out if Johns was still going around?

I agree, im one of few raiders fans not pasting mullen completely, i happen to rate the bloke and think he is a great talent and will be a great partner for carney in future origins, im just not sure he was worthy of selection here based on form, and if you want to go future, then as i said previously go the hole hog and just get carney and mullen both ion there. I too hope he goes well, will serve NSW alot better for the long run if he does

As for the last question, simple - Johns and Anasta, Anasta can play well with a guy like Johns doing most of the work

strewth_mate said:
Never thought I'd see the day when people were wishing Kimmorley would be chosen over a new young kid with plenty of talent. Dunno if he's got the most talent, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

TBH i think its more a protective thing, Mullen is at a crutial point on his development, a disasterous origin showing could set his development back 6 months, alot people myself included dont see the point in risking that when in all honesty, QLD should win game 1 and this series comfortably.

A disasterous showing by Kimmorley wouldnt change much at all

Hutty1986

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
tbh, not much better, for mine it was a choice of either experience or the future, they've had a bet each way and i cant see it paying off, but id have definitely prefered it if they had an organisational half paired with him, would take alot of pressure off him

I agree, im one of few raiders fans not pasting mullen completely, i happen to rate the bloke and think he is a great talent and will be a great partner for carney in future origins, im just not sure he was worthy of selection here based on form, and if you want to go future, then as i said previously go the hole hog and just get carney and mullen both ion there. I too hope he goes well, will serve NSW alot better for the long run if he does

As for the last question, simple - Johns and Anasta, Anasta can play well with a guy like Johns doing most of the work

TBH i think its more a protective thing, Mullen is at a crutial point on his development, a disasterous origin showing could set his development back 6 months, alot people myself included dont see the point in risking that when in all honesty, QLD should win game 1 and this series comfortably.

A disasterous showing by Kimmorley wouldnt change much at all

Why is that you thinkQld aresuch specials? Sure they have a great backline but so do NSW. The home state advantage and classy halves is the only thing that gives them the edge imo... if our halves play solidly and the forwards perform, its 50/50

RABK

Referee
astrogirl said:
I really hope Mullen doesn't read these forums

He doesn't but he'd be laughing if he did, this sort of stuff doesn't bother him. He was flooded with messages of support today and he's over the moon. I passed on a message to his girlfriend to give to him.

Nice to see the Blues halfback has a lot of support from Blues fans though...

Raider_69

Post Whore
Hutty1986 said:
Why is that you thinkQld aresuch specials? Sure they have a great backline but so do NSW. The home state advantage and classy halves is the only thing that gives them the edge imo... if our halves play solidly and the forwards perform, its 50/50

their forwards are good enough to match ours, Myles the expection
their halves are an absolute class above ours and so are their backs, all their forwards have to do is match ours, which they are more then capible of doing with the team they've named. The best front row in the world, one of the best Locks in the game, aggressive and poweful second rowers... Lillyman and Myles are abit hows it going, and i guess if your not a raiders fan Costigan aswell, so their bench is a little suspect but Myles and Lillyman played well last year and Costigan is made for Origin imo.

even when they've had better teams, they QLDers have always been under dogs with the bookies, this is the first year in ages they go in favourites, that in itself is a fair indication of just how hard this series is going to be for NSW to win... that said it is origin and origin always seems to throw a curve ball at us arm chair experts so who knows

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Marshall_Magic said:
Good on the selectors for taking the gamble, no doubt Buderus will be helping him out with everything, and hopefully he has a good game, he is a rare talent.
In amongst all the crap that 90% of supposed "Blues fans" are going on with, there is actually someone who is talking sense :shock:

Those of you who hope he has a shocker so you can all get on your high horses and say "I told you so" need to give yourselves an uppercut or two. Seriously. I hope he kills it out there so then perhaps all of you "non-believers" will finally take off the "We hate Mullen for no particular reason" glasses and realise that the kid really is something special.

perverse

Referee
i'm glad some real NSW supporters decided to chime in.. this thread was showing signs of very dark days for our state.

worldchampion

Juniors
Dodger said:
Nothing to do with Sherwin, or anyone at all. Just making note of Daley's unprofessional on-air wankathon he had over Mullen.

Mate Im more upset that the bulldogs let thurstin go to keep that pissant anasta who left anyway

perverse

Referee
it was more a Warren Smith wankathon than a Daley wankathon tbh. Daley had good things to say about him when they were due. Mullen had a great game against the warriors - probably the best of any halfback of the round (certainly as far as NSW are concerned), and i'm sure the stats will back that up.

bula_stormer

Juniors
You're kidding arent ya?? I watched that whole game, Mullen hardly did anything!
Gidley got the knights out of trouble, Mullen didnt anymore than Orford and Kimmorley did. Whoever mentioned that Mullen wouldnt have got the same opportunities if he was wearing a Raiders or Warriors jersey is correct. He just had the right people behind him, he's done absolutely nothing yet.

perverse

Referee
bula_stormer said:
You're kidding arent ya?? I watched that whole game, Mullen hardly did anything!
Gidley got the knights out of trouble, Mullen didnt anymore than Orford and Kimmorley did. Whoever mentioned that Mullen wouldnt have got the same opportunities if he was wearing a Raiders or Warriors jersey is correct. He just had the right people behind him, he's done absolutely nothing yet.
if you think mullen hardly did anything that game then you must be blind. he had a hand in at least 1 try.. made a line break and several half breaks.. put in plenty of great kicks and made great meters for a halfback in todays game. i think i recall he made a single error. he didn't dominate like a johns, lockyer or thurston... but he had one of the best games of the round in the halves.

i'm sure the stats will back me up on this... as will the footage of the match... alas i've got no idea where to get either... nrl.com maybe... but i'm lazy too...