What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne

Joker's Wild

Coach
As a punt returner he looks great, he's got above average hands compared to most returners, he's doing a great job of making the first man miss and getting upfield on his returns.

As a RB I think he looks much better on the stretch/outside runs than in between the tackles. He's still running with a high pad level so he struggles inside to lower the boom and move the pile. His big runs have been to the outside where he can follow a blocker, plant and head upfield. He's doing a great job with the stiff arms haha

Yeah ive been loving this. Must be weird for him to palm someone in the face and expect to feel cheek bone/jaw but instead get a hand full of guard

18to87

Coach
Had a yank on my twitter just call him out for making some religious comments on twitter a little while back. Called him a POS. I seem to have missed the drama over it myself.

nick87

Coach
He made some pretty suspect anti-semitic remarks about god
Im agnostic so couldnt give a shit

gUt

Coach
I presume that a league style pass as you're about to get tackled is basically a no-no in this game? I saw in one of his punt returns he could have easily passed to his left to an unmarked man but I guess the bloke wouldn't have expected it?

DC_fan

Coach
I thought he had a very good game today. Shame it was against my team.

Jarryd will sooner or later have to learn he will not be able to return every punt. But he certainly knows how to gain ground when he does. I liked seeing him play some coverage. The guy can tackle so this is an area where he can be utilised in.

As for his running game, like last week he had one very good run. This week it was a 34 yarder as opposed to the 54 yarder last week. Looks good in open space but needs to work on running in traffic.

nick87

Coach
I presume that a league style pass as you're about to get tackled is basically a no-no in this game? I saw in one of his punt returns he could have easily passed to his left to an unmarked man but I guess the bloke wouldn't have expected it?

You can do it... Ed Reed used to LOVE doing lateral passes on turn overs to try and get more yardage, but the NFL is very conservative, many players arent used to catching passes like that, but it's pretty high risk... a fumble recovered by the other team is a huge play in the NFL.

I could see a scenario where Hayne might try it one day, but not until his job is nice and secure and probably not unless his team is up a lot or down a lot.

legend

Coach
As a punt returner he looks great, he's got above average hands compared to most returners, he's doing a great job of making the first man miss and getting upfield on his returns.

As a RB I think he looks much better on the stretch/outside runs than in between the tackles. He's still running with a high pad level so he struggles inside to lower the boom and move the pile. His big runs have been to the outside where he can follow a blocker, plant and head upfield. He's doing a great job with the stiff arms haha

He needs to learn how to run between the tackles because if he only runs outside, teams will cotton pretty quick that a stretch play is on and they take a long time to develop unless they go play action, but he needs to be very good at blocking although Kaep could just take off and go himself. Will be interesting to see what happens.

He'll get some good coin from endorsements both here and in America if he makes the cut. he'll be an advertisers dream.

abpanther

Staff member

Yeah I'd love to see it myself and I think they could develop some really nice play with a receiver outside in support.

But the reality is I don't think the yanks would cope with something like that which would completely change the game the way they've always played it

18to87

Coach
He needs to learn how to run between the tackles because if he only runs outside, teams will cotton pretty quick that a stretch play is on and they take a long time to develop unless they go play action, but he needs to be very good at blocking although Kaep could just take off and go himself. Will be interesting to see what happens.

He'll get some good coin from endorsements both here and in America if he makes the cut. he'll be an advertisers dream.

IMO, needing to get a lower pad level on inside runs is something the coaches can live with for now, as he will improve. The question that needs to be answered to make him a lock for the active game day roster is can he block if the other RB's were to get injured. I think it is fair to say that the 49ers coaches wouldn't dream of having him block for Kaep in a live game right now and this probably explains why the head coach is not getting carried away in press conferences. If he keeps making people miss on PR though, then he should be suiting up in week one regardless.

abpanther

Staff member
There's been plenty of guys who have been successful with an upright running style, think of a guy like Eddie George. The thing is though he was still able to plow it up between the tackles and get the tough yards

Canard

Immortal

i don't understand why people come to this forum to call out people who ragged on hayne. why don't they do it in the forums they read all that stuff.

There was PLENTY of LU members who said he had next to no chance, plenty.

A lot of them have disappeared up their own arse or changed usernames.

Those guys deserve to be called out.

abpanther

Staff member

But why would you do it here where their comments weren't made? If you wanna call people out at least do it in the original forum

Canard

Immortal
But why would you do it here where their comments weren't made? If you wanna call people out at least do it in the original forum

I've no idea where or how to find that mate.

Why is everyone so upset about this being raised? Because some people were way wrong??

abpanther

Staff member
I've no idea where or how to find that mate.

Why is everyone so upset about this being raised? Because some people were way wrong??

No it's just that we're all here posting our observations on the guy and supporting him, I think everyone here is hoping he succeeds.

To then have people posting about the naysayers and almost trying to rub it in our faces is a bit much given that most of us didn't post those comments in the first place.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
There's been plenty of guys who have been successful with an upright running style, think of a guy like Eddie George. The thing is though he was still able to plow it up between the tackles and get the tough yards

Eddie George! now there's a blast form the past.. Madden 2001 Cover... I'm pretty sure I was running a 90% run offence with that guy.. he was unstoppable!

18to87

Coach

From what I remember, many just said it would be very difficult, myself included. He is doing amazing at the moment, showing his skill set and looks to have sewn up a returners job. Also appears he chose well signing with a team that desperately needs a PR boost and he is providing that. Still has work to do at RB though. Many have put up big numbers in preseason and not gone on to do much because there is more to it than running the rock.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Pretty sure most of the negative comments were made in the "Hayne to NFL" or somesuch thread in the NRL forum, not here

nick87

Coach
It is very strange to see people storming in here trying to make a big show of "look how wrong you all are" type of shit when we are all 100% behind him
Even those of us, like me, who expressed doubts he would make it. One of things that makes this forum great is we express our view and if people are wrong they say they were wrong and continue to just talk football
No one here is rooting against him. Haynes proven me wrong and I couldn't be happier about it, it's strange to see people storming this section with the "I told you so's" given all of that

big hit!

Bench
his fend is going to be game changer in this League. it was phenomenal in rugby league. with defenders who have pads and a helmet between them and him, it's going to be such an advantage for Hayne.

imagine bringing the ball back to give your offence field position on the 40 or 50yd line on a regular basis?? if the defence does its job, then the niners are half-way to a win.

he may be playing against 3rd, 4th , 5th (this is what the 75-90th guys are in pre-season) stringers, but he's playing like a 1st teamer against inferior opposition which is what you'd expect of your 53-man personnel.

the only real blight on his game today was being tackled by a punter. dude!!!! get low and drive that helmet into his chest. that's what it's there for!!!! he ran into it like he would in rugby league. just one thing that he hasn't adapted to as yet.