What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne

Eelectrica

Referee
Unfortunately all I've got access to are the youtube highlights, but what is impressing me is how grounded he seems to be remaining. All this hype surrounding him, but he seems to be keeping things in perspective. If he let it get to his head, I'm sure his coaches would bring back to earth quick enough anyway.

Nice work on those returns and runs though. Sure he's going against 2nd stringers, but they're just as desperate to make their respective teams roster as Hayne is, so that balances things out perhaps.

kurt faulk

Coach
Unfortunately all I've got access to are the youtube highlights, but what is impressing me is how grounded he seems to be remaining. All this hype surrounding him, but he seems to be keeping things in perspective. If he let it get to his head, I'm sure his coaches would bring back to earth quick enough anyway.

Nice work on those returns and runs though. Sure he's going against 2nd stringers, but they're just as desperate to make their respective teams roster as Hayne is, so that balances things out perhaps.

c'mon man, he's a punt returner and bottom of the rung of the rbs on the team. he has no right to anything other than grounded.

he still has to work his arse off to make the team.

if the whiners were smart they should design plays that take full advantage of his rugby league skills, including passing, to pull out of the hat when needed. how hard could it be to teach wrs to catch a league type pass? they would score easy tds just by the surprise element alone..

Danish

Referee
It is very strange to see people storming in here trying to make a big show of "look how wrong you all are" type of shit when we are all 100% behind him
Even those of us, like me, who expressed doubts he would make it. One of things that makes this forum great is we express our view and if people are wrong they say they were wrong and continue to just talk football
No one here is rooting against him. Haynes proven me wrong and I couldn't be happier about it, it's strange to see people storming this section with the "I told you so's" given all of that

You don't think this thread would be full of the original naysayers laying the boot into Hayne and his supporters if he were failing right now?

nick87

Coach
You don't think this thread would be full of the original naysayers laying the boot into Hayne and his supporters if he were failing right now?
This thread?
No. I don't

Take it to the NRL page and troll till your hearts content

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
c'mon man, he's a punt returner and bottom of the rung of the rbs on the team. he has no right to anything other than grounded.

if the whiners were smart they should design plays that take full advantage of his rugby league skills, including passing, to pull out of the hat when needed. how hard could it be to teach wrs to catch a league type pass? they would score easy tds just by the surprise element alone..

True, but with the media hype, it would have been easy to let that get to his head. One or two bad mistake in the next to trial games, and the train gets de-railed very quickly.

But yeah if he does make the team, they absolutely should design some NRL type plays. Could be a shock tactic if executed well, and not just on the final play of the game, down by 4 and needing to go length of the field.

Cletus

First Grade

You don't think making the cut after one offseason would be pretty impressive? I think it's an amazing story and yeah he's got a long way to go but he's exceeded all expections and it's such a cool story.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
So what if anyone thought he could not make the team. It was never about his athlectic ability anyway, it was such a different sport to grasp, especially for someone that has played at the highest level in a different sport where his time and training primarily related to his then employment.

Look at Folau, he was big could move and jump. Different ball game the AFL. Nothing is guarenteed.

I thought Hayne could make it, but I completely understand why some people thought he would struggle or better yet not make the team. We all want Hayne to make the team, hell I am a Raiders (NRL) and Packers (NFL) fan, I am cheering him on, the hometown hero making it big in the states is an awesome acheivement. He is not there yet, but after two games it is obvious that he is talented enough to have a legitimate shot, assuming he continues improving.

Don't get me wrong, he isnt anywhere near as polished as the other guys...but he has approx six weeks experience lol.

saint pebba

Coach
The one area that the 49ers could utilise him better in is the screen pass.

You give him 2 or 3 big boppers blocking up field and I think he would make serious yards

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Also the game leading rusher as well, not bad in his second game. I would like to see him have a few 1st team reps at RB, just to put his performances into prespective.

kurt faulk

Coach
True, but with the media hype, it would have been easy to let that get to his head. One or two bad mistake in the next to trial games, and the train gets de-railed very quickly.

But yeah if he does make the team, they absolutely should design some NRL type plays. Could be a shock tactic if executed well, and not just on the final play of the game, down by 4 and needing to go length of the field.

agreed. but for some reason nfl head coaches seem reluctant to go against the grain. that's why guys like martz and chip are a breath of fresh air for the league.

saint pebba

Coach

No chance he ever tries this as it would cause more turnovers than touchdowns.

18to87

Coach

I imagine the 49ers have a few plays in their playbook perfect for Hayne such as a quick swing screen but then again Reggie Bush has been executing plays like that his whole career.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

I've been cheering him on ??? Why would we put the boot in. Are you taking crazy pills again Danish.

kurt faulk

Coach
You don't think making the cut after one offseason would be pretty impressive? I think it's an amazing story and yeah he's got a long way to go but he's exceeded all expections and it's such a cool story.

sure it would but he won't be letting it get to his head. and it's a great story with everyone in australia pulling for the guy. we all want him to make it.

kurt faulk

Coach

we're not saying to try it every down but as a shock play. i've seen so many plays where a td is waiting to be scored with a pass but nfl players have no idea how to execute it.

Cletus

First Grade
sure it would but he won't be letting it get to his head. and it's a great story with everyone in australia pulling for the guy. we all want him to make it.

Cool, I don't think anyone is hating on Hayne. I didn't think he'd do this well either to be honest.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I thought he'd struggle with the little things and he is. What I failed to take into account is that his rugby league skills translate really well in open field.

However this is all just proving the old adage professional athletes have more in common with pros from different sports than amateurs in their own. An elite athlete would probably make an elite tiddlywinks player with enough time.

GongPanther

Referee
I was one of the skeptical nay-sayers with good reason.

What I've seen of Hayne so far has been nothing short of amazing.

But what observers need to take in is that Hayne still has a long way to go.

Next week,especially in the second half of next week's games,most teams are going to bring in the big guns.

This is were we will see how Hayne truly stands out after getting hit by the harder hitting players that have been waiting on the sidelines.

Maybe a year on the training squad for this season might be the best that Hayne can hope for.

And if he cracks it next year,there'll be even more interest in Hayne.An even more interest from talent scouts in the U.S. to converge on other NRL or NYC talent.

So I'd hold off until the player cut-offs before getting an NFL Gamepass season subscription if ones intentions are only to watch Hayne.

T.S Quint

Coach
I always thought Hayne could make a great punt/kick returner.
I always knew he had the athleticism to make it.
Where I thought Hayne would have a problem getting into the squad was that he would have trouble with the RB play, and that a team wouldn't pick him simply for kick returns.

I know he hasn't made it yet, but it is looking likely. I'm glad I was wrong.
Hope he works hard on his RB play. Needs to get those extra yards in the middle.