What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne

ram raid

Bench
Interesting to hear how the waivers process works. Given that I can't see Hayne not playing NFL this year, someone will pick him up as a kick returner/novelty act. The other thing I find interesting about him is the way his running style is criticised, his step has a lot to do with his upright running and it looks like that is something that has been coached out of the NFL. Anyway it will be interesting to see how he goes, I'm loving the butthurt flowing from Australian NFL fans all over the internet :)

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-spor...ught-about-the-eels-star-20150827-gj8z8e.html

Yeah I was thinking that too. I don't know much about NFL, but when I heard them saying "run lower!" I thought "why?", because he seams to be doing pretty well doing what he's doing.

Cletus

First Grade
Yeah I was thinking that too. I don't know much about NFL, but when I heard them saying "run lower!" I thought "why?", because he seams to be doing pretty well doing what he's doing.

It's mainly when he's running through the line of scrimmage trying to get a couple of yards, they want him to keep his centre of mass low and drive through with his legs. I don't think it matters so much when he's doing punt returns and I can't see why he can't adapt to it.

18to87

Coach
Will it be that hard to pick up though? With another years training I'm sure he could get there.

Yes, I think he can and maybe he can light it up as a returner/special teamer in the mean time. Who knows, if he can show some glimpses at RB as the season goes on, he may make Reggie Bush expendable in the offseason and move up to #2 or #3.

chrisD

Coach
If they keep Davis, Hunter and Hayne (Bush and Hyde being a given) on the roster this season the sentiment on the 49ers boards seems to be that Bush will probably be expendable next season anyway.

nick87

Coach
I really dont think they are going to keep 5 RBs... especially not when they have Hyde and Bush there, having 3 extra RBs that will barely play, at the expense of a now desperately thin defense would be a f**king fiasco

chrisD

Coach
Hunter is the one most thought in danger but that was because it was unknown how he'd be coming off of injury, but he got the majority of the RB duties in the practice against the Broncos and was thought to look good. Most the roster predictions have all 5 there with Davis inactive.

What happens if a lateral is thrown (after the line of scrimmage if that matters) and its dropped? Does the play just become an incompletion or is it a live ball?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hunter is the one most thought in danger but that was because it was unknown how he'd be coming off of injury, but he got the majority of the RB duties in the practice against the Broncos and was thought to look good. Most the roster predictions have all 5 there with Davis inactive.

What happens if a lateral is thrown (after the line of scrimmage if that matters) and its dropped? Does the play just become an incompletion or is it a live ball?

Id have thought it would be a fumble

Mhartew

Juniors
It'd be a fumble. And most offensive players wouldn't be expecting a lateral, so it's very risky. NFL is a very risk averse league.

Parra

Referee
It'd be a fumble. And most offensive players wouldn't be expecting a lateral, so it's very risky. NFL is a very risk averse league.

So is every sport given the right situation.

Once the 10 yards have been achieved it is essentially a 'zero tackle' if we use an NRL analogy.

On zero tackle we also expect NRL players to be risk averse - basically don't pass the ball at all, don't go near the sideline.

NFL is no different.

Parra

Referee
Looks like a snub to me. And I can't see that this was anyone other than Gabberts call on that play.

[youtube]nUXlRIUAwZY[/youtube]

Snub or just a bad read followed by a bad read?

Cletus

First Grade
I think he was just having a sook, it looks like he's backup QB trying to impress and he f**ks up and gets sacked for a loss. Not a great thing to do but I think he was disappointed in himself rather than pissed off at Hayne.

Cletus

First Grade
Yes, I think he can and maybe he can light it up as a returner/special teamer in the mean time. Who knows, if he can show some glimpses at RB as the season goes on, he may make Reggie Bush expendable in the offseason and move up to #2 or #3.

It will be interesting to see what they do with him and how he develops during the season, I can see him picking it up pretty quickly with regular practice and coaching support. I imagine the NFL teams have ludicrous numbers of support staff.

Big Mick

Referee
I agree with Cletus. I reckon he tried to be a hero and play some read option and got caught out massively.

So he was shitty and cracking it like a little bitch.

Funny thing is that Hayne has so far made more of an impact in the NFL than Gabbert ever has. Nupty.

shiznit

Coach
Well... Usually in the 3rd pre-season game teams will play there first team for the first 3 quarters so the fact that Bush and White took the first punt and kick off return says that he isn't considered the first string returner...

Which is strange...

They must be using this game to try out Bush and Co...

Danish

Referee
You'd think Hayne will get the next punt return after that attempt by Bush....

I was expecting to see him sometime before halftime or just after

shiznit

Coach
You'd think Hayne will get the next punt return after that attempt by Bush....

I was expecting to see him sometime before halftime or just after
I was expecting to see him first up... He's the best punt returner on this squad...

This is mystifying by Jimmy T...

The only thing I can think of is he's trying to get Reggie Bush as involved as possible as he hasn't really played during the pre-season.

18to87

Coach
Woot and Wye NFL @WootandWye
Before ya'll kill us, that Dallas special teams unit was torn to shreds by Corrdarelle Patterson today.

(49ers last week opponent)

Danish

Referee
I was expecting to see him first up... He's the best punt returner on this squad...

This is mystifying by Jimmy T...

The only thing I can think of is he's trying to get Reggie Bush as involved as possible as he hasn't really played during the pre-season.

Yeah I figure he is giving game time to Bush as well. He's clearly going to be back up running back this year so I reckon they are giving him a chance at the returning job as well, a chance that off his first 2 attempts he hasn't taken too well (the leave being particular bad IMO given he had no pressure and the ball bounced only a yard or 2 in front of him)