What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne

kurt faulk

Coach
Bullshit. People were quoting 100m times by failed NFL players and 40 times by elite RBs and receivers and stating he would be out of his depth.

You weren't that I recall on that front, but others (particularly in the NRL section) were)

I don't understand why you're bringing it here to this forum. This is a forum for nfl fans that love the sport and were curious to see how Hayne would fare in the nfl.

chrisD

Coach
So you're saying he'll re-write the coaching manual for how running backs are suppose to run?
I'm saying the clowns who were all acting like carrying an NFL ball and switching hands requires a college education who have now moved onto saying his upright style will result in him getting smashed are in for a shock. He wouldn't be the first successful upright runner in the NFL and he excels in contact.

shiznit

Coach
So you're saying he'll re-write the coaching manual for how running backs are suppose to run?
It's an interesting argument IMO...

There are guys who have succeeded with an upright running style... Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson being the most well known example of it...

But your right... There are reasons why they do things...

My biggest issue for him making it has always been his value to a roster... He needs to make himself valuable enough for them to keep... Because a K/PR needs to be able to stand up and be useful in another area... Which as he was going to be a RB... Made me worry about his ability to block.

That is still his biggest hurdle... He needs to learn the playbook and learn how to recognise blitzes and coverages... He can score 3 touchdowns in a game... But if he doesn't pick up his block and the QB gets blindsided he could be cut in an instant.

These other RB's have been playing the game for over 10-15yrs... So they have the benefit of all those years and have developed the instincts to recognise those things.

The QB has to be confident that the RB can pick up any stragglers that come at him..

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
It's an interesting argument IMO...

There are guys who have succeeded with an upright running style... Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson being the most well known example of it...

But your right... There are reasons why they do things...

My biggest issue for him making it has always been his value to a roster... He needs to make himself valuable enough for them to keep... Because a K/PR needs to be able to stand up and be useful in another area... Which as he was going to be a RB... Made me worry about his ability to block.

That is still his biggest hurdle... He needs to learn the playbook and learn how to recognise blitzes and coverages... He can score 3 touchdowns in a game... But if he doesn't pick up his block and the QB gets blindsided he could be cut in an instant.

Blocking and also finishing the play when he takes a fake handoff. A couple of times he looked lost when he didn't have the ball and the sort of stopped in no-mans land. To be expected I suppose and he will only improve after that incredible debut. Critics are down to nit-pick level already. After only half a game. And next to no critics regarding punt or kick returns.

shiznit

Coach
It was an amazing debut... Considering that it was his first ever organised game of football.

That's mindblowing IMO...

gordsy

Juniors
I'm surprised he hasn't ever thought of trying to make it as a punter. He's shown that he has the length strength. I know punters are aren't highly thought of but if you can show a bit of talent in that area it just may get you into the 53 man squad.

shiznit

Coach
Not rewrite but add on to the existing coaching manual. There were quite a few would be tacklers who were simply palmed to the ground by Jarryd.
But you've got to understand also that those were 2nd and 3rd string guys...

It's a whole different thing running at JJ.Watt

Last Week

Bench
Fair to say, he hasn't been tested against 1st string defence yet so we don't really know how he is going to handle it. He did absolutely all he could do yesterday other than that one pass, which could happen to anyone. Yes, he's expected to take those, but those plays inevitably have fumbles at some point. Even by the best.

The fact that he is here is incredible. Having never played a competitive game of NFL before and being considered for a spot in an NFL team is just jaw dropping. A testament to his athletic ability.

There are heaps of great athletes in the US, plenty I'm sure who would have been looked at by the 49's who would require far less training and would be less of a gamble. What makes Jarryd so special and interesting to them? What is it about him?

kurt faulk

Coach
Fair to say, he hasn't been tested against 1st string defence yet so we don't really know how he is going to handle it. He did absolutely all he could do yesterday other than that one pass, which could happen to anyone. Yes, he's expected to take those, but those plays inevitably have fumbles at some point. Even by the best.

The fact that he is here is incredible. Having never played a competitive game of NFL before and being considered for a spot in an NFL team is just jaw dropping. A testament to his athletic ability.

There are heaps of great athletes in the US, plenty I'm sure who would have been looked at by the 49's who would require far less training and would be less of a gamble. What makes Jarryd so special and interesting to them? What is it about him?

he can catch the ball. coaches like rbs that can catch the ball. it also helps with the kick and punt returns. i'm optimistic he will stick as a returner for now and maybe work his way into the rb rotation later on.

it would be nice if he could teach the wrs to back him up for the pass. make them watch some rugby league and see how much easier it is to score if support is there.

Last Week

Bench
it would be nice if he could teach the wrs to back him up for the pass. make them watch some rugby league and see how much easier it is to score if support is there.

Lol, I can see it now. Hayne finds a hole, cuts back in, puts a stiff arm in the corner back and .......throws a dummy to fool the safety, he's already made it to the end zone but he's running towards the goal posts for some reason, and he's placed the ball on the ground.

I would lose my shit if he did that, I really would go ballistic.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
That video of Jarryd's 50 yard run will get a shitload of mileage in Australia, hopefully the rest of his debut has been good or at least decent. Just look at it already on Facebook where the video has been posted - comments and likes raining in.

There has got to be a big opportunity for the NFL to grow in Australia if he can crack it for some legit game time in the top league. I wonder if that somehow sways the 49ers roster decision if he is close to making it. The NBA was recently trying to drum up some hype about its first ever Indian player (who apparently sucks) for marketing reasons. But maybe it's easier to carry a layer like that in the NBA when you have 82 games a year vs 16

NFL in Australia already has a pretty solid following. It is only a market of 22 million people though, so even if it somehow increased the existing market by 50%, it is still relatively meaningless to the NFL.

The market growth potential is minimal for the NFL. For the 49ers, there is merch potential, but again, really won't make much of a difference.

Your indian comparison is a bit different when talking about a country of ~1.3 billion people.

He'll need to make it on his merits, the amount of money the Australian market could bring in is chump change.

Latest posts