What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne

Noa

First Grade
So we're we at with the not athletic enough, too stupid to learn the play book, won't get out of training camp etc talk some "experts" on here were lecturing us with several months ago.

nick87

Coach
So we're we at with the not athletic enough, too stupid to learn the play book, won't get out of training camp etc talk some "experts" on here were lecturing us with several months ago.

point 1: no one said he's not athletic enough that i remember, just that his athletic ability wont seperate him from the pack the way it does in the NRL.

point 2: having watched every one of his snaps, he's clearly still struggling with aspects of the play book, as to be expected.

point 3: "training camp" basically means pre season, there is two cut days in the next 3-4 weeks, one from 90 to 75, and then 75 to the 53... he's still got to survive those cuts (Edited: he shouldnt have any problems getting past the first one based on today imo, the next few pre season games, and even game 4 are going to be be huge for him)

merkin's need to slow their roll here, Danish was in here talking about how he'd be a starter for 3 years a few hours ago, i mean you're jumping the gun a lot here. Still a long way to go in his "journey" to an NFL roster

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
Of course. Full of doubt.

But it is a genuine question.

What else could Hayne have done by today?

nick87

Coach
What else could Hayne have done by today?

Given his level of experience, probably not a lot. But he's not going to make a roster because relative to his experience he's going well. Being good for his level of experience will only take him so far, he's got to actually beat out Kendall Hunter to make the team. In terms of what he needs to go going forward to make the team:

I think he needs to lower his pad level, outside his big run, in which the hole he ran through was gigantic (full credit on the juke on the safety though, that was all Hayne), he looked like he was struggling to read the blocks (again completely understandable), and when he came to contact he gave his legs too easily and allowed the defenders to get him on the ground too easily.

He didnt look like he had a clue in pass protection (again competely understandable). This is one of the hardest parts of the game to pick up, but he just kinda stuck his nose in the pile and hoped to get in the road.

On passing routes he looked sloppy, and the one pass thrown his way, could have easily been called a catch and fumble, which was recovered by the D. I get the pass was a hospital ball, but thats why they call the RB a safety value, they get all the hospital balls, he's gotta make that catch

ON returns, he's just gotta keep doing exactly what he's done today, he was fantastic in this area. He showed good instincts, good patience and carved out yards where he shouldnt have been able to carve out yards. His 7 yard punt return was way more impressive to me than his 50 yard run.

Parra

Referee
The pass was incomplete every day of the week. No question at all.

The blocks he did do were OK. Nothing missed.

On passing routes he was clear on at least two occasions, if he is looked for there are gains. Nothing unusual there for a RB, but also consider that no QB is looking for Hayne. After they watch the tape this week they will be.

Returns were beyond any expectation. Cleared first line each time and averaged over 12 yds including an impressive kick off return.

Passed every single challenge he has faced so far - not just relative to his inexperience - passed relative to any experience.

kurt faulk

Coach

He doesn't necessarily have to beat out Hunter. If they think he is the best kick or punt returner on the team they will keep him as the rb4. But they seem to be intrigued by him as an actual rb otherwise they wouldn't have given him so much time with the 2nd team. I thought it was a great debut and he showed he belonged.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think that is the fairest way to sum it up. He looked like he belonged. Sure he wasn't great off the ball but that is by far the least natural part of the job.

It is a long, long, long road though. I actually support the Niners and want him to go well just to give me a small piece of joy on this no doubt miserable year. Its not like he wasn't much better than a lot of the other niners fringe players showing their stuff. The offensive line in the 3rd quarter was basically a crime against humanity.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/8/15/9160627/jarryd-hayne-with-strong-first-half-in-49ers-debut

The man the Australians call the Hayne Plane made quite an impression in his first NFL action. Jarryd Hayne looked solid working as both a running back and return man. He finished the first half with 63 rushing yards and 24 punt return yards.

Hayne rushed for two yards on his first attempt, but shortly thereafter followed it up with a nice 53-yard rush. He got some really good blocking on the play, but it was still good to see the "rookie" break a big run. He has 63 rushing yards on five carries.

On the next drive, Hayne was the punt returner and had an 11-yard return with a broken tackle mixed in. Later he had a 13-yard punt return. He broke some tackles and showed excellent vision on both punts. Here is his second punt return:

He also had a 33-yard kick return. The only negative in the first half was on a receiving attempt. He was the safety valve and Blaine Gabbert looked to him. The defender was closing quickly, and as Hayne turned around, the defender was on him and stripping the ball for an incompletion. I'd put it more on Gabbert than Hayne.

The big thing to take from Jarryd Hayne's debut is that he does solid work in pads. The specific numbers are not all that important. Instead, it is more about just what we saw him do. He showed some nice vision, and he could get physical when needed. He needs to build on this, but it was a strong first step in game action. It was exactly what we needed to see from Hayne in his first professional football game.

Last Week

Bench
I just find it amazing that a guy who has never played competitive NFL at any level, is almost a part of the most elite competition for the sport. There are plenty of other players, with more experience, who would be less of a gamble than Jarryd Hayne. He just must be doing something right

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
What Hayne needs now is more game time. It's the only way he will get better. Not sure he will get much, if any at all next weekend against the Cowboys.

As for his showing against the Texans, on face value it looks good. He finished with 63 yards from 5 rushing attempts. But take his 53 yard run out it leaves just 10 yards at an average of 2.5 per attempt. The 49ers coach said Hayne looked good in space, as he certainly did in that 53 yard run where he saw plenty. He saw the opening and went through it. Then his rugby league instincts kicked in and these helped him make a very good run. Outside of this run he really didn't trouble the Texans defense. Runningbacks are not always going to find clear air to run through. Their will be times they will have to create running room themselves and this an area that Jarryd needs to work on. A few times yesterday it was like he reached the brick wall and didn't know how to get through it. For mine if he is to make it as runningback, it will be as a inside runner, not an outside runner. But if this is the case then he needs some work. Interestingly too, he had only one pass thrown his way.

All up I thought for a player in his very first game of American football he should be happy.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'm still shocked he's been trialled as a RB tbh. I thought WR for sure.

I dare say, like the snobbish hater I am, that he found the playbook a bit... Complicated?

I can be the only explanation, as American football requires you to be of the highest intelligence, unless NTL which is played by simpletons, and requires no thought whatsoever.

Haffa

A mate of mine who writes for Niners Nation said he struggled in some closed practices catching the ball correctly in situational positions. I expressed my surprise because he's a freak so make of that what you will.

chrisD

Coach
Runs too high my ass. Once he gets the pads working for him instead of them being a nuisance it won't be Hayne needing to fear getting leveled.

18to87

Coach
I'm still shocked he's been trialled as a RB tbh. I thought WR for sure.

I dare say, like the snobbish hater I am, that he found the playbook a bit... Complicated?

I can be the only explanation, as American football requires you to be of the highest intelligence, unless NTL which is played by simpletons, and requires no thought whatsoever.

I think the 49ers have got it right. RB/KR is the best fit for him, if he can learn how to block at RB which will take some time. WR is another beast, not necessarily from a playbook perspective (I could argue WR is easier as you don't have to worry about pass pro) but from a speed and agility perspective. His toughness as a league player will also shine through at RB.

Will be interesting to see how the coaches react to his sidestep. This is not something Americans use or see a whole lot. Some may see it as an X factor, or traditional coaches could coach it out of him and tell him to put his head down and get every inch he can. Could be some risk if he side steps the player in front of him only to be blindsided from another angle and fumble.

kurt faulk

Coach

Hayne makes big impression in first NFL action for 49ers
By JANIE McCAULEY (AP Sports Writer)
8 hours ago
AP - Sports

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Even a day later, hype surrounded Jarryd Hayne's impressive first NFL action for the San Francisco 49ers.

The former Australian rugby league star broke open a 53-yard run early in the second quarter of a 23-10 loss at Houston on Saturday night. He had five carries for 63 yards, a 33-yard kickoff return and a pair of punt returns totaling 24 yards.

None of this means a thing when it comes to whether the 27-year-old rookie will make the 53-man roster out of training camp, which would still be a surprise. A spot on the practice squad has long seemed most likely, yet Hayne is certainly doing his part to make an impact.

''I'm not as shocked that Jarryd was able to field punts and run or field kicks and run, or that Jarryd was able to see creases and take them and then get into the open field and a void. I've seen him do all those things,'' coach Jim Tomsula said Sunday.

''I've watched a lot of film on Jarryd Hayne playing rugby. The things that excite me about Jarryd Hayne are the things that we've got to stay on, is when you get into those tighter quarters and seeing those little creases. That's where the improvement is.''

Hayne spent the past nine years - from 2006-14 - with the Parramatta Eels of the Australian National Rugby League before giving up that career to chase a new, drastically different one across the globe.

Only recently did he take his first NFL hit in pads early on in training camp. Taking that to game speed can be a major adjustment.

''Obviously, it was a huge step for me and even before the game I was pretty calm,'' Hayne said. ''It was in the warmup when I found out I was going to be second string after (running back) Carlos (Hyde) had his first stint. So, that gave me a bit of a shocker like 'whoa' and put me into a bit of the deep end, but I was fine.''

Hayne has shown no signs that he underwent minor foot surgery when he went back home to Australia after the team's mandatory June minicamp.

Last year, he gave up his rugby career to chase a football dream as an undrafted free agent for San Francisco.

''I just like to temper everything. We don't need to put undo expectations. It's unnecessary for me to put that on his plate right now,'' Tomsula said. ''I just want him to stay focused on getting better. The guy's a world-class athlete. He played professional sports for seven, eight, nine years.''

Renowned for his acceleration and counter-attacking skills in rugby, Hayne has said he believes he has the ability to make it as either a punt returner or kick returner. He has worked extensively with running backs coach Tom Rathman to learn the system and his technique.

''I just wanted to come out, obviously, and do well and not make any mistakes,'' Hayne said. ''That was probably the biggest thing.''

Another rookie, third-string quarterback Dylan Thompson, completed 4 of 6 passes for 15 yards with an interception. Tomsula said the Niners struggled to find continuity during that stretch.

''A lot of times offensively and defensively in the later part of the third and even into the fourth quarter, we looked like popcorn,'' the coach said. ''We were popping all over the place. Instead of one continuous pop, it was pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. You can't play at all that way. Everybody's got to be in unison.''

aqua_duck

Coach
Runs too high my ass. Once he gets the pads working for him instead of them being a nuisance it won't be Hayne needing to fear getting leveled.

So you're saying he'll re-write the coaching manual for how running backs are suppose to run?

Danish

Referee
point 1: no one said he's not athletic enough that i remember, just that his athletic ability wont seperate him from the pack the way it does in the NRL.

Bullshit. People were quoting 100m times by failed NFL players and 40 times by elite RBs and receivers and stating he would be out of his depth.

You weren't that I recall on that front, but others (particularly in the NRL section) were)

merkin's need to slow their roll here, Danish was in here talking about how he'd be a starter for 3 years a few hours ago, i mean you're jumping the gun a lot here. Still a long way to go in his "journey" to an NFL roster

I said he would EVENTUALLY be a starter, and have a 2-3 season career. And I'll stand by that. There are plenty of shithouse teams in the NFL filled with below average players who will be happy to snap up Hayne after this season if the 49ers don't have a need for him anymore.

Not saying he will be in the top RBs in the sport, but he doesn't have to be. Even the 30th ranked starting RB is still going to manage to stretch his career out a few years.