What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

Gronk

Staff member
I like that in principle but imagine telling a Ponga to do that. He’d not turn up. There is a balance in talent vs behaviour otherwise people like Munster or Cheese wouldn’t have gotten a start!
Yeah I thought that too. Andrew Johns would be still wandering around Melbourne trying to find the place.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I heard a on a podcast not too long ago (dunno which one but I think it included that ex RU consultant Ben Darwin) about Bellamy and Ponissi. Bellamy said that making the 8 is not hard, but in the pursuit if the trophy it can come down to unity or off field dramas being the difference.

They went on to say that when they target a kid, they make him pay his own way down to Melbourne and tell him to meet them at a random coffee shop. Then once sat down, they monitor his behaviour, his interactions and manners with cafe staff, if he looks you in the eye, stong hand shake. If you don’t tick all the boxes, you will be passed over.

Edit: it’s not this one, but similar

That's a really good test of character, and it's not surprising the Storm are so successful.

chiefy1

Bench
I like that in principle but imagine telling a Ponga to do that. He’d not turn up. There is a balance in talent vs behaviour otherwise people like Munster or Cheese wouldn’t have gotten a start!

This went down when cheese rocked up at Melbourne. Then they still signed him up.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
I can’t normally stand Brandon Smith but he had a few interesting comments about Ryles in the latest James Graham Podcast. Mentioned Ryles was responsible for the storms defensive structures

There defense has actually been a bit average this season.

Chipmunk

Coach
I heard a on a podcast not too long ago (dunno which one but I think it included that ex RU consultant Ben Darwin) about Bellamy and Ponissi. Bellamy said that making the 8 is not hard, but in the pursuit if the trophy it can come down to unity or off field dramas being the difference.

They went on to say that when they target a kid, they make him pay his own way down to Melbourne and tell him to meet them at a random coffee shop. Then once sat down, they monitor his behaviour, his interactions and manners with cafe staff, if he looks you in the eye, stong hand shake. If you don’t tick all the boxes, you will be passed over.

I recall someone saying (maybe Gus, Matty Johns, not sure) that overall there isn't a lot of difference between the last 2-4 teams that make the Top 8 each year and the teams who finish in the bottom 4. Essentially those 2-4 teams have had a bit of luck, likely won plenty of the close games, whereas the team who runs 9, 10, 11 hasn't. Everyone else below them has basically just imploded.

84 Baby

Referee
I think we went with Ryles because he’s a hard arse. He won’t be inviting merkins for dinner or baby sitting their kids. Do you think Bellamy allows the players inside his house? I reckon he sacked Olam for sending a text message outside business hours.
Edwards and Too go over to Ivan’s house all the time and mess around with the lights and aircon while Nathan tries to play PS5

84 Baby

Referee
Is this a pop culture reference? My wife doesn’t let me watch YouTube.
It’s on Vimeo so you’re safe

It’s f**ked up they still wearing their playing gear. Have a shower you f**ken hobos!

Also it’s physically impossible for Chinry to look out the window at that angle and see Edwards & Too

84 Baby

Referee
That ad has real cut through to rugby league fans discussing inappropriate relationships between coaches and players

T-Boon

Coach

I doubt they did that with Inglis.
And also they won by cheating the cap.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Jones said he was impressed with Ryles’ willingness to learn and believes he will be successful at the blue and golds.

This is my concern

Cam Smith said the same thing, eg. he is willing/eager to learn...

In other words the guy is inexperienced and will be learning on the run.

Needs to choose his assistants wisely, and be a fast learner. It aint going to be easy..

Chipmunk

Coach
This is my concern

Cam Smith said the same thing, eg. he is willing/eager to learn...

In other words the guy is inexperienced and will be learning on the run.

Needs to choose his assistants wisely, and be a fast learner. It aint going to be easy..
Any coach that doesn't want to learn I'd say is a poor one. I'd imagine both Bellyache and Bennett learn more every day than BA learnt in 11 years.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Any coach that doesn't want to learn I'd say is a poor one. I'd imagine both Bellyache and Bennett learn more every day than BA learnt in 11 years.

Sure thing

But we aint signing Bellamy and Bennett , If one of them were signed instead of Ryles, how many would be saying he is eager to learn ? answer >>>>>>>>>>>>> zippo

Latest posts