What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Ryles - Head coach of Parramatta from 2025

hindy111

Post Whore
So by that metric, Brad Arthur did a great job up to 2022 and then we had to let him go 18 months later.

Because a casual reader on here would conclude that BA was shit for 11 years.

2014 squad was good enough to make 8 and should of. Hayne played his best season ever. Only had to beat either Canberra or Knights who both where rubbish and flogged. FLOP
5.5/10

2015 - 12th. Watmough on huge dollars was a big money flop. Season where expected without Hayne. 5.5/10

2016 - Salary cap otherwise finish in 8th. Foran another big money flop. 3yrs in and he sneaks us into 8th spot. Still not bad considering players could of given up. 7/10

2017 - Great year. Our beat under BAs 11yrs. Close finals losses with injuries to Hoffman,Bevan and Gutherson. 8/10 could of won the comp if fully fit.

2018 - Wooden spoon with a top 6 squad after finishing top 4 yr prior. Flop Flop Flop 1/10

2019 - Where id expect with squad had. Embarrassed in finals. 6/10

2020 - 3rd and great season but come finals out week 2 and never a chance. Choked against Souths. 7/10

2021/2022 good season and credit to BA. Very unlucky in 2021 not to beat Penrith. 7.5/10 Point differential stop from giving 8s and never felt a legit chance due to no x factor unlike 2017.

And then yes 2023 5/10

2024 2/10

That's 62 points over 11yrs with an average score of 5.6/10

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
2014 squad was good enough to make 8 and should of. Hayne played his best season ever. Only had to beat either Canberra or Knights who both where rubbish and flogged. FLOP
5.5/10

2015 - 12th. Watmough on huge dollars was a big money flop. Season where expected without Hayne. 5.5/10

2016 - Salary cap otherwise finish in 8th. Foran another big money flop. 3yrs in and he sneaks us into 8th spot. Still not bad considering players could of given up. 7/10

2017 - Great year. Our beat under BAs 11yrs. Close finals losses with injuries to Hoffman,Bevan and Gutherson. 8/10 could of won the comp if fully fit.

2018 - Wooden spoon with a top 6 squad after finishing top 4 yr prior. Flop Flop Flop 1/10

2019 - Where id expect with squad had. Embarrassed in finals. 6/10

2020 - 3rd and great season but come finals out week 2 and never a chance. Choked against Souths. 7/10

2021/2022 good season and credit to BA. Very unlucky in 2021 not to beat Penrith. 7.5/10 Point differential stop from giving 8s and never felt a legit chance due to no x factor unlike 2017.

And then yes 2023 5/10

2024 2/10

That's 62 points over 11yrs with an average score of 5.6/10
Now you’re just cherry picking. What matters is Arthur’s win rate over the 11 years, which comes in at 5.1/10

Incorrect

Coach
so they just collectively said f#&k it......... we had a crack, didnt happen so we're just not going to bother anymore????
Yes... But you missed their closing sentence where they said;

"And anyway, I just looked at my bank statement...look how much I'm getting deposited to my account every month from these fools! It's more than I was getting 2 years ago when we were winning! I'm gunna buy my missus some new boobs and me a new tattoo!!"

King-Gutho94

Coach
All the attributes of a successful coach’: Eddie Jones backs Ryles’ Eels appointment

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones has lauded Parramatta’s appointment of Jason Ryles, declaring the rookie mentor has “all the attributes of a successful coach”.

Ryles pipped Josh Hannay, Dean Young and Trent Barrett for the post, signing a four-year deal to take over as the long-term replacement for Brad Arthur. The Storm assistant has previously worked alongside Jones during stints with England and Australian rugby to broaden his skills and knowledge.

Jones said he was impressed with Ryles’ willingness to learn and believes he will be successful at the blue and golds.

“I’ve got no doubt he’s ready,” Jones told this masthead from Japan. “He’s done his time as an assistant coach. He’s always been diligent and been quite adventurous. For an out-and-out league player to be involved in rugby, it’s not an easy task.

“They both have the same principles of play in getting the ball forward, but the intricacies of it are completely different. When he came over and helped with England, he was a bit of a character who knows his stuff really well.

“He develops good rapport with the players and is good with the coaches. He’s got all the attributes of a successful coach. He’s done a lot of time with [Storm coach] Craig [Bellamy], he couldn’t be better prepared.”

Jones has long held an interest in rugby league and regularly employed NRL figures as part of his staff. He couldn’t have been more impressed with Ryles.

“He’s been really purposeful in developing his coaching career,” Jones said. “When he was with the Storm, I remember we got him to come over a couple of times in November.

“He was always really engaged in the coaching process. Some guys want to coach and other guys want to be a coach; he wants to be a coach, it wasn’t just a job for him. By getting the Parramatta job, it’s a reflection of how much work he’s done.”

Jones has kept in touch with Ryles as the former NSW and Australian prop considered the Dragons and Eels jobs.

“He obviously thinks it is [a good fit], which probably makes it right,” he said. “I remember speaking to him after St George [Illawarra] and, without going through all the details, he was very intelligent about how he made the decision.

“Parramatta has obviously got the right ingredients, it’s going to be a bit of a different mix, and he understands that and will get the mix right for them.”

Jones believes Ryles has both the tactical acumen and man-management skills to lead a Parramatta resurgence.

“He’s always been really good with the players, I’d describe him as a players’ coach,” Jones said. “He engages the players, he spends time with them and Rylesy was a bit of a larrikin. But he always knew how to draw the line between being a coach and too close to the players.

Jones said Ryles’ communication skills were one of his greatest strengths.

”He has enough technical nous, but doesn’t overcomplicate things. One of the main jobs as a coach is to be a simplifier, not a complicator,” Jones said. ”I think he’s had enough experience to know what is important.

Just so that he has got a bit of counsel there. Parramatta is one of those clubs where they expect you to win. If you’re not winning there’s a fair bit of pressure there.

lucablight

First Grade
I think we went with Ryles because he’s a hard arse. He won’t be inviting merkins for dinner or baby sitting their kids. Do you think Bellamy allows the players inside his house? I reckon he sacked Olam for sending a text message outside business hours.
Bellamy allowed the cheese to give him buttsecks. Still blows my mind to this day.

Gronk

Staff member
I think we went with Ryles because he’s a hard arse. He won’t be inviting merkins for dinner or baby sitting their kids. Do you think Bellamy allows the players inside his house? I reckon he sacked Olam for sending a text message outside business hours.
I heard a on a podcast not too long ago (dunno which one but I think it included that ex RU consultant Ben Darwin) about Bellamy and Ponissi. Bellamy said that making the 8 is not hard, but in the pursuit if the trophy it can come down to unity or off field dramas being the difference.

They went on to say that when they target a kid, they make him pay his own way down to Melbourne and tell him to meet them at a random coffee shop. Then once sat down, they monitor his behaviour, his interactions and manners with cafe staff, if he looks you in the eye, stong hand shake. If you don’t tick all the boxes, you will be passed over.

Edit: it’s not this one, but similar

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Analed by a kiwi
warriors GIF

Stevie

Bench
I heard a on a podcast not too long ago (dunno which one but I think it included that ex RU consultant Ben Darwin) about Bellamy and Ponissi. Bellamy said that making the 8 is not hard, but in the pursuit if the trophy it can come down to unity or off field dramas being the difference.

They went on to say that when they target a kid, they make him pay his own way down to Melbourne and tell him to meet them at a random coffee shop. Then once sat down, they monitor his behaviour, his interactions and manners with cafe staff, if he looks you in the eye, stong hand shake. If you don’t tick all the boxes, you will be passed over.

Edit: it’s not this one, but similar

I like that in principle but imagine telling a Ponga to do that. He’d not turn up. There is a balance in talent vs behaviour otherwise people like Munster or Cheese wouldn’t have gotten a start!

Latest posts