What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremy Smith

Johns Magic

Referee
The guy is massively injury prone, and even when fit isn't a marquee quality player.

He will be an improvement on what we've got. But certainly not the type of player to turn our forward pack around.

aqua_duck

Coach
The guy is massively injury prone, and even when fit isn't a marquee quality player.

He will be an improvement on what we've got. But certainly not the type of player to turn our forward pack around.
Although Jeremy Smith ain't a bad player it reeks of desperation. He is definately a poor man's O'Donnell, older, less experienced and misses just as much football.
Jeremy Smith simply doesn't solve any of our go forward problems

Johns Magic

Referee
Signing a 30 year old that missed 11 games last year and has missed 10 games so far this year to a 3 year contract is a bizzare decision.

We need some bloody go forward. Smith is a solid player, but he has never ever been a go forward player. 62 metres a game is not what we need.

I could accept signing Smith if we signed him along with a metre-eating prop...but I just hope he isn't the last player we want.

aqua_duck

Coach
Too be quite honest with the addition of him and if we could retain Cross, we wouldnt be in fantastic shape next year..... But a pack of.

8. Cross.
9. De Gois.
10. Edwards.
11. Patterson.
12. Taia.
13. Smith.

14. Hilder.
15. Patto/Mika
16. Costigan.
17. Fa'aos/Tovo/Tolar whom ever I am missing.

I wouldnt mind that to be honest, I think Edwards is comming along greatly and if Cross isnt the only fast moving target wont he wont get smashed as much.

Smith adds some polish and aggression.

Costigan comming on with Richie may help him find some of his ticker that he seems to have lost....

Just my glass half full speech :)
Cross gets smashed because he's one dimensional. The top props don't get smashed because they've got footwork before the line and can hit, spin and offload, Cross barely has enough ability to hold on to the football, opponents know he's not going to pass, he's not going to step and subsequently line up and hammer him at will. Adding a guy like Jeremy Smith (who has always averaged less than 70m a game) won't change anything. I mean people on here bash Kaufusi from pillar to post (and fairly so), but reality is Kaufusi has more go forward than Smith. Also Smith is massively injury prone and on the wrong side of 30. Last year he only played 15 matches, and has already missed 10 matches this year after 20 rounds of football.
Also Edwards seems a real goer but he's not a metre eater and probably never really will be. IMO if we have Cross on 300k and Smith on 250k in 2012 we can forget about James Graham, Kade Snowden, etc

aqua_duck

Coach
We might get Snowden Aqua, but we can forget about Graham.
ok say no James Graham, there's still blokes like Mannah, TLL, Grant, etc who are somewhat realistic targets but we'll have to pay overs for them. I'd happily pay overs for a prop in his early to mid 20's who will only get better, rather than 2 blokes who are wrong side of 30 and don't give great go forward and are on the decline

otori

Juniors
I know. It's an outrage! I mean buying players from the top team and likely premiers (Choke-pending) of this years competition.

Call an enquiry!

I didn't say it was bad. Stop being a genius. You don't need to make two posts when no-one here said it was bad to sign St George players. It's just strange that so many players we're signing are coming from the Dragons.

Serc

First Grade
To be honest I'm still feeling a little down that we couldn't grab Luke O'Donnell :(

Yosh

Coach
Think you will find the sharks are in the mix for his signature....apparantly some in the know say he is already signed

Wah? I thought the one place in the world where you wouldn't need any more backrowers it was at the Sharks. You guys have backrowers playin in every position except halfback!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
DRAGONS fans should enjoy watching Jeremy Smith over the next few weeks as they'll be his last for the club.

Smith will announce his future after Sunday's clash against Brisbane: a line-ball decision between Newcastle and Cronulla.

The Knights have already tabled a three-year offer for the Kiwi hardman, while Cronulla are willing to upgrade from two to three seasons to round-out what would rank as one of the NRL's most intimidating back-rows alongside skipper-in-waiting Paul Gallen.

St George Illawarra always needed to shed players to accommodate Mark Gasnier's return and Smith, under contract for another year, could be the first of several to go prematurely. Take it as fact that he's being released with a heavy heart by Dragons coach Wayne Bennett, who made Smith a priority signing before he arrived at Wollongong.
LINK

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

So far.

Costigan.
Henry.
Liliki
Little O'Donnell.

To me we need 3 more decent signings to get a passing grade.

macavity

Referee
3 more "decent" signings and we will be near or over the cap dude.

I would be ecstatic to land Smith and Eastwood.

8. Eastwood
9. De Gois
10. *one of our current nuffies*
11. Taia
12. Costigan
13. Smith

14. Hilder
15. Pato

is the makings of a very good pack.

Smith $275k a year, Eastwood $250k a year, and Farrar $150k a year.

I'd like to think we could afford that after loosing Wicks, Houston, Simpson, Maddog, Ndaira, Dureau ect.......

macavity

Referee
Smith has been offered 250, Eastwood will be around 270-300 IMO - so maybe you aren't far off the mark for once.

perverse

Referee
we don't need both Smith and Eastwood imo. i'd be happier to get Eastwood and have Smith go to the Sharks.

it just seems that our current backrowers are being made to pay for the lack of go-forward, when the real problems are in the front row.