What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Beam Cup 2008 season

Roland

Juniors
I went down to the Crest today. 19-19 draw in premier league and Bulls won 42-14 in Jim Beam.

Branighan did not play in either game and I didnt see Don Thompson either.

This must the 3rd or 4th time Branighan has played for Cabra but he never stays long having left to go to Balmain, Brisbane and France before. Add Souths, saints, Cronulla and Newtown and he must be going close to some sort of record number of clubs.

jets fan

Juniors
I went down to the Crest today. 19-19 draw in premier league and Bulls won 42-14 in Jim Beam.

This must the 3rd or 4th time Branighan has played for Cabra but he never stays long having left to go to Balmain, Brisbane and France before. Add Souths, saints, Cronulla and Newtown and he must be going close to some sort of record number of clubs.

hey watched the jets game but didnt get to stick around for the rhinos game did anyone stand out in the thumping they copped

LimeTime

Juniors

luke will be playing for cabra today , he keeps comming back cause its a fantastic club ,from the under 6's right through to JB cup;-)

CABRA ROCKS

Juniors
luke will be playing for cabra today , he keeps comming back cause its a fantastic club ,from the under 6's right through to JB cup;-)
"Cabra".. One of the Best Clubs out westway..Great Tradition & Culture, Great Facilities,..Awesome grounds to watch weekend footy & even if Branighan is Back for only the Remaider of the season.. his Experience & Skills on the footy field will Rub onto the ROOKIES in that Backline...

Roland

Juniors
hey watched the jets game but didnt get to stick around for the rhinos game did anyone stand out in the thumping they copped

Most of the Rhinos backs looked alright with the ball. Some time in Premier League seems to have improved Matt Lamb's game. That big winger Berkeley seems a bit wasted on the wing. He can make a break and is hard to put down, I would alternate him between centre and the back row. In the forwards one of the benchmen Tuitama made some breaks.

The problem is stopping the Bulls when they have the ball. It was 42-6 at one stage and they had bombed a few.

LimeTime

Juniors
Cabra 36
Trys Luke Branigan , Francis Vaiotu 2,Aaron Fluke 3
goals Aaron Fluke 6
def Shellharbour 16
Trys Kieran Stewart , Ben Ellis , Blake Dureau
goals Blake Dureau 2
Players Player: Luke Branigan
Man Of The Match: Aaron Fluke

Perth Red

Post Whore
from WA Reds website

Date: 29/06/2008Reds Lose Battle In Wet

In a wet night at Members Equity Stadium the WA Bartercard Reds were unable to break through a tough and well drilled Wentworthville Magpies and went down in the end 6 – 20. It was tough to take for the home side that gave up a 4 to 11 penalty count and made too many mistakes in their own half to be able to have a chance of winning the game.
The first half saw a solid game from both teams as they fought hard to gain ascendancy. It was a battle of defense with neither side able to create any chances early on. At the five minute mark fullback Tim Clayton for Wentworthville took a penalty kick 10 metres out in front of goals to give the Magpies the early edge at 2 - 0.
For the next 10 minutes the ball was locked in the Reds half as they worked their defense and seemed to be able to stop any forward moves from the Magpies. The Reds did threaten at around 20 minutes but could not get the break needed.
The Magpies full back Tim Clayton crossed the line at the 28 minute mark and then converted to take and 8 nil lead which was the score at half time.
The second half was still tough for both sides but it was the cool heads of the Magpies which enabled them to score when it counted. The penalty count and tackles for the Reds continued to take its toll. By the 18 minute mark the Reds went to a 0 – 20 score line and they were still searching for the break they needed.
Some relief came at 25 minutes when Steve Gherardi crossed the line for the home side which was then converted by Mick Kestel. At 6 – 20 and 15 minutes to go, it was always going to be a case of not enough time for the Reds.
With three minutes to go the tension of the match showed as an all in brawl erupted with Captain Shayne McMenemy being sent off.
General Manager Bill Nosworthy was disappointed with the lack of ball the Reds had for the game.
“We have to clear up why we are on the receiving end of lop sided penalty counts, it may be time we sat with the referees to get some understanding of what we are doing wrong.”

“Our mistakes in our own half and the fact that we made about double the tackles as the opposition meant we were always going to struggle.”
Coach Chris Dever had similar views.
“We seemed to always be on the wrong end of the penalties and when both sides are doing exactly the same, it is a bit hard to understand. We also made some poor decisions when we had our chances close to the line and just played the ball the wrong way.”
Best players for the Reds were Jon Phipps and Roddy Tahu.
The Bartercard Reds will again look at their line up as they shape up for another home game next week at Members Equity Stadium at 7.30pm against the Belrose Eagles. The curtain raiser will be Joondalup Giants and Willagee Bears.

LimeTime

Juniors
source: cabra website

BLUES HOOK THEMSELVES SOME MARLIN

The Cabramatta Two Blues turned in there most clinical performance of the season as they hooked themselves the prize scalp of the third place Shellharbour Marlins with a 36-20 victory. While the scoreline finished respectable with two late tries to the Marlins, the two-blues were never really challenged and had the game well within their grasp. The Blues led from the outset with two tries in the opening 10 minutes taking them to a 12-0 lead before the Marlins got on the scoreboard with an against the run of play 50m intercept try. The two Blues extended their lead to 18-6 shortly after before the Marlins crossed for a soft try 4 minutes out from half time to reduce the lead to 18-12.
Another halftime pep talk from caretaker coach Corey Ruttle saw the Blues pile on 18 unanswered points and put the game beyond doubt before the Marlins crossed for the final two tries late in the game to add some respectability to the scoreline. The win will narrow the gap between the top 5 teams and can largely be attributed to the return of halfback Luke Brannigan who signed with the Club midweek after spending most of the season with the Newtown Jets NSW Cup side. Brannigan, who was instrumental in the Blues winning run last season, turned in a brilliant first up performance scoring a try and laying on 4 others on his way to claiming the Players Player award.
"Brannigan was outstanding for us today, he plays direct at the line and creates a lot of opportunities for his outside men. He keeps the opposition guessing everytime he has the ball and he really guides the side around the paddock well," said Ruttle.
The player that benefited from Brannigans creativity the most was eventual Man of the Match Aaron Fluke who crossed for a hat-trick of tries and kicked 6 goals from 7 attempts. His 24 point haul ensuring the two-blues were victorious. Other players to impress were centre Louis Vaiotu and Replacement forward Albert Tuara.
"I don't think we had a bad player on the field. It's hard to single any particular player out because we played really well as the one unit, but Brannigan and Fluke deserve a mention, as does Louis Vaiotu who I believe will play NRL one day and Tuara who played 55 minutes straight for us when he came on," added Ruttle.
The victory was all the more special considering Captain and Combined Jim Beam Cup Representative side front rower Chris Yates withdrew from the side on gameday after a slight tinge in his hamstring following training. The loss of Yates up front and with leading tryscorer James Trotter still out with injury, it was feared the two blues could have been vulnerable.
The Two Blues head to Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday, July 6th at 3pm to take on the Campbelltown Eagles. Make sure you come along as the Two Blues hope to make it three wins in succession.
Tries - Aaron Fluke (3), Francis Vaiotu (2) & Luke Brannigan Goals - Aaron Fluke 6 from 7.

jets fan

Juniors
Most of the Rhinos backs looked alright with the ball. Some time in Premier League seems to have improved Matt Lamb's game. That big winger Berkeley seems a bit wasted on the wing. He can make a break and is hard to put down, I would alternate him between centre and the back row. In the forwards one of the benchmen Tuitama made some breaks.

The problem is stopping the Bulls when they have the ball. It was 42-6 at one stage and they had bombed a few.

I thought Matt Lamb played premier league did he back up ?
That winger u mentioned i think he used to play at newtown would he be worth a call up if newtown have any injuries ?
I'll have to check out the game on fox is there anyway of taping it ?

Roland

Juniors
I thought Matt Lamb played premier league did he back up ?
That winger u mentioned i think he used to play at newtown would he be worth a call up if newtown have any injuries ?
I'll have to check out the game on fox is there anyway of taping it ?

Lamb did not play P/L - Joe Williams and Rhys Blayney were the halves. yes Berkeley played for Newtown and he could play P/L. I always tape the Fox game but I think it is also repeated on Friday morning.

CABRA ROCKS

Juniors
from WA Reds website

Date: 29/06/2008Reds Lose Battle In Wet

In a wet night at Members Equity Stadium the WA Bartercard Reds were unable to break through a tough and well drilled Wentworthville Magpies and went down in the end 6 – 20. It was tough to take for the home side that gave up a 4 to 11 penalty count and made too many mistakes in their own half to be able to have a chance of winning the game.
The first half saw a solid game from both teams as they fought hard to gain ascendancy. It was a battle of defense with neither side able to create any chances early on. At the five minute mark fullback Tim Clayton for Wentworthville took a penalty kick 10 metres out in front of goals to give the Magpies the early edge at 2 - 0.
For the next 10 minutes the ball was locked in the Reds half as they worked their defense and seemed to be able to stop any forward moves from the Magpies. The Reds did threaten at around 20 minutes but could not get the break needed.
The Magpies full back Tim Clayton crossed the line at the 28 minute mark and then converted to take and 8 nil lead which was the score at half time.
The second half was still tough for both sides but it was the cool heads of the Magpies which enabled them to score when it counted. The penalty count and tackles for the Reds continued to take its toll. By the 18 minute mark the Reds went to a 0 – 20 score line and they were still searching for the break they needed.
Some relief came at 25 minutes when Steve Gherardi crossed the line for the home side which was then converted by Mick Kestel. At 6 – 20 and 15 minutes to go, it was always going to be a case of not enough time for the Reds.
With three minutes to go the tension of the match showed as an all in brawl erupted with Captain Shayne McMenemy being sent off.
General Manager Bill Nosworthy was disappointed with the lack of ball the Reds had for the game.
“We have to clear up why we are on the receiving end of lop sided penalty counts, it may be time we sat with the referees to get some understanding of what we are doing wrong.”

“Our mistakes in our own half and the fact that we made about double the tackles as the opposition meant we were always going to struggle.”
Coach Chris Dever had similar views.
“We seemed to always be on the wrong end of the penalties and when both sides are doing exactly the same, it is a bit hard to understand. We also made some poor decisions when we had our chances close to the line and just played the ball the wrong way.”
Best players for the Reds were Jon Phipps and Roddy Tahu.
The Bartercard Reds will again look at their line up as they shape up for another home game next week at Members Equity Stadium at 7.30pm against the Belrose Eagles. The curtain raiser will be Joondalup Giants and Willagee Bears.
Yeah.. Pertho, Have you considered that wentys bought Down 3players from P/L.. That alone Boost the wentys JBC team Dramaticly..Attack & Defense wise.. Jacob byrne.. Alfred Betham.. Nathan Cleaver play premiere league & saw them on the line up to play Western Reds.. Thats why Teams .. Wentys & Rhinos.. can come up with surprising upsets .works great for them.. but for us we have no teams in the NSW CUP .

Roland

Juniors
Betham and Cleaver both got dropped before the previous game against Belrose, and Mark O'Grady displaced Byrne while he was injured for several weeks.

LimeTime

Juniors
MOUNTIES V CABRA GAME TO BE PLAYED MONDAY NIGHT

The Cabramatta Two-Blues will play joint competition leaders and long time nemisis Mounties in Monday night football on Monday, July 21st . The local derby is sure to attract a lot of interest with kick off from 7pm at New Era Stadium. Aftermatch Presentation in the Summertime Lounge will be followed by the band "747". The following sunday will also be a huge day for the Club in our PINK DAY in which all players will wear a pink jersey to raise funds for Breast Cancer Awareness.

breastcancerjersysau6.jpg

2 True Blues

Coach
Nice jersey!

Not sure if I'd have the guts to wear it out, though... :?

Could work for em. The other team will be missing tackles thru laughter at it. :cool:;-):lol:

False sense of security to the opposition just lookin at em, lmfao, that would have to be backed up with some return fire.lol........ ;-)

PS... Whats the half time entertainment on breast awareness day. Cheer girls milking a dairy cow whilst wearing a pink mad G, and pink fury slippers. lol.....

Last edited:

Roland

Juniors
I heard on the Fox show that Luke Gordon, who was supposed to play for the Rhinos last saturday, following demotion from Newtown, has retired even though he is only 23 years old.

Latest posts