What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan quits Raiders over Twitter pic

Should he be banned from the game for life?

• Yes

Votes: 137 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 154 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chefman21

Juniors
Aussies are a bunch of stove throwing maniacs. Right.

No. But it's footballers do have that reputation.

My point was more about the topic of the statement which was: "When is Australia going to get control of its neanderthal, beer-swilling, face-glassing, woman-bashing, stove-throwing, marauding teams of obscene footballers," the respondent wrote."

And it was about getting control of those "Neanderthal, beer-swilling, face-glassing, woman-bashing, stove-throwing... footballers". Not the once who act like humans. The one's whose netal evolution stopped at conception.

Last edited:

mrpwnd

Bench
No. But it's footballers do have that reputation.

My point was more about the topic of the statement which was: "When is Australia going to get control of its neanderthal, beer-swilling, face-glassing, woman-bashing, stove-throwing, marauding teams of obscene footballers," the respondent wrote."

And it was about getting control of those "Neanderthal, beer-swilling, face-glassing, woman-bashing, stove-throwing... footballers". Not the once who act like humans. The one's whose netal evolution stopped at conception.
Wasn't having a go at you, it was just funny that one comment.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
To a certain extent. This is the bit I agree with:

"When is Australia going to get control of its neanderthal, beer-swilling, face-glassing, woman-bashing, stove-throwing, marauding teams of obscene footballers," the respondent wrote.
"Stop the slap on the wrist punishments!"

The rest of it is a load of crap.
The stove throwing too?

Do you honestly believe that sportpeople only misbehave in Australia and in the NRL?

Compare this to the sweeping under the carpet that happens in other codes of football, and the absolute scandals that occur in other sports around the world.

You made a good list of links earlier cheffy. Are you as keen to make a naughty list for other sporting codes around the world? There's some real criminal activity there if you want to get your teeth into it.

Two wrongs certainly do not make a right, but rugby league is not alone when it comes to scandals. In fact, RL is one of the more proactive sports when it comes to handing down punishment whenever a club or players step out of line. There are numerous examples in these forums where punishment was thought to be too harsh.

Gasnier made a lewd phone call whilst in Origin camp. He was fined $50,000, lost his debut spot with NSW and made a public apology to the cameras.

Barrett did some push-ups in his undies at a private function and was forced to make a public apology in front of cameras.

Canterbury being stripped of points. Storm being stripped of premierships.

Monaghan does something stupid and vulgar in the privacy of a home and his career and reputation is ruined. The court of public opinion will see to it.

You call that a slap on the wrist?

I suppose we could always lynch him up.

mrpwnd

Bench
The stove throwing too?

Do you honestly believe that sportpeople only misbehave in Australia and in the NRL?

Compare this to the sweeping under the carpet that happens in other codes of football, and the absolute scandals that occur in other sports around the world.

You made a good list of links earlier cheffy. Are you as keen to make a naughty list for other sporting codes around the world? There's some real criminal activity there if you want to get your teeth into it.

Two wrongs certainly do not make a right, but rugby league is not alone when it comes to scandals. In fact, RL is one of the more proactive sports when it comes to handing down punishment whenever a club or players step out of line. There are numerous examples in these forums where punishment was thought to be too harsh.

Gasnier made a lewd phone call whilst in Origin camp. He was fined $50,000, lost his debut spot with NSW and made a public apology to the cameras.

Barrett did some push-ups in his undies at a private function and was forced to make a public apology in front of cameras.

Monaghan does something stupid and vulgar in the privacy of a home and his career and reputation is ruined.

Point is, people won't be satisfied until he's hanged.

shane87

Juniors
The stove throwing too?

Monaghan does something stupid and vulgar in the privacy of a home and his career and reputation is ruined. The court of public opinion will see to it.

Why compare it to anything? saying it's not as bad as raping ur granny or killing a dozen schoolkids at high speed while smashed outta ur brain is just stupid.

The full pic is on facebook and it's just plain damn revolting! not a prank, not funny and sic as it gets.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Point is, people won't be satisfied until he's hanged.
I think it's well established that people want him gone.

But three days on and the moral outrage is starting to wear a bit thin.

At the end of the day, this is a matter between Monaghan and his family.

FTR, his club are set to ditch him:

CANBERRA has been left with little choice but to sack star centre Joel Monaghan.
A host of sponsors warned the NRL club they were closely monitoring the Raiders' handling of the matter.
The Raiders, who are expected to deal with Monaghan's future at a board meeting on Monday, face the prospect of a financial backlash should they decide to keep the former NSW and Australia centre.
Monaghan's future has been under threat since an image of him in a compromising position with a dog appeared on the internet on Thursday morning. It is understood the picture was taken by a teammate at the club's Mad Monday celebrations, part of a prank which now appears likely to cost Monaghan his career.
Monaghan remains in hiding but spoke to club officials again yesterday. He has already issued an unreserved apology through his manager but it appears that show of contrition is unlikely to guarantee his future, either at the Raiders or within the NRL.
His teammates are also under the microscope over the incident, although club officials have been unable to confirm who took the picture or who was responsible for its circulation.
Canberra chief executive Don Furner was reluctant to comment yesterday but confirmed he had been contacted by sponsors expressing concern over the incident.
The club's major sponsor CFMEU was among them.
"We will wait until the investigation is fully complete," CFMEU ACT secretary Dean Hall said yesterday.
"There is no doubt something has happened that is totally inappropriate. The union doesn't condone illegal or inappropriate behaviour.
"But we also believe everyone should have the opportunity to atone (for their actions). I think it has to be a measured response that not only deals with Joel, but also his family -- who would have been really affected by this incident -- the Raiders club and the Raiders' supporters.
"All these things will be dealt with in due course. Our major concern would be the mental health of Joel. Our thoughts are with his family.
"We're offering all the support we can."
Asked whether the CFMEU was considering its support of the club, Hall said: "We're reviewing the situation but you could also say no matter what transpires our thoughts are with supporting the person involved to make sure they can see a way forward to somehow overcome what has happened."
The NRL is also closely monitoring the situation and is likely to react to Monaghan's sacking by refusing to register a contract with another club, forcing the Raiders star to head overseas if he wishes to continue his playing career.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/raiders-forced-to-axe-monaghan/story-e6frg7mf-1225948548460

And Shane87, I made a point that two wrongs don't make a right. Read posts. Cheers.

Last edited:

chefman21

Juniors
The stove throwing too?
See above. It wasn't a generalised statement. It was getting control of those who screw up. Which seems to be a problem.

No. I've even said that they don't.

Isn't this a rugby league forum? Isn't this thread on Monaghan? It made the news overseas. It trended in Twitter. Why should we limit ourselves to one country?

Then why does it keep happening? Either the penalties aren't harsh enough or the code has a culture problem. I think the latter. The players, fans and clubs need to start listening.

Monaghan does something stupid and vulgar in the privacy of a home and his career and reputation is ruined.

I don't want him lynched. I want the culture of this godforsaken code to change. I'm sick of reading in the news that some player has defecated in a hotel lobby or motel room. I'm sick of reading about players peeing on walls. I'm sick of hearing that such and such has beaten his girlfriend, or someone was caught with a bunch of his teammates having group sex with a girl as a "bonding session", was passed out drunk outside a police station or was caught drink driving. I'm sick to f**king death of having to explain to kids that their heroes aren't so great people. I'm sick of hearing parents say to their kids they can't play league and then finding out later it's because they think the game has a problem. Not that their kid might get hurt. That the game has a problem. I'm sick of reading comments by people who have no association to the game about how disgusting we are as a code - after reading only the bad stuff that happens. I'm sick of hearing it's a game for thugs played by thugs. I'm sick of the number of potential sponsors being limited, or the amount they are offering is limited, because of the image this game has. We should be at a point now where incidents like this are few and far between, not hearing comments in the media, from spectators and more that "another player is in the news for bad behaviour". We should be talking about the good things in our game, not Mad Monday celebrations.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Then why does it keep happening?
This is the first time something like this has been reported in rugby league. It is not the first time it has happened elsewhere. It is not unique to one sport and it is the fault of an individual, not the whole sport - be it league, union, afl, cricket or danish long ball.

chefman21 said:
Either the penalties aren't harsh enough or the code has a culture problem.
That's a very black and white way of looking at it. Do you think all sports have a culture problem? You must because all sports have had to deal with issues like this and much worse.
chefman21 said:
I'm sick of reading in the news that some player has defecated in a hotel lobby or motel room. I'm sick of reading about players peeing on walls. I'm sick of hearing that such and such has beaten his girlfriend, or someone was caught with a bunch of his teammates having group sex with a girl as a "bonding session", was passed out drunk outside a police station or was caught drink driving. I'm sick to f**king death of having to explain to kids that their heroes aren't so great people. I'm sick of hearing parents say to their kids they can't play league and then finding out later it's because they think the game has a problem. Not that their kid might get hurt. That the game has a problem. I'm sick of reading comments by people who have no association to the game about how disgusting we are as a code - after reading only the bad stuff that happens. I'm sick of hearing it's a game for thugs played by thugs. I'm sick of the number of potential sponsors being limited, or the amount they are offering is limited, because of the image this game has. We should be at a point now where incidents like this are few and far between, not hearing comments in the media, from spectators and more that "another player is in the news for bad behaviour". We should be talking about the good things in our game, not Mad Monday celebrations.
Seriously mate, you are listing up things to the extreme. We are never going to rub out the scandals, and quite frankly I don't follow the game to find out about Matty Johns' sex life. That's something for him and his family to sort out. If I cared about that sort of stuff I'd watched soapies and buy New Idea. I really just love the game for what happens on the field.

Up to you of course, but imo you shouldn't listen so much to the knockers. Perhaps turn off the tabloid stuff for a while.

The NRL and clubs have a set of standards and they'll deal with that crap.

Kiki

First Grade
who gives a sh*t what random people on the internet are saying in other countries? i hate the way Australians have this constant need to see what the rest of the world thinks. it's so provincial and embarrassing.

we have this inferiority complex that no other country does. pathetic.

i couldn't give two sh*ts what a few Saffas think about Australia or rugby league. and if they want to play the who's country has the worst moral record, oh bitches....bring it ON.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Up to you of course, but imo you shouldn't listen so much to the knockers. Perhaps turn off the tabloid stuff for a while.

Most of us here are and will be life long fans. What he's talking about isn't about us. It's about sponsors thinking twice about putting money into the sport. It's about the parents of a future superstar deciding between putting him in league, or afl or soccer.

That's why these scandals are so important and why all the stakeholders involved, the nrl, the clubs and the players themselves need to work harder.

We're not asking or expecting players to behave perfectly, to never put a foot out of line. Players will occasionally say silly things, or get in a bit of a fight in a bar, these things happen. But when it comes to the extreme things, we have to aim for them never to happen again, the standard should be set at "perfection". No nrl player should ever hit a woman again, rape a woman, have sex with animals, or be corrupt in anyway. Doing those kinds of things (or being involved at all, like taking a photo) are inexcusable and those kinds of things should have a ironclad 1 strike and your out permanently policy.

Kiki

First Grade
That would work if they were all like that. But they're not. We have 16 teams with 25 guys each, I reckon 20+ on each team are great blokes. They work with charities without ringing the paper to take a photo of them while they do it, they spend Friday nights with their wives/girlfriends. A good night out for them is a quiet beer with close mates and a few hours spent playing Wii. This is the vast majority of players who go through their entire career without ever making a headline for the wrong reason.

A minority of them are dickheads, and they'll always be dickheads, they'd be dickheads if their livelihoods were endangered, they'd be dickheads if they worked at Maccas. We just find out about their dickheadedness because they work in a high profile job.

THIS. THIS!!

working in footy has given me a better perspective on this.

you know that episode of the Simpsons with Stampy the elephant?

"some elephants are just jerks"

that's the same for footy players. some of them are the greatest guys you could ever want to meet. some of them are dickheads. most of them are just regular dudes with some amazing qualities and some flaws.

just.....human.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol.

Isn't South Africa listed as the one of the most violent countries in the world?

Perhaps we should take a leaf out of their books.

chefman21 said:
But perhaps the most savage international response came after an article posted about the incident on the newstime.co.za website, among a string of South African media outlets that had the story.

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
yep. and that's just the current day. the fact the government spent billions on the soccer World Cup when millions of (black) South Africans are living in abject poverty and being denied life saving AIDS drugs....let's not even start on apartheid.

but yes, one gross photo is obviously worse.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's about sponsors thinking twice about putting money into the sport.
That's why Monaghan is gone from the Raiders. We have a robust sponsorship in the game and they do decide what is acceptable to their consumers. It is a professional game - and we have to take the positives and negatives from that sponsorship.

Robbo De Lechez

Juniors
who gives a sh*t what random people on the internet are saying in other countries? i hate the way Australians have this constant need to see what the rest of the world thinks. it's so provincial and embarrassing.

we have this inferiority complex that no other country does. pathetic.

Man, NZ is just the same and I suspect it is probably worse here. Symptomatic of being a relatively young/small nation I suppose.

Goddo

Bench
There hasn't been much on TV news about this issue. I guess the reasons being:

its the off-season
its a Canberra player (not Sydney or Brisbane)
and you can't show that sort of image through the day (or there isn't sufficient media to justify a story).

or maybe it has been seen as a stupid prank and not really news worthy.

Latest posts