What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey considering Origin come back

jack daniels

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
In the scheme of international sport they are horribly under paid. It is the most physically demanding sport in the world.

Thats a nice fictional world you live in there

Knightmare

Coach
Timmah said:
:sleeper:

This Joey stuff is even more tiring than SBW. I dare say he's past his best now - his golden days were back in 00-02 with that premiership. That's not to say he's not still a great player, but he'll struggle to save Origin - he's against Lockyer. Last time Johns laced his footy boots on, that man orchestrated a 50-6 drubbing of his side.

Mind you, Newcastle were not at full strength that night. The last time Joey lined up against Locky in an Origin match, however :crazy:

DeeGan

Bench
Why is it defender's of messrs Johns or Lockyer can't confirm a poor performance without offering an excuse the majority of the time? :lol:

"Mind you, Newcastle were not at full strength that night"

With a copy David Middleton's 2006 Annual in the office, the Newcastle Knights side read:

K. Gidley, Carney, M. Gidley, Carmont, Quinn, Mullen, Johns, Perry, Quigley, Woolnough, Reynoldson, Newton, Tanner Res; Davico, Smith, Brown, Lowrie

No, not their strongest line-up missing Buderus and Simpson though strong all the same for a Semi-final where excuses are left in the sheds.

Newcastle were caned, end of story.

The last time Johns played Origin NSW won 32-10. A drubbing where Johns starred for NSW that series. End of story.

Disco

Bench
If Joey wants to make a comeback, fine

But he must decide before the season starts and if he makes himself available then its for all rep footy, he cant pick and choose and umm and ahh

sydraider

First Grade
Looks like Joey will do anything to get away from Brian Smith.

They were saying on fox sports long lunch that he will consider his options after the first 6 rounds, if his body is holding up, his form good and the knights going well, it could well be on the cards.

sydraider

First Grade
Now Joey has come out saying it was a media beat up and is not considering a return to SOO.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Knightmare said:
Mind you, Newcastle were not at full strength that night. The last time Joey lined up against Locky in an Origin match, however :crazy:

Exactly... how long ago?

= he's past his best.

Timmah

Staff member
sydraider said:
Now Joey has come out saying it was a media beat up and is not considering a return to SOO.

Of course he bloody well has. The Tele's pathetic source was "he's been telling friends and relatives". F**k me the media must be struggling if they need to make up crap.

Timmah

Staff member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21152966-23214,00.html

Joey won't be bouncing back

February 01, 2007
ANDREW Johns today ruled out a State of Origin comeback for New South Wales and said he was only committed to his NRL club, Newcastle Knights, this year.

The halfback denied a report in Sydney newspaper, The Daily Telegraph, this morning which said he was contemplating a return for the BLues in the 2007 Origin series.

Johns retired from representative football prior to last year's Origin series, which was won by Queensland.

While he admitted it was difficult watching the Blues surrender the Origin trophy, the 32 year old confirmed he was not interested in playing for them this year to try and reverse the result.

Johns said his Knights' contract has a clause preventing him from playing representative football and his main concern will be winning another Premiership with the club.

"There's a clause in my contract saying I cannot play rep football which pretty much puts it to bed," Johns said on Southern Cross Radio today.

"I'm more interested in just playing for the Knights and hopefully winning a Premiership in one of my last years."

Johns is contracted to Newcastle until the end of 2008, although it is possible he could retire at the end of this year and finish his career in the UK.

The Knights last won the NRL Premiership in 2001, and have only won one other title previously to that, in 1997.

AAP

Azkatro

First Grade
Country comes first. Then state. Then club. That is how it should be IMO. Of course when the club puts food on your table, it becomes a different matter.

I honestly think it's a huge shame when players retire from rep commitments for the benefit of their club when they're still good enough to get picked, but it's the reality of the situation. Countless players have done it and I've never fully agreed with the decision.

If players got paid what they were worth in rep games we might have less of a problem with this, but the simple fact is that "rep retirement" paves the way for mass speculation, and why shouldn't it? When a player comes out of retirement and does well, it's momentous.

DeeGan

Bench
DeeGan said:
A few things:

1. This is the Daily Telegraph and Dean Ritchie's work that has sent the morning talkback radio's in to a frenzy. As per usual, a "source" has relayed this information - there are no direct quotes from Andrew Johns himself.

Andrew Johns has stated this is likely to be his last season in the NRL in which he may look at seeking a release from the final year of his contract to play for Warrington - I cannot see Johns or the Knights moving ahead with any such Origin comeback. Johns for mine will put all his efforts in to bring one last title to Newcastle.

Dean Ritchie and the Daily Telegraph strike gold again! :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
very happy johns has confirmed this to be a media beat up
one of the more exciting things im looking forward to this season is seeing what they do with the blues halves. No Johns. No Barrett. Finch surely blacklisted. Lack of faith in Orford for big matches. If a youngster like Carney or Mullen have a break out start to the season, its not beyond the realms of possibility that they might snear themselves a sky blue jersey

Danish

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
i reckon the club owes him more than he owes them. He could have walked on a number of occassions for much more money, but he has stayed a loyal one club man. thats pretty rare these days.

You ARE aware he is the highest paid player in the league, with special concessions from the NRL to allow him to be so right??

He bent the knights over royally.

I was sure I read when he signed his last contract that 2006 was to be his last year of rep footy.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Danish said:
You ARE aware he is the highest paid player in the league, with special concessions from the NRL to allow him to be so right??

He bent the knights over royally.

Spot on. He rapped the knights in every way imagineable
Would have loved to see the knights and NRL hold their ground and wish him well in union. I imagine if that happened Johns would still be a league lad and a knight, however on a little less dosh, and for that the knights might have a better team for this coming season... ohwell

Mr Saab

Referee
Raider_69 said:
very happy johns has confirmed this to be a media beat up
one of the more exciting things im looking forward to this season is seeing what they do with the blues halves. No Johns. No Barrett. Finch surely blacklisted. Lack of faith in Orford for big matches. If a youngster like Carney or Mullen have a break out start to the season, its not beyond the realms of possibility that they might snear themselves a sky blue jersey

And a sweet 3-0 victory to the Maroons