What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey swears officials got it all wrong -SMH

t-ba

Post Whore
Roy said:
At the end of the day all they are, are words. This is supposed to be the toughest game in the world and people are having a whine about f**ks and merkins and so on.

The refereeing is becoming a joke, it’s like a bad bit of machinery at a work site everyone says it needs to be fixed but nothing happens until someone gets killed. Imo it’s the same here nothing will happen until it costs someone a spot in the gf or the gf itself.

2004 GF qualifier. In addition to Chris Walker playing at the ball from an offside position from a knock-on, the cowboys also packed a scrum in the dying seconds without time being blown off...

1995 GF- Don't get me started...

It's not becoming 'a joke.' All of these new technological features have put referees under extreme scrutiny. The standard is superior to what it was 10 years ago and probably on a par with what it was five years ago...there's more evaluation these days.

roopy

Referee
Anthony Quinn did the same thing a few weeks ago - and no one said the penalty given against him wasn't enough punishment.

If Joey pays a bigger price - it is just because he is Joey and they are making an example of him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Iafeta said:
If a player makes a mistake, can we all march down to the sideline and call them a f'n c or an f'n merkin?

It doesn't give us that right. Nor does it give the players the right to abuse referees. Much like referees, players are very, very open to error. Even lord Johns himself.
Are you sure you're trying to tell me this?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
roopy said:
Anthony Quinn did the same thing a few weeks ago - and no one said the penalty given against him wasn't enough punishment.

If Joey pays a bigger price - it is just because he is Joey and they are making an example of him.
Was he penalised for dissent in the match? As far as I could tell, he wasn't even marched 10 metres. I don't really care about him getting punished... although others have copped punishment for less. For me, its the unchecked abuse of match officials which is more the issue, and the post-match attitude and the apparent belief that some players are entitled to vent their anger at the referee. The fact is that no player is entitled to abuse match officials, regardless of the reason.

What did you think of Hagan's comment: "I think he would be entitled to swear at him"
?

Stranger

Coach
Iafeta said:
So why do various stadias promote "Sports Ears"?

It's a two strand thing - communication between referees, and information for the crowd. They have commercial contracts for Sports Ears.

As others have said, no microphones, microphones, it doesn't matter, the language used was uncalled for and needs strong discipline.

They promote it because of the $$ involved with it, and the Referee's association get a slice of that pie. The ref's don't usually give an expliantion to the capatains ffs, why should they face up to the crowd? They are there to do a job, nothing more, and they should have to face the critisim that comes with a sh*tty preformance like all other people in the work-force. Look at what an out of form Footy player cops in todays media.

Strong discipline? Why because he is Andrew Johns and he is supposed to be a role model?

If he cops anything more than Quinn did its a dead set joke.

Stranger

Coach
What did you think of Hagan's comment: "I think he would be entitled to swear at him"

I think we all know that Hagan is an idiot. But as a coach it is his duty to stick by his players.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That's not really an answer. Do you agree with his comments?
Do you think Andrew Johns is entitled to abuse the match officials?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If that is the mesage that is coming from the coach it is not hard to see where the players behaviour is eminating from.

Stranger

Coach
Being a match official myself, having to put up with far worse than FG officials (parents :lol:), i do believe that ref's should be able to be criticized. In the heat of a game i understand it happens as i am also a player myself.

I agree that the officials f**ked up, and i dont care if a player uses language, the CAPTAIN should be able to have a word or two to the ref, but even in todays game that aint going to happen... but then again if the player isnt able to direct the anger from a bad call towards an official, who can they tell? There should be some point that the players should be able to fire a shot at an official that made a mistake.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Stranger said:
Being a match official myself, having to put up with far worse than FG officials (parents :lol:), i do believe that ref's should be able to be criticized. In the heat of a game i understand it happens as i am also a player myself.

I agree that the officials f**ked up, and i dont care if a player uses language, the CAPTAIN should be able to have a word or two to the ref, but even in todays game that aint going to happen... but then again if the player isnt able to direct the anger from a bad call towards an official, who can they tell? There should be some point that the players should be able to fire a shot at an official that made a mistake.
Sure. Although I'm referring more to the post-'heat of the battle' attitude.

In any case, and again, that's really not an answer to the question: Do you think Andrew Johns is entitled to abuse match officials?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Iafeta said:
Nope - adding onto what you'd already said.
lol. OK, A little hard to tell. I blame any misunderstandings on the heat of the battle.

Iafeta

Referee
roopy said:

It should have gone further.

If Quinn hadn't have got away with it, I'd suggest Joey would have refrained himself. They set a very poor precedent.

However, two wrongs don't make a right and it's time to end the verbal abuse of officials.

Stranger

Coach
If i were to abuse a player on the other team, would anybody care?
Why are officials so much different?

Iafeta

Referee
Stranger said:
They promote it because of the $$ involved with it, and the Referee's association get a slice of that pie. The ref's don't usually give an expliantion to the capatains ffs, why should they face up to the crowd? They are there to do a job, nothing more, and they should have to face the critisim that comes with a sh*tty preformance like all other people in the work-force. Look at what an out of form Footy player cops in todays media.

Strong discipline? Why because he is Andrew Johns and he is supposed to be a role model?

If he cops anything more than Quinn did its a dead set joke.

Quinn should have been punished, also.

That was an error.

However, after setting a poor precadent they need to right that wrong through a suspension.

Iafeta

Referee
Stranger said:
If i were to abuse a player on the other team, would anybody care?
Why are officials so much different?

Because there used to be a gentlemen's agreement (and in some codes, in writing) that referee's were treated with respect. Touching, abusing a referee was taboo.

The way it should be. Their decisions are final, thats it.

Stranger

Coach
Willow said:
Do you think Andrew Johns is entitled to abuse match officials?

I believe the captian should be able to, especially after a sh*tty call.

However, leave it to the post-match conference.

Stranger

Coach
Iafeta said:
Because there used to be a gentlemen's agreement (and in some codes, in writing) that referee's were treated with respect. Touching, abusing a referee was taboo.

The way it should be. Their decisions are final, thats it.

Their decisions are final, but shouldn't they face up to the consequences of a bad call?

The Ref's dont treat the players with respect most of the time, why should they be forced to treat the refs with respect?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Stranger said:
I believe the captian should be able to, especially after a sh*tty call.

However, leave it to the post-match conference.
I'm not sure if you're reading the question. But I'll take that as a 'yes'.
That is you believe that Andrew Johns is entitled to abuse match officials.
I can't agree.

Nor can I agree with your other comment that players abuse each, so therefore they match officials should be abused too.
Referees are not allowed to call players 'f**king c**ts'.

Latest posts