What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Morris...

Utey

Coach
Its proven Caylo is better at the front, leading from the front. But I think having a full offseason training there he could be a good thing in the backrow. Always seemed to end up there forcefully.

lucablight

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I thought Cayless went well in the second row. Made better metres, and had more of a chance to offload.

...........not a personal attack on you but where did you get this idea from? Cayless is horrible in the 2nd row. He's a prop and nothing else.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I can't remember if it was 2003 or 2004, but he played a few matches in the second row and he made quite a few linebreaks and offloads.

I thought he went well.

Last year, from memory, he tried it a few times and sucked.

But before that he played well there.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Bazal, i've always admired your opinion, but Morris for whom i haven't got abig wrap on was one of our bets last night.

I agree he's not a natural 5/8, but at the moment who would you put into 5/8 and be confident he could do the job.

Give Morris a break, he's not a match winner but he's player better then most our guys at present.

Ps where have you been?

Bazal

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Bazal, i've always admired your opinion, but Morris for whom i haven't got abig wrap on was one of our bets last night.

I agree he's not a natural 5/8, but at the moment who would you put into 5/8 and be confident he could do the job.

Give Morris a break, he's not a match winner but he's player better then most our guys at present.

Ps where have you been?

I'm not saying he was horrible on Friday, he went ok in horrible conditions. But that in itself is the problem, he only ever goes ok. I just think that whilst Jeremy Smith is not a match winner by any means, he is a better option than Morris at five-eighth as he gets the ball out wide quickly and efficiently, whereas Morris doesn't appear to be able to make the decision to keep a movement going. Whenever the ball gets to him he takes an age to make a decision and it is hurting our attacking movements. When Parra win games they do it off the back of sweeping backline movements that bring our dangerous players into the game. We finally have some go forward in matches but we are still struggling to score points because our potent backs aren't getting quality ball. The first half against the Roosters was a good example, we went forward and then attacked out on the edges to good effect, and I just think that Morris detracts from our ball moving ability at five-eighth. Don't get me wrong, I'd still have him in the side as he is a damn good hooker and can fill in almost anywhere if need be, he's even played wing. But I just think he is probably our second or even third best five-eighth...

James_Hardie

Juniors
Bazal said:
Wow people are imaginative on here, really they are.

. Morris made some decent kicks but the majority was done by J Smith. Riddell is playing poorly and needs a stint in reserves. God some people are f**king stupid, if you haven't got a logical argument then shut up, honestly...

You want a logical arguement, here is one for you....

You keep saying Jeremy Smith did the majority of good kicks for us on friday night. He kicked the ball 5 times out of 39 completed sets! 5 times! That is ridiculous! And only 1 kick, the short kick for Hayne was any good. He had two cracks at that kick, the other went into touch when if he had err'd on the short side and kept it in play, it would have mounted even more pressure on the opposition.

So how can you say he was the better kicker, when he wasn't even sharing the kicking work load?

He stands out wide doing nothing. Didn't organise, didn't follow the ruck, didn't say boo. Was indecisive with the ball and when he did get the ball on the last tackle he made multiple bad decisions.

On the other hand, the guy you started the thread about, Morris, carried us. Considering he had no support from his half, he produced a reasonable kicking game and chased everything. He stood up when the call went out for a drop goal and delivered.

Jeremy Smith stunk up deluxe on Friday night, and it was that we had to
carry him around as a player with zero ability to impact the game that we lost.

Daneel

Bench
James_Hardie said:

You keep saying Jeremy Smith did the majority of good kicks for us on friday night. He kicked the ball 5 times out of 39 completed sets! 5 times! That is ridiculous! And only 1 kick, the short kick for Hayne was any good. He had two cracks at that kick, the other went into touch when if he had err'd on the short side and kept it in play, it would have mounted even more pressure on the opposition.

So how can you say he was the better kicker, when he wasn't even sharing the kicking work load?

He stands out wide doing nothing. Didn't organise, didn't follow the ruck, didn't say boo. Was indecisive with the ball and when he did get the ball on the last tackle he made multiple bad decisions.

On the other hand, the guy you started the thread about, Morris, carried us. Considering he had no support from his half, he produced a reasonable kicking game and chased everything. He stood up when the call went out for a drop goal and delivered.

I couldn't agree more. :) :) :)

Bazal

Post Whore
James_Hardie said:

I'd like to know where you got the stats, but if they are correct then my eyes must have decieved me. Not hard in those conditions. But all that aside, you keep saying Jeremy Smith is sh*t, that Morris carried us. Please prove it, with reference to:
-The backline movements Morris has buggered up over the last 13 weeks.
-The disjointed way Morris carries out backline movements
-The amount of time Morris actually takes deciding what play to put on
-The fact that our best attack of the year, Roosters game aside(where our attack was based on going forward, what a novel idea that is this season), was when Tim Smith and Jeremy Smith were our halves and Morris was at hooker.

John Morris is a very good hooker. Tim Smith is a very good halfback. Jeremy Smith is a good distributing five-eighth, which is what Parramatta need given our major try scoring strength is our back five. Why not play them all in their preferred positions? Surely that would benefit the side in the long run? Hell, why not give Blake Green a go at 6 if you don't want J Smith there? Neither would be something I would object to, I just don't think Morris is going to benefit us very much at five-eighth given his apparent inability to sense the flow of a game and make split second decisions.

jk13

First Grade
it all comes down to morris's passing game. He hasn't got one. Nor is he a line breaking, running 5/8. hes a solid player but hes not the answer. we've got nothing to lose at the moment, bring in green or other young 5/8 talent now. as i dont believe lyons will be the answer for 5/8 either. lets see if our youth can step up, cause realistically we may require a 5/8 just as bad as a prop next year. Only problem is you dont want a new 5/8 when the halfbacks r travelling ordinary. they're cloning sheep, why cant we clone a new brett kenny.

Eelementary

Post Whore
jk13 said:
it all comes down to morris's passing game. He hasn't got one. Nor is he a line breaking, running 5/8. hes a solid player but hes not the answer. we've got nothing to lose at the moment, bring in green or other young 5/8 talent now. as i dont believe lyons will be the answer for 5/8 either. lets see if our youth can step up, cause realistically we may require a 5/8 just as bad as a prop next year. Only problem is you dont want a new 5/8 when the halfbacks r travelling ordinary. they're cloning sheep, why cant we clone a new brett kenny.

Probably not. But give him a go - David is a big fella, and always gives his all.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Eelementary said:
Probably not. But give him a go - David is a big fella, and always gives his all.
lol. i was wondering when jamie changed his name to david but now i see.

Latest posts