What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns arrested and cautioned in London

antonius

Coach
Alex28 said:
Thanks Cram - that was really what I was saying however it was all being clouded by the mental condition discussion.

I'm not doubting his condition and I am not doubting the reasons why he felt the need to turn to drugs. I am suggesting that if people knew there were problems - not just drugs but also alcoholism as well - and they knew he wasn't dealing with things properly more should have been done to look after his welfare. The club has a duty of care to look after the players and it doesn't matter that it is your key player - the onus was on the club to look him.

I don't see Hagan's comments as a sledge at the club - I see it as an admission that he had very few options but to keep playing him no matter what his mental state was. The team had no other options for playmaking, the club needed him for marketing and publicity. It shows how poorly the likes of Hagan, Sargeant, et al managed the team during the Joey era.

Even his management right to the end didn't do things for his own sake - Fordham was apparently asking Matt and Andrew not to do the interview because his book would suffer for it.

The people looking after him have been pretty ordinary in my view. There is more to life than footy and cash, however those around him seem to have put that first in front of his mental state and welfare.

That is also what I was getting at.

roopy

Referee
I have been working in the mental health industry since i left school at 17 - and i really should understand that people who have never had the unfortunate experience to be 'touched' by mental illness don't 'get' it.

I've decided to stop worrying about it - i know enough about it to know that Dr Halpin in particular has made sure the best possible health care was provided - a far better standard of treatment than i have seen a public patient get in 30 years - and i suspect better than the vast majority of private patients as well.

TooheysNew

Coach
emot-worship.gif

Dazzraider

Juniors
it's out now and nearly forgotten already, good timing as most have their minds set on finals footy.
well he can go and smoke his crack whatever he does now since his not playing anymore.