What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jones experiment

Is the Stacey Jones experiment a failure

• We have no other option

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • No, he's going good.

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Yes, but we can remember the good times

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • Yes, reputation in tatters

Votes: 15 26.8%

• Total voters

Rich102

Staff member
Far from being the answer, Jones has now become a major part of the problem.

Look, going back to the end of last year; the forwards were OK (backrowers didn't offer much strikepower.) but we really needed a halves combo.
So what was the recruitment policy? Buy a flashy winger, a second-rower just like the ones we had, a centre who wanted to be a stand-off and three halfbacks. Foran hasn't been seen and is off again. I haven't seen Heremaia play and Jones is just too old.

I thought Fien was going OK. At least he was a fighter. But he had to go to give Jones more space. Right!

It is a real shame Tate is injured again - he isn't a centre but he is a fighter. However anybody that thinks that he is going to recover and become a top-class centre is dreaming! He is a winger, and if he comes back should replace Kemp (if he is still taking up that spot.)

So out total replacemnt policy revolves around signing players to play in positions they would like to play in - not which they have proven themselves in. (Except for Stacey and Lillyman - did he really play origin?)

I honestly don't know where we go from here. When your sole game plan is "kick it to Manu" there aren't many options left.

Skinner

Coach
I honestly don't know where we go from here. When your sole game plan is "kick it to Manu" there aren't many options left.

You know, poor Manu has been stuck with that game plan since he was
about six years of age.....except then it was "pass the ball to Manu" :lol:

Good sense again Rich in what you say. As you rightly point out, the recruitment plan has been mind blowingly dumb. In the corporate world, those responsible for those sorts of decisions would be promoted to a position where they could do no more harm.

Last season I was touting for Aaron H to get a run. I haven't seen him play this year, but I'm still covinced he would give it a fair shake. He is a multi-dimensional player which immediately sets him apart from the flock of sheep there at the moment.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Epic failure. Not sure anyone that we have at the club is the answer either (in the short term). May as well chuck in Heremaia or someone, because Jones is not going to get any better. Even Foran would be a step up.

Meth

Staff member
I'd have to put myself in the category of 'yes, but we can remember the good times'- however, if the experiment goes on for too much longer, my memory might start fading.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Left side D was crap because of J-Ro, but that's pretty much expected now.

Right side D was a dog's breakfast because noone trusted Jones to be able tackle any of the men thrown at him, putting the whole structure in disarray.

Rich102

Staff member
Ummm. I've just had a nasty thought.

Stacey's having a season he'd rather forget.

Ivan's fired Fien

Both are stubborn men.

Does this mean we are going to be subjected to the same thing next year?:oops:

Scorpio30

Bench
Its sad that Im slowly forgetting how good he was....Why oh why did he have to come back...Reputation = Butchered.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Had to have a laugh at the Butcher the other day

Was on BSport, doing his usual preview of the match, and said

"You know the Bronco's are desperate when they bring a bloke out of retirement"

I think he realised exactly what he said just after it came out :lol:

Is the jones experiment a failure?

Maybe.

But i don' see any other option at #7. Fein was never going to help us go the distance, heremia is a journeyman, isaac john isn't made of the 'right stuff', Liam Foran seemed out of his depth in auckland club league and shaun johnson is two years off being anywhere near ready.

I dont know where we go from here.

Iafeta

Referee
My biggest fear was from the comments Liam Foran made when he signed. He was adamant he was the man, he was confident he had the skills to organise our team, he talked a very good game. It sounded to me he had been given express permission to talk himself up and that he'd get a good chance here. He had no chance once Jones was resigned. The worst thing is Stacey couldn't run in 2004, and Foran had just completed U20s. On one hand we're converting Moon into a five eighth, and on the other hand we have a bloke whose already tasted first grade, was a junior rep sensation, and then we place this massive barricade in his way. If you could read Liam's personality from his comments you could tell that he thought he was going to get a good chance and he was confident he'd succeed. From what I hear he's going very well for Newtown at the moment, kicking game is extremely accurate, as is his passing game, and above all else he has speed. Stacey's speed went out after he got injured in that Kiwis debacle of 2003. Yet 5 years on we entrust him with the duties of guiding the team around.

This season has been a horror of short visioned decisions. I have a feeling young Foran will bite us hard. He was someone who wanted to play for the Warriors, and could have attracted his extremely talented brother across also, and we decided to screw him around for a pensioner.

I'll put my hand up and admit I fell for the hype after round 2, I guess just like the coach did and the management did. They've had such faith in this bloke that they've axed Rovelli, Witt, Fien and Foran all this year, I guess as a combination to make him feel comfortable and secure and also because those blokes wanted to offer something and had no chance. Rovelli I can live with, Fien I can live with as he needs someone like Bennett to assist him I think, Witt... I think he'd be good for us right now (and, I can't believe his lack of willingness to play #7 when he owned that jersey at Parramatta, and the 3-4 games he played there for us he was I thought extremely good), plus I reckon his goal kicking gets us wins over Saints and Melbourne away which puts us in an awesome position going into the bye full of confidence, but Foran... I'm scratching my head most on that one. I don't rate Isaac John, I do rate Shaun Johnson but its next year at least not this year, and we're now stuck with a bloke playing on crutches. I don't blame Stacey, if I was offered a job I had done well in the past I'd have a crack at it, but I think John Hart, Ivan Cleary and Wayne Scurrah really should take a good hard look at themselves, admit they made an error, and admit Stacey's best role at the club was assisting... not hindering... young halves.

playdaball

Bench
I was stoked when we signed Foran, I had seen a few of his games and he looked class.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Unlike some of the punters on this site I saw Foran play this year for Ellerslie in Auckland's Divison 2. The standard there is about 6 or more tiers below NRL. I admit it was only 1 game vs. Waiheke (hardly a powerhouse) ... he was VERY average.

The guy I was with just about choked when I told him that the # 7 was in the Warriors squad.

Time will tell on this decision and others.

Last edited:

Skinner

Coach
I've said it before but I'll say it again. Unlike som of the punters on this site I saw Foran play this year for Ellerslie in Auckland's Divison 2. The standard there is about 6 or more tiers below NRL. I admit it was only 1 game vs. Waiheke (hardly a powerhouse) ... he was VERY average.

The guy I was with just about choked when I told him that the # 7 was in the Warriors squad.

Time will tell on this decision and others.

I've seen it time and time again. When a team or a player plays down in
grade, they play accordingly. It just seems to be a phenomanon. Conversely, when they are up a grade, they go really well.

Latest posts