What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Davis

GoParra

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Please don't mention that Word Burt in the same line as talented young players. Ohh I feel dirty just saying the word Burt its just as bad as saying Kusto and Caridge oooohhhhhh.

Far far too harsh

Pazza

First Grade
If Davis is as good or better [-o< than Soliola, then he is definately ready for first grade.

bartman

Immortal
I hope so, but there were similar wraps and articles all about Thorman too. It all depends how Davis is used at Parra, and if he develops his potential, otherwise he could just be another guy in Premier League that gets a hard time because he didn't live up to our hopes/hype?

Utey

Coach
Being a halfback or centre are different. With Davis being a centre he can play his natural game and is likely going to be played in the right position, as in Thorman he was unable to adjust to Halfback when he was a pivot. I hope the best for him and we all know what his capable of. I dont expect him to break frist grade immediately but sooner then later would be good.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Davis is still only a kid, and I dare say will have to bide his time in Flegg or Prems until 06 at the earliest, it remains to be seen how special he is, but I'm getting a little worried by everyones expectations of instant firstgrade birth for round 1.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think he will be there in 05. His young but if he can handle it why not.

all I'm saying is don't expect him to be there straight away, he may be a great player and true athlete, however he's only young and the kid has to face his first season having to live in a different country away from his family, and that can affect the kids mental approach to the game. He gets over that first hurdle? he's halfway there as far as I'm concerned.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
Well alot of people thought that Tonga was that good last year that he should of played more game time.

well they were probably right!!

but I get the feeling, he's a slightly better player this year than lastyear ;-)

Utey

Coach
He wasnt half the player he was last year then he was this year. He can defend this year.

Im sorry mate but I was pushing for him to be played inthe 3/4 last year with vaeleki on the Wing. Everyone says he had crap defence the game that they all remember was that Canberra game where we were flogged by 50 or so. Tonga was out of position and it was one of his 1st games. He is a left sided 3/4 and does make a difference in 1st grade when u make your debut.

Utey

Coach
I really didnt preference him but what a mistake that was. He played really well vs Kiwis. Still we cant get him back now. :x

Eelementary

Post Whore
Jake the snake said:
Im sorry mate but I was pushing for him to be played inthe 3/4 last year with vaeleki on the Wing. Everyone says he had crap defence the game that they all remember was that Canberra game where we were flogged by 50 or so. Tonga was out of position and it was one of his 1st games. He is a left sided 3/4 and does make a difference in 1st grade when u make your debut.

He's a centre. Like wingers, IMHO they CANNOT be played out of position. It's just silly to say that because you have a good left foot step you should playleft wing or whatever. If you cannot play on both sides, you may as well give u.

Look at Lyon - he always played 3 for us, but 4 for NSW and Australia, yet he STILL carved.

If Tonga couldn't hanlde playing on the right with us well, then....

Pazza

First Grade
eelavation said:
Davis is still only a kid, and I dare say will have to bide his time in Flegg or Prems until 06 at the earliest, it remains to be seen how special he is, but I'm getting a little worried by everyones expectations of instant firstgrade birth for round 1.

if he is as good as Soliola, then he is way past JF and would carve up in PL.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pazza said:
eelavation said:

if he is as good as Soliola, then he is way past JF and would carve up in PL.

we're basing his form on 3 or 4 games we've heard about, you don't have to be einstein to work out that first grade is a completely different ball game, and just remember Soliola hasn't been tried in firsts himself. I hope he atleast gets a shot in the trials like what Smith did with Delaney and Pai earlier this year, that'll give us a clear indication as to whether his ready or not.

Latest posts