What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Davis

Pazza

First Grade
Ive seen Soliola play on a few occasions. I know Ricky Stuart rates him very highly and wanted him to play FG. If we got a guy better than him i am only being logical and guessing he is quite capable of playing firt grade. I totally agree with you but interms of seeing what Davis can do in the pre season trails. I wouldn't give him the number 3 straight away. But we need a young guy to step up and take daves spot. Burt just isnt defencively good enough to play centre.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Jake the snake said:
eelementary

then..... What?? Let him Go? well we did that And Egg is on our faces.

No no no no no ... that's not what I meant.

I was simply stating that I believe left and right wingers/centres are eccentric additions. I believe that a good NRL winger/centre needs to be able to play on either side of the field, or their value is next to nothing.

Last year a lot of people defended Tonga's first game against Canberra by stating he was on the wrong side of the field. Whilst he is a tremendous talent who just got overwhelmed on his debut, I really think his playing on the right didn't make any difference to his game.

The Colonel

Immortal
The thing with "giving the young blokes a go" is that to be successful it helps if they are coming into a team playing successfully and with confidence. Put Hunt or Sonny in the Eels this year and while they would eventually acheive their potential they wouldn't have shone like they did at the Broncos and Dogs. Don't expect miracles from these kids and don't expect them to be walk up starts. Let the top side build and then put them in. Confidence breeds confidence...

Eelementary

Post Whore
True, but if the kids are good enough, there are numerous reasons why I believe they can make it:

* Next year, we SHOULD (at least on paper) have a great forward pack; defensively sound, making good metres and we have the advantage of having 3 80-minute backrowers, giving us the luxury of putting Marsh (possibly) on the bench and adding 3 props.

* If it is indeed PJ that replaces Ridell off the bench, then we will have what I and many others believe to be the most penetrative and damaging dummy half combination in the game. A lot of our plays will just flow off of the work of these blokes.

* We'll have successful players (Morrison, Tahu [remember THAT night in 2001? lol], Riddell, etc.) coming to Parramatta, thus (hopefully) inspiring a new team spirit.

* There is to be a shake-up in the coaching ranks (Sharp, possibly Anderson), which should lead to a better campaign.

I don't expect Tim or Ben Smith, Mateo, Greeen, Perenara, Davis, BAcko, Sorensen etc. to be there come round one, but after a few rounds, who knows?

The Colonel

Immortal
Its all about SHOULD. Its likely that the team, which on paper should be good, will take time to gel on the field. I'd factor in that, while being competitive, we should in all likelihood drop the first few games because of a lack of cohesion. Unless these kids stand tall in the trials I wouldn't want to see them near first grade before Rnd 11 unless it is necessary. They have never played first grade before and as we saw with Hunt and some other youngsters at all clubs, they will struggle by season end....

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well yes that's exactly right - I'm tempted to say that we WILL do better next year, just because of the sheer wealth of talent at our disposal.

But you never know.

And yes - anything before Round 11 (unless impressive form demands it) is a big ask.

Pazza

First Grade
If it is indeed PJ that replaces Ridell off the bench, then we will have what I and many others believe to be the most penetrative and damaging dummy half combination in the game. A lot of our plays will just flow off of the work of these blokes.

While we fall down at halfback, hooker is where we are really looking good. Given some good go forward the hookers are going to have a field day. Riddell is knocking on the door of representative duty (If Craig Wing ever get injuried Riddell would make a great interchange utility player) and Marsh who has played at Origin level. Is it going to make Tim Smith (if FG halfback) job so much easier.

Basically Brian Smith said himself that Halfback was out of PJ and Tim Smith with Trial form and Pre season work the deciding factor. Question is, Is Tim Smith ready? Well the only flaw I can see in his game is that he needs to take the line on a little more and run the ball.His defence could be better but its ok. I can't see him come out straight away and dominate everygame thats because he is young but you will find in time this will happen. What I can say is that at this stage of his career and comapring to Witt, Tim Smith is 500% better and thats without any 1st grade games under his belt.

EElementary- I hope so too man, i've been given this Kid alot of raps. If he doesn't come good I will be up shit creek without a paddle.

Pazza

First Grade
Tim Smith is going to have the benefit of working behind a solid forward pack, with a couple of Gun hookers and a real 5/8. Witt didnt get that, lets hope Smith uses it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah, I guess we'd better all hope that he's good.

I mean having a great forward pack and some great outside backs will definitely help but - man we need a big game number 7!

Pazza

First Grade
I'd give him a season or 2, but having a great team around him is really going to help him out. If he turns out great we might see Peneara or Green in the number 6 for 2006.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yes I agree 100% - our dummy half options will win us games and be an awesome force, and our pack looks great.

Our backs are quality too.

Hopefully it all works out for Timmy.

Pazza

First Grade
What we need from Smith from the word go is a link between Dummy half and 5/8 and a good kicking game. The rest of his game can develop as the season goes on. I've seen Riddell put in some good metre gaining kicks, maybe its part of marks game that JT can help develop.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yup.

I reckon, at least to start the season off, we need Morris at 5/8. If we have him at 5/8 and Riddell at hooker, put Smit at halfback - I see no reason why we can't win games with that combination.

True EEL

Bench
Jake the snake said:
Basically Brian Smith said himself that Halfback was out of PJ and Tim Smith with Trial form and Pre season work the deciding factor. Question is, Is Tim Smith ready? Well the only flaw I can see in his game is that he needs to take the line on a little more and run the ball.His defence could be better but its ok. I can't see him come out straight away and dominate everygame thats because he is young but you will find in time this will happen. What I can say is that at this stage of his career and comapring to Witt, Tim Smith is 500% better and thats without any 1st grade games under his belt.

Jake,

i'm sorry but this is a weird and very contradictory post...... :?

fair enough about ti being between PJ and Smith, but you say that 'the only flaw' i see in his game is his running game and then also say that his defence could be better - but its ok???

well that is 2 - count them 2 - flaws in his game if i read you right and very important ones at that and also they are sim ilar flaws to Witt's problems in first grade.....

and also how can a player be 500% better than Witt and then remind us that he hasn't even played first grade????? that remark is twofold - perhaps if he is that good he should have played firsts by now and how do we know he is that much better - First Grade NRL is a huge step up fr om PL?????????

just don't boom him up too much - don't get me wrong i wish the guy well and hopes he comes through and does well but remember how everyone boomed up both the Witt's - and where are they now??????

True EEL

Bench
having said all that bout Tim Smith - it would be good to see him come through and do well, just so we could all scream - "Timmmmmmmmyyyyy" - South park style when he does something good ;-)

fish eel

Immortal
and also how can a player be 500% better than Witt and then remind us that he hasn't even played first grade????? that remark is twofold - perhaps if he is that good he should have played firsts by now and how do we know he is that much better - First Grade NRL is a huge step up fr om PL?????????

The comparison Jake is drawing is at this stage in Tim Smith's career, compared to witt prior to when he played first grade?

I think the best line between the two of them you can draw is their form this year in Premier League. From what I saw, Tim Smith performed much, much better than Mick Witt did in the premmies this year....he was a thousand times more consistent over the course of the match and didnt demonstrate witt's tendancy to just sit back and let the game flow.

Latest posts