What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan about to re-sign

aussies1st

Staff member
By the looks of things, Dugan won't make a confirmed decision on his future until next year.

skeepe

Immortal
The Roosters offer absolutely nothing to the NRL. They have no juniors, no fans, and are nothing but a bunch of mercernaries who want to bludge off the hard work of the other clubs.

It's time to cut them loose, for the good of the NRL. The Roosters MUST DIE.

Johns Magic

Referee
Josh Dugan's private pain

DAVE Dugan will cry when his son runs on to Canberra Stadium tomorrow night. Always does.

"Because I'm one of the few people who sees it," the Tuggeranong truckie shrugs. "Who knows exactly what it means when my boy emerges from that tunnel and taps both shoulders with his hand."

Yep, two taps. That's it.

A blink-and-you-miss-it moment defining Josh Dugan better than anything over the next 80 minutes. Better than that going bang off both feet. Beyond every godly gift, in fact, that causes former Kangaroo Brett Mullins to concede "yeah, it is like he's bringing me back isn't it?".

Dugan, see, is defined by a ritual that for 24 NRL games has gone unnoticed. Unwritten. Unknown by all but those few family members who remember him as the Housing Commission kid with a rats tail.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

"But what I do when I'm heading on to the field, it's not about being noticed," the Canberra fullback insists. "I've never been the most devout of Catholics but I have my beliefs about what happens when those people most important to you die. And this ... this is about keeping them close."

And with that, Dugan lifts his blue surf hoodie to reveal the names. Andrew P. Dugan inked into the left side of his back. George L. Lawrence the right. Beneath them the declaration Forever Missed.

These are the two men to whom Dugan always points. To whom every game is devoted.

A loving tribute to days spent sitting at the dining table as George, his grandfather, talked family, cricket and those beloved Brisbane Broncos. A pair so close that even now, two years after emphysema took his pop, Dugan remains filthy that missed training sessions cost him the 2008 NRL debut he's convinced George was hanging on to see.

It's a similar pain lingering on the other side of his back. There with Uncle Andrew. The knockabout bush footballer whose visits where a whirl of presents, ice cream and trips to Timezone for Street Fighter challenges.

A father of two who, aged only 31, took his own life.

"Yeah, they called it death by misadventure," Dugan recalls quietly. "I was only 13. Couldn't go to his funeral. But my uncle was such a huge part of my life ... still is."

And for proof watch the game's hottest prospect look skyward immediately after those two taps which moisten the old man's eyes. Same deal after every try.

Watch him before games praying to his uncle for guidance. To his grandfather for strength. His wrist wraps initialled with GL and AD.

Family, you see, means everything to this NRL superstar who only moved out of home last month. Who shifted 25 minutes down the road and "still misses them heaps, ay". A fella whose $1000 Man of the Match award for NSW Country has already been banked into a savings account that will eventually buy his oldies their first home.

This is Dugan's way of thanking Dave, a truckie, and mum Jenny, a kitchen hand.

Two Housing Commission renters who "went ballistic" when, at 17, their boy came home with his surname inked down the left forearm.

"But I'm proud of my family, of where I come from," says this Raider who turned 20 on Monday. "It's why I've also got the initials of Mum, Dad and my sister Jaimee tattooed on my wrist too. I'm proud and want them to know that."

Indeed, Dugan insists family is why he exploded from obscurity last winter to run for more metres per game than any player - including Jarryd Hayne. Why this year he boasts more linebreaks than all but Darius Boyd. A kid so swamped by media this past fortnight with talk of NSW jerseys and secret Roosters deals, Canberra great Gary Belcher complains "look, I've done a dozen interviews on him ... is there someone else you can talk to?"

Is there what? Like Melbourne halfback Brett Finch, his junior coach. Or Clinton Schifcofske, a mentor in his teens. Call Bob Fulton, Laurie Daley, Andrew Johns, Willie Mason, Graeme Langlands ... everyone loves him.

Speak with ACT Brumbies centre Robbie Coleman, for example, and he'll tell you "ticker" has always been the key to this kid who led their South Tuggeranong Knights to four consecutive premierships from under-13s. Or mum Jenny, who spruiks the confidence of her boy who, aged 10, promised "I'll debut for Canberra at 18".

"But you fellas are talking Josh up like he's an overnight sensation," laughs Richard Keely, the man who coached Dugan in his first year aged nine. "You should've been there on day one. When he scored four tries and absolutely killed them. That's when we knew."

But for those of us still learning, Dugan is the kid who blew up his first letterbox at 12, started the rats tail at 14 and pierced both ears with a safety pin the following year. He drives an XR8 ute, lives with Toyota Cup centre Drury Low and has already lost three pairs of gold earrings that cost $300 a double. But what makes him great?

Because according to Canberra conditioner Matt Ford, there are plenty of Raiders faster and fitter. Stronger too.

Alan Tongue and Josh Miller insisting no one spends more time in recovery watching his mates train.

"But he just has this balance," Ford insists. "We've got one drill where players change direction repeatedly and Josh is so far above everyone. It's a mix of genetics, hard work ... and mystery."

Indeed, Raiders prop Troy Thompson concedes no one knows much about this wonderboy who speaks softly and shoots through whenever training is done. Who rarely watches NRL games on TV.

They've got no idea a koi fish will be his next tattoo. Nor that he's a Chelsea fan. Unaware, too, that his most prized possession is a tattered bush footy jersey that, hanging in a cupboard at home, looks almost lost among the suits, designer tees and schmick Canberra Raiders clobber.

But it's a jersey, Dugan explains, that Uncle Andrew left him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/josh-dugans-private-pain/story-e6frfgbo-1225866387020

Hope you guys hang on to him

Charlie124

First Grade
Jonathon Thurston was linked to...

French Rugby
Japanese Rugby
Bulldogs
Broncos
Eels
Warriors
Knights
...and a host of others at one stage or another over the last few months. I think even AFL was tossed up as an option. The media had Thurston signed, sealed and all but delivered to a heap of clubs while giving the Cowboys very little chance of retaining him. My point is that until something is written in concrete and Josh Dugan is at Roosters training throwing the ball around with Braith Anasta, i wouldnt believe sh*t.

I hope the Raiders hold onto him, and I think they will.

Jonathon Thurston was linked to...

French Rugby
Japanese Rugby
Bulldogs
Broncos
Eels
Warriors
Knights
...and a host of others at one stage or another over the last few months. I think even AFL was tossed up as an option. The media had Thurston signed, sealed and all but delivered to a heap of clubs while giving the Cowboys very little chance of retaining him. My point is that until something is written in concrete and Josh Dugan is at Roosters training throwing the ball around with Braith Anasta, i wouldnt believe sh*t.

I hope the Raiders hold onto him, and I think they will.

And Carney was linked to a few clubs before we re-signed him.

Lets just hope we do get to keep him.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
When the Sydney media have a main article covering one of our guys, i begin to think its a sign that his on his way to the roosters.

At the end of the day, Id rather we just throw a truck load on this kid, if Campo is making 500k then Dugan should be on 2.1mil hahah.

Cryptic

Juniors
The number of rumours doesn't mean it's true... The Germans use to drop millions of leaflets into Stalingrad saying they had won and to come out and surrender... Lots of the same BS said over and over again doesn't make it true... If it did Gus Gould would be god... lol

I'm just assuming the Roosters media are attempting to take away the focus of their fans from the fact that they yet again aren't consistant enough to win a premiership so "look! Future good! Pay attention over here!!!"... It's all BS...

Freddo

Juniors
1 Dugan
6 Carney
7 Pearce
9 Jones
13 Anatsa

nope if the roosters had that line up they still wouldnt win the comp

hellteam

First Grade
1 Dugan
6 Carney
7 Pearce
9 Jones
13 Anatsa

nope if the roosters had that line up they still wouldnt win the comp

Who is Jones... and Anasta is a lock, they wouldn't win the comp with the rest of their sh*thouse team.

Ben Jones. Everyone raved on him after the All Stars match.
We've got Friend and Aubusson in front of him.
We don't need a fullback though, need forwards.

Triptych

Juniors
Apparently its already a done deal. If that's the case, should the Raids continue to play him in First Grade? Give another kid a go to continue getting team cohesion?

This puts another angle on why there is no dealing done prior to contract expiration - what's the incentive to keep playing the player?

snogard6

Juniors
i have the feeling Dugan wants a release from the Raiders at the end of this season to go join the Roosters early.;-)

Latest posts