What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan - How long do we wait?

tumbidragon

First Grade
Possm is very passionate.
Here i agree totally.
Each top team that has won or contested a permiership has a game breaker at the back.
Manly = Stewart. '
Storm = Slater
Dogs = Barba
Cows = Bowen
Eels = Hayne.
Dragons = Boyd ;)
We now have a game breaker. Sign him the f.... up.

I don't understand the suspicion he doesn't want to be here. His interviews aren't unconvincing. He probably speaks a lot better than a lot of other footballers like darius who just give short sentences. Do we want him to break into a big song and dance to express his profound gratitude? I'd be unconvinced if he just focused on talking about the game and nothing else.

I think any unconvincing tone in his interviews probably stem from he is slowly getting sick about re-visiting his past demons amd always having to humble himself - not that he is unsure about Dragons. Any 23 y.o. struggles with the concept of being humble especially when a key ingredient to success in their chosen career (but especially footy) is confidence, self-esteem and a self Image the size of an ocean. He's a star!

Kinda contrary to each other - until you hit 40 and learn what it's all about.

saint.nick

Coach
...and remember, 3 negatives = a negative. Cheers Saint Nick : )

well, if his latest instagram photo is anything to go by, it only suggests he wants to stay. He posted a photo of the boys celebrating with him on the field after his try, commenting with a congratulations to the boys and hash-tagging #redv and #marchwithus. He's also just moved in with Dan Hunt...

saint.nick

Coach
And yeah I agree with you. He's always asked the same questions, which must get boring for him, however grateful he is. I would sound unconvincing after a while too if I had to keep repeating the same lines. He does seem happy, he reckons hes fitted in seamlessly. The boys love to banter with him on instagram. A certain group of players at Canberra however didn't want him there. Also good to see Widdop get man of the match for the Storm tonight.

TheRev

Coach
Turns out we dont have any 2 year option on Dugen.. the only thing I dont like about the timing of all this, is were still very much in the honeymoon "motivated" period.. so we may end up paying a fair bit for him next year even though we could have signed him for less when we were taking the risk anyway.. ahwell atleast hes playing for us, lets hope hes matured from his time off and can make a career here:

Dragons move fast to hold on to Dugan (SMH)

St George Illawarra officials are in talks to sign Josh Dugan beyond this season after a stunning return to the NRL in which the sacked Canberra fullback has firmly forced his way into Origin reckoning in just four weeks.

Despite speculation the Dragons had an option on Dugan's services for two years, the 24-year-old's manager Paul Sutton said the player had only signed for the remainder of this season but always intended to remain with the club for much longer.

''Effectively he is a free agent but in good faith to St George Illawarra we wouldn't talk to any other clubs,'' Sutton said.

When Dugan signed with the Dragons last month, he had few other options after being sacked by the Raiders two months earlier but made an immediate impression in their 32-12 win over Parramatta and starred in Saturday night's 14-8 defeat of Newcastle.

With NSW fullback Jarryd Hayne in doubt for Origin II with a hamstring injury, Dugan is set to be
called into the Blues camp on standby for the Eels star after the team is named on Sunday.
''He just needed to get back playing so we just did a deal for the rest of the year and said we would do the rest on the hop,'' Sutton said. ''If you have got to figure out three-, four-, five-year deals it takes forever, and we just wanted to let him play some footy, but we have been talking to them the whole time.''

Since joining the Dragons, Dugan has fitted in well, and team-mates are keen for him to stay.

Canberra cut Dugan after a series of indiscretions, the most infamous his rooftop drinking session with then teammate Blake Ferguson. The pair could be reunited again in NSW camp if Hayne fails to recover.
Hayne endured his first physio sessions on the injury on Monday, and made an appearance at Eels training where he walked gingerly but without too much discomfort.

However, Blues doctor Nathan Gibbs said Hayne's chances of playing in the June 26 clash at Suncorp Stadium were ''line-ball''.

''The sort of injury he has, he wouldn't be right to play next Monday,'' Gibbs told AAP. ''But he might be ready by the following Monday. It will be a line-ball injury in terms of recovering for Origin II. If he's walking around it's a good sign, especially if he's not on crutches.''

Despite the Raiders decision to terminate Dugan's contract, club chairman John McIntyre said he had no problem with the Canberra junior being fast tracked into Origin.
''If I have the opportunity, I'd be the first to shake his hand,'' McIntyre said. ''Obviously Josh Dugan is in the frame, and we're comfortable with that.

''We'll be barracking for the Blues, whoever wears that No.1 jumper. It means he's back to his best, what we always knew he was capable of.'' McIntyre said the Raiders were left with no option other than to move Dugan on. However, it shouldn't preclude the No.1 from being considered by NSW coach Laurie Daley.

''We knew for a long time, before anyone else, what a talented player Josh Dugan is,'' he said. ''The Raiders wanted the player - it was the person we were forced to sack.

''The fortunate thing from Josh's point of view is they weren't criminal activities.
''We hope that everything is right and that he has put his demons behind him.''

It remains to be seen whether Dugan's services will be required against the Maroons. Parramatta co-captain Tim Mannah backed Hayne to go close to being fit for Origin II after the incumbent NSW fullback injured his hamstring in the Eels' loss to the Roosters.
''I wouldn't rule him out,'' Mannah said. ''In terms of doing whatever it takes to get it right he'll do that.

Minh

First Grade
If he stays focused he's definitely worth the money he naturally commands, we should pay him what he's worth. A player like Josh Dugan would have never been happy or would it be just to be playing for hypothetically 300-400k a season, he's a top tier player and we should pay him what he's worth to keep him and hopefully he plays his best footy.

drake

First Grade
Throw the chequebook at him with a dickhead clause in case he starts going feral. If we try and skint on the deal, one of the rich clubs will swoop.
What he's shown the last couple of weeks has been amazing, and that's with bugger all training compared to the rest of the squad.

Elias1983

Coach
Sign him up asap!

He will develop a great combintaion with widdop next year and hopefully sam williams this year if he comes!

Do it!

He is playing well in a struggling side, imagine his form when the team is doing better?

possm

Coach
St George Illawarra Dragons officials are in talks to sign Josh Dugan beyond this season after a stunning return to the NRL in which the sacked Canberra Raiders fullback has firmly forced his way into Origin reckoning in just four weeks.
Despite speculation the Dragons had an option on Dugan’s services for two years, the 24-year-old’s manager Paul Sutton said the player had only signed for the remainder of this season but always intended to remain with the club for much longer.
”Effectively he is a free agent but in good faith to St George Illawarra we wouldn’t talk to any other clubs,” Sutton said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/dragons-move-fast-to-hold-on-to-dugan-20130610-2o08o.html#ixzz2VrU4mJ2i

Can't believe they've waited this long to sign him.

bottle

Coach
We haven't waited to sign him, Fmd, did people not read the whole article that was posted? His manager explains the situation clearly.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-fast-to-hold-on-to-dugan-20130610-2o08o.html

Suddenly into frame for NSW: Josh Dugan. Photo: Darren Pateman
St George Illawarra officials are in talks to sign Josh Dugan beyond this season after a stunning return to the NRL in which the sacked Canberra fullback has firmly forced his way into Origin reckoning in just four weeks.
Despite speculation the Dragons had an option on Dugan's services for two years, the 24-year-old's manager Paul Sutton said the player had only signed for the remainder of this season but always intended to remain with the club for much longer.
''Effectively he is a free agent but in good faith to St George Illawarra we wouldn't talk to any other clubs,'' Sutton said.
When Dugan signed with the Dragons last month, he had few other options after being sacked by the Raiders two months earlier but made an immediate impression in their 32-12 win over Parramatta and starred in Saturday night's 14-8 defeat of Newcastle.
Advertisement
With NSW fullback Jarryd Hayne in doubt for Origin II with a hamstring injury, Dugan is set to be
called into the Blues camp on standby for the Eels star after the team is named on Sunday.
''He just needed to get back playing so we just did a deal for the rest of the year and said we would do the rest on the hop,'' Sutton said. ''If you have got to figure out three-, four-, five-year deals it takes forever, and we just wanted to let him play some footy, but we have been talking to them the whole time.''
Since joining the Dragons, Dugan has fitted in well, and team-mates are keen for him to stay.
Canberra cut Dugan after a series of indiscretions, the most infamous his rooftop drinking session with then teammate Blake Ferguson. The pair could be reunited again in NSW camp if Hayne fails to recover.
Hayne endured his first physio sessions on the injury on Monday, and made an appearance at Eels training where he walked gingerly but without too much discomfort.
However, Blues doctor Nathan Gibbs said Hayne's chances of playing in the June 26 clash at Suncorp Stadium were ''line-ball''.
''The sort of injury he has, he wouldn't be right to play next Monday,'' Gibbs told AAP. ''But he might be ready by the following Monday. It will be a line-ball injury in terms of recovering for Origin II. If he's walking around it's a good sign, especially if he's not on crutches.''
Despite the Raiders decision to terminate Dugan's contract, club chairman John McIntyre said he had no problem with the Canberra junior being fast tracked into Origin.
''If I have the opportunity, I'd be the first to shake his hand,'' McIntyre said. ''Obviously Josh Dugan is in the frame, and we're comfortable with that.
''We'll be barracking for the Blues, whoever wears that No.1 jumper. It means he's back to his best, what we always knew he was capable of.''
McIntyre said the Raiders were left with no option other than to move Dugan on. However, it shouldn't preclude the No.1 from being considered by NSW coach Laurie Daley.
''We knew for a long time, before anyone else, what a talented player Josh Dugan is,'' he said. ''The Raiders wanted the player - it was the person we were forced to sack.
''The fortunate thing from Josh's point of view is they weren't criminal activities.
''We hope that everything is right and that he has put his demons behind him.''
It remains to be seen whether Dugan's services will be required against the Maroons. Parramatta co-captain Tim Mannah backed Hayne to go close to being fit for Origin II after the incumbent NSW fullback injured his hamstring in the Eels' loss to the Roosters.
''I wouldn't rule him out,'' Mannah said. ''In terms of doing whatever it takes to get it right he'll do that.

FundyDragon

Bench
I wonder how long this will drag out for.....

Who knows how long! I would hate to see him leave us, but we are in the box seat, he is happy playing his footy at the Dragons and seems to fit in well with our players. Management need to offer him a contract that is worthy of his form and ability, then all should be OK. Fingers crossed.

Mr Red

First Grade
Its very weird to see the words "manager" and "good faith" in the one story...lol

over to Dousty now to wrap up a deal that is being firmly placed in his lap.... if this drags on it could only be bad news...
surely given Dugan has stated his intentions to stay a deal should be struck within a week???

Latest posts