What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

BLM01

First Grade
I think you can safely say this is Graham’s last season. IMO Kerr has been groomed for that spot, one more season with us as a regular prop then a 3/4 year contract on good money from someone hopelessly us.
If we wait for Graham to retire if that’s the carrot too late.
if he doesn’t get a good go this year and someone on here reported earlier that they hope that our dope coach doesn’t blow this.
Well our dope coach got the name for a reason he’s blown many things so I’m not holding my breath
I just hope sanity prevails or someone else over rules him and he remains in the starting 17 somehow for the rest of the year
Who would I leave out?
Obviously it won’t be Graham because they will never do that although he would be one I’m thinking of but I would possibly let K Sims sit out nowadays as he’s too injury prone

Gareth67

First Grade
Realistically I cannot see him lasting the season , even this shortened version.

His heart is huge , but most unfortunately his body is now calling for a halt . I just hope that he recognizes this at the appropriate time and does not continue on like a punch-drunk fighter .

He deserves a better end to what has been a tremendous career .

Reactions: jak

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He's a good player his height is a real point of difference and is just hitting peak age for a prop. If he wants to play for Qld Dragons is the club to be at because he will get plenty of chances to show his wares at doing the tough stuff origin is all about like defending your try line set after set and bringing off your own line repeatedly.

BLM01

First Grade
Jimmy will not play past this year , hopefully the club will keep as a advisory roll where you can show the young guys how much dedication is needed to be a fully professional football player.
That is what his great value would be
Sounds like the job of a coach!....well it should be anyway

denis preston

First Grade
Jimmy will not play past this year , hopefully the club will keep as a advisory roll where you can show the young guys how much dedication is needed to be a fully professional football player.
That is what his great value would be

Well how has that worked over the past 3 seasons ? Jobs for the boys ? A lot of these coaching assistant assistance's will be gone under the new austerity program. If a AC cant get the word across why are they there ?

getsmarty

Immortal
Josh Kerr signs long-term Dragons deal
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 07:50 AM

St George Illawarra have announced that front-rower Josh Kerr has re-signed with the Dragons for a further three seasons.

Kerr's extension will see him remain at the Red V until at least the end of the 2023 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The two-time Indigenous All Stars representative has made 17 first grade appearances to date, including all 10 games so far in 2020.

Kerr said he was thankful to earn the long-term extension with the Red V.

"This new deal is something I've been working towards for a while now. To extend my time with the Dragons for another three years is what dreams are made of," Kerr said.

"I've been at the Dragons almost four years now, and the culture that's been built in that period has been incredible. To be sticking around is something special. I feel at home.

"I'm very grateful for everything the Dragons have done for me. It's been a long and tough journey but the club, Mary (coach Paul McGregor), the coaching and performance staff have stuck by me and shown a lot of faith in me," he added.

"I'm lucky that I have been able to start repaying them now [on the field]. It's time now to keep chipping away at my craft and make sure I'm getting better every week."

Director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said Kerr's extension will eventuate in the 24-year-old becoming a cornerstone of the club's forward pack in the years to come.

"Josh has real character about him off the field and we are very excited that he has made this commitment to the Dragons. All through negotiations it was clear he wanted to remain with the club despite the interest from numerous clubs," Millward said.

"He's been in our organisation for three seasons now and every season we have seen improvement in him. He's now receiving more minutes as a regular in our first grade team and we're extremely pleased to tie him up.

"Josh is one of the quickest forwards in our squad and with all the rule changes occurring this season too, it's become increasingly noticeable the impact he has had on quickening our ruck given his ability to play the ball quickly."

Kerr's retention follows the re-signings of Jackson Ford, Mikaele Ravalawa, Zac Lomax and Adam Clune so far throughout the Dragons' 2020 campaign.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/24/josh-kerr-signs-long-term-dragons-deal/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons lockdown Kerr for three more seasons
Dragons Den
r462_0_4515_2900_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STAYING PUT: Josh Kerr has re-signed with the Dragons for a further three years. Picture: NRL Imagery

ST GEORGE Illawarra prop Josh Kerr will call Wollongong home for the next three years after inking a contract extension with the club.

The 24-year-old had an option in his favour on a modest deal for next season but attracted interest from a number of rival clubs - chiefly the Warriors - before committing to the Dragons on an upgraded deal.

Currently in the midst of his best season in the top grade, Kerr said he wanted to repay the club for the faith it's shown in him since luring him north from Melbourne three years ago.

"To be able to sign a longer term deal with the club that's shown so much faith in me is a pretty special feeling," Kerr said.

"I had thoughts about maybe going back home to Brisbane, I had a decent offer from the Warriors as well, but it was my first priority to see where the Dragons were at.

"Front-rowers do take time to develop but I feel like now I'm starting to find my feet. The whole process of becoming a front-rower from being a scrawny winger slash fullback... it's been a journey but the club's shown a lot of faith in me in that regard.

"Now it's done it's just that good feeling of having all the hard work paying off and having that security."

Having been signed out of Melbourne's NYC system it was he first time in his career he'd been at the centre of a tug-of-war for his services.

READ MORE: Dufty making the most of Sharks now or never moment

It something that was admittedly in the back of his mind in recent weeks but, with the deal rubber-stamped, he's keen to take his game up a level.

"I didn't think it would play on my mind but it probably did a little bit," he said.

"Every game I was heading into this year, it was in the back of my head knowing there's clubs looking at you and you need to do this or that

"I wanted to stay with the Dragons and hoped they wanted to keep me. It was playing on my mind a little bit but when I agreed to terms I thought I had probably my best game on the weekend.

"It made it a lot easier to just go out there and not think about anything else during the game other than my job."

The deal will make him a long-term cog in pack that could look very different in coming years, with Tyson Frizell and James Graham departing and Jacob Host off-contract.

The club has also begun tentative talks with Jack de Belin, who's without a deal for 2021, though his future remains uncertain as court proceedings continue.

It leaves Kerr with longest deal for a forward at the club as he looks to build on a breakout year and possibly put himself in the Queensland selection frame.

The Redcliffe product, represented the Maroons at NYC and junior level and has ambitions to do so at Origin level over the length of his deal.

"I had a lot of goals coming into the season, the main one is playing every game this year," he said.

"Beyond that I'd like to put my name in the mix for rep footy. It might be wishful thinking at this stage but, if you look at front-rowers, there's not as much depth for Queensland as there is for NSW.

"With it being at the end of the season this year, I feel like I'm getting better and better each week. If I can keep doing that it'd be good to at least have my name mentioned there.

"It's something I want to achieve but I know I've still got a heap to improve on for the Dragons so that's my focus."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6846610/dragons-lock-down-kerr-for-three-more-seasons/

getsmarty

Immortal
July 27 2020 - 8:00PM
Kerr finding his voice through NRL journey
Dragons Den
Comments
r0_0_5196_3175_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PLATFORM: "Going through what I did growing up, I've realised the effect I can have on someone else if I do stand up and be proud." Dragons prop Josh Kerr. Picture: NRL Imagery

JOSH Kerr can't recall how young he was when he first got called a 'monkey', but he knows he was too young to understand why.

It was hurtful back then. These days, it makes the 24-year-old's blood boil, which is something to behold given how difficult it is to raise his hackles. Certainly as front-rowers go, Kerr's as un-confrontational as it gets.

Plenty have claims to the title, but the big Queenslander is probably the nicest man in rugby league. It's just his nature.

It's why, as a kid, he'd find himself laughing along when subjected to casual racism by classmates. It was subtle, but it hurt even more than the overt slurs lobbed by strangers from the sidelines.

"Growing up [in Redcliffe] there weren't a whole lot of indigenous kids around, I grew up with mostly non-indigenous people," Kerr said.

"There were all these jokes about stealing and whatever else, I'm sure everyone's heard them. There were little jokes about indigenous people being drunk and on drugs, that we get free houses and cars from the government... things like that.

"There were only a handful of other indigenous people I knew around school so when they'd say those jokes I'd laugh along just to feel included. There was stigma I grew up with that hurt because myself and family weren't anything like that.

"I remember getting called a monkey from the sideline when I was young. I didn't really understand what it meant. It's one of those things, I look at it now in hindsight and I get riled up.

"I tried to deal with it by trying to make it look like it didn't affect me but it was in my head. Growing up and not really being proud of who I am, there was a point in time I felt ashamed because I felt everyone thought that about indigenous people."

Thankfully those earlier struggles were merely the first difficult steps on a much longer journey to the heights of the NRL.

While the young Josh Kerr found it difficult to speak up then, he's well and truly found his voice on his rise to elite rugby league - including two appearances for the Indigenous All-Stars.

"The person who stands out the most for me is Joel Thompson when I arrived at the Dragons, just how proud he was of our culture," Kerr said.

"He was the person who really made me stand up, stick my chest out and make me really proud of who I am. Going through what I did growing up, I've realised and the effect I can have on someone else if I do stand up and be proud.

"If I was stronger with my culture, and I knew what I know now when I was younger, I'd probably speak up a lot more. I'm so thankful to have the platform to do that now.

"An NRL player has a lot more cameras and microphones put in front of them. If I say something it's going to reach a wider spectrum of people than the regular person. That's the goal, to educate and tell a story about where we come from."

For Kerr, a proud Nughi Nunukul man of the Quandamooka Nation from Stradbroke Island, that education has been complex but rewarding, not just for himself, but for his family. It's something he naturally reflects on in weeks like the approaching NRL Indigenous Round.

"When my mother was born her indigenous mother, my Nanna Judy, had to give her up for adoption," Kerr said.

"Nanna Osborne, who adopted my mother, was literally an angel and still is. She kept in contact with Nanna Judy and when my mum was in her teens she introduced them.

"I don't go too far into because it's a personal story for them but I'm very lucky, my indigenous family is such a beautiful family of beautiful people that love their culture.

"Every time I get back home we try and book a trip over to North Stradbroke Island where my people are from, the Quandamooka Nughi Nunukul people. Learning about that culture, going back and seeing my nanna do all the rituals, all the Welcome to Country and speaking in our language is unreal.

"It's hard to describe how special and how powerful being that connected to culture is. I'm a lot prouder and more passionate about it because of the education I've received around that."

r0_0_4220_3599_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CALL IT OUT: After enduring racist slurs as a teenager, Indigenous All-Star Josh Kerr says he's now confident speaking up against racism. Picture: Anna Warr

There is, however, an uncomfortable flipside to education. No honest look at our country's history is complete without acknowledging the pain it holds for First Nations people.

One thing Kerr has certainly learned is that, just because indigenous athletes can find a platform through sport, it doesn't mean everyone will take kindly to what they have to say.

AFL great, and former Australian of the Year, Adam Goodes' sad departure from the game in 2015 amid hail of racist vitriol remains a stain in the country's sporting history.

In the NRL, the game's biggest indigenous stars like Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Josh Addo-Carr have become constant targets for criticism since making a public stance against the national anthem.

Walker first went public with his views after the 2019 All-Stars clash, one shared by other indigenous players through the State of Origin series and into this year's meeting with the Maori All-Stars.

Last year Mitchell also went public about the racist abuse he's suffered at the hands of online trolls as a result. Kerr admits it can be disheartening, but he remains confident things are moving in the right direction.

"Latrell is a mate of mine, he's a brother of mine, and when I hear some of the things he's dealt with I just think... how can we take so many steps back?," he said.

"You wish it would just go away. The truth is it probably isn't going to for a long time but, from where it was to now, it's leaps and bounds ahead. Adam Goodes, Latrell Mitchell, these guys are proud and you see that they're proud.

"I've been called names and made a joke of and laughed along with people laughing at me to fit in. I look back on it now and think it was silly, stand up and be proud of who you are.

"I think people that did laugh back then were probably uncomfortable as well. If I'd said something then people might have stood with me. I think we are seeing that now."

The anthem stance, a position unanimously shared by the Indigenous squad ahead of this year's All-Stars clash, is a case in point.

Kerr and his teammates were not naive enough to think it wouldn't cause a stir, but it was price they were willing to pay to drive the national conversation forward.

"When we played the All-Stars game and didn't sing the anthem, I a hundred per cent knew some people were going to say we were racist, ungrateful and all the rest and they did," Kerr said.

"We didn't think it was all just going to go away after that but I knew at the point in time I was doing something to open peoples eyes and educate people as to why we were doing it.

"I think some people did get educated about the anthem and I think we are in better place now because there's a lot more people wanting to learn these things. Sometimes we just need to stop and listen and have that uncomfortable conversation.

"Not everyone's going to agree but you might change some people. That's the price I'm willing to pay so my children can hopefully live in a world free of racism. That might be wishful thinking, but as long as I'm doing my part to eradicate it, then I'm happy."

Most importantly, the message is now being heard at NRL HQ. In launching this year's round on Monday, ARLC chairman Peter V'landys said the 'Pass Back, Move Forward' theme will encourage people to have a more honest look at our country's history in order to move forward.

"This Round and this campaign reminds us all of the need for better awareness of Australia's history to ensure a fairer future for all," V'landys said.

"Thanks to Commissioner Megan Davis, I have spent time listening to a delegation of our Indigenous players. In fact, I was very disappointed with myself for not being aware of the difficulties and challenges they endured.

getsmarty

Immortal
Part 2

"I now have a much better understanding of their issues and I was greatly inspired by their passion and commitment in having a voice for their community.

"I now hope for the greater community to have awareness of their history and culture. We all have a role to play in educating ourselves about the past so that we may embrace a more inclusive future together."

r0_0_5131_3421_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PRIDE: "It's hard to describe how special, and how powerful, being that connected to your culture is." Josh Kerr. Picture: Anna Warr

An NRL player has a lot more cameras and microphones put in front of them than the regular person. If I say something it's going to reach a wider spectrum of people and, going through what I did growing up, I've realised the effect I can have on someone else if I do stand up and be proud of our culture and where I come from.

Josh Kerr
The Dragons will kick it off against the Rabbitohs on Thursday and Kerr says his thoughts will inevitably turn back to those earlier tough days and bring a smile at how far things have come.

"There's a quote I often come back to in my mind: 'it only takes one brave man to stand up to stiffen the spine of others," Kerr said.

"The first time I really felt proud was seeing what Preston Campbell did with the first Indigenous All-Stars game.

"Back then there used to be a rugby league store on the Redcliffe Esplanade and everyone was rushing in to try and buy the Indigenous jersey, non-indigenous people as well. It blew me away.

"Rugby league is a confident man's sport and, once I got into NRL systems, the guys have helped me be myself and be a more confident guy.

"It's always been harder for me to stand up but that's how rugby league's helped me. Seeing guys like Preston Campbell, being around guys like Latrell, Joel Thompson, Cody Walker... It's stiffened me to say 'this is what I believe, I'm proud of who I am'."

And the thought that the next 'Josh Kerr' could well be watching on at home?

"That still blows me away," he said.

"I know I'm not Cameron Smith or someone like that that's done it all over all those years. I still can't believe I'm playing in the NRL.

"I was that kid wishing it would happen one day. The thought there might be one kid watching me do that... I still feel like I'm going to wake up from something. It's unreal."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...err-finding-his-voice-on-nrl-journey/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
kerrrc1_0495.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Kerr, Hunt named in Queensland Origin squad
Author
Michael Hillier QRL Media
Timestamp
Wed 7 Oct 2020, 05:04 PM

Queensland Rugby League is pleased to announce the first group of players selected in the Queensland Maroons squad for next month’s State of Origin series.

Maroons selectors have chosen 15 players from seven clubs who have completed their National Rugby League commitments in 2020.

The Gold Coast Titans have the greatest representation with four players – Jai Arrow, AJ Brimson, Moeaki Fotuaika and Phillip Sami.

They are joined by Kalyn Ponga, Edrick Lee and Hymel Hunt (Newcastle Knights), Valentine Holmes and Coen Hess (North Queensland Cowboys), Patrick Carrigan and Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos), and Ben Hunt and Josh Kerr (St George Illawarra Dragons); with Harry Grant (Wests Tigers / Melbourne Storm) and Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Sea Eagles) rounding out the initial 15.

Ponga will consult with a surgeon tomorrow before a final decision is made on his availability.

Additional players will be added to the squad as further teams are eliminated from the NRL finals series.

Nine players have yet to make their senior Queensland debuts, meaning the Maroons are poised to inject a fresh wave of talent into the Origin arena under the guidance of newly-appointed coach Wayne Bennett.

“We’ve got an exciting mix of both emerging and seasoned talent in the squad so far and we’re really pleased to be able to announce this group today after what has been a challenging period for the game,” Bennett said.

“The players named in this squad today will have a small window to freshen up before commencing work with our high performance team to ensure they are in peak condition for the series.”

Queensland selectors will confirm the squad of 27 players after the NRL grand final on October 25, the same day the Maroons will enter camp to formally begin preparations for the series opener at the Adelaide Oval on November 4.

Bennett also confirmed a new addition to his support team, with former Cowboys and Titans coach Neil Henry returning to work in camp Maroon as an assistant coach. He replaces Justin Hodges.

Queensland Maroons squad members
Jai Arrow - Gold Coast Titans

AJ Brimson - Gold Coast Titans

Moeaki Fotuaika - Gold Coast Titans

Phillip Sami - Gold Coast Titans

Valentine Holmes - North Queensland Cowboys

Coen Hess - North Queensland Cowboys

Xavier Coates - Brisbane Broncos

Patrick Carrigan - Brisbane Broncos

Edrick Lee - Newcastle Knights

Hymel Hunt - Newcastle Knights

Kalyn Ponga - Newcastle Knights

Ben Hunt - St George Illawarra Dragons

Josh Kerr - St George Illawarra Dragons

Harry Grant - Wests Tigers / Melbourne Storm

Daly Cherry-Evans - Manly Sea Eagles

* Additional players will be added following NRL finals matches

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/10/07/kerr-hunt-named-in-queensland-origin-squad/

P.S congratulations to both Ben & josh on their selection.

getsmarty

Immortal
Queensland names Dragons prop as bolter as Bennett opts for youth
Adam Pengilly
October 7, 2020 — 6.26pm
Leave a comment

Dragons prop Josh Kerr is one of nine players yet to be capped at State of Origin level in Wayne Bennett's initial Queensland squad, which is still sweating on the availability of Kalyn Ponga.

Kerr, who had a breakout season for St George Illawarra, was included in a 15-man train-on squad alongside clubmate Ben Hunt and four Titans players, whose representation outstrips that of the Broncos (two).
Former Queensland forwards Josh McGuire and Joe Ofahengaue were the big omissions from a squad laden with youth, while Michael Morgan, Anthony Milford, Kyle Feldt and Corey Oates have already been ruled out through injury.

Ponga was named in the squad, but will visit a surgeon on Thursday to determine whether he needs immediate surgery on a shoulder problem, potentially paving the way for Titans flyer AJ Brimson to wear the Queensland No.1 while Valentine Holmes is suspended for the opening game.

Brimson was joined in the Queensland squad by Gold Coast teammates Jai Arrow, Moeaki Fotuaika and Phillip Sami, eclipsing Brisbane's representation (Patrick Carrigan and Xavier Coates) after Bennett's old club finished with the wooden spoon.

Harry Grant has also been included in Bennett's squad after he took over the reins when Kevin Walters accepted Brisbane's head coaching role.

b5128fa73f28c0e6a2d2bcf046ed612716dc8474

The Dragons' Josh Kerr has emerged as a bolter in Wayne Bennett's Queensland squad.Credit:Getty

"We’ve got an exciting mix of both emerging and seasoned talent in the squad so far and we’re really pleased to be able to announce this group [on Wednesday] after what has been a challenging period for the game," Bennett said.

"The players named in this squad will have a small window to freshen up before commencing work with our high performance team to ensure they are in peak condition for the series."

Queensland selectors will confirm a squad of 27 after the NRL grand final later this month. The Origin side will be aided by experienced coach Neil Henry, who has taken over as assistant coach from Justin Hodges.

Queensland squad: Jai Arrow (Titans), AJ Brimson (Titans), Moeaki Fotuaika (Titans), Phillip Sami (Titans), Edrick Lee (Knights), Hymel Hunt (Knights), Kalyn Ponga (Knights), Valentine Holmes (Cowboys), Coen Hess (Cowboys), Xavier Coates (Broncos), Patrick Carrigan (Broncos), Ben Hunt (Dragons), Josh Kerr (Dragons), Harry Grant (Tigers/Storm), Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles).

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/qu...s-bennett-opts-for-youth-20201007-p56304.html