What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

BLM01

First Grade
Promising forward Josh Kerr determined to build on solid rookie season
Dragons Den
r0_243_4764_2932_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Emerging talent: Josh Kerr. Picture: Sylvia Liber.

Twenty-nineteen has been a year of mixed emotions for Josh Kerr.

He had the opportunity to play alongside his heroes in the Indigenous All-Stars match in February, he made his NRL debut for the Dragons in March and saw his form in both the NRL and Canterbury Cup improve considerably.

But the St George Illawarra Dragons were awful.

That makes it tough for Kerr to look back fondly on the season, with his individual achievements slightly overshadowed by the team's disappointing performance.

"There's two different sides to it," Kerr said. "For myself, I couldn't believe it. It was a dream come true. I sat in front of the TV as a kid watching NRL, so to be able to be on TV playing and for my family to hear Ray Warren say my name, that was a big thing for me and my family.

"On the field, as a team, it wasn't the greatest year. It would've been awesome to come into the side and debut for a side that was coming first, but we just needed to make changes at the end of the year and I was very lucky to be given an opportunity.

"Towards the back end when I was playing more I was getting more confident. That's when I started to come out of my shell in first grade a bit more. Last season was a very good foot forward to where I want to be."

After making his NRL debut in round two, Kerr played a further six first grade games throughout the season, including four of the last seven.

Read more: 'There's a cultural issue at the top of Group Seven': Longbottom

While he was happy to bide his time throughout 2019, the 23-year-old is determined to win a place in the 17 for the Dragons round one clash with the Tigers.

Once he achieves that goal, Kerr's aim is to ensure he stays in the team for the duration of the season.

"At the end of the season I sat down with Mary and we spoke about what we wanted as a goal, one of mine was I would love to play round one.

"Playing NRL is a privilege, with the squad we've got, it's still going to be very tough to get that spot, but I'd love to play round one and try to play every single game throughout the season.

"Mary even said, 'I'd love for you to be a starting front rower. If you keep progressing the way you are and improving and doing the little things right, you'll get there.'

"I was doing very well in NSW Cup and I want to play more first grade and get more confidence."

Kerr received a shock to the system when the pre-season kicked off this week, with the squad put through a gruelling fitness session on Tuesday.

Overseeing the workout were Nathan Pickworth and Adrian Jimenez, a man who spent 11 years ensuring the Melbourne Storm were among the fittest teams in the competition.

Kerr was in the Storm system prior to his move to Wollongong and while his time at the club did not overlap with Jimenez, the horror stories he heard from his teammates have him prepared for a very long summer.

"Luckily I came to the Storm the year after he was there and I heard some stories about it. I'll tell you right now, they're all true already.

"He is tough, but he's been in systems that are very successful systems and they (the Dragons) have obviously seen that and wanted to bring him in and you can tell why.

"It's hard, very hard, but you know it's the best thing for you. It's the old saying, the harder your pre-season, the better your season is."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ined-to-build-on-solid-rookie-season/?cs=3713
Good old Mary playing the standard BS babble card with a young player telling him nothing "I'd love you to be there starting just to keep improving and working on your game and you'll get there" how about you tell him exactly what he needs to improve on Mary that would be a start.....or maybe you just don't know it's your normal go to line

getsmarty

Immortal
Good old Mary playing the standard BS babble card with a young player telling him nothing "I'd love you to be there starting just to keep improving and working on your game and you'll get there" how about you tell him exactly what he needs to improve on Mary that would be a start.....or maybe you just don't know it's your normal go to line

True...although Mary may not know the answer himself...LOL

BLM01

First Grade
You should all be comfortable being uncomfortable...wise words from the McMaster Bater
ATM sweltering in this humid night of ours...know what he means as I have chosen to follow Mary's wisdom.
You see I could turn on the air con but the legends words ring in my ears....

Bench
It’s time for Kerr to,make the step,up in grade, has shown some glimpses of what he Can do, this year will make him of brake him

getsmarty

Immortal
2nh_5567e.jpg

DRAGONS

The reluctant prop: How will to win turned Josh Kerr around
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 18 May 2020, 08:01 AM
kennedychris-head.png

Josh Kerr says it was a shock to the system the first time he was asked to play in the forwards in the Storm under-20s but the Dragon has now set his sights on one day representing Queensland as a front-rower.

The Brisbane product came through the Broncos' system as a Redcliffe Dolphins junior playing wing, fullback or centre and relying on just being "two feet taller" than everyone else.

Scouted by the Storm while still in high school, the 197cm 24-year-old was unimpressed to be told to do a pre-season in the second row, only to be told in round one he was actually playing prop.

A lot of hard work between then and now turned the Indigenous All Stars front-rower into one of the form players of the Dragons' 2020 pre-season and hunting more responsibility.

Kerr said some home truths delivered from the likes of Tariq Sims plus the reward of doing something positive for the team turned things around for him.

kerrj-200215_gt_09.jpg

Josh Kerr sends the ball out wide during the NRL Nines in Perth. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
A reluctant forward
"When I was in high school I signed a development training deal at the Storm," he said.

"I was playing centre and doing well for my age group but I was always two foot taller than everyone in my age group. When I got older they wanted me to move into the back row."

The first challenge there was putting on some bulk, and even that didn't go smoothly at first.

"When I was younger, I sort of knew you had to eat all your vegetables and proteins but wasn't really sure how it all worked, I just knew I had to eat heaps so I was eating everything and it was probably all the bad food, chips and snacks," he laughed.

"I remember I was 95 kilos as a centre or fullback and pumped up to 105 kilos just eating over a year. It wasn't the best way to do it. Then I went down for my first pre-season at Melbourne and I was behind everyone, it was shocking. You learn as you get older.

"It's weird now, you feel the effects. If I do eat a shit meal I feel it affect my body whereas if I eat something healthy I know mentally I've eaten healthy, my body feels healthy."

Kerr managed to get in shape but there was another curve ball headed his way.

"I did the whole pre-season in the back row for Melbourne and before our first game the coach said, 'I'll chuck you in the front row and see how you go', and I thought 'what?' but I just haven't looked back I guess," he added.

kerrj-200315_gt_119.jpg

Josh Kerr takes on Penrith in round two. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
The difference in what is required going from centre to prop, he quickly learned, is stark.

"The outside backs is a lot more decision-making that can lead to the opposition getting a try but the middle is so constant, I had no idea how hard it was until I was thrown in there," he said.

"You have to respect both positions but in terms of physicality and mental toughness, the middle, you can't rest, you can't stop, there are players out there who will pick you apart. Not everyone can do it.

"It's such a different grind in the middle, a constant mental grind. I'm lucky I've had people around me that have got me to work hard to be able to do it."

Getting in the grind
So when did Kerr actually begin to relish the task?

"Oh man, I hate the middle hey – if it was up to me I'd be in the centres!" he smiled.

But the turning point did come during that period in the Storm under 20s.

"When I first got asked to play middle I was kicking stones a bit, I was a bit stressed going into under 20s playing before first grade thinking people would see a big guy in the middle not knowing what he's doing.

"I hated it for so long then I started getting fitter. There were points in games where we didn't have our captain or senior players, guys like Joe Stimson and Jake Turpin, some games they weren't playing and I was in the middle.

"Because I was a big guy they were looking to me to generate something, whether it's a run up the middle and a quick play-the-ball. I sort of relished that - then over time I thought it's not about me, it's about the team.

"Before then I was a big tall guy getting away doing what I had to do in the centres but when I was in the middle I got a taste of what's best for the team. At the end of the day all I want to do is win and I put all that other stuff behind me."

Kerr says while some focus on how many metres or tackles a player has made, within the team it's the little things that lift the side that count - like a tough carry and fast play-the-ball with the team under pressure.

"I want to make sure I'm working as hard as I can to find my front; to get up and see what happens after is the best feeling," he said.

Over time I thought it's not about me, it's about the team.

Josh Kerr
"I can't explain the feeling of when you do something good for the team and the boys give you a pat on the back. All you care about when you come into the game is you want to impress the older boys and make them proud of you.

"You might not get the recognition and that's fine by me but as long as we win, that's all I care about."

A bad time for a break
Kerr is coming off his strongest pre-season, with impressive performances in the All Stars and Nines. With the likes of Korbin Sims and Cam McInnes absent for the opening two rounds, Kerr played close to 40 minutes in each game, tallying 205 metres and 47 tackles in the two games.

The shutdown came at a poor time for plenty of fringe players trying to justify a regular NRL starting spot and Kerr is in that bracket, with Sims and McInnes among the injured players set to return in round three and momentum lost.

"It's been tough, working as hard as I could in the pre-season," Kerr said.

"I got a taste of first grade last year and I knew that's what I wanted to do so I made sure in the off-season I worked as hard as I could and sacrificed so much.

"To put all that hard work in then getting that opportunity, I thought 'wow, hard work does pay off'. I sacrificed a lot to make sure I was there then getting cut short I thought, 'far out'. I knew the virus wasn't going to last forever.

"I'm in better shape now than I was in that pre-season because I've been training as much as I can, nearly every day, doing something to make sure when it does come back I want to be where I left off at a minimum (fitness-wise).

"With Cam McInnes and Korbin coming back it does shuffle the middle of the pack. For me it's uncertainty of who they move from the bench and if Korbin does come back and play where does he sit. It's very competitive and I want to make sure I'm pushing to stay there for the rest of the season."

kerrj-200222_gt_109.jpg

Indigenous All Stars forward Josh Kerr slips a pass away. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
Lofty goals
Kerr has an option in his favour for 2021 but isn't looking at that until he's had a chance to play some more footy.

"It's not always about money, it's more about opportunity. At the end of it the money comes," he said.

"I've had goals since I was a kid but I've never had the goal of 'I wish I was a million-dollar player', it's more I want to play State of Origin, play for Australia, be a guy that plays 200, 300 games for their club. It's more the legacy I want to leave behind.

"I used to sit there and watch it on TV with my dad and wonder ... my biggest goal as a kid was to debut but just to have Ray Warren say my name. It's a little thing but it was incredible."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...prop-how-will-to-win-turned-josh-kerr-around/

BLM01

First Grade
2nh_5567e.jpg

DRAGONS

The reluctant prop: How will to win turned Josh Kerr around
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 18 May 2020, 08:01 AM
kennedychris-head.png

Josh Kerr says it was a shock to the system the first time he was asked to play in the forwards in the Storm under-20s but the Dragon has now set his sights on one day representing Queensland as a front-rower.

The Brisbane product came through the Broncos' system as a Redcliffe Dolphins junior playing wing, fullback or centre and relying on just being "two feet taller" than everyone else.

Scouted by the Storm while still in high school, the 197cm 24-year-old was unimpressed to be told to do a pre-season in the second row, only to be told in round one he was actually playing prop.

A lot of hard work between then and now turned the Indigenous All Stars front-rower into one of the form players of the Dragons' 2020 pre-season and hunting more responsibility.

Kerr said some home truths delivered from the likes of Tariq Sims plus the reward of doing something positive for the team turned things around for him.

kerrj-200215_gt_09.jpg

Josh Kerr sends the ball out wide during the NRL Nines in Perth. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
A reluctant forward
"When I was in high school I signed a development training deal at the Storm," he said.

"I was playing centre and doing well for my age group but I was always two foot taller than everyone in my age group. When I got older they wanted me to move into the back row."

The first challenge there was putting on some bulk, and even that didn't go smoothly at first.

"When I was younger, I sort of knew you had to eat all your vegetables and proteins but wasn't really sure how it all worked, I just knew I had to eat heaps so I was eating everything and it was probably all the bad food, chips and snacks," he laughed.

"I remember I was 95 kilos as a centre or fullback and pumped up to 105 kilos just eating over a year. It wasn't the best way to do it. Then I went down for my first pre-season at Melbourne and I was behind everyone, it was shocking. You learn as you get older.

"It's weird now, you feel the effects. If I do eat a shit meal I feel it affect my body whereas if I eat something healthy I know mentally I've eaten healthy, my body feels healthy."

Kerr managed to get in shape but there was another curve ball headed his way.

"I did the whole pre-season in the back row for Melbourne and before our first game the coach said, 'I'll chuck you in the front row and see how you go', and I thought 'what?' but I just haven't looked back I guess," he added.

kerrj-200315_gt_119.jpg

Josh Kerr takes on Penrith in round two. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
The difference in what is required going from centre to prop, he quickly learned, is stark.

"The outside backs is a lot more decision-making that can lead to the opposition getting a try but the middle is so constant, I had no idea how hard it was until I was thrown in there," he said.

"You have to respect both positions but in terms of physicality and mental toughness, the middle, you can't rest, you can't stop, there are players out there who will pick you apart. Not everyone can do it.

"It's such a different grind in the middle, a constant mental grind. I'm lucky I've had people around me that have got me to work hard to be able to do it."

Getting in the grind
So when did Kerr actually begin to relish the task?

"Oh man, I hate the middle hey – if it was up to me I'd be in the centres!" he smiled.

But the turning point did come during that period in the Storm under 20s.

"When I first got asked to play middle I was kicking stones a bit, I was a bit stressed going into under 20s playing before first grade thinking people would see a big guy in the middle not knowing what he's doing.

"I hated it for so long then I started getting fitter. There were points in games where we didn't have our captain or senior players, guys like Joe Stimson and Jake Turpin, some games they weren't playing and I was in the middle.

"Because I was a big guy they were looking to me to generate something, whether it's a run up the middle and a quick play-the-ball. I sort of relished that - then over time I thought it's not about me, it's about the team.

"Before then I was a big tall guy getting away doing what I had to do in the centres but when I was in the middle I got a taste of what's best for the team. At the end of the day all I want to do is win and I put all that other stuff behind me."

Kerr says while some focus on how many metres or tackles a player has made, within the team it's the little things that lift the side that count - like a tough carry and fast play-the-ball with the team under pressure.

"I want to make sure I'm working as hard as I can to find my front; to get up and see what happens after is the best feeling," he said.

Over time I thought it's not about me, it's about the team.

Josh Kerr
"I can't explain the feeling of when you do something good for the team and the boys give you a pat on the back. All you care about when you come into the game is you want to impress the older boys and make them proud of you.

"You might not get the recognition and that's fine by me but as long as we win, that's all I care about."

A bad time for a break
Kerr is coming off his strongest pre-season, with impressive performances in the All Stars and Nines. With the likes of Korbin Sims and Cam McInnes absent for the opening two rounds, Kerr played close to 40 minutes in each game, tallying 205 metres and 47 tackles in the two games.

The shutdown came at a poor time for plenty of fringe players trying to justify a regular NRL starting spot and Kerr is in that bracket, with Sims and McInnes among the injured players set to return in round three and momentum lost.

"It's been tough, working as hard as I could in the pre-season," Kerr said.

"I got a taste of first grade last year and I knew that's what I wanted to do so I made sure in the off-season I worked as hard as I could and sacrificed so much.

"To put all that hard work in then getting that opportunity, I thought 'wow, hard work does pay off'. I sacrificed a lot to make sure I was there then getting cut short I thought, 'far out'. I knew the virus wasn't going to last forever.

"I'm in better shape now than I was in that pre-season because I've been training as much as I can, nearly every day, doing something to make sure when it does come back I want to be where I left off at a minimum (fitness-wise).

"With Cam McInnes and Korbin coming back it does shuffle the middle of the pack. For me it's uncertainty of who they move from the bench and if Korbin does come back and play where does he sit. It's very competitive and I want to make sure I'm pushing to stay there for the rest of the season."

kerrj-200222_gt_109.jpg

Indigenous All Stars forward Josh Kerr slips a pass away. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
Lofty goals
Kerr has an option in his favour for 2021 but isn't looking at that until he's had a chance to play some more footy.

"It's not always about money, it's more about opportunity. At the end of it the money comes," he said.

"I've had goals since I was a kid but I've never had the goal of 'I wish I was a million-dollar player', it's more I want to play State of Origin, play for Australia, be a guy that plays 200, 300 games for their club. It's more the legacy I want to leave behind.

"I used to sit there and watch it on TV with my dad and wonder ... my biggest goal as a kid was to debut but just to have Ray Warren say my name. It's a little thing but it was incredible."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...prop-how-will-to-win-turned-josh-kerr-around/
I can see it now.
He is just about to start showing he is worth keeping and starting to reach his potential
He will be squeezed out of the prop top squad rotation by Graham, KSims, Lawrie & Vaughan, Frizz, Tariq, Merrin.
He will join the Bulldogs in 2021 and not take his option with us.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'd put Kerr on the bench. He could play centre if needed as he has played in that position as a younger player. So he could come off the bench as either a prop, second rower and centre so he is versatile and we should get him to take up his option with us.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'd put Kerr on the bench. He could play centre if needed as he has played in that position as a younger player. So he could come off the bench as either a prop, second rower and centre so he is versatile and we should get him to take up his option with us.

Agree , he is indeed versatile and that in itself is valuable, Mary needs to understand that also . I am sure that Flanagan and Shepherd can .

The time has come for Mary to get the results on the board , therefore he can no longer send players out onto the field that are firing blanks . He must have some real ammo in his arsenal now or he will be the one to cop the silver bullet .

Richard Norton

Juniors
I can see it now.
He is just about to start showing he is worth keeping and starting to reach his potential
He will be squeezed out of the prop top squad rotation by Graham, KSims, Lawrie & Vaughan, Frizz, Tariq, Merrin.
He will join the Bulldogs in 2021 and not take his option with us.
Im hoping Graham hangs the boots up at seasons end and Kerr takes his spot.
Kerr is a big boy, and Vaughan needs a Kerr type player more then a Graham type besides him.
Kerr must be on the bench this year at the least.
If he gets over looked for players that are at the end of there careers, then he wont be staying around.
Word has it the Bulldogs are looking at him, they see him as there new version "Kasiano"...
Lets hope the dope coach doesnt blow this!

hewi

Bench
I think you can safely say this is Graham’s last season. IMO Kerr has been groomed for that spot, one more season with us as a regular prop then a 3/4 year contract on good money from someone hopelessly us.

Latest posts