What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Pascoe - Deregistered

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This “agreement” was while Thurston was still playing and if the finer details weren’t known at the time how can it be registered. Only difference he didn’t go play for another team.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/jt...boys-for-four-more-years-20180822-p4zz2x.html
The difference being that Thurston is being legitimately paid, post playing, to legitimately be an ambassador.

Farah was offered his unpaid player wage, while still playing, to be an ambassador, so as to coax him into leaving the club. It was a deliberate attempt to avoid the cap.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Im not a Robbie fan however what he says below is why Tigers fans are so confused and angry about the situation:

‘’The fact is it had nothing to do with my playing contract at all,” Farah said. “My release to Souths was a separate contract. I got my full payout. The club didn’t save any money on me leaving or defer any payments because of an ambassador role. It wasn’t like they paid me less to try and cheat the salary cap. The NRL knows I got paid out in full. The role was completely different agreement. The club gained no advantage.’’

“I still might not do it. It’s an option. There is nothing concrete in the contract or in my own mind that I will take it. I might get into coaching and I have other business interests outside rugby league.

“The club is getting punished for something that may not come into fruition. What if I don’t take up the ambassador role at all? Does the fine get retracted?”

“The deal was common knowledge to everyone. The media knew about it, the public knew about it. “It wasn’t something that the club or I shied away from.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...y/news-story/7650b46f308ca64df6c114c4623dff5a

Last edited:
Im not a Robbie fan however what he says below is why Tigers fans are so confused and angry about the situation:

‘’The fact is it had nothing to do with my playing contract at all,” Farah said. “My release to Souths was a separate contract. I got my full payout. The club didn’t save any money on me leaving or defer any payments because of an ambassador role. It wasn’t like they paid me less to try and cheat the salary cap. The NRL knows I got paid out in full. The role was completely different agreement. The club gained no advantage.’’

“I still might not do it. It’s an option. There is nothing concrete in the contract or in my own mind that I will take it. I might get into coaching and I have other business interests outside rugby league.

“The club is getting punished for something that may not come into fruition. What if I don’t take up the ambassador role at all? Does the fine get retracted?”

“The deal was common knowledge to everyone. The media knew about it, the public knew about it. “It wasn’t something that the club or I shied away from.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...y/news-story/7650b46f308ca64df6c114c4623dff5a

Thing is the NRL have form on deals which are "public knowledge". Back when Craig Wing was first at the Roosters, his contract was being paid by Souths as Souths had been kicked out of the comp but they'd signed him on a guaranteed contract. It was a 3 year deal. This was all out in the open. When it got to the final year of his contract, the NRL all of a sudden said it was news to them and fined the Roosters for the contract situation.

Canard

Immortal

Isn't that like saying "Yeh I was inside the guys car, but who's to say I was going to steal it"

I just don't think that's how these things work, otherwise you could "avoid" all sorts of cap issues with a loophole like that.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Isn't that like saying "Yeh I was inside the guys car, but who's to say I was going to steal it"

It’s more about the first paragraph. The ambassador role was added to a fully paid out contract, once he had already left the club. In what world is that helping out our salary cap?

Tweek2

Juniors
I don’t think it’s aboit the money Farah received.

It’s about the tigers salary cap. They asked for dispensation and got it for Farah leaving. So while he got his money it wasn’t on the tigers cap. The nrl don’t like the asking for dispensation on the cap due to being destabilising while offering a future job.

Tiger5150

Bench
The difference being that Thurston is being legitimately paid, post playing, to legitimately be an ambassador.

Farah was offered his unpaid player wage, while still playing, to be an ambassador, so as to coax him into leaving the club. It was a deliberate attempt to avoid the cap.

Simply not true. Farah was paid every cent of his then current contract between the Tigers Souffs. He didnt receive one cent less. Farah says as much in his recent interview.

Tiger5150

Bench
I don’t think it’s aboit the money Farah received.

It’s about the tigers salary cap. They asked for dispensation and got it for Farah leaving. So while he got his money it wasn’t on the tigers cap. The nrl don’t like the asking for dispensation on the cap due to being destabilising while offering a future job.

Farah being a destabilising influence on the playing/coaching group and him being a popular, well recognised icon of the club who would be potentially valuable in the commercial world are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Thing is the NRL have form on deals which are "public knowledge". Back when Craig Wing was first at the Roosters, his contract was being paid by Souths as Souths had been kicked out of the comp but they'd signed him on a guaranteed contract. It was a 3 year deal. This was all out in the open. When it got to the final year of his contract, the NRL all of a sudden said it was news to them and fined the Roosters for the contract situation.

Ah, and some people still question why the NRL cops a hammering from league fans and the media.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Farah being a destabilising influence on the playing/coaching group and him being a popular, well recognised icon of the club who would be potentially valuable in the commercial world are not mutually exclusive.
I think that's the crux of it. The NRL seem to be suggesting that you can't have both, when you clearly can.

Iafeta

Referee
Isn’t this the same as when the Warriors got done for having post playing career options offered to Steven Price and Ruben Wiki? They didn’t declare these options in the cap and lost points as a result ... Price for what it’s worth never worked for the club post his playing retirement. Admittedly I haven’t read it all in great detail so perhaps it’s very different, but theoretically for both Price and Wiki the opportunities post career were an inducement to lure them from Canterbury and Canberra accordingly and we got done for it.

I can’t recall if we got fined for it and we didn’t have an executive deregistered. Though if I recall correctly those deals were under the auspices of Mick Watson who had already left the club and quite probably had no potential to be reemployed by an NRL club anyway.

Whatever the final outcome of this very bad situation is, I hope that the reputation of Robert Farah isn't compromised.

'Robbie', as he's affectionately known as, has been a great example to young Lebanese-Australian people and has had a great career.

TheDalek079

Bench
Isn’t this the same as when the Warriors got done for having post playing career options offered to Steven Price and Ruben Wiki? They didn’t declare these options in the cap and lost points as a result ... Price for what it’s worth never worked for the club post his playing retirement. Admittedly I haven’t read it all in great detail so perhaps it’s very different, but theoretically for both Price and Wiki the opportunities post career were an inducement to lure them from Canterbury and Canberra accordingly and we got done for it.

I can’t recall if we got fined for it and we didn’t have an executive deregistered. Though if I recall correctly those deals were under the auspices of Mick Watson who had already left the club and quite probably had no potential to be reemployed by an NRL club anyway.

its a long time ago so i may be misremembering, but i thought there were undeclared cars involved too

its a long time ago so i may be misremembering, but i thought there were undeclared cars involved too

Nope, they weren't. In the Wing case the NRL reckoned they didn't know the salary situation applied to all 3 years of the contract, despite that part being public knowledege.

TheDalek079

Bench
Nope, they weren't. In the Wing case the NRL reckoned they didn't know the salary situation applied to all 3 years of the contract, despite that part being public knowledege.

i was referring to the post about the warriors rort. didn't mean to quote your post too. i think i had started to reply to it yesterday to ask for more info, but then i stopped as i decided to just google it instead. the forum must have somehow inserted that post in too. But thanks for adding more info :)

Front-Rower

First Grade
It is rorting the cap... Not sure it is de-register worthy

It’s all blown up because he came back to the club as a player.

Wobbie on a squillion, gets offloaded for the remainder of his contract then welcomed back with open arms on a minimum playing contract with the wink and a nod agreement to get a substantial salary in a post playing role.

What stinks is that no one knows if Cronk’s promised University education has been counted in the Rooster’s cap.

Latest posts