What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Poore ready to pull pin on Dragons

The Colonel

Immortal
beats the sh*t out of me...all I know is that Ando has been scratching his head since November and is still at a loss as to how it got to this bad.

I don't think there is any fan of the club who can understand us being anywhere near being close to the cap given the playing roster we currently have.

I don't think there is any fan of the club who can understand us being anywhere near being close to the cap given the playing roster we currently have.
the trouble is they aren't being paid on how well they play if so i think half the team would be playing for free, tautai would actually be paying the club every week

ParraFan09

Juniors
thats wat i dont understand is how are parramatta struggling from cap pressure but the dragons have enough room to keep all there current crop of players and sign fien to the club.

lewiscook

Juniors

I'd love someone in the media to sit Fitzy and Hags down to talk about Parramatta's recruitment.
You look at clubs like Brisbane, Melbourne and St george who have a number of class players in there squad on substantial amounts of income.

Tbh i reckon it goes beyond just paying overs in general to keep players.
It goes as far as a bad reputation our club with holds due to reasons i don't not that results in us being less attractive to high profile players.

They say it takes 18 months (if im not mistaken) to destroy a culture that is atttractive to fans, players and club officials and to be honest i think alot has happened in the time Hags to over to when he finished (likewise when at the knights) that has truely destroyed our beloved club.

Some of you may be asking what is DA doing, whats his plans for the future. . .etc etc. But tbh with you i wouldn't be expecting much for a while, we need to get behind DA because he is going to be hear for the long run and creating a club that is attractive to all people like we were!

GO PARRA!
Pride, Passion PARRAAMMATTTAAAA!

The Colonel

Immortal
the trouble is they aren't being paid on how well they play if so i think half the team would be playing for free, tautai would actually be paying the club every week

Regardless, there are a lot of players who are earning money they wouldn't at other clubs.....

lewiscook

Juniors
thats wat i dont understand is how are parramatta struggling from cap pressure but the dragons have enough room to keep all there current crop of players and sign fien to the club.

It's beccause they have one of the greatest NRL coaches to walk this earth, by the looks of things a great group running the show whom aren't killing there culture through disharmony and poor discipline.
Clubs like St George are clubs that Parramatta need to take note of.

Stagger eel

Staff member

well one things for certain, whilst most fans are looking forward to their weekend games our fans are looking forward to the coah's forum night in early July, and find that quite sad.

I'd love someone in the media to sit Fitzy and Hags down to talk about Parramatta's recruitment.
You look at clubs like Brisbane, Melbourne and St george who have a number of class players in there squad on substantial amounts of income.

Tbh i reckon it goes beyond just paying overs in general to keep players.
It goes as far as a bad reputation our club with holds due to reasons i don't not that results in us being less attractive to high profile players.
well if you were a forward playing for another club would you want to stay there with an established forward pack who share the workload or come to parra and be run ragged like hindy making 40 tackles a game while some of your teammates do half the work for double the money?

Pazza

First Grade
Matt Scott is an absolute engine.

He consistently makes meters and is strong as an ox. Would love to snare him - no-frills metre maker who never backs down.

I'd look at him, "the Shack" and someone like Hall - we could snare all 3 for a total of 500k a season - which should leave us around 200k-250k to do something about either our playmaking or our outside back situation...

yeah mate and you also put mateo at lock and we are looking a hell of alot better!

ParraFan09

Juniors
Matt Scott is an absolute engine.

He consistently makes meters and is strong as an ox. Would love to snare him - no-frills metre maker who never backs down.

I'd look at him, "the Shack" and someone like Hall - we could snare all 3 for a total of 500k a season - which should leave us around 200k-250k to do something about either our playmaking or our outside back situation...

matt scott would be a great pick up for parramatta SOO experience and his as tough as nails and can grind it out against any pack, shack would also be good, NO where near his prime yet but could reach it at parra
glen hall would have been good for our backrow its ashame that his gone to the bradford bull in ESL.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Yeah, we were reportedly $400k UNDER the cap this season, so have been able to front-load contracts and open up the extra $400k for next season, which has been used for part of upgrades to Creagh, Hunt, Morris and Scott, plus the signing of Fien and the imminent re-signing of Poore. Dean Young wouldn't have moved up by much.

The thing with Poore is that even though he has improved out of sight since his last contract and will now be a SoO rep too, he is only going up by 50k from 220k/season, which was massively overvalued.

Players are happy to stay for unders because of Bennett. Nathan Brown didn't have that.

ATM we are getting huge value out of Sailor (who is on minimum salary + incentives), Weyman (130k/season!!), Costigan, Saffy, Prior, Soward ... for starters. The key will be next season's batch of re-signings, and whether they will be willing to stay for unders.

Parra have Cayless on 400k+ and Finch was 350k+ .. indeed, I heard on the down low that Cayless was actually earning 450k, but don't believe it personally. Hindmarsh would be at least 300k, and Burt is probably around 200k (which is now massively overvalued given his drop in form the last 1.5 seasons). Mateo would be at least 250k, and Hayne would be the same.

Even ignoring Finch, as I don't know the settlement details, Parra are looking at something like 400+320+200+250+250 = close to $1.4m on 5 players. If you add Grothe, who would probably be close to 200k given his last contract was signed when he was in form, it's a lot of cap space for a few players.

Dragons had the same problem in years gone by with Bailey, Ryles, Gasnier, Cooper, Barrett, Timmins taking up a big slice of the cap.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think you just answered your own question, And if the 3 i just highlighted can't push a guy like Lowrie from first grade they can't be much chop either.

There's simply more to it than meets the eye. If it were as simple as dropping Lowrie and blooding Baumann/Robinson it would have happened by now.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Parra have Cayless on 400k+ and Finch was 350k+ .. indeed, I heard on the down low that Cayless was actually earning 450k, but don't believe it personally. Hindmarsh would be at least 300k, and Burt is probably around 200k (which is now massively overvalued given his drop in form the last 1.5 seasons). Mateo would be at least 250k, and Hayne would be the same.

Even ignoring Finch, as I don't know the settlement details, Parra are looking at something like 400+320+200+250+250 = close to $1.4m on 5 players. If you add Grothe, who would probably be close to 200k given his last contract was signed when he was in form, it's a lot of cap space for a few players.

If only your sums were correct... It's actually worse than that!

Cayless + Hindmarsh + Lowrie = 1.1 million dollars.

Hayne + Finch + Mateo = 1 million dollars.

Grothe = 250k

7 players = 2.6million - ouch...

The thing is, most clubs DO have a few players that are earning in the 300-400k mark, the big problem was that Parra had 2 of them who were not anywhere near SoO quality players - in Finch and Cayless.

Throw in the salaries of Grothe, Lowrie and Inu, and suddenly our cap is hamstrung by guys who are making SoO players money without being anywhere near SoO quality.
David Williams played for Australia, and he's looking for 200k per season - how is Grothe earning 250k?

Take back the money from Finch, Cayless, Grothe, Lowrie and Inu, and theres 1.5 million to spend.

1.5 million = 5 guys on 300k each, or 3 guys on 400k and 2 on 150k.

Imagine giving Hayne and Mateo 5 "300k" quality teammates - 2 real good props, an impact back rower, a halfback and a center.
Wow - it 'd be a great team!

Hagan really screwed up the cap situation, and unforunately it IS going to take a few years to do something about it...

Stagger eel

Staff member
honestly, some of those sallaries are just plain wrong...yes our cap is f**ked up big time, but some those players are definitely not on that much

Captain BF

Juniors
If only your sums were correct... It's actually worse than that!

Cayless + Hindmarsh + Lowrie = 1.1 million dollars.

Hayne + Finch + Mateo = 1 million dollars.

Grothe = 250k

7 players = 2.6million - ouch...

The thing is, most clubs DO have a few players that are earning in the 300-400k mark, the big problem was that Parra had 2 of them who were not anywhere near SoO quality players - in Finch and Cayless.

Throw in the salaries of Grothe, Lowrie and Inu, and suddenly our cap is hamstrung by guys who are making SoO players money without being anywhere near SoO quality.
David Williams played for Australia, and he's looking for 200k per season - how is Grothe earning 250k?

Take back the money from Finch, Cayless, Grothe, Lowrie and Inu, and theres 1.5 million to spend.

1.5 million = 5 guys on 300k each, or 3 guys on 400k and 2 on 150k.

Imagine giving Hayne and Mateo 5 "300k" quality teammates - 2 real good props, an impact back rower, a halfback and a center.
Wow - it 'd be a great team!

Hagan really screwed up the cap situation, and unforunately it IS going to take a few years to do something about it...

I like the line that i have highlighted, yes lets just take the money back from them. Nothing illegal about that.... Nothing personal Oldmancraigy, i just found this line funny...

Latest posts