What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Poore ready to pull pin on Dragons

Eelementary

Post Whore
So you've been following Myles' form with the Chooks this year?

He's only busted the 100m mark in 2 games at prop (he plays more minutes then our own Nathan Cayless who has topped 100m 4 times). And around the ruck in defence he's been ordinary - there's a saloon passage for the opposition up the middle.

You notice who was on when NSW made their most meters up the middle last night?

I'm not sold that Myles is the answer for us at prop. Why shell out 250 large for a guy who excels in the Origin arena, but not so much for his club?
Again - is it just the Roosters - I dunno!

But I'd prefer to throw the money at Matt Scott - who would be cheaper, and is MUCH better in the go-forward department.
Or even a Luke Stuart (is he off contract? I thought I remember hearing he was).

I'm just a Myles skeptic.

Luke Stuart re-signed with the Rabbitohs.

As for Myles, he was in brilliant form at Canterbury before heading for the big bucks and glamour of Bondi...

Pazza

First Grade
id rather forget myles, wait till 2011 for a top class prop! If we can get shacklton and move mateo back to lock this looks alot bettwe than waht we got atm:

8.cayless
9.keating
10.moi moi
11.hindmarsh
12.shacklton
13.mateo

oldmancraigy

Coach
Luke Stuart re-signed with the Rabbitohs.

As for Myles, he was in brilliant form at Canterbury before heading for the big bucks and glamour of Bondi...

Yeah - stagger already said that about Stuart!

So you think it's not risky to invest in someone who has been engaged in a couple of years of bad habits at club level?

He's alright carting the ball up - his lazy defence has had a couple of seasons of not being addressed, and bludging around the ruck is a hard habit to break!

I'd rather Franky Paul Nuuausala (chooks) or Micky Paea (Dragons) or chase big Cuthbertson (Manly)

I wouldn't pay any of 'em all that much - but it's better than investing our hopes in Myles (imo) - he'll just disappoint!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah - stagger already said that about Stuart!

So you think it's not risky to invest in someone who has been engaged in a couple of years of bad habits at club level?

He's alright carting the ball up - his lazy defence has had a couple of seasons of not being addressed, and bludging around the ruck is a hard habit to break!

I'd rather Franky Paul Nuuausala (chooks) or Micky Paea (Dragons) or chase big Cuthbertson (Manly)

I wouldn't pay any of 'em all that much - but it's better than investing our hopes in Myles (imo) - he'll just disappoint!

Of course it was a risk. But consider this:

* Was it a risk to sign a very unfit and very unahppy Fuifui Moimoi?

* Was it a risk to sign a brilliantly talented but sadly injury-prone Timana Tahu?

* Was it a risk to sign an erratic but talented Jason Taylor for 2001?

He'd be a risk, yes - but he'd improve this pack tenfold.

The Colonel

Immortal
id rather forget myles, wait till 2011 for a top class prop! If we can get shacklton and move mateo back to lock this looks alot bettwe than waht we got atm:

8.cayless
9.keating
10.moi moi
11.hindmarsh
12.shacklton
13.mateo

I don't think the starting six in our forward pack is that bad. Cayless needs to find some form and hasn't done for a while but potentially it can match it with most teams. The issue lies outside of the six. There is little quality in terms of impact and experience oustide the main group of players. The balance of the team is seriously lopsided.

It is clear that Hagan tried to adopt a similar policy to that of the Storm and Manly where the bulk of the money in your cap is spent on your top players and the rest of your 25 is made up of fringe players. The biggest issue is our fringe players lack experience at the top level as many of the players we purchased have played minimal first grade and were sourced from our lower grades rather than outside the club.

If we don't compete in 2010 I honestly believe we risk losing some of our better players to other clubs when they come off contract at the end of next year and which ultimately could place us in a bigger hole than what we are now.

ROGUE

Juniors
I don't think the starting six in our forward pack is that bad. Cayless needs to find some form and hasn't done for a while but potentially it can match it with most teams. The issue lies outside of the six. There is little quality in terms of impact and experience oustide the main group of players. The balance of the team is seriously lopsided.

It is clear that Hagan tried to adopt a similar policy to that of the Storm and Manly where the bulk of the money in your cap is spent on your top players and the rest of your 25 is made up of fringe players. The biggest issue is our fringe players lack experience at the top level as many of the players we purchased have played minimal first grade and were sourced from our lower grades rather than outside the club.

If we don't compete in 2010 I honestly believe we risk losing some of our better players to other clubs when they come off contract at the end of next year and which ultimately could place us in a bigger hole than what we are now.
Your last paragraph does bring up a interesting point, and i do recall after hayne had extended his contract he said something along the lines of he did prefer staying at parra cos we were a team which played in the finals regularly and were a better chance of a premiership than the other team which chased him [souths].Ow how times have changed:(

proto

Juniors
very cool then, we need a solid but elusive back rower + he has youth on his side. i hope he kinda sees the mess the roosters & in & just jumps ship

Pazza

First Grade
very cool then, we need a solid but elusive back rower + he has youth on his side. i hope he kinda sees the mess the roosters & in & just jumps ship

i thought he was 26, but it doesnt matter cause we dont hold onto players that long lol

Pazza

First Grade
I don't think the starting six in our forward pack is that bad.

you are right they are not terrible at full strength, but Cayless is letting us down big time. I wonder if he would improve if Mateo and Shacks where in there with him, helping making metres.

Mannah is developing very well imo, i just wish we had someone with skill like a solomona or widders coming off the bench!

ParraFan09

Juniors
i think if we can pick up either shackelton or scott, just that one signing will be a real big bolster to our forward pack. and if we have the money i think that we need a second rower that can play the same role that widders use to play for the club.

ParraFan09

Juniors
i wasnt even thinking beau scott tbh, but i just think we need someone with speed, who can offload, good foot work and can turn a match in a heart beat.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/raider-may-be-a-bolter-for-the-blues-20090605-bxcu.html

Shane Shackleton is tipped to re-sign with Sydney Roosters today. The second-rower's manager, Steve Gillis, told Sin Bin Shackleton was likely to announce his future today and it subsequently emerged that Roosters recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan has a meeting scheduled today with Gillis. Parramatta have been trying to sign Shackleton but the feeling in Eels country has been that they were likely to miss out. St George Illawarra were apparently interested in Shackleton if they lost Justin Poore but the NSW Origin prop is set to re-sign.

looks ike we can't get either

Fathead

Bench
I know that we need a few forwards but I dont know if we need a rep player. There will be plenty of solid forwards around at years end. Look at the raiders forward pack. No rep players there but the forward pack itself are pretty good.

On a positive note, if you want to see the future, have a look at young Pat O'Hanlon from Toyota Cup. This kid can be anything... about 191cms near or over 100kgs and only about 17 years of age. AND is a life long supporter of the eels !!!!
Apparently he is a good kid, very positive, respectful and professional in his approach to the game.
Im telling you in two years, other teams will be wishing that they had this kid.
He will play for Australia.
Add Tim Mannah who will be a front line prop and future captain for the eels.
Things will look up.
We dont need to pay 400k for Poore or Myles.How about pay 200k and get the next Poore (Merrin) ???

On a side note, I hear a whisper that the Mannah boys may be reunited soon...