What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos captain for Tri Nations - Buderis???

Game_Breaker

Coach
Ghoulies said:
So going by this whole, 'Johns is the incumbent' theory, shouldn't he have been Blues captain?

Johns wasnt selected in game 1. same thing happend with Fittler last year

Johns Magic

Referee
Ghoulies said:
So going by this whole, 'Johns is the incumbent' theory, shouldn't he have been Blues captain?

Mate he may as well have been.

Even if Johns hasn't got the (C) next to his name for the Kangaroos you know he will be the one leading the team on the field.

Unlike Lockyer, Johns won't lie down and die when his team needs him.

RABK

Referee
Ghoulies said:

He is good mates with Bedsy, he was offered it but declined. He had enough pressure.

I wouldn't be suprised if Johns is captain next year. Johns will get a huge push from the NSW ARL selectors for the Australian captaincy.

RABK

Referee
Johns Magic said:
Mate he may as well have been.

Even if Johns hasn't got the (C) next to his name for the Kangaroos you know he will be the one leading the team on the field.

Unlike Lockyer, Johns won't lie down and die when his team needs him.

Well said Magic.

RABK

Referee
NPK said:
No, it can contribute to show that he is a good leader.

Which Lockyer quite obviously isn't.

Judging by last nights performance i'd hate to be in the trenches with him.

Ghoulies

Bench
Johns Magic said:
Mickey Mouse could captain that Broncos team and they'd still be top of the table.
Really? The Broncos haven't got more than 3 tries in 'em without Lockyer.

Murphdogg1

Juniors
What are you guys arguing over, who is going to be the captain of the team who finishes second in the Tri Nations to nz?

haha just jokes you will probably kill us, hopefully not though can't wait!

Johns Magic

Referee
Ghoulies said:
Really? The Broncos haven't got more than 3 tries in 'em without Lockyer.

Lockyer averages 1.1 try assists per game and his team's on top of the ladder.

Johns averages more than that and his team's dead last.

Look, I've only seen Mickey play once or twice, but from what I've seen he would be able to set up the likes of Hodges, Tate, Bott, Hunt and Berrigan. Sure, defensively he's not much, but then again neither is Lockyer.

I still stand by my comment that Mickey Mouse, if given the chance, could be captaining the Bronco's to the top of the ladder. Just give him a chance and I'm sure he'll show everyone what he's capable of.

NPK

Bench
What a coincidence. Newcastle supporters are the ones not wanting Lockyer to be captain.

Ghoulies

Bench
So I take it you use stats because you don't actually watch them play?

I said after game 2 that Johns had taken back his mantle as the games premier player, but suggestions of Lockyer being a nuffy are ludicrous. Just look at the Broncos vs Eels, or Broncos vs Roosters; he had complete control over the game, yet he racked up something like 1 and 2 try assists respectively. Or even take a look at Origin 2, Lockyer made 2 try assists yet he definitely didn't have a happy game.

Johns Magic

Referee
NPK said:
What a coincidence. Newcastle supporters are the ones not wanting Lockyer to be captain.

What a coincidence.

Queenslanders are the ones wanting Lockyer to be captain.

Johns Magic

Referee
Ghoulies said:
So I take it you use stats because you don't actually watch them play?

I said after game 2 that Johns had taken back his mantle as the games premier player, but suggestions of Lockyer being a nuffy are ludicrous. Just look at the Broncos vs Eels, or Broncos vs Roosters; he had complete control over the game, yet he racked up something like 1 and 2 try assists respectively. Or even take a look at Origin 2, Lockyer made 2 try assists yet he definitely didn't have a happy game.

Where did I label him a nuffy? I said he's not the legend the media portray him as, but never a nuffy.

If Scott Prince, Craig Gower, Brent Sherwin, etc. were the main playmakers in the Broncos team instead of Lockyer then they would still be on top of the table. None of them are great players, but they are all good players. That's all Lockyer is. A good player.

Ghoulies

Bench
Where did I label him a nuffy?
You're right, you didn't. But with comments like this you may aswell have....
To try to even compare Lockyer to Buderus let alone Joey Johns is a travesty
A travesty? Buderus is a very good player, but like Lockyer(at 5/8), he is yet to do anything special at Origin level.
If Scott Prince, Craig Gower, Brent Sherwin, etc. were the main playmakers in the Broncos team instead of Lockyer then they would still be on top of the table.
Why do you think that? Brisbanes forwards are good enough to give Lockyer enough room, but the amount line breaks we make through Lockyer is rediculous(to the points where he leads line break assists). If you put Shaun Berrigan outside any playmaker other than Johns or Lockyer he'd barely have half a dozen tries.
None of them are great players, but they are all good players. That's all Lockyer is. A good player.
Whether you like it or not, Lockyer has already sealed himself as a great fullback, and if he gains some consistency and finally takes his club and international form to Origin level, he will be remembered as a great (attacking
wink.gif
) five-eighth.

Johns Magic

Referee
Ghoulies said:
Whether you like it or not, Lockyer has already sealed himself as a great fullback, and if he gains some consistency and finally takes his club and international form to Origin level, he will be remembered as a great (attacking
wink.gif
) five-eighth.

Yes, he's a champion fullback. But he's got a long way to go to be considered a champion 5/8.

ausraider

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Yes, he's a champion fullback. But he's got a long way to go to be considered a champion 5/8.

I think it all comes down to forward pack.Even Johns would have struggled behind that QLD pack.

Mr Saab

Referee
This is a non issue...Lockyer will be captain for the next 5 yrs. thankyou linesmen, thankyou ballboys

JJ

Immortal
anyone can see Johns should be captain when available, and Lockyer's merely a stand-in

Mr Saab

Referee
only knights supporters can see that. the best player doesnt always deserve to be captain. Mal Meninga was not the best player on the roo tours of 1990/4 but he was still captain. Johns had his chance, was injured for an extended period of time.
In that time Lockyer led 2 successful roo tours overseas. If Johns was injured for one or two tests then he would have regained his spot...but he missed something like 10 tests. Lockyer took the mantle and he ran with it.