What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos team for French

Joker's Wild

Coach
Every poster defending Gidley is a Newcastle fan, surprise surprise.

Is there one non-Newcastle fan that believes its a deserved selection? I doubt it.

And its only Tigers fans who have defended Farahs selection in the squad too.

Whats your point?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
If these stats are to be believed, Hodges (24 receives) and Hayne (15) had the ball more than Inglis (15) and Morris (8). That would also indicate that the problem wasn't Hodges, it was that Hayne just didn't do alot when he got the ball.

i think the problem with stats is that without context they eman very little, hodges (if he touched it 24 times which i doubt) mainly seemed to receive the ball by being at dummy half 10-15m in from the sideline, likewise most of haynes touches were from similar positions. when contrasted with inglis's touches which came from long balls and backlines moves of course inglis is going to have more opportuinty with the ball to run or pass.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
nobody complains about nuffies like Josh Morris,White,Lewis and Shillington getting picked

actually they do, but these players dont have a lot of better players in squad ahead of them. we can complain abotu white and shillington all we want but there's no other props we can use ahead of them in the squad. likewise josh morris is there cos there were 4 centres taken over and 2 are injured -you do the math

with gidley 3 fullbacks got taken over and the first 2 are light years ahead of him yet we have the form player of the year catching a cold whilst gidley gets the fullback job. its unbelievable the ride he gets in rep footy. remember the test againt the kiwis several eyars ago where gasnier got knocked out -they moved brett stewart from the starting fullback position to the wing to put gidley (bench) at fullback...

Joker's Wild

Coach
He was pedestrian in attack and f**ked up the halves even more by selfishly calling for the ball at the wrong time. He is a 1st grade player that's it.

Im gonna have to pull you up here champ. Both Campese and Wallace were useless for NSW this year and Farah was little better. They f**ked things up for themselves and Gidley was quite obviously trying to take on more than he could handle to make up for the lack of direction.

Did he succeed? No. Did he do what any other NSW captain would have done to try and halt the slide? Yeah, he did.

The bloke tries his guts out for the full 80min (when he gets 80min) and coaches love that type of player in their sides. Does this make him a good rep player? Maybe not but when the chips are down you know that he is not going to give up, which is more than can be said for alot of "superstars" in our game who switch off when the going gets tough.

Saying he is not in the top 5 fullbacks in the game is a joke also. You can put Stewart, Hayne and Slater above him but any other candidates are purely speculative.

Hunt (going to AFL)
Bowen (past it an injured)
Patten (imo a great club man but lacks real spark)
Campbell (past it rep wise)
Dugan (certainly has promise but is still green NRL-wise let alone at rep level)
Boyd (Still learning the fullback trade and lacks creativity)

Joker's Wild

Coach
actually they do, but these players dont have a lot of better players in squad ahead of them. we can complain abotu white and shillington all we want but there's no other props we can use ahead of them in the squad. likewise josh morris is there cos there were 4 centres taken over and 2 are injured -you do the math

with gidley 3 fullbacks got taken over and the first 2 are light years ahead of him yet we have the form player of the year catching a cold whilst gidley gets the fullback job. its unbelievable the ride he gets in rep footy. remember the test againt the kiwis several eyars ago where gasnier got knocked out -they moved brett stewart from the starting fullback position to the wing to put gidley (bench) at fullback...
But those decisions are made by the coach and noone else.

What possible reason would both Stewert and Sheens have to favour Gidley? What your saying simply doesnt add up

Last edited:

Cuppy

Juniors
Have you watched a Knights game in the last 3 years?
Campese had like 3 good games last year and the fact he played for Australia and NSW cheapens the value of both jerseys.

Gidley being NSW (C) cheapend the whole god dam State. If anyone thinks Gidley had a good origin series, I suggest you watch it again. He's an over rated Hack. Yes he is good for Newy he is not a rep level player.

Shorty

Staff member
The bloke tries his guts out for the full 80min (when he gets 80min) and coaches love that type of player in their sides. Does this make him a good rep player? Maybe not but when the chips are down you know that he is not going to give up, which is more than can be said for alot of "superstars" in our game who switch off when the going gets tough.
This is a representative side, the best in the game are chosen for this team.
Trying your guts out, while being a great attribute, does not equal talent.
Gidley's not good enough.

Hunt (going to AFL)
Bowen (past it an injured)
Patten (imo a great club man but lacks real spark)
Campbell (past it rep wise)
Dugan (certainly has promise but is still green NRL-wise let alone at rep level)
Boyd (Still learning the fullback trade and lacks creativity)
JW, take off the blue and red blinkers will you, come on now.
The only players Gidley could be better than in that list are mayb Boyd and Dugan.

You can't say past it repwise, because we're comparing playing ability, in which Gidley has nothing on Campbell, or Patten and yes Bowen's injured but even then Bowen still has superior talent.

Gidley goes fantastic for Newcastle because the side is structured around the way he plays, which really doesn't fit into any sort of position.
It's almost a hooker/fullback hybrid.
As a result it's of no wonder that when he's used in representative teams, where all players are experts in their positions, that he falls behind and creates more problems than solutions.

I love Gidley, he has a great work ethic but he doesn't bring anything to representative level because he doesn't fit in anywhere.
Perhaps if his playing style changes this might be up for interpretation.

Joker's Wild

Coach
JW, take off the blue and red blinkers will you, come on now.
The only players Gidley could be better than in that list are mayb Boyd and Dugan.

You can't say past it repwise, because we're comparing playing ability, in which Gidley has nothing on Campbell, or Patten and yes Bowen's injured but even then Bowen still has superior talent.

Gidley goes fantastic for Newcastle because the side is structured around the way he plays, which really doesn't fit into any sort of position.
It's almost a hooker/fullback hybrid.
As a result it's of no wonder that when he's used in representative teams, where all players are experts in their positions, that he falls behind and creates more problems than solutions.

I love Gidley, he has a great work ethic but he doesn't bring anything to representative level because he doesn't fit in anywhere.
Perhaps if his playing style changes this might be up for interpretation.

But thats just my point Shorts, this "not even in the top 5 fullbacks" arguement is based on peoples opinions and nothing more.

If I was starting a brand new side today, it would be hard pressed for me to not go for Slater, Stewart or Hayne for my starting fullback. The rest I consider less value than Gidley given the requirements of the modern game.

Sure Bowens got more natural talent but he is as injury prone as a player comes and lacks height and confidence under the high ball.

Campbell is much the same height wise and is a weaker goal line defender

Patten is Mr Consistency, and thats great, but he lacks line breaking ability and an X factor that the top 3 boys possess.

Hodges should be permanently rested.

That way he can focus on his main passion of cupping his balls.

justin.jpg

This is a representative side, the best in the game are chosen for this team.

Hold up, wait a minute, don't go there cos I aint wit it.

Let me assist....The best Australians in the game are chosen for this team.

You're welcome.;-)

THE MASTER

Juniors
Eric grothe jr. Should be in the aussie team he was rated the best player on the field in the arl grand final 2009 by a major sydney paper

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I will be happy for the new guys

Enjoy the game J Morris, M Jennings and C Cronk.

Would like to see Shillo get some good minutes.

Looks like Farah will get 80 minutes so I hope he works a combo with Thurston/Lockyer/Cronk.

I hope Lockyer gets a decent break with Cronk to half and Thurston to 5/8.

I also hope big Petro gets a good rest and when Lockyer comes off, N Hindmarsh takes over the (c) ( As Civ will be resting too.)

mxlegend99

Referee
I'd also like to see Nathan Hindmarsh get the (c) next to his name if Darren Lockyer is rested. He and Petero Civoniceva are the two best candidates for the job IMO. They're both great players with an awesome work ethic, plenty of experience and best of all they're reliable.

I can't picture either player costing Australia a chance at winning the game (that's a dig at Kurt Gidley for his Origin performance).

Raider_69

Post Whore
Campese had like 3 good games last year and the fact he played for Australia and NSW cheapens the value of both jerseys.

Wow. I mean wow.
Goes to show why your a Giddley supporter

3 good games? The guy racked up about 19 dally m points in 10 games. You hack :lol:
He was the most dominate player in the comp at the time. Same way Hayne was this year.

Giddley's never earnt a rep jersey in his life, all be handed to him on a platter. He's just not rep quality. If anyone is cheapening the rep jersey's its Giddley

And ftr, Giddley didnt make 2 mistakes in Origin, he made any number of them. He made two gigantic f**k ups, but that doesnt mean his woeful position, terrible defence, inept attacking displays were not mistakes
The guy had argueably his worst year ever. Shouldnt have ever played rep footy, let alone this year

JM has it 100% spot on, heart and soul of the knights and he plays a role for them perfectly. Good club player. Not a rep quality player, never has been, never will be.
Dugan has been in Fg for half a year and im comfortable saying he's a better fullback than Giddley already. Let alone guys like Slater, Hayne, Patten, Hunt, Stewart. The list goes on.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Im gonna have to pull you up here champ. Both Campese

Oh you mean the guy who got the ball approximately 10 times, and set up NSW's only legitmate try. And was controlling the only attacking side that looked even remotely dangerous. The ONLY back in the entire team who didnt miss a tackle, in a game we lost due to inept defense

ohh yea, he f**ked himself :lol: you twit

Farah gave all the ball to Giddley and Wallaces side and they did f**k all, at least when it went to the other side with Jennings, Campese, Creagh and Hayne, we looked like scoring. It amazes me to this day why on earth we elected to attack through Wallace, Giddley, Lyon and McManus.

FTR, fullbacks i rate higher than Giddley from 2009.
Slater, Hayne, Hunt, Dugan, Stewart, Patten, Campbell, Boyd...
Not to mention guys like Hodges and Inglis are better fullbacks than he is when they play there
Im sure if i thought more i could name 10 NRL players who are better fullbacks then Kurt Giddley

Boganater

Juniors
If thats the case then they might as well use Gidley's rep jerseys to clean the floor of a wank booth.

Latest posts