What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keating Gone?

The Colonel

Immortal
what about investing in some our young talent?
I hear O'Hanlon goes pretty good.
Karl Filiga? Tim Robinson? Mitch Allgood? Taniela Lasalo?
lock them away now and then maybe for a change we will get to see the in the blue and gold instead of crying when the help another club beat us.

Tim Robinson hasn't really kicked on as many would have thought. Lasalo and Allgood could well be decent prospects and I hope the club is looking at using them soon if the need arises.

Filiga, well I won't hold my breath - has scored three tries in two games but could be back in Bundy Cup too at any stage if players are available.

O'Hanlon is an exciting prospect and should get a go late this year or early next.

We also have to look to the fact that we are likely going to lose experienced players sooner rather than later in Hindmarsh, Cayless, Tahu and others over the coming few seasons. Many of our upcoming NYC players are just out of SG Ball and are probably twelve months or more away from being considered.

Relying on the juniors is one way but the club also needs to look outside and freshen up the place a little as well. There are plyers that hve been in the system for a long time that haven't lived up to the hype.

Delboy

First Grade
In the end , it will be the strength of the recruitment to work alongside the juniors which is the key.

A retired senior player said to me the other day, " you can't rely on the young players in the side to give you enthusiasm and experience, if you have no leaders you fail"

What he was saying is that the hard heads lead the young guns, we need to ensure that the recruitment is strong and we don't overpay to retain.

Still the most disappointing thing are the players not retained by supercoach, Farrer,Hodkinson. Tony Williams, Maloney, John Williams, David Williams, Fa aoso, Zeb Taia , what a waste of talent.

Bazal

Post Whore
In the end , it will be the strength of the recruitment to work alongside the juniors which is the key.

A retired senior player said to me the other day, " you can't rely on the young players in the side to give you enthusiasm and experience, if you have no leaders you fail"

What he was saying is that the hard heads lead the young guns, we need to ensure that the recruitment is strong and we don't overpay to retain.

Still the most disappointing thing are the players not retained by supercoach, Farrer,Hodkinson. Tony Williams, Maloney, John Williams, David Williams, Fa aoso, Zeb Taia , what a waste of talent.

Yeah...Maloney, Hokko, and Taia especially. It'd be fantastic to have the Williams boys as well cos they're good Hills Bulls boys :p

Delboy

First Grade
It's painful to watch the 2 half backs play the way they are, when neither wanted to leave, supercoach and daisy were a blot on the landscape.

That is not to say other coached haven't made mistakes, just not so many in such a short period, they kept the good ol boys from Newie, (Finch and Lowrie on big dlrs) at their expense.

jk13

First Grade
talking about leaders, gee 70 cents a litre has to be one of the best. one player i wouldn't mind paying overs for.

Delboy

First Grade
Just remember, DF signed supercoach without consulting the board or anyone

Think he was the only one who thought there was a coup in doing it, remember when the incoming coach spent about 9 months trying to stay in newie and then shrugged his shoulders when they said no. We got a real good one there, no interest in the club and awful understanding of our values and retention. Hardly ever seen at lower grades or juniors as he stayed at home till the last minute and returned immediately the game finished, can't blame him in a sense with teenage girls, but what a cost those 2 years were.

Eelementary

Post Whore
so the goalpost has now moved from metres to bending the line :lol:

He's running hard and making metres. What's your point?

Then again, maybe I am being too generous in expecting your opinions to make sense, what with you willing to pass on O'Donnell and all and sign a bunch of nobodies instead....

Craig Johnston

First Grade
He's running hard and making metres. What's your point?

Then again, maybe I am being too generous in expecting your opinions to make sense, what with you willing to pass on O'Donnell and all and sign a bunch of nobodies instead....

ben smith is currently ranked 46 out 54 backrowers to have played so far this year in average metres => 45 per game, the leaders like watmough, thaiday, laffranchi etc all average over 100 a game. for blokes that average more than 50 minutes a game he is DEAD LAST

:lol: i find your justification of ben smith making metres f**king hilarious, but you keep battling. your knowledge of league runs parallel with knowing f**k all outside big names

Eelementary

Post Whore
You give it to him in spades yet you call him a big name?

People such as your good self who rely on statistics to seemingly "prove" their point have NFI. You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Statistics are a flawed science.

But please - continue using your stats to cement your argument.

Fact is he's been our best forward this year. Testament to that is the fact that everyone on here said how much we missed him against Cronulla. But not you. No. Hence it is you who's clearly lacking in knowledge.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
You give it to him in spades yet you call him a big name?

People such as your good self who rely on statistics to seemingly "prove" their point have NFI. You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Statistics are a flawed science.

But please - continue using your stats to cement your argument.

Fact is he's been our best forward this year. Testament to that is the fact that everyone on here said how much we missed him against Cronulla. But not you. No. Hence it is you who's clearly lacking in knowledge.

i gave it to who in spades? O'Donnell? show me where I did that? i never bagged him, all i said is that we shouldn't be loading top level $ on 1 backrower when we are better with signing a few promising ones on the edge of rep footy.

seeing you call the likes of pettyborn, matulino and proctor nobodies says all i need to know about what you know.

mate, you got your arse served with the numbers for ben smith. stats don't prove everything but 2 + 2 does equal 4, and far more concrete than the subjective jibberish you're resorting to

TheRam

Coach
Parra Pete I too watched the U/20's and thought O'donnell was a standout. What made made me choke was when they mentioned he was a GREYSTANES JUNIOR. Why isn't he playing for the Eels?

That Joey Grima bastard wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

Stagger eel

Staff member
That Joey Grima bastard wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

on that occasion regardless if it was Joe's poach or not, it's fair game given that he never played junior reps for Parra, that would of been our fault for not picking him up!

Kornstar

Coach
I think it is clear that we have no problem producing or identifying junior talent, our biggest issue is selecting the best of the lot and keeping them, ala Hodkinson, Williams (Dave and Tony), Farrar, Tonga, Taia etc.

I know not all of them go on to bigger and better things but looking at the amount of ex-Eels in the NRL there are certainly some that should have been kept by us......i remember watching Hinchliff play the lower grades, now he is playing in a starting side for Melbourne, WTF???? Bellamy said on the radio that he is the best matured player he has ever bought, that is a huge praise!!!

Why can other clubs get the best out of these players but we can't????

TheRam

Coach
on that occasion regardless if it was Joe's poach or not, it's fair game given that he never played junior reps for Parra, that would of been our fault for not picking him up!

Just on Joey, Staggs, is there any chance of him coming back to Parra. I watched him on the weekend and boy was I jealous of Cronulla for having him. Do you know if we are trying in some way to get him back and just as important, would he be interested in coming back?

TheRam

Coach
I think it is clear that we have no problem producing or identifying junior talent, our biggest issue is selecting the best of the lot and keeping them, ala Hodkinson, Williams (Dave and Tony), Farrar, Tonga, Taia etc.

I know not all of them go on to bigger and better things but looking at the amount of ex-Eels in the NRL there are certainly some that should have been kept by us......i remember watching Hinchliff play the lower grades, now he is playing in a starting side for Melbourne, WTF???? Bellamy said on the radio that he is the best matured player he has ever bought, that is a huge praise!!!

Why can other clubs get the best out of these players but we can't????

On Melbourne, boy do they know how to bring players on and fulfill their promise. Especially players kicking games. Apparently they train the kickers using AFL techniques. Why can't we just copy them. Look at what they have done to Maloney's kicking game.

Kornstar

Coach
Would love to have Zeb Taia back, I was so upset when we released him to the Knights. Spewing!!!

Agreed! Watched him come through and thought he was good enough for NRL, then Hagan decides to let him go, mid season at that!!!!!! Hagan was terrible for this club in so many ways!!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Just on Joey, Staggs, is there any chance of him coming back to Parra. I watched him on the weekend and boy was I jealous of Cronulla for having him. Do you know if we are trying in some way to get him back and just as important, would he be interested in coming back?

I don't say this lightly RAM, but Joey is still blue and gold through and through and if we were to offer him a position at the club than he wouldn't think twice..

the bloke has been at our club for 20 years and continues to live 12 minutes from Parra stadium, he would of worked with every one of our coaching staff and is still friends with them all, unfortunately, for Joey there probably isn't a position for him atm.

thanks to Hagan, Joey decided that it would be best to continue his career elsewhere.

Parra Steve

Juniors
Im not sure if Zeb would be the player he is now if he didnt leave for the Knights. Sometimes a change of clubs does wonders for a player. I didnt see him improving under Hagan and going to the Knights was the best thing he did, id have him back in a heartbeat though.

Latest posts