What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping Count of RLWC tickets purchased

brendothejet

First Grade
Ive been thinking about the whole situation and Im sorta glad they didnt give away thousands of tickets just to fill stands.

Imagine paying 35 bucks to watch tonga v samoa and the bloke next to you got em for free. wouldnt be much incentive to support the cause.

They should have sent a mail out to every family of a junior player in the country offering a discounted family pass or a free pass to the australia games with the purchase of a family pool match.

The more i think about it the more i realise it wouldnt have been hard to sell out the grounds.

WITH THAT SAID,

We are currently above the average for the last two cricket world cups. I would think we can probably stay up there too.

If we can turn around and point to this at the end of it it might help put some perspective on the tournament, as well as the popularity of international RL

Simo

First Grade
Ive been thinking about the whole situation and Im sorta glad they didnt give away thousands of tickets just to fill stands.

Imagine paying 35 bucks to watch tonga v samoa and the bloke next to you got em for free. wouldnt be much incentive to support the cause.

They should have sent a mail out to every family of a junior player in the country offering a discounted family pass or a free pass to the australia games with the purchase of a family pool match.

The more i think about it the more i realise it wouldnt have been hard to sell out the grounds.

WITH THAT SAID,

We are currently above the average for the last two cricket world cups. I would think we can probably stay up there too.

If we can turn around and point to this at the end of it it might help put some perspective on the tournament, as well as the popularity of international RL

There is always that problem, and its one that is a pain. But IMO it hurts the tournament and gives the many many negative media writers to ammo to keep writing negativety about it when there are empty seats everywhere (like 1/3 filled stadiums).

The cricket world cup is a very different kettle of fish and we would hope a 2 hour exciting game of footy is easier to get people to a game as opposed to 2 nuffie cricket nations playing for 10 hours.

The 20/20 WC when it takes off will blitz the one day crowds.

MsStorm

Bench
I still dont think 10k in canberra is a good look, seems some are thinking 10k is good.

I would rather flood the game with free tickets, I dotn care, the money will be made from TV ratings and good exposure from the cup, and that hasppens with people turning on the TV and seeing full stadiums.

If we are getting 10k crowds people will laugh at the tournament again and it will continue to have negative press like the dribble from the bloke rebeca wilson.

Give the tickets away to the lower games imo.

Agree. The AFL gave away 10,000 free tickets to last Friday night's International Rules game in Melb.

brendothejet

First Grade
People seem to think that you make money from tv ratings. As in 1 million people watching equals 1 million dollars.

it doesnt work like that.

there has to be a fine balance between promoting the event using free tickets, and at some stage backing yourself and the product to make people pay.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
People seem to think that you make money from tv ratings. As in 1 million people watching equals 1 million dollars.

there has to be a fine balance between promoting the event using free tickets, and at some stage backing yourself and the product to make people pay.

True. The TV rights money has been signed off already. The only use for TV ratings would be quoting them to sponsors in the next World Cup in 5 years time, (which will be in England).

Exactly, which is why the crowd figures are not doing us much good. TV ratings are effectively worthless in terms of making money for this tournament so we need all the supposed "fans" of the game to get off their arses and go to the games. It's also one of the reasons I'm not very sympathetic to some of the people whinging about Nein's delayed telecast. Some of these people live in Sydney yet didn't go to the opening ceremony but whinge about not seeing it live on TV. This is one of RL's biggest problems - lazy, cheap fans who think they have a divine right to sit at home and see everything on TV free of charge and live.

brendothejet

First Grade
im broke because of this World Cup - lol... as im sure many other forumers.

Still, cant wait to get on my plain to melbourne in about 3 hours :D

Brutus

Referee
Well I've made it to two games thus far, but still feel a little guilty that I haven't been to more. So far it's been games closer to the coastline for me.

I'm pissed off the Semi play-off game isn't in Sydney. Would have gone to that for sure, even if it was out at Penrith. 6.55pm on a Monday night for that game (probably Samoa v Fiji which will be a rip snorter) seems a little odd. The again, it's not far off a regular MNF timeslot.

Newcastle should be the next WC stop for me on Sat night.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I've also been to 2 games, though considerring only one's been played in SEQ I think that's a good effort :lol:

I think this tournament has raised Brisbane's biggest problem: we have no middle-sized stadiums!

For a rugby league game we could play it at:
1) Lang Park - 52,500
2) Dolphin Oval - 10,000
3) North Ipswich Reserve - 9,000
4) Kougari Oval - 5,000

Someone at the Jets really needs to start pushng for a 15-18k stadium & an NRL licence, get a Sydney team to play a game there.

Anyways thats something for the NRL forum...

Simo

First Grade

Sure, im not saying anything like 1 mill people = 1 mill bucks.

My point with free tickets is simply this:
* - our WC is bashed from pillar to post as a joke that noone cares about in the media which then flows on to the everyday sports fan (not those on here, who obviously are more passionate about RL).
* - 9k in 27,000 seat stadiums looks dreadful and only reinforces this to the casual viewer needed to maximise the $$$
* - Look at what union have done in the early 2000's, free tickets ensured full stadiums all of a sudden and that (obiovusly with aus little golden age) made it seem like people cared. Now they sell them.
* - once people turn on their TVs and take notice of full stadiums, then the positives of the games are reported more than the lack of interest.
* - Long term this will mean more TV dollars and more success and FFS hopefully a TV netwrok that will shown the tournament live on TV when the kids wanting to play sport can watch it.

Its just my opinion that full stadiums are the first step to our long term WC success. Score blowouts will happen regardless in any WC.

ledzep

Bench
Larger crowds also mean more merchandise sales as well as food/beverage sales (although none of the money from food/drinks would go to the RLIF would it?)

Simo

First Grade
Larger crowds also mean more merchandise sales as well as food/beverage sales (although none of the money from food/drinks would go to the RLIF would it?)

Would depend on the deal with the stadium as seen in the NRL. Some get handed money (ANZ stad) other pay heaps (liechart)

Brutus

Referee
I've also been to 2 games, though considerring only one's been played in SEQ I think that's a good effort :lol:

I think this tournament has raised Brisbane's biggest problem: we have no middle-sized stadiums!

For a rugby league game we could play it at:
1) Lang Park - 52,500
2) Dolphin Oval - 10,000
3) North Ipswich Reserve - 9,000
4) Kougari Oval - 5,000

Someone at the Jets really needs to start pushng for a 15-18k stadium & an NRL licence, get a Sydney team to play a game there.

Anyways thats something for the NRL forum...

Ballymore really needs to be more of an option for RL in Brisbane. Swallow some pride.

Don't forget Purtell Park! :)

yakstorm

First Grade
Ireland v Samoa - 5,300 had been moved on Friday afternoon. Be interesting to see if more turn up now, especially as both teams have a chance to make the Semi.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Ireland v Samoa - 5,300 had been moved on Friday afternoon. Be interesting to see if more turn up now, especially as both teams have a chance to make the Semi.

Hopefully more fans will turn up after watching them against Tonga. I really hope we crack at least 10,000.

Why doesnt they ARL go give about 5,000 tickets to kids at school for the match?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
PNG vs England - 10,780
Scotland vs France - 9,287
Australia vs NZ - 34,157
Tonga vs Ireland - 6,165
Samoa vs Tonga - 11,787
France vs Fiji - 9,213
PNG vs Kiwis - 11,278
Australia vs England - 36,297
Scotland v Fiji – 9,000
Ireland v Samoa - 7,000
England v NZ - 12,000
PNG v Australia - 20,000

Penrith Final - 5,000
Rockhampton Final - 5,500
Semi-final Qualifier Pool – 12,000
Semi Final (Brisbane) - 25,000
Semi Final (Sydney) – 20,000
FINAL – 50,000

Predicated Average: 16,359

Black is confirmed crowds and red is what i think we will get for the up coming matches.

Lets hope we can bet the numbers in red.

yakstorm

First Grade
5,600 moved for Ireland v Samoa now... Hopefully the naming of Wayne Kerr gets some more people out.

Latest posts