What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KISS for the GF??? (2023 GF entertainment discussion)

Pneuma

First Grade
My comment was quite clearly a sly dig at PR’s comment. He obviously meant to say impersonator rather than ‘immaculate’.

Went right over your head because you have the sense of humour of a rotting pear.
That last sentence ffs I nearly pissed myself laughing!

Told my wife about the Tina Turner show and she reckons it’s a great idea.

Regarding Kiss she commented that Simmons is an ageing pervert. Nuff said

gUt

Coach
Seems pretty churlish to object to this idea given the timing of so many different factors (good and bad)

30th anniversary of the most successful advertising campaign RL has had.
Turner's passing
The show is in town around GF day and are in red hot form

It has the potential to get major extra publicity for the code because for once it's not some irrelvant old has-been rocker, it's not Jimmy Barnes (although I expect he'll be involved here given his associations with Turner), it's not some flavour of the month bland corporate pop nonentity (see Rogue Traders) and it's bound to get the crowd up.

The inclusion of King Stingray on the day is the icing on the cake.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Is having an award winning Musical perform some of the best moments in the game Worst then Kiss?

70 year old men, who haven't had a hit for 30 years
As far as I'm concerned they're both shit nostalgia acts, but at least Kiss isn't a f**king cover band!

"But what about the nostalgia!!!"

The Great Dane

First Grade
Seems pretty churlish to object to this idea given the timing of so many different factors (good and bad)

30th anniversary of the most successful advertising campaign RL has had.
Turner's passing
The show is in town around GF day and are in red hot form

It has the potential to get major extra publicity for the code because for once it's not some irrelvant old has-been rocker, it's not Jimmy Barnes (although I expect he'll be involved here given his associations with Turner), it's not some flavour of the month bland corporate pop nonentity (see Rogue Traders) and it's bound to get the crowd up.

The inclusion of King Stingray on the day is the icing on the cake.
It's worse than an aging has-been rocker, it's a dead one...

The only people that will care about this are a handful of over 45s whom remember the original campaigns, it won't create any publicity for the sport whatsoever. It's blatant nostalgia bait, and the anniversary and passing is just an excuse to wheel it out again instead of doing their job.

They would have carted Barnesy out in his wheelchair to sing simply the best if TINA The Musical wasn't playing in Sydney at the moment, and we all know it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It isn't cover band you f**ken simpleton.

It is a musical that plays her songs, As I said who is in the country that would be a better fit?
So it's a glorified cover band, because that's so much better...

You can try to make it out to be something it's not all you like, but it is what it is.

gUt

Coach
It's worse than an aging has-been rocker, it's a dead one...

The only people that will care about this are a handful of over 45s whom remember the original campaigns, it won't create any publicity for the sport whatsoever. It's blatant nostalgia bait, and the anniversary and passing is just an excuse to wheel it out again instead of doing their job.

They would have carted Barnesy out in his wheelchair to sing simply the best if TINA The Musical wasn't playing in Sydney at the moment, and we all know it.
You're carrying on like it's a totally desperate and random choice. In a year where a global star has been mourned, one with lingering ties to our code, whose songs are STILL played at parties and weddings every weekend all around the world, it's an excellent left-field choice.

Even your attempted zinger about Barnsey in the wheelchair makes the opposite point you intended given the above and given his past collabs with her.

if TINA The Musical wasn't playing in Sydney at the moment
Good thing they are, adds to this being a good decision.

Keen to hear who you would've asked to perform instead?

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
You're carrying on like it's a totally desperate and random choice. In a year where a global star has been mourned, one with lingering ties to our code, whose songs are STILL played at parties and weddings every weekend all around the world, it's an excellent left-field choice.

Even your attempted zinger about Barnsey in the wheelchair actually makes the opposite point you intended given the above and given his past collabs with her.

Good thing they are, adds to this being a good decision.

Keen to hear who you would've asked to perform instead?

It is on around the news, How many older people who like her and musicals might tune in now to the coverage?

my primary school aged children do the nutbush at school Discos.

Added to the fact League fans love Simply the Best. It is what you want from the entertainment here

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
My comment was quite clearly a sly dig at PR’s comment. He obviously meant to say ‘impersonator’ rather than ‘immaculate’.

Went right over your head because you have the sense of humour of a rotting pear.
haha no immaculate madonna is a show based on Madonna, sound familiar?

As far as I'm concerned they're both shit nostalgia acts, but at least Kiss isn't a f**king cover band!

"But what about the nostalgia!!!"
I personally never liked the song nor the ad campaign back in the day but I appreciated it resonated with many people and still does, rather mysteriously. We discussed the Tina show being the GF entertainment on this very thread when she passed away. I wondered if they would go for a record nut bush dance by getting the crowd involved. It’s hokey and cringe but it’ll make news, perhaps even globally if they’re smart enough to go for it. The NRL would’ve been nuts to pass this up.

Iamback

Coach
This immaculate Madonna was unheard of, at least by me. So they're clearly not on the same scale as TINA - The Musical. Which has run through Broadway, West End, etc etc, and probably be seen by millions of people by now.

People whinge RL is too bogan, only booking cheap tv stars.

A proper production booked using a proper tour promoter - which hopefully helps get better stars moving forward. Still people complain

Wb1234

Referee
Is having an award winning Musical perform some of the best moments in the game Worst then Kiss?

70 year old men, who haven't had a hit for 30 years
I don’t mind kiss

fmd this thread is hilarious

snd guys Perth reds tongue is firmly in cheek

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is on around the news, How many older people who like her and musicals might tune in now to the coverage?

my primary school aged children do the nutbush at school Discos.

Added to the fact League fans love Simply the Best. It is what you want from the entertainment here
What no Jimmy Barnes? surely we can get him involved someway?

Wb1234

Referee
Who gives a stuff what non rugby league fans think

if it’s jimmy Barnes or the hoodoo gurus again (one thing gallop did really well that’s my team was fantastic)

they’ve tried getting new acts it’s boring af

I loved that one too

Latest posts