What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knights Lower Grade Stuff

Old dog

Bench
We still have Hastings for 2025 so providing his health/injury holds up could get by and try Sharpe and Sutton at 7 & 6 whilst keeping a lookout for experienced 7 for 2026

Yosh

Coach
I reckon we need a halfback with real NRL experience even if they are a youngen.

Why isn't Gamble a 7? I reckon he'd go just fine with Pryce and Ponga there in the spine with him.

perverse

Referee
Why isn't Gamble a 7? I reckon he'd go just fine with Pryce and Ponga there in the spine with him.
Not sure we've seen the game management from him to think he could switch, but I'm not as down on trying it as others might be. Just doesn't seem like an organiser. The problem with replacing Hastings is that the one thing he does provide - direction - is hard to find at NRL level. His body moves around like a busted arse, but as long as he can keep his hands on the steering wheel, he's still hard to replace.

macavity

Referee
Not sure we've seen the game management from him to think he could switch, but I'm not as down on trying it as others might be. Just doesn't seem like an organiser. The problem with replacing Hastings is that the one thing he does provide - direction - is hard to find at NRL level. His body moves around like a busted arse, but as long as he can keep his hands on the steering wheel, he's still hard to replace.

Seriously, if he could hoof it another 20m he would be a perfectly serviceable half. Don't need him to be quick (would be good though) but the leg just hinders his long kicking game so massively.

I reckon Jacko heads back to England after this deal. I reckon we will offer him another deal but he will get more heading there. I can't imagine much of an NRL market for him given the injury issues and reputation (which I think is media noise at this stage btw).

aqua_duck

Coach
So Australian schoolboys championships concluded today with NSW CCC dominating NSW CHS in the final with Jack Hillier one of the try scorers for NSW CCC.
Cody Hopwood started in the front row for NSW CCC and from all reports was one of the players of the tournament and named in the Australian schoolboys squad for the second year running.
Heard a few people mention that he’s arguably the best forward to come out of our junior ranks (Harold Mats/SG Ball) since Boyd Cordner.

PhilGould

Bench
Already upgraded into the top 30 for this season a couple of weeks ago and apparently extended through 2028

perverse

Referee
I'm keen to see this kid play and see what all the hype is about. Does anyone know what the cornerstones of his game are? Hard worker? Powerful? Ball skills?

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm keen to see this kid play and see what all the hype is about. Does anyone know what the cornerstones of his game are? Hard worker? Powerful? Ball skills?
He’s a big unit, 6’5 and around 105kg, good work rate, physical, can offload and hard to stop close to the line.
Unlike alot of the forwards that have come through in recent years for us he’s got the physical attributes to be more than just a solid player.
What kind of player he turns out to be will be interesting, they could easily turn him into a 115kg monster but I think he’d be more useful as a 105kg middle forward that plays big minutes like a Patrick Carrigan

perverse

Referee
He’s a big unit, 6’5 and around 105kg, good work rate, physical, can offload and hard to stop close to the line.
Unlike alot of the forwards that have come through in recent years for us he’s got the physical attributes to be more than just a solid player.
What kind of player he turns out to be will be interesting, they could easily turn him into a 115kg monster but I think he’d be more useful as a 105kg middle forward that plays big minutes like a Patrick Carrigan
Well, sounds great to me. I guess the next question is how far off is he? How many years are we operating with effectively 1 less player in the top 30 that can play first grade? Or are we basically signalling here that we expect him to hit first grade in 2025?

PhilGould

Bench
Wouldn't rule out a Hopwood debut later this season but more likely next year, whether he'll be ready to play first grade every week at 18/19 is a different conversation but I wouldn't put anything past him at this point. He's already filled out a fair bit in just the past few months so it'll be interesting to see where he's at after a ful NRL pre-season.

Seems like they'll be banking on at least one of Hopwood, Sebastian Su'a and Paul Bryan to play a significant role with DSaf gone. Probably need to bring in a cheap experienced prop from somewhere, especially if Hetherington is gone as well.

perverse

Referee
Wouldn't rule out a Hopwood debut later this season but more likely next year, whether he'll be ready to play first grade every week at 18/19 is a different conversation but I wouldn't put anything past him at this point. He's already filled out a fair bit in just the past few months so it'll be interesting to see where he's at after a ful NRL pre-season.

Seems like they'll be banking on at least one of Hopwood, Sebastian Su'a and Paul Bryan to play a significant role with DSaf gone. Probably need to bring in a cheap experienced prop from somewhere, especially if Hetherington is gone as well.
We keep hearing about Leo's brother, Tyrone. I've all but assumed he's coming at this point. It sounds like there's going to be a lot of unproven, but potentially exciting talent coming into the forwards from next year onwards.

Woody90

Juniors
Tbh I'd trade every one of our juniors for a young above average half.

The phins locking up katoa on an average of about 600k for the next 4 years is the deal of the century

For those that watch our juniors a bit closer than me, do we have any at all on the horizon?